Start by marking “Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)

Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders #2)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  1,243 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
The Ghost Finders answer a distress call from the private research center of one of the biggest drug companies in the world, where a team of police enforcement agents have vanished. They have no idea what they're facing-except a deadline that threatens to remove the entire building from existence if they fail to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Published August 1st 2011 by Ace Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Smile

Ahmad Sharabiani
Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders, #2)و Simon R. Green
عنوان: شکارچیان شبح - کتاب 2 - شبح لبخند؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: علی مصلح حیدرزاده؛ تهران، ویدا، 1394؛ در 274 ص؛ شابک: 9786002911568؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 21 م
تاب دوم از مجموعه داستانی هیجانانگیز است که با زبانی ساده و روان برای نوجوانان نگاشته شده است. در این داستان «جی سی چنس»، «هپی جک پالمر» و «ملودی چمبرز» اعضای یک تیم عملیاتی مؤسسه «کارناکی» برای انجام مأموریتی به ساختمان یک شرکت داروسازی میروند. موسسه «کارناکی»
Eddie Hodges
The second book in Simon Green's Ghostfinder series and while better than the first book in the series it's still a bit light. It's not bad, in fact, it was actually fun in places, but it's still trying to get its legs compared to Green's other series. The biggest problem is that the book seems to be written by a formula. At the beginning of a chapter the heroes are in danger, but save themselves with some quick thinking. Start the next chapter and the same thing happens until you get to the end ...more
David Caldwell
Have you seen those shows about ghosthunters?This is what they wished they were.

The fastest rising A-team of the Carnacki Institute are back. Again, they are facing off against forces that are well beyond them with no briefing and almost no tools or weapons.JC is still dealing with the changes he underwent in the first novel.Melody has to try to cope without all of her beloved tech.Happy Jack Palmer is trying to deal without his chemical support.Finally Kim,JC's ghost girlfriend,is along for the
Thomas Baltes
As far as Green's British horror fantasy world goes, the Ghost Hunters series has the most to offer the casual reader, lacking the depth of the Nightside series or the intricate plotting of the Secret Histories. The second entry into the series is no exception consisting of only two acts and a limited if central conflict, and characters that do not strain the author's writing abilities in the slightest. Sadly, I must say that this book acts as filler between the next Nightside novel and Secret H ...more
Stuart Nager
Aug 03, 2012 Stuart Nager rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of Simon R. Green's work, and I have to finally say this: I'm done.

He revels in death and destruction, depravity and dementia...and there are just so many ways he can write about eviscerations, people being turned inside out, tortured, maimed, etc etc etc..and it just becomes one big repetitive narration. He's also gone to the "oh, it's so grotesque no human mind can hold onto the thought" wayyyyyyyyy too many times.

This series is just a rehash of all the same old, same old, wi
Pearl
Nov 17, 2013 Pearl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, urban-fantasy
This actually managed to break out of some of the standard Simon R. Green writing and be genuinly scary at times. Often Green's own writing gets in the way of pushing the horror of a setting, but this time it worked very well. Overall I liked it a bit more than Ghost of a Chance and am looking forward to the next book. The long term plot arc is starting to unfold and it seems interesting. Although once again Green has decided to tie his worlds together. For good or ill, I haven't decided.
Alexander Draganov
Another great book by Mr. Green. JC and his team of Ghost Finders enter a building of an unethical medical firm, which has become a house of horrors. Green's unique sense of humour is keeping the story from becoming too horrific to enjoy and the plot twists in the end are unbelievable. Can't wait for book 3!
Bryn
Jul 27, 2015 Bryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Simon Green's writing style. This reminds me of the Nightside novels and close to but just not quite as good. The characters are flawed and fun. The plot was interesting overall, even with my not having read the first book, but it did get just a bit repetitive when they started going up inside the building.
Loretta
A true psychological paranormal mystery horror thriller! I swear there was an entire book in just he first chapter! I love how these guys power through their neuroses despite everything.
Ryan G
May 22, 2016 Ryan G rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the reason I love Simon R. Green's book so much, are the names he gives to his creations. Whether they are the good guys, or bad, they all just have cool names. It can be a name that is very specific to the type of person they are; personality, abilities, that sort of thing. They can be bad-ass names, that come straight from a dark and twisted comic book. Or they can be a simple definition of what the character is, as in the case of the main, terrifying villain in Ghost of a Smile, The F ...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
(This review was originally written for Nocturne Romance Reads)

An imaginative and interesting story, "Ghost of a Smile" marks the second installment of the Ghostfinders series. Filled with a balancing blend of paranormal and reality, this book will keep readers on the edge of their seats as the mystery and drama progresses from the first chapter!

