Start by marking “Dark Entries (John Constantine Hellblazer Graphic Novel)” as Want to Read:
Dark Entries (John Constantine Hellblazer Graphic Novel)

Dark Entries (Hellblazer Original TPB)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  883 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Occult detective John Constantine has seen his share of strange things in his career, but nothing could prepare him for the horrors of…reality television. "Haunted Mansion" is currently the hottest show on tv, but when the macabre house actually starts attacking the contestants, Constantine is hired to be the ultimate mole. Locked inside with a cast of wannabe-celebrities, ...more
Published November 2010 by Panini Comics France (DC Comics) (first published August 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Entries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Entries

Michael
John Constantine, tempted by a fat wad of cash, agrees to troubleshoot the latest tv reality show, ratings phenomena 'Haunted Mansion'. Or so he's told. The contestants are isolated in a rambling mansion, filled with secret passages and tricked up fake paranormal effects. So far the show has wowed the viewers with a slew of strange happenings. The only problem is... none of the fake spooks and tricks have been triggered so far. So what are the contestants reacting too?
Lots of writers have writt
Titas (Emperor)
Constantine’s popularity is off the scale!
Dark Entries is a John Constantine story. Yes, the one and only John Constantine. But don't worry because it doesn't require any previous plots or base to read about him. Just to make sure you are on board, Constantine is a British exorcist. But in the most kick-ass way without any faith or holiness. Now that it is said, lets talk about the story.

John is called by a TV production house to check a reality TV show set on the basis of 'fear', in which willi
Sam Quixote
A Big Brother type house and it's contestants are being haunted by ghosts so the show's producer gets Constantine in to investigate. Things become stranger as none of the contestants can remember how they came on the show or much about their past. Then about the halfway point things get very Hellblazer and the story takes off.

I've never read Ian Rankin or a John Constantine: Hellblazer book so this was something of a gamble. Fortunately Rankin keeps the pace ticking over very nicely and the sto
Melissa
Andrew Greatbatch
This is the second entry in the Vertigo Crime series that I have read. The first one being Rat Catcher.

Whilst not being as good as Rat Catcher, in my opinion, this was still a great book with an unexpected twist, to say the least.
Shawn
Well, this was okay. I'll try not to be spoilerish. I was reading Alan Moore's SWAMP THING off the spinner racks back when J.C. first showed up (I still remember when he was so mysterious that there were theories he was meant to be Jesus Christ!) and kept reading his book, HELLBLAZER, up until shortly after Garth Ennis left (I stuck around for Eddie Campbell's short run but was unimpressed by Ennis' return). It is the nature of monthly comics that at some point, no matter how flexible the charac ...more
Robert
Perhaps I liked this a it more than I should have. I was not at all familiar with the paranormal detective John Constantine, so I was a bit taken aback with where this story led... namely a reality tv show in Hell. The artwork, one by Werther Dell'Edera, was basic pen & ink drawing, competent but unremarkable, it looked hurried. Had the art detail been fully realized, given real color, nuance and attention, it would have improved the product greatly. But, despite it's rushed look, the story ...more
Zachary Rawlins
Wish I could give it a three and a half - it doesn't quite merit a four, but it was better than a three. This is the second of Vertigo's ambitious hardback illustrated crime novels that I have had a chance to read, and the first to concern an existing character, Hell's Rake himself, John Constantine. Ian Rankin is a more than passable modern crime writer, and I have enjoyed a few of his books in the past, though his reoccurring detective character is not my fav.

This was a double-treat - a Consta
Quentin Wallace
Another great Hellblazer story starring John Constantine. What starts off as another reality TV show turns into something much different, and I can't say much more without adding spoilers. Let's just say Constantine once again finds himself in some trouble and he deals with the best way he knows, by the skin of his teeth! Some parts were a little silly but sometimes half the fun of the story is its absurdity. Great story for any Constantine fan or fan of Ian Rankin.
Tom
Clever concept that gets a little bogged down as it progresses but a generally entertaining and genuinely fun little book. Rankin does a nice job with John Constantine even if the ride is a little more broad than nuanced. Who needs nuance in hell, anyway?

