Start by marking “Ghost of a Smile” as Want to Read:
Ghost of a Smile

Ghost of a Smile (Ghost Finders #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  868 ratings  ·  72 reviews
The Ghost Finders answer a distress call from the private research center of one of the biggest drug companies in the world, where a team of police enforcement agents have vanished. They have no idea what they're facing-except a deadline that threatens to remove the entire building from existence if they fail to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Published August 1st 2011 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost of a Smile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost of a Smile

Eddie Hodges
The second book in Simon Green's Ghostfinder series and while better than the first book in the series it's still a bit light. It's not bad, in fact, it was actually fun in places, but it's still trying to get its legs compared to Green's other series. The biggest problem is that the book seems to be written by a formula. At the beginning of a chapter the heroes are in danger, but save themselves with some quick thinking. Start the next chapter and the same thing happens until you get to the end ...more
David Caldwell
Have you seen those shows about ghosthunters?This is what they wished they were.

The fastest rising A-team of the Carnacki Institute are back. Again, they are facing off against forces that are well beyond them with no briefing and almost no tools or weapons.JC is still dealing with the changes he underwent in the first novel.Melody has to try to cope without all of her beloved tech.Happy Jack Palmer is trying to deal without his chemical support.Finally Kim,JC's ghost girlfriend,is along for the
Thomas Baltes
As far as Green's British horror fantasy world goes, the Ghost Hunters series has the most to offer the casual reader, lacking the depth of the Nightside series or the intricate plotting of the Secret Histories. The second entry into the series is no exception consisting of only two acts and a limited if central conflict, and characters that do not strain the author's writing abilities in the slightest. Sadly, I must say that this book acts as filler between the next Nightside novel and Secret H ...more
Loretta
A true psychological paranormal mystery horror thriller! I swear there was an entire book in just he first chapter! I love how these guys power through their neuroses despite everything.
Pearl
This actually managed to break out of some of the standard Simon R. Green writing and be genuinly scary at times. Often Green's own writing gets in the way of pushing the horror of a setting, but this time it worked very well. Overall I liked it a bit more than Ghost of a Chance and am looking forward to the next book. The long term plot arc is starting to unfold and it seems interesting. Although once again Green has decided to tie his worlds together. For good or ill, I haven't decided.
Kirsten Lenius
The second in Green's Ghost Finder series, this book has the same evocative descriptiveness and the same wry humor that has drawn me so easily into his other work.

J. C., Melody, Happy Jack and Kim are a team of ghost finders. They are sent to deal with a murder at a long abandoned factory site, where they find they are dealing with something a bit more complicated than a ghost.

After finishing at the factory, they are sent immediately to a London office tower that is rather unusual. People, inclu
Alexander Draganov
Another great book by Mr. Green. JC and his team of Ghost Finders enter a building of an unethical medical firm, which has become a house of horrors. Green's unique sense of humour is keeping the story from becoming too horrific to enjoy and the plot twists in the end are unbelievable. Can't wait for book 3!
Michelle
Ghost of a Smile is the second book in the Ghost Finders series by Simon R. Green and an Urban Fantasy from ACE.

Book Blurb:

A distress call was received from the private research centre of one of the biggest drug companies in the world. The police went in - and never came out. A national security team stormed the place. No-ones’s heard anything further from them, either.

Now it’s in the hands of the Carnacki Institute’s rising stars. They have the wrong equipment. They have no idea what awaits. An
Shelly
I'm still not completely sold on this series. However, this book was leaps and bounds better than the previous one. Yes, the characters are still more than slightly recycled, but here at least there's some fleshing out. Melody and Happy are given more page time, and you get a better feeling for those characters. Kim is still making me want to punch babies. I won't get too much into the plot because it would spoil the whole thing, but it seems like this book is setting up for the rest of the seri ...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
(This review was originally written for Nocturne Romance Reads)

An imaginative and interesting story, "Ghost of a Smile" marks the second installment of the Ghostfinders series. Filled with a balancing blend of paranormal and reality, this book will keep readers on the edge of their seats as the mystery and drama progresses from the first chapter!

Ghost of a Smile has all the elements most Urban Fantasy buffs will enjoy in their reads: paranormal activity, mystery, action, and, of course, the dem
Carien
The first book in this series was a nice read, but lacked feeling. As this sometimes can happen with first books in a series I decided to give book 2, Ghost of a Smile, a chance.

First thing that I ran across: It felt very formulaic.

It started with a first chapter in which our heroes through wit manage to stop a haunting, just like in book 1. In chapter two they are send on their 'real' investigation, just like in book 1. I will confess that alone almost made me put down the book, but I tried to
Chris Bauer
I think I've read just about everything published by Simon R. Green and have largely enjoyed all of them.

"Ghost of a Smile" is the second installment in his Ghost Hunters series. Populated with distinct and interesting characters, well-defined and consistent "world rules" and ridiculously fun action scenes this latest book in the series is no exception to his unique writing style.

The pace is, at times, slower than his other works, possibly as a means to slow the action down in order to introduc
William
First thing that comes to mind when you see the word 'ghostfinders': Plain old boring ghost-busting?

That does not seem to be the case here. Instead of being just another generic book about ghost hunters, this book brings in seriously stunning and witty concepts, most of which are seemingly typical of Green's books. For instance, other-dimensional entities trying to pry their way into our reality.

