Poems on the Underground

Poems on the Underground

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An even bigger edition of the best selling poetry anthology, this time as a hardback, original format, in two colours throughout Originally published as 100 Poems on the Underground, this new tenth edition contains over 300 exceptional poems Total sales now exceed 275,000 - on a national basis, not purely London based Timeless, unpretentious and idiosyncratic collection of...more
10th Anniversary Edition, 256 pages
Published (first published May 28th 1991)

S.
I picked this up at a library clearance sale. I admire public projects like this that slip literature into everyday life, and one of the charms of this collection is the poems have to be reasonably brief to fit onto the placards on the London Tube. Still, some of the poems are really tired. For example, if I EVER have to read the WC Williams poem about those plums again I might scream. Blake’s “Sick Rose” is also here, as is his “Tyger,” along with “Ozymandias,” Donne’s “Holy Sonnet,” and some o...more
TheBookAddictedGirl
I was given this to read, to get more in touch with poetry. I had loads of fun reading it: I just dipped in and out, reading poems. There was a huge variety, from Shakespeare to Ted Hughes to William Blake to Maya Angelou. My favourite though had to be W. H. Auden's Song, which I remember from Four Weddings and a Funeral. In case you don't know it, this is the poem:

"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog for, barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
B...more
Camille
Poems on the Underground is a collection of the poems featured on billboards with trains on London's Underground [subway] system. It began about 10 years ago when a group of writers decided to pool money to buy advertising space on a train to help increase the accessibility of poetry for the "common (wo)man" so to speak. Over those ten years it has become a major project, with poems rotating frequently, and it is jointly funded by the Mayor of London.

This 10th anniversary anthology pools some of...more
Jane Hornsby
I love it.when I travel.by tubes and get.the chance to.read.the poems written... I am a big.fan of.poetry.and.the poems make.me.journey.easier.so when I saw.this book I was delighted...great.idea.. good.tube and train journey.read and gives you a chance.to aee how.much talent there is in the world.
Izzy
I absolutely love this. I bought it because I often read the poems on the tube, and they definitely brighten days. As an anthology, it's wonderful to have such a variety of beautifully written, thought provoking and often uplifting poems in one place. Recommend it to anyone.
This is such a lovely project and I enjoyed the book (which has a fine cover and small selection of illustrations too) Some old friends and some new. and some did nothing for me. I particularly enjoyed the very brief notes at the back.
Julie Wolfe
When I lived in London I fell in love with this series of poetry that would be in the "tube" posted next to regular ads...then it was collected into volumes of poetry...still have my copy.
Tanis
This is a keeper, I'm not a huge lover of poetry but I remember this collection being on the underground and they did used to brighten up my journeys.
Alex

An amusingly diverse selection of poetry that was featured on the London Underground. A good volume to dip into, for its variety of poems.
Evelyn
A good mix of old and new poems, covering a variety of topics. One of those books where it's nice to dip in and out of.
phoenix
Loving the underground, I guess I expected too much of it.
Anwen Hayward
Anwen Hayward marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
anne
anne added it
Jun 28, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 02, 2014
Anya
Anya marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Willy.e.laureys
Willy.e.laureys marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Bluefish
Bluefish is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Briony
Briony is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
New Poems on the Underground 2006 Best Poems on the Underground London poems on the Underground Poems on the Underground 7th Edition Does W Trouble You?: A Book of Rhyming Poems (Puffin poetry)