Ghost of a Smile has all the elements most Urban Fantasy buffs will enjoy in their reads: paranormal activity, mystery, action, and, of course, the dem
Leila Anani
This second Ghost Finders novel takes our team of ghost finders to a private research centre where illegal experiments went very wrong.

I absolutely adore the characters in this series. The set-up's very much like Torchwood where we have the charismatic team leader with some unusual god powers, tech girl and then the dour gloomy one, here the manic depressive pill-popping telepath Happy. The team are what make this. Their interaction is great.

The plot... Hmmmm. It's incredibly episodic and formul
Michelle
Ghost of a Smile is the second book in the Ghost Finders series by Simon R. Green and an Urban Fantasy from ACE.

Book Blurb:

A distress call was received from the private research centre of one of the biggest drug companies in the world. The police went in - and never came out. A national security team stormed the place. No-ones’s heard anything further from them, either.

Now it’s in the hands of the Carnacki Institute’s rising stars. They have the wrong equipment. They have no idea what awaits. An
Chris Bauer
Mar 14, 2013 Chris Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I've read just about everything published by Simon R. Green and have largely enjoyed all of them.

"Ghost of a Smile" is the second installment in his Ghost Hunters series. Populated with distinct and interesting characters, well-defined and consistent "world rules" and ridiculously fun action scenes this latest book in the series is no exception to his unique writing style.

The pace is, at times, slower than his other works, possibly as a means to slow the action down in order to introduc
William
Jul 22, 2012 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thing that comes to mind when you see the word 'ghostfinders': Plain old boring ghost-busting?

That does not seem to be the case here. Instead of being just another generic book about ghost hunters, this book brings in seriously stunning and witty concepts, most of which are seemingly typical of Green's books. For instance, other-dimensional entities trying to pry their way into our reality.

But the concept that impressed the most was the actual function of the junk DNA which is present in a
Shelly
I'm still not completely sold on this series. However, this book was leaps and bounds better than the previous one. Yes, the characters are still more than slightly recycled, but here at least there's some fleshing out. Melody and Happy are given more page time, and you get a better feeling for those characters. Kim is still making me want to punch babies. I won't get too much into the plot because it would spoil the whole thing, but it seems like this book is setting up for the rest of the seri ...more
Carien
Sep 25, 2011 Carien rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series was a nice read, but lacked feeling. As this sometimes can happen with first books in a series I decided to give book 2, Ghost of a Smile, a chance.

First thing that I ran across: It felt very formulaic.

It started with a first chapter in which our heroes through wit manage to stop a haunting, just like in book 1. In chapter two they are send on their 'real' investigation, just like in book 1. I will confess that alone almost made me put down the book, but I tried to
Lianne Burwell
I loved the plot, but hated the characters, which results in a mid-ground.

Like the first book, we start with a short case (the team investigates a death in a possibly haunted abandoned factory), then move on to the main story (a company's experiments goes really, really wrong, with much death and blood and terror).

By the end, we're getting hints of a larger storyline, as well as tie-in to some of the author's other series.

All in all, I really enjoyed the story. I just wish the author wasn't maki
Kirsten Lenius
The second in Green's Ghost Finder series, this book has the same evocative descriptiveness and the same wry humor that has drawn me so easily into his other work.

J. C., Melody, Happy Jack and Kim are a team of ghost finders. They are sent to deal with a murder at a long abandoned factory site, where they find they are dealing with something a bit more complicated than a ghost.

