Start by marking “How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age” as Want to Read:
How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,899 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
AN UP-TO-THE -MINUTE ADAPTATI ON OF DALE CARNEGIE ’S TI MELE SS PRESCRIPTI ONS FOR THE DIGITAL AGE

DALE CARNEGIE’s commonsense approach to communicating has endured for a century, touching millions and millions of readers. The only diploma that hangs in Warren Buffett’s office is his certificate from Dale Carnegie Training. Lee Iacocca credits Carnegie for giving him the c
Published (first published 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age

Tamara
Dec 04, 2011 Tamara rated it really liked it
Simple advice: Listen. Remember people's names. Smile. And yet, I forget.

My only criticism: I would have liked more examples that related to the digital realm. If I'd read the original "How to Win Friends", I may not have found enough new information to be satisfied.

Favorite Tidbits

You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.

The two highest levels of influence are achieved when (1) peop
Antonio Rossano Mendes Pontes
This book is absolutely fantastic. You have to read it. Since there are a great too many things to say, I will try to summarize those most important quotes / advices / teachings in short phrases so that you can have a general idea of it. For me, the most important lessons from Dale's revealing book are:
(1) "NOBODY IS EVER GUILTY; NOT EVEN SERIAL KILLERS", so, dont expect self-condemnation from anyone. If you need to call someone's attention for some wrong doing, and bring the person to your side
Greg Talbot
Jun 17, 2012 Greg Talbot rated it it was ok
The original Carnegie classic "How to to Win Friends and Influence People" is a 10 out of 10 of classic books. "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" was a pick me up I read when I was 23, and influenced me greatly.

So why the low score here. Well, the big thing that is missing is the Carnegie voice. The stories here are more relevant to our era - rival directors at a fortune 100 company, using the King's Speech as a movie to reference overcoming struggle...but it doesn't ring as authentic or in
Rickey
I find the wording and perspective interesting on, essentially, the same thing that the book written by Dale Carnegie shared. Here is an overview of this book's Contents:

Part One

Part Three
How to Merit and Maintain Oth
Marina
Oct 25, 2015 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great advice for, not only business, but also for private life. it just shows you how to care more, be friendly and non-judmental with its consequences, i.e. when people react to the affirmative and sincere you.
Daniel Taylor
It's easy to get social media wrong. When you're sitting behind you're keyboard, you can forget that you're writing something that will be read by a real person and not a machine.

To get social media right requires the same relating skills that you need when dealing with people face to face. This modern-era version of the classic book on connecting to people teaches the core principles of engaging with anyone, how to make a lasting impression, how to gain and keep trust, and how to inspire change
Louise Silk
Dec 11, 2011 Louise Silk rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
This is the classic information. Even though it claims to be updated for the digital age- It isn't.

The contents tells the story:

essentials of engagement:
bury your boomerangs
affirm what's good
connect with core desires

6 ways to make a lasting impression"
take interest in others' interests
smile
reign with the names
listen longer
discuss what matters to them
leave others a little bit better

to merit and maintain trust:
never say: you are wrong
admit faults quickly and emphatically
begin in a friendly way
acce
Cyn Armistead
Jul 24, 2015 Cyn Armistead rated it it was amazing
I was a teenager when my father recommended Mr. Carnegie's original book to me, and at 48 I finally got around to reading this version. I'm glad that I did, as it was well worth the time. I would recommend this book to absolutely anyone who deals with other humans in any capacity at all. And yes, I'll be suggesting it to my own daughter right away.
Ernest
Apr 03, 2013 Ernest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The original book published in 1936 held many truths that appeared evident but were rarely consciously noticed or followed. This book continues in to provide many useful ideas and advice.

What this book arguably lacks in the folksy wisdom and examples of the original book and its limited focus on social media and communication is balanced by the book not limiting itself to purely digital communication and examples and demonstrating that the points transcend the digital age.

The points made in thi
Daniel Fok
Oct 25, 2015 Daniel Fok rated it really liked it
Overall great book. It can help you get things done faster. While the title seems manipulative, it's really about making a positive change, where everyone can mutually benefit. It's just a matter of how you use this new found knowledge. Business leaders can spur on their corporations with this, teachers can spur on their students with this. Basically, it's applicable to EVERYONE.

