Start by marking “Divided Lives” as Want to Read:
Divided Lives

Divided Lives

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Despite the large number of books devoted to women's issues in the last twenty years, Washington Postreporter Elsa Walsh felt that the literature was missing a crucial element--the voices of women themselves. Setting out to probe the myriad layers of women's lives and to illuminate the interior struggles women face at work and at home, Walsh spent over two years interviewi ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Anchor (first published August 7th 1995)

Divided Lives by Elsa Walsh was on Entertainment Weekly's Best Seller List of 1995 which is a good thing because I don't know if this book would carry over so well in today's times.

It was well written, and readers got an honest portrayal of the private lives of three women who supposedly "have it all" meaning glamorous jobs, supportive husbands, and financial security. The women were News Correspondent Meredith Vieira, Conductor Rachel Worby, and Breast Surgeon , Dr. Alison Estabrook.

The main
Walsh focused on three women in this book. The first is Meredith Viera. Viera talks about how conflicted she feels about working and being a mother.

The second woman is a conductor and she ends up marrying a Governor of WV. She's conflicted about her role as First Lady and her career goals (and nevermind the question that comes up about if she'd like to adopt).

The third woman is Alison Estabrook who is a breast surgeon at Columbia. I am not sure exactly what the conflict was, but her story was ri
I saw Walsh interviewed on TV and heard her proclaim she hoped the women of all financial strata who were struggling with life's frustrations would take heart when they realized even celebrities have those frustrations. Then she covered 3 different ladies who were dealing with how many nannies they could take along for an international interview, dealing with male chauvinism, dealing with the day-to-day interactions of spouses in a hectic schedule. I felt that Meredith Vieira and Rachel Worby ne ...more
May 06, 2008 Fleurdelilley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fleurdelilley by: My Dad
I first read this book in my twenties, before I had to make a lot of the decisions facing the women in this book and it still had a great impact on me. This is three different stories about real women facing choices about career, having children etc. I remember all the stories, but found Merideth Viera's story the most interesting and conflicting. I recommend this to women of all ages.
A wonderful portrait (or 3 portraits) of the difficulty of being a top woman in male-dominated fields. Walsh follows three women, a TV news reporter, a conductor and a surgeon, and their battles to succeed and balance their lives. The book dives intimately into their lives. It is an easy, enjoyable and powerful read.
Fascinating look at three successful women in their struggles to balance personal and professional lives. I highly recommend it for their candor and the insight it gives into how women find it difficult to "have it all."
Read just after it was published since one of the three women profiled was Rachel Worby, then wife of then-Governor Gaston Caperton. As I recall she didn't come across that well.
A wonderful work of 3 prominent women and how they cope with today's society - non-fiction.
Good book to explore deeper issues we women face
Kate is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2015
Gloria marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Eriana Burdan
Eriana Burdan marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Maria Moore
Maria Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014