Start by marking “Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1)” as Want to Read:
Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro, #1)

Enter Second Murderer (Inspector Faro #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The events that cause Detective Inspector Faro to re-open the sensational case of The Gruesome Convent Murders (for which one murderer has already been executed) led him into a bewildering labyrinth of passions, betrayal, and greed concealed behind the lace curtains and respectable exteriors of Edinburgh society. The bizarre list of prime suspects includes a fanatical nun, ...more
Published November 1st 1989 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Enter Second Murderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter Second Murderer

Knots and Crosses by Ian RankinHide and Seek by Ian RankinCold Granite by Stuart MacBrideBlack and Blue by Ian RankinStrip Jack by Ian Rankin
Tartan Noir
159th out of 244 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

Andrea
Jul 03, 2015 Andrea marked it as flipped-to-the-end  ·  review of another edition
Set in in the late 1800s in Edinburgh, this seems a well-written enough story, with a moderately likeable detective. But...but.

The deceiving wife murdered by her husband (and considered almost excusably so by the detective). The scheming girl murdered by the unknown. The saintly dead wife (raped at fifteen).

Flipping to the end shows me we do eventually end up with a living female character (who isn't a bit-part servant) - and this, naturally is the love interest. (view spoiler)
Cece
Jun 21, 2008 Cece added it
Shelves: mysteries
I had high hopes for this series-but alas, the style is much too flowery and earnest, as is the main character, Inspector Faro. The book is full of sentences such as:

"A daunting prospect, for he would not be welcome, but he was certain that she had the strength, needed in her calling, not to shrink from what she considered her duty, no matter how distressing the task-and even if it meant visiting the mortuary and identifying the corpse as that of Miss Burnleigh."

I'll put up with sentences that
Katie
Aug 05, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This could of been better, but the "love" story was just so grating and forced. I find it hard to enjoy a novel when I don't like any of the characters, but the weak mystery didn't help matters. This was free through Kindle Unlimited, so I might try the next just to see if it improves, but my hopes aren't high.
Teddi
Version was an epub that was strangely layed out and had several spelling errors.
Has a good flow once I got past the first chapter (made me wonder if pages were missing as it didn't really "begin" but more like jumping in the middle). Also ended abruptly but in the manner I expected it to. Overall, was a bit of a dull read. Will see how the next one goes.
Ralph Deatherage
Riveting

Despite the stilted prose of the era, this is a superb story told by a master storyteller. A good book.
Kathy
Nov 16, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Rather uneven and the solution to the mystery dawned on me considerably before Faro caught on. There were things I liked about the setting and backstory and for those reasons I will probably read more of this series, but I can't say I was particularly impressed by the protagonist.
Zezette
Jan 22, 2016 Zezette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
British Murder Mystery at its best. I have really enjoyed it. Nice twist in the plot at the end.
Kim
Aug 16, 2014 Kim rated it liked it
You can read my review here: http://www.whatireallythink.net/enter...
Bethack
Enjoyable book. Didn't guess the ending. Good set up for the series.
Toni Roush
Dec 19, 2014 Toni Roush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice

A decent story, set in times past. I would be glad to read mote by this author and see where her characters go.
Tamara
Enjoyed this Victorian mystery. Set in Edinburgh. Main character is a widower, a detective, a stepfather, and father of two daughters. Returning after an illness, he determines that a case deemed solved was closed because it suited the police to have it off their books. His investigation leads him to a troop of actors, a Quaker mission, a convent, and assorted characters.
Julie
Sep 30, 2013 Julie rated it it was ok
So-so. I enjoyed the main character, Faro, and his adventures--especially trying to figure out a murder that has been blamed on someone else.

Fairly good writing, but I've read lots of classic mysteries and this one doesn't quite measure up--the author uses some terminology they wouldn't have used then.
Anne
Jan 15, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing
Fantastic as an easy read that has intrigue, but is not too taxing or heavy going. Alanna write well and the characters are likeable. I like the fact that this is in a series of books as the mail character can develope over the series.
Jean
This is the first "Inspector Faro" book by Alannah Knight, dating from 1989. The setting is Victorian, the location Edinburgh. This one is quite intriguing, so it will be interesting to see how they developed.
Deborah
I enjoyed the first in the Inspector Faro series--a bit over 3 star, but probably less than 4. Enjoyable Victorian detective story set in Edinburgh, Scotland. Will continue the series
Scott
Jul 14, 2012 Scott rated it liked it
Just okay. I will read the next in the series just to see if they get better.
Kt.
Jul 08, 2013 Kt. rated it liked it
Typos in Kindle version were very distracting but otherwise a good read
Trish
Aug 20, 2014 Trish rated it liked it
Another interesting historical series
Patricia M McCarthy
Patricia M McCarthy marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Chris Payne
Chris Payne marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
TinaLovesReading
TinaLovesReading marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
mary cope
mary cope rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
James R Bauer
James R Bauer rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Nicoletta
Nicoletta marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
SuzPepper 2.0
SuzPepper 2.0 marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ruth Ward
Ruth Ward rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jan 25, 2016
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Thorne Maze (Elizabeth I, #5)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Haussmann, or the Distinction
  • Chorus of the Dead (A Marshall House Mystery, #1)
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Murder on Nob Hill (Sarah Woolson Mystery, #1)
  • The Conjurer
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)
  • Circle Of Shadows (Crowther and Westerman, #4)
  • Regulated for Murder (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 1)
  • Murder at the Lanterne Rouge (Aimee Leduc Investigations, #12)
  • The Dead Shall Not Rest (Dr. Thomas Silkstone #2)
  • Hangman Blind (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #1)
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #1)
  • The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)
  • A Marked Man (An Abigail Adams Mystery, #2)
  • Petty Treason (Sarah Tolerance, #2)
aka Margaret Hope

Alanna Knight MBE has published more than sixty novels (including sixteen in the acclaimed Inspector Faro series, and seven featuring his daughter Rose McQuinn), as well as non-fiction, true crime and several books on Robert Louis Stevenson, numerous short stories and two plays since her award-winning first book ‘Legend of the Loch’ in 1969. A founding member and Honorary Presiden
More about Alanna Knight...

Inspector Faro (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blood Line (Inspector Faro, #2)
  • Deadly Beloved (Inspector Faro, #3)
  • Killing Cousins (Inspector Faro, #4)
  • A Quiet Death (Inspector Faro, #5)
  • To Kill a Queen (Inspector Faro, #6)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Inspector Faro, #11)
  • The Missing Duchess (Inspector Faro, #8)
  • The Bull Slayers (Inspector Faro, #9)
  • Murder by Appointment (Inspector Faro, #10)
  • The Coffin Lane Murders. Inspector Faro Mystery No.8

“If there was a lesson to be taken from history, it was that men lived but never learned from” 0 likes