But the concept that impressed the most was the actual function of the junk DNA which is present in a
Heather Kelly
My husband suggested I read this and he did warn me that I'd have to like science fiction. So...I guess I do not like science fiction. The book started off okay, but then all I did was roll my eyes. I can do the whole ghosts/spirits fighting evil things, that's cool enough. But when near death fight scenes start to happen and the author has a character bring out some magic monkey paw that saves the day or some other weird charm that is deemed to have powers from beyond, I just don't know how to ...more
Lucy
Instead of being given leave after their last successful mission, the team are sent to a site in London with a major outbreak. They find there’s a lot there to question.
Interesting characters and interaction. Confusing setup. Might benefit from re-reading. Still, it's a fast read and there's lots of prep for future books.
Kori Klinzing
I will admit, after much kicking and screaming, that this was much better than Ghost of a Chance. Although there was quite a lot of expository dialogue throughout the book (to the point where it started to hurt) and I still didn't like the characters much, once I finally got sucked into the plot, which at first was rather dull as they worked their way through the multiple floors, it was all downhill from there. I was fascinated with the idea of the New People, that humanity might just be heading ...more
Gary Black
I really try to like this series. I love Simon Green's other series and although this book was better than the first in the Ghost Finders series it still leaves something to desire. There are a few scary moments in the book but the constant bickering between the main characters makes it annoying rather than funny or sarcastic. I rated it two stars since I am a big fan of the author. I am hoping this series get better the next time around.
Gedvondur
More Ghost Finders...this is the weakest of Green's "supernatural London" world, including the Drood Secret Histories and the Nightside chronicles.

Fast easy read, good distraction and time-waster.
Stacey
Another enjoyable read. There were times were I was a little confused about what was happening and the book does seem to go on a little longer than necessary but it was still an enjoyable read.
Angela
The four 'ghost hunters' are back for this second book in the series. They are put into a situation where information is minimal and misleading, and danger lurks around every corner. Now, I do love this series, but at times in this book I felt as if I was playing a video game rather than reading a book. Their going up a level (stairs to next floor) and attempting to defeat the newest nemesis felt more like a video game than a novel that sucks me into it's story. I have a big issue with the New P ...more
Dan
Pretty good story. I liked the imagination of what happened in this building, and the way the team was able to defeat all the various challenges that were thrown at them.
Stuart Nager
I've read a lot of Simon R. Green's work, and I have to finally say this: I'm done.

He revels in death and destruction, depravity and dementia...and there are just so many ways he can write about eviscerations, people being turned inside out, tortured, maimed, etc etc etc..and it just becomes one big repetitive narration. He's also gone to the "oh, it's so grotesque no human mind can hold onto the thought" wayyyyyyyyy too many times.

This series is just a rehash of all the same old, same old, wi
Jennifer S
Not sure if I like the larger conspiracy theory idea. Larger beings and ghosts yes, but conspiracy not sure of story line. ... I will keep reading
Amanda
So far I haven't been a big fan of the Ghostfinders, and everyone knows that I generally love reading my Simon Green books. It felt like Simon Green was trying a bit too hard with this one. It feels forced. JC strikes me as this really odd combination of Eddie Drood and John Taylor (white suit as opposed to white trench coat!). Melody needs a slap of her own (instead of delivering them to poor Happy). Happy Jack Palmer is the most entertaining character with witty quips and lots of self-medicati ...more
Ed Nemo
While I thought the first book in this series was merely "good", this book it steps it up a notch. The 4 "man" team is a study in different points of view. A super-computer tech and martial artists, A pill popping class 11 telepath, a ghost girl with powers she is unaware of, all led by a white suited man with glowing eyes and an over-abundance of energy.

They are the good guys, and they will do what is necessary to save the world, even if it means pilfering the armoury and making the hard decis
Mezzogal Goh
Funny banter and puns but the story is too much like Torchwood, only not as good.
Gary
This second novel was quite a bit better than the first. There were still problems with not only the writing style, but the lack of any sort of consistent rules involving his magic system or how Melody's instruments work. But the story itself was better (if unintentionally hilarious in some places).

This isn't a spoiler; it's something you'll figure out almost immediately after reading the first few pages.

JC Chance = Freddie
Happy Parker = Shaggy
Melody Chambers = Velma
Kim = Daphne

I fully expected
Ramesh Retnam
Compared to the Nightside and the droods,this seriously pales in comparison in terms of characters and storylin.
WillowBe
The whole book was undercut by a particular British sentimentality that I find particularly tiresome. Sure the dialouge was rife with zingers and cute turns of phrase, but it felt like I was reading the script for a supernatural TV show waiting to be picked up by the BBC. In the meantime, it was slumming as a novel, hoping to rise to the top on popular desire to see it televised. Vintage Simon R Green, but at his most mediocre. Well excepting the DeathStar series, which is 10x more egregious on ...more
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, Volume 3 (Pet Shop of Horrors: Tokyo, #3)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Blood and Magick (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #3)
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Merkabah Rider: Tales of a High Planes Drifter (Merkabah Rider, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Chasing the Moon
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 9 (Zenescope)
  • Angel's Advocate (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #2)
  • Tales of the Red Moon Clan
  • Face Off (Laura Blackstone, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Ghost Finders (6 books)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)
  • Ghost of a Dream (Ghost Finders, #3)
  • Spirits From Beyond (Ghost Finders, #4)
  • Voices from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #5)
  • Forces from Beyond (Ghost Finders, #6)
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)