As with a number of these neo-noir graphic novels, the art teeters on the edge between appropriately bleak and annoying sparse. Sometimes it's really difficult to tell what a panel is trying to tell me, though it generally becomes clear a few pa
Dragan Nanic
Constantine, such a unique figure that almost everything evolving him looks good.
Here is Ian Rankin's take on Constantine's story and I have to admit that it felt much more like Dylan Dog's (apart from some dialogue and the shortage of Groucho, of course). Being black and white is just reinforcing that feeling.
(view spoiler)
Avilovesbooks
Hell is other people....

My second foray into Constantine, and the first one that didn't make me scratch my head for continuity issues.

As I prepare for the October 24th tv start of that bastard in a trench coat (he's also staring in Injustice Year Three, for those reading it), I decided to check out what has been touted as a match made in heaven - Ian Rankin and John Constantine.

And it holds up well.....actually excellently.

(Spoilers follow...)

(view spoiler)
Federiken Masters
Pensaba leerme TODO Hellblazer antes de que terminara la serie. No logré ni el 5% de mi objetivo, pero en el camino me encontré con esta historia autoconclusiva bastante interesante. Premisa misteriosa muy bien llevada (le pegué a algunas revelaciones y me sorprendieron bastante otras) y dibujo funcional a la trama. Sin duda un comic bastante más interesante que esta infundada reseña.
Nick
I would have given the book a fourth star, but I just didn't care for the art. I really enjoyed the writing, though, and might try Rankin's other fiction, now that I know what he can do.
John Constantine gets contacted by the producer of a reality show. He's got a bunch of would-be celebrities locked into a "haunted" house, being filmed 24/7. The only problem is, thing are happening which are not part of the plans for the show. For a bunch of money, would Constantine investigate?
Of course, being
A Reader's Heaven
Occult detective John Constantine is drawn into reality TV when the contestants of a "haunted house" program are being attacked by the house itself. Constantine is hired to discover what is happening before the show - and himself - are cancelled for good.

Not a bad effort. I really enjoyed the Constantine character (and will definitely look for more) and the storyline was clever.

However, the black and white illustrations were a bit of a letdown after reading a few Marvel books previously.

Paul
ARH
Tibbi
Synopsis: In the book Dark Entries Constantine gets persuaded to go onto a game show that has been having some strange things happening and it's his job to figure out these strange miss-happenings. But as this constant study of things makes the ratings skyrocket Constantine will discover something that no one wanted to know.

Classification:

Genre of Style- Idealism
Genre of Plot- Action

Criticism: The book Dark E
Ryne Barber
Think of Dark Entries as a cross between House on Haunted Hill and film noir. If that sounds like your kind of comic series, then this graphic novel is absolutely for you.

John Constantine, cool, gruff, and collected paranormal investigator, has been commissioned to join a reality TV show where contestants are kept in a house and subjected to their fears. The house, however, has been conjuring up its own nightmares for the housemates, and it seems to be bugging the director, Keene. So John joins
Marc Weidenbaum
[Yeah, spoilers. Boilerplate, polite version: I promise I don't "spoil" anything about this book that would have bothered me had I known about it in advance of reading this book. That said, I cannot think of anything I have read in my life that would have been spoiled had I known the plot-advancing facts. And this is not, I promise, a mini–Cliffs Notes–style detailed summary of the story. Perhaps the only real way to "spoil" a book is to detail any serious flaws in logic, to the extent that you ...more
Darian
Never read Rankin or Constantine before (though I did see the movie), so I went into this unburdened with any expectations whatsoever.

It starts off a bit slow, but the pace picks up halfway through and then proceeds to rush past the finish line in a blur. Finished it in 2 sittings, but I thought it warranted a second reading. Not because it was fun, but just to get a better perspective on things. (The second reading did help, a bit, but I gave up the attempt about one third through; might retur
Robert Beveridge
Ian Rankin, Dark Entries (Vertigo, 2009)

Okay, first off, the very concept of this book should make you wet your pants. Five words that you never thought you would hear together: “Ian Rankin does John Constantine.” That's a pretty good equivalent of “Sex in a Jar”, right there. I grant you, some writers do John Constantine a whole lot better than other writers (and trying to rank them is liable to earn you enemies in the world of the geek. But come on, guys, Brian Azzarello rocked so hard on Good
John Hood
Hard Print