I've borrow this from the library to see if it's worth buying. Now, it will definitely be sitting on the shelves of my
Vice
Mar 17, 2016 Vice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, simple advice for everyday life, I should read this book every few months and tweak my behavior.
Colemanreadsabook
Mar 06, 2016 Colemanreadsabook rated it it was ok
It seems like this modern contextualization of the self-help classic was forwarded to me by someone's grandmother as part of a long e-mail chain that promises health, wealth, and happiness. Behind the book's thinly veiled conservative agenda - see its idolization of figures like Ronald Reagan - lie some earnest messages with tangible value to them. However, it's the book's flimsy anecdotes and common sense ideas that are particularly jarring. Each chapter is focused on one beneficial idea, i.e. ...more
Yulia Vorotyntseva
Jan 20, 2015 Yulia Vorotyntseva rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
If you haven't read the original "How to Win Friends" or if you just want to re-read it -- read this book. If you expect something new from this edition -- abandon this hope.

I read the classic "How to win friends" before, and when I took this book, I expected it to have some additional valuable content, like in Bolles' "What color is your parachute". If you read that book, you want to have the last edition. Compared, say, to 90-s editions of "Parachute", 2012 contains a lot of advice on netiquet
Synthia
Mar 04, 2014 Synthia rated it liked it
Shelves: business
I liked it better than the original but it doesn't touch much on the media aspect nor how to do things more so TO DO these things.

Part 1- Essentials of Engagement
Connect with core desires
Be positive
Affirm what's good --> encourage

Part 2 - 6 Ways to Make a Lasting Impression
Take interest in others interests
Smile
Remember names
Engage: Listen longer, discuss what matters to them, leave others a little better (add value; place a high priority on altruism)

Part 3 - How to Merit and Maintain Others'
Weegee Sachtjen
Jul 25, 2013 Weegee Sachtjen rated it it was amazing
With the speed and instant gratification of technology, there are times that the finer points of communication and connection are lost. This book offered many reminders about what it takes to "win friends and influence people" but mostly about how to maintain those relationships during the digital age. It comes down to the golden rule - treat others as you want to be treated.
Carissa
Apr 03, 2014 Carissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with many ideas to put into play. I wish all entrepreneurs and business owners would take the time to read this. They'd have a much more productive workforce if they could only apply a few of these techniques. I know for myself, I will most definitely be listening to it again.
Julie Hersh
Nov 21, 2011 Julie Hersh rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by my publicist. Great refresher on what's important when you're working with others. Also some good advice when dealing with social media. Giving it to my teenage daughter to help promote interpersonal skills ;)!
Challa Fletcher
Not as smooth as the original How To Win Friends, but it has some value and a lot of truths.

The book that started this all was a great read. Though I read a lot of books i usually don't like these genre of business/influence books (more of a fictional girl) but I was greatly encouraged to try the original How To Win Friends and I loved it! Loved it so much I bought my own copy. With that in mind when I saw there was this "Digital Age" version I was excited to give it a try.
Disappointed is too s
Joseph
Nov 17, 2014 Joseph rated it really liked it
How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age is a worthy update to Dale Carnegie’s original book. This edition does a great job of taking today's societal norms into account and juxtaposing them to the importance of genuineness, one-on-one contact, honesty, integrity, and respect. This, the book argues despite the advances of technology and access.

In dealing with inevitable conflicts, it does well in finding solutions that allows each party to save face and keep a mutual respect, w
Ross
Aug 18, 2015 Ross rated it it was ok
Honestly, just a rehash of Dale Carnegie's classic of the same title, sans "in the digital age." Pretty much all the advice is the same with some minor updating.

The reason for the second star: some of the studies cited were compelling and encouraging (though completely tailored to the How to Win Friends methods (e.g., Facebook photo smilers have more friends with other Facebook photo smilers than do Facebook photo frowners)).

The bottom line: Just take the original book and apply the same ideas
Tom Steck
Nov 05, 2014 Tom Steck rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book mostly because of popularity of the original version and with the hope that this "Digital Age" edition will be updated to present times.

