Start by marking “Justice and the Politics of Difference” as Want to Read:
Justice and the Politics of Difference

Justice and the Politics of Difference

In this classic work of feminist political thought, Iris Marion Young challenges the prevailing reduction of social justice to distributive justice. It critically analyzes basic concepts underlying most theories of justice, including impartiality, formal equality, and the unitary moral subjectivity. The starting point for her critique is the experience and concerns of the ...more
Published September 11th 2011 by Princeton University Press (first published August 17th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Justice and the Politics of Difference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice and the Politics of Difference

Jamie
Oct 28, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I worship Iris Marion Young.
Gill
Feb 18, 2009 Gill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read for those interested in justice, oppression, and resistance. What do these things have in common? Moreover, how do we bind together through all our differences and fight against oppression.

She critiques idea of impartiality in justice and law. She shows the scaling of bodies, where we locate justice. We must unite as groups of people because we are oppressed as groups of people. Economics is not the only oppression. Five faces of oppression are: exploitation, marginalization,
Bigg Khalil
Jun 05, 2007 Bigg Khalil rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after reading an excerpt of the five faces of oppression (one of her chapters) in a social justice reader I assigned as text in a class I co-taught. Then I only read the 5 faces chapter. Years later, I went through the entire book. While I typically disagree with making a concept such as oppression so essentialized, I like how Young took that and applied it throughout the book. This is an excellent read for those interested in social justice philosophy and for those who wish t ...more
Viv
Oct 14, 2016 Viv rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent reference that I imagine I will continue to consult when I need clear, carefully reasoned example arguments describing the problems of "class-only" conceptions of socialist revolution as well as evocative definitions of oppression, domination, and democracy.
Paul Crider
Iris Marion Young is by turns insightful and naive. The central thrust of her work is that justice should be understood not as a question of how to distribute wealth or other quantities, but as overcoming oppression and domination. Oppression is constraining an individual's development, through exploitation, marginalization, violence, cultural imperialism, or powerlessness (the five faces of oppression). Domination is preventing an individual from participating in determining their own actions a ...more
Li Sian
Feb 13, 2015 Li Sian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a really thought-provoking book - Iris Marion Young rejects the distributive paradigm in justice discourse, arguing that we should really be talking about power dynamics and oppression as a structural concept. Interestingly, for her welfare capitalism represses political difference because it reduces that to a question of distribution - how much to distribute? What technologies to use to distribute? - when we should be asking more fundamental questions about how power works.

I think the most
Matt
Apr 04, 2009 Matt marked it as only-have-read-certain-parts-of-it  ·  review of another edition
I read all of it (for a college class) except the last chapter on affirmative action and the "myth of merit." I remember it as a book that argued for a critical understanding of and affirmation for group differences, and for ideals of justice that make room for these differences. Pretty thick at times, but the arguments were well-laid out, as I can still recall points she made all these years later.
Elle
Nov 30, 2009 Elle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arguing that theories of justice concerned with the distribution of goods ignore institutional oppression, Young illuminates these forms of oppression and suggests an alternate way of dealing with plurality. Although I feel she does not arrive at a solution, I am grateful for her insights into how oppression works, and wish these could be addressed. It's an effort worthy of more than consideration.
Desiree
Nov 10, 2011 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was originally for a social political philosophy, but I keep going back to it. It really does a good job at challenging the status quo democracy in our nation and inserts the issues of systemic oppression of brown and black people while laying emphasis on how we constantly perpetuate white supremacist ideals. Love it.
Kathleen
May 16, 2011 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chapters four and six are some of my favorite chapters out of any political theory book. Young's rejection of universal humanism in chapter four is a devastating critique of universal humanism and other "impartial" ideals (like colorblindness, etc.). The clearest rejection of universal humanism I have come across. Great for teaching about the privileges of dominant groups.
Joan
Apr 27, 2009 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I especially appreciate Young's definitions of oppression; in particular, cultural imperialism. "The culturally dominated undergo a paradoxical oppression, in that they are both marked out by stereotype and at the same time rendered invisible." Just about the most succinct summing up of that aspect of my life as I have ever read.
Rachel
Oct 31, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: socialjustice
I read this in college in a course on Race and Ethnicity. This book was really helpful to me, and it also sparked my interest in workplace democracy.
Claire Melanie
Apr 04, 2016 Claire Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly thought provoking and lucid application of critical theory to late modern capitalist systems in liberal democratic countries. Very well considered and persuasive
Peter
May 24, 2011 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was just too much for me! i stopped at page 91 of 260. i wanted to get really into it and i did..... but only for moments. oh well. [sigh]
Claire M
Apr 12, 2016 Claire M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The pinnacle of thought-provoking political theory. I loved it and could not get Young's theories out of my head.
Josh Duxbury
Jan 25, 2017 Josh Duxbury rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of aspects of social justice.
Gia Gh
May 27, 2016 Gia Gh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far one of the greatest theory books with a focus on intersectionality.
Chase
Chase rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2009
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Joonas
Joonas rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2013
Ale
Ale rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2013
Mercury Meulman
Mercury Meulman rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Liz Chalmers
Liz Chalmers rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2011
Marc Wallach
Marc Wallach rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2017
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
May 20, 2010
Stephen Lovegrove
Stephen Lovegrove rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Shruthi
Shruthi rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Mai Reda
Mai Reda rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
  • Zoopolis: A Political Theory of Animal Rights
  • The Struggle for Recognition: The Moral Grammar of Social Conflicts
  • The Politics of the Family and Other Essays
  • Critical Theory: Selected Essays
  • Between Facts & Norms: Contributions to a Discourse Theory of Law & Democracy (Studies in Contemporary German Social Thought)
  • Passions of the Mind: Selected Writings