Scenes of Graphic Violence
Vertigo Crime Smashes Onto the Racks

By John Hood

First off, I dig it when things come in a series, especially violent things. Because that tends to place some semblance of order on a very disordered portion of our wild world. For instance, I dug it when the Black Lizard collection of Noir novel reprints became the hard-boiled Vintage Crime. And I continue to dig the monthly pocket-sized offerings of fast fiction alluring
Marcus Gipps

It strikes me that I’ve never really read much Ian Rankin. I think I read one years ago that was named after a Cure song - Hanging Garden, maybe? – but beyond that, nothing. I do read the Hellblazer comic, though (I even like the film, don’t tell anybody) and it seemed like such a good idea for DC to get a seriously big-name author involved. I’m sure they could have sold bucketloads of this book to the general punter, although it seemed to me that distribution issues may have reduced the impact
Dan
John Constantine: Hellblazer is one of my all-time favorite characters. Before I discovered Hellblazer and The Sandman I was seriously considering quitting reading comics altogether... the superhero bit had just worn on me, and I was rapidly getting sick of all of the crossovers and continuity reboots. I got into Hellblazer just before Garth Ennis started his historic run on the series, and when he came on board (with Steve Dillon as artist... later they did The Preacher, which is hands-down one ...more
Ryan
John Constantine's never been my favourite character. I like him enough in small doses (like in his roles in Moore's Swamp Thing and brief appearances in Gaiman's Sandman and Books of Magic series), but I've never found him interesting enough to be a protagonist.

I do have a fondness for haunted house stories, though, especially when elements of reality TV are thrown in the mix (van Belkom's Scream Queen, the Halloween: Resurrection film), and this one seemed to have some shades of Whedon's Dollh
Timothy
As a fan of both Rankin and Constantine, I went into this book with a bit of trepidation: Was this simply an attempt to toss a marquee name on a comic book property, or something more?

In the end, I'd go with something more. I'm not sure if Rankin is a longtime Hellblazer fan or simply read through a bunch of the back catalog, but he managed to tell a "real" John Constantine story, one that not only fits with the character's backstory (and draws upon it), but one that has an authentic grip on th
Larissa
Another entry in my graphic novel education, this book was lent to me by a friend ages ago and I've just now read it. (Bad form!) Dark Entries is part of a series of graphic crime novels that are published by Vertigo, which in itself is a really good idea. I found this one particularly intriguing because it was written by Ian Rankin, whose Inspector Rebus novels have been on my to-read list for quite some time.

However, although the storyline is inventive (paranormal detective John Constantine i
Ashwin
Ian Rankin sticks John Constantine in a big brother type reality t.v. show that appears to be haunted, sits back and lets John figure how to get out of another fine paranormal mess.

The supporting characters don't seem too interesting and John doesn't do a lot of John Constantine things (for one he isn't a right bastard at all and two, the story doesn't call on his wits too often).

The plot however is wonderful and does most of the heavy lifting in the book.
Jaime
I can’t remember the last time I read a graphic novel, but I’m pretty sure it’s been about 10 years. It definitely won’t be another 10, because I really enjoyed this and plan to find some more graphic novels to read soon. You may be familiar with the main character, John Constantine, from the comic Hellblazer or the movie based on it, Constantine. Constantine is a magician, though not the type you’re used to. And he tends to use his magic to keep those trying to get out of hell in their place. I ...more
Sean Kottke
This is a pretty cool comic, although how comfortably it fits under the banner of "Vertigo Crime" is debatable. I've never read any Rankin, and I'm not up on the Constantine comic mythology, so I don't know how well it fits within their respective oeuvres. However, as a "Twilight Zone"-ish take on reality TV, it's pretty entertaining. Although not really a crime story ...
Michael Anderson
Good Hellblazer graphic novel, in an unorthodox, B&W, non-comic book format. No spoilers, but Constantine is written true-to-form as the lovable, arrogant git he is in his own series, and the story moves along almost, but not quite, predictably, just as you'd want in this kind of story. The artwork is serviceable, but only that. All in all, a very good read.
  • Hellblazer: City of Demons
  • Fogtown
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • House of Mystery, Vol. 2: Love Stories for Dead People
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a
More about Ian Rankin...

Hellblazer Original TPB (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins
  • Hellblazer: Bloodlines
  • Hellblazer: Fear and Loathing
  • Hellblazer: Tainted Love
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) Exit Music (Inspector Rebus, #17) Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8) Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2) Let it Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)