Start by marking “Hell's Highway: A Chronicle of the 101st Airborne in the Holland Campaign, September-November 1944” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  15 reviews
September 17, 1944. Thousands of Screaming Eagles–101st Airborne Division paratroopers–descend from the sky over Holland, dropping deep behind German lines in a daring daylight mission to seize and secure the road leading north to Arnhem and the Rhine. Their success would allow the Allied army to advance swiftly into Germany. The Screaming Eagles accomplish their initial o ...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Presidio Press (first published August 31st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hell's Highway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell's Highway

Jimmie Kepler
George Koskimaki was 101st Airborne Division commanding general, General Maxwell Taylor’s radio operator. He wrote the three-book history of the 101st Airborne during World War Two. Hell's Highway: Chronicle of the 101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign, September - November 1944 is the second book in the series.

I had previously read Cornelius Ryan’s “A Bridge to Far”, Stephen Ambrose’s “Band of Brothers” and “Citizen Soldiers”, Robert Kershaw's “It Never Snows in September: The German
Tony M.
The book that I read is titled,"Hell's Highway" by George E. Koshimaki. What initially attracted me to this book is, the fact that I'm a real war geek so I like reading and expanding my knowledge about wars. What made this book more attracting was the fact that it was about World War II and that it is mainly about the 101st Airborne Division of the U.S army.
As I mentioned before this book focuses on the the 101st Airborne during their campgain in Holland during World War II. Since this book is
Eugene Roman
George Koskimaki writes from the perspective of the Screaming Eagles, the 101st airborne division and from the Dutch underground in the second world war. The purpose of the book is no surprise. He wants to portray the experiences of the men and women in operation Market Garden. The sentence are short and clear. George also includes diaries from the men and women about the events throughout the story. It is about the rapid initial success of the operation and then the seventy-two day struggle to ...more
Ellen
Feb 24, 2015 Ellen added it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This author is a military historian not a mainstream writer and while I'm sure this book holds a lot of meaning to the people who fought in the Market-Garden campaign (or who understand current military jargon), as a lay person I struggled to relate to it and finally gave up. I want to learn the history of the screaming eagles but will try my luck with some of the other books written about it. This author collected a large amount of dense, detailed information which is pasted together chronologi ...more
Adrian
An outstanding history of Market-Garden from the perspective of members of the 101st Airborne division and numerous Dutch civilians.

If you are looking for an overall, operational level survey of Market-Garden, this book isn't it; for that, take a look at "A Bridge to Far" by Cornelius Ryan. This book is an in the mud look at the experiences of individual soldiers during the campaign.

The book is comprised mostly of snippets from interviews, diaries and journals of the soldier and civilian partici
KOMET
This book represents a scrupulous and faithful account of the combat experience of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division in the Holland Campaign --- on the part of the author, himself a veteran of the 101st. The reader is also made aware --- through eyewitness accounts --- of the contributions made by Dutch civilians, the Dutch underground, and some British units during this bitter and protracted campaign. This is a good book for any serious student of the Second World War.
Ido
This was a very hard book to get through - just like D-Day with the Screaming Eagles by Koskimaki. The material was very dense and detailed which was great but it was hard to get a grasp on all of the things going on at the same time. It makes for an awesome historical reference! I plan to read The Battered Bastards of Bastogne soon - I just need a bit of a break from this level of depth.
Wayne
I could not finish this book. It was basically a series of narratives about specific actions during the Holland Campaign in WWII. There was no overall framework presented. It was just a summary of interviews. Further, if several people were involved in an action, the story about the action was repeated by interviewing different people who were there. Not a great effort.
Greg
Great book. Lots of great accounts from the men that were actually there and put together very nicely by the author. It's the second time I've read this book, as I truly enjoy this series by George Koskimaki.
David Keckan
Very easy read. Regardless of your knowledge or lack of understanding you will walk away with a wonderful accurate depiction from the author George Kosamski who served with the 101st airborne during WWII.
Art
This book does good at covering the 101st during operation Market Garden in Holland. Lots of first hand accounts I've never read before. Great book.
Lacey
This is a must read for those who read about our history.
David
Book jumped around too often. Hard to get into the story.
Joe
It's no dispatches
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Brett Marshall
Brett Marshall marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Lucas Roberts
Lucas Roberts marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Joseph Corti
Joseph Corti marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Christian J
Christian J marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Tonight We Die As Men: The untold story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment from Toccoa to D-Day
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • Utah Beach: The Amphibious Landing and Airborne Operations on D-Day, June 6, 1944
  • Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan
  • A Company of Heroes: Personal Memories about the Real Band of Brothers and the Legacy They Left Us
  • Behind Hitler's Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for both America and the Soviet Union in World War II
  • The Road to Stalingrad: Stalin`s War with Germany
  • Juno Beach: Canada's D-Day Victory, June 6, 1944
  • The Road to Arnhem: A Screaming Eagle in Holland
  • Roll Me Over: An Infantryman's World War II
  • The Ghost Mountain Boys: Their Epic March and the Terrifying Battle for New Guinea--The Forgotten War of the South Pacific
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand at Wake Island
  • To Lose a Battle: France 1940
  • Hitler's Pre-Emptive War: The Battle for Norway, 1940
  • All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe
  • September Hope: The American Side of a Bridge Too Far
George E. Koskimaki is a former paratrooper who jumped into Normandy on June 6, 1944, as General Maxwell Taylor’s radioman. He went on to become a preeminent historian of the 101st Airborne Division, having interviewed hundreds of fellow veterans for their firsthand accounts. He currently lives in Northville, Michigan.
More about George Koskimaki...
The Battered Bastards of Bastogne: The 101st Airborne and the Battle of the Bulge, December 19,1944-January 17,1945 D-Day with the Screaming Eagles Hell's Highway Hell's Highway Hell's Highway: The True Story of the 101st Airborne Division During Operation Market Garden, September 17-25, 1944