After finishing at the factory, they are sent immediately to a London office tower that is rather unusual. People, inclu
Heather Kelly
Mar 18, 2012 Heather Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My husband suggested I read this and he did warn me that I'd have to like science fiction. So...I guess I do not like science fiction. The book started off okay, but then all I did was roll my eyes. I can do the whole ghosts/spirits fighting evil things, that's cool enough. But when near death fight scenes start to happen and the author has a character bring out some magic monkey paw that saves the day or some other weird charm that is deemed to have powers from beyond, I just don't know how to ...more
Kori Klinzing
Aug 07, 2011 Kori Klinzing rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: specfic
I will admit, after much kicking and screaming, that this was much better than Ghost of a Chance. Although there was quite a lot of expository dialogue throughout the book (to the point where it started to hurt) and I still didn't like the characters much, once I finally got sucked into the plot, which at first was rather dull as they worked their way through the multiple floors, it was all downhill from there. I was fascinated with the idea of the New People, that humanity might just be heading ...more
Rachel
Dec 13, 2015 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up, 2015
It begins as though it is a crappy novelization of a bad action flick, with the characters posing dramatically at sunset and the "as you know, Bob, here's how the world works here!" Character descriptions were done from a very cynical and dismissive point of view - for example, the main female character is described as "pretty enough, in a conventional way". The tech that's supposed to be so important to the mission is described as "blinking colored lights in an important sort of way." The hero ...more
Amanda
Sep 14, 2011 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I haven't been a big fan of the Ghostfinders, and everyone knows that I generally love reading my Simon Green books. It felt like Simon Green was trying a bit too hard with this one. It feels forced. JC strikes me as this really odd combination of Eddie Drood and John Taylor (white suit as opposed to white trench coat!). Melody needs a slap of her own (instead of delivering them to poor Happy). Happy Jack Palmer is the most entertaining character with witty quips and lots of self-medicati ...more
Angela
Jan 28, 2012 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four 'ghost hunters' are back for this second book in the series. They are put into a situation where information is minimal and misleading, and danger lurks around every corner. Now, I do love this series, but at times in this book I felt as if I was playing a video game rather than reading a book. Their going up a level (stairs to next floor) and attempting to defeat the newest nemesis felt more like a video game than a novel that sucks me into it's story. I have a big issue with the New P ...more
Gary
Jan 07, 2012 Gary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This second novel was quite a bit better than the first. There were still problems with not only the writing style, but the lack of any sort of consistent rules involving his magic system or how Melody's instruments work. But the story itself was better (if unintentionally hilarious in some places).

This isn't a spoiler; it's something you'll figure out almost immediately after reading the first few pages.

JC Chance = Freddie
Happy Parker = Shaggy
Melody Chambers = Velma
Kim = Daphne

I fully expected
Ed Nemo
Jun 12, 2011 Ed Nemo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
While I thought the first book in this series was merely "good", this book it steps it up a notch. The 4 "man" team is a study in different points of view. A super-computer tech and martial artists, A pill popping class 11 telepath, a ghost girl with powers she is unaware of, all led by a white suited man with glowing eyes and an over-abundance of energy.

They are the good guys, and they will do what is necessary to save the world, even if it means pilfering the armoury and making the hard decis
WillowBe
Aug 11, 2012 WillowBe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The whole book was undercut by a particular British sentimentality that I find particularly tiresome. Sure the dialouge was rife with zingers and cute turns of phrase, but it felt like I was reading the script for a supernatural TV show waiting to be picked up by the BBC. In the meantime, it was slumming as a novel, hoping to rise to the top on popular desire to see it televised. Vintage Simon R Green, but at his most mediocre. Well excepting the DeathStar series, which is 10x more egregious on ...more
Shayan Kh

Slightly better than the first book of the series, Ghost of a Smile still has mostly unlikable characters and repetitive descriptions.
I love Green's work because of the hard to grasp concepts he uses in his books. But lately, he is only using descriptions like " sooo weird the human mind couldn't cope with it". It is like seeing him running out of ways to describe strange concepts.
I'm only reading this series because I love the universe he created. If you like his works, and you have
Joseph
Apr 17, 2012 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second installment of Simon R. Green's latest series. Entertaining, but not my favorite of what he's currently done. The tone is very similar to the Nightside and Eddie Drood books (and there are minor crossovers/references with the other series) but the narration this time is third-person rather than first-person, and I just don't think the kind of snarky wisecracking tone works as well in third-person in this case.
aaron
May 09, 2012 aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
no secret...i love simon r. green! he is one of my favorites! this is the second in the ghostfinder's series and it is really ramping up to becoming another great series! i love it! this one finds the ghostfinders going up against a building where multiple people have gone in and not come out! they have to go in and find out what is going on or die trying! more secrets are revealed and more questions arise in this second book in another wonderful simon r. green series!
  • Basilisk (The Korsak Brothers #2)
  • Zombie Bake-Off
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 3 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #3)
  • Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #3)
  • Undone Deeds (Connor Grey, #6)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (Japanese Devil Fish Girl #3)
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • Stonecast (The Spellmason Chronicles, #2)
  • Left Hand Magic (Golgotham, #2)
  • Eyes in Atlantis
  • Chasing Vegas
  • Tales of the Red Moon Clan
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 7
  • The Sword of Maiden's Tears (Twelve Treasures, #1)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Ghost Finders (6 books)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
  • Spirits from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Voices from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #5)
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)