Pros:
+ Most of Carnegie's advice make sense and look useful

Cons:
- low level of ideas exploration replaced with rather shallow stories
- basic "Digital Age" substance not contributing in any significant way to the main ideas
- repetitive and rather boring

Final score: 1/5
"I did not like it" but I can imagine that with deeper ideas exploratio
Shannon
Jan 20, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
This book takes the classic "How to Win Friends" approach and discusses it in the context of email communication and social media. In the end, the book describes how the original training is the most important aspect of digital communication. While there are some specific techniques suggested for digital communication, I found the book a bit lacking with suggestions and examples. I also missed the BOLD summary statements and review sections of the original book. Recommended as follow-up reading ...more
Mariam Talakhadze
Great book. Should be on every leader's desktop.
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Apr 01, 2014 Tess Mertens-Johnson rated it it was amazing
The teaching of Dale Carnegie is updated in this book to add the digital generation.
The main focus of this book was communication. In these times of email, texting and instant messaging, people in the business and personal world need to think before they send. Know your audience, and put yourself in the shoes of the recipient before you send.
This is a great read for anyone who communicates in the digital age, especially managers or people in authority.
If it were possible, I would love to sit and
PeterBlackCoach
Jan 25, 2016 PeterBlackCoach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read the original Dale Carnegie tome over 35 years ago, plus recommended it to numerous clients, my daughters and having also re-read it myself, this updated version was timely to read - and the principles are even more relevant in our now instant hyper-connected world with email, social media etc. In fact, personal relationships and authenticity will become more of the strategic enablers and game changers than any social media application which at the end of the day are just connection t ...more
Frida
Sep 14, 2015 Frida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Butuh waktu cukup lama untuk membaca buku ini karena saya hanya membaca beberapa halaman setiap hari. Ada tips-tips di dalamnya yg bisa dijumpai dalam buku2 sejenis, tapi ada yg khas Carnegie. Salah satu yg khas tsb adalah prinsip komunikasi yg berdasarkan empati dan menaruh perhatian pada lawan bicara/org lain. Dalam konteks tertentu prinsip ini menjadi tdk relevan, dlm artian kita jg harus bersikap egois kadang2. Saya pribadi, tidak bisa terus2an bersikap baik dan rendah hati dg mengorbankan d ...more
Zhi Jian
Dec 03, 2014 Zhi Jian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people make the mistake of equating inspiration with implementation. To become great artists who can replicate the big picture, the student must learn to focus on the small particulars.

What could I have done differently during this assignment that would helped the other departments success.

Praise is given only when one achieves 'good' results; encouragement can be given any time, even when things go poorly.
1st, the praise you offer must be genuine and heartfelt, not just a tool to bide time
Cori
There are some good ideas here, but I did not find the audio-book very engaging. Some of the areas seem repetitive. It does seem like these things will help to build better relationships if I can control my knee-jerk reactions. I feel like in general I try to maintain good relationships, but while listening to this book I found some situations where I would act differently than suggested, and might be better served in trying to modify my reactions.

(view spoiler)
Stephanie Callaert
‘How to win friends and influence people in the digital age’ is an adaption of the book ‘how to win friends and influence people’ that Dale Carnegie first published in 1963. It was one of the biggest best-sellers of all time which even remains popular today. All the advice that Dale Carnegie gave in 1936 remains applicable today. But everyone knows that much has been changed. Particularly in the area of social media. That's why this book is so interesting. There are four main parts that are cove ...more
Richard
Jul 21, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having never read Dale Carnegie's much respected "How to Win Friends and Influence People" I thought I would instead try reading the "... In the Digital Age" version which tries to take Carnegie's wisdom from the original book and helps the reader apply it in the modern fast paced world, which includes the Internet and Social Media.

I found the book difficult to get into to begin with, finding it a mixture of insights and stories but few practical tips on how to apply Carnegie's ideas in the mode
  • Make Yourself Unforgettable: How to Become the Person Everyone Remembers and No One Can Resist
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • Go for Gold: Inspiration to Increase Your Leadership Impact
  • What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day
  • Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • Sun Tzu's the Art of War: Plus the Ancient Chinese Revealed
  • The Art of Dealing with People
  • The Nonverbal Advantage: Secrets and Science of Body Language at Work
  • The Values Factor: The Secret to Creating an Inspired and Fulfilling Life
  • Piano On The Beach
  • Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence
  • It's Not All about Me: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone
  • How to Work a Room, 25th Anniversary Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Making Lasting Connections--In Person and Online
  • 3 Seconds: The Power of Thinking Twice
Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (originally Carnagey until 1922 and possibly somewhat later) (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training, public speaking and interpersonal skills. Born in poverty on a farm in Missouri, he was the author of How to Win Friends and Influence People, fir ...more
More about Dale Carnegie...

“British writer G. K. Chesterton’s reply to an invitation by the Times to write an essay on the subject “What’s Wrong with the World?” Chesterton’s response: Dear Sirs, I am. Sincerely, G. K. Chesterton” 3 likes
“Save someone's face once and your influence with him rises. Save his face every time you can, and there is practically nothing he won't do for you.” 3 likes