Start by marking “Poems on the Underground” as Want to Read:
Poems on the Underground

Poems on the Underground

An even bigger edition of the best selling poetry anthology, this time as a hardback, original format, in two colours throughout Originally published as 100 Poems on the Underground, this new tenth edition contains over 300 exceptional poems Total sales now exceed 275,000 - on a national basis, not purely London based Timeless, unpretentious and idiosyncratic collection of ...more
10th Anniversary Edition, 256 pages
Published (first published May 28th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Poems on the Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems on the Underground

S.
I picked this up at a library clearance sale. I admire public projects like this that slip literature into everyday life, and one of the charms of this collection is the poems have to be reasonably brief to fit onto the placards on the London Tube. Still, some of the poems are really tired. For example, if I EVER have to read the WC Williams poem about those plums again I might scream. Blake’s “Sick Rose” is also here, as is his “Tyger,” along with “Ozymandias,” Donne’s “Holy Sonnet,” and some o ...more
Jim Leckband
Mar 17, 2015 Jim Leckband rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book over twenty years ago when I was living in London. During the time I was there I started and stopped my career in physics, lost my way in art and lost my girlfriend. Samuel Johnson said: "when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." Well, I was tired of life but not tired of London. Part of that had to be from riding the tube and seeing these poems sandwiched between ads. They really uplifted me and put me in another place for the small amount of time spent reading and ...more
Francisco Paniagua
And outstanding anthology of World poetry, with a most peculiar bend towards English verse, all of which hanged on the walls and wagons of the english subway system. Not for the weak of heart, since this book has kept the notes to the strictest minimum.

Remarkable work by some of the most remarkable poets all around the Globe.
Judith Rich
Feb 15, 2017 Judith Rich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems-plays
This is my favourite poetry anthology and I think every home should have a copy (which is why I keep foisting it on unwilling friends and family as a gift). Short poems you can dip in and out of, many eras, many cultures. I re-read the whole anthology cover to cover regularly.
TheBookAddictedGirl
I was given this to read, to get more in touch with poetry. I had loads of fun reading it: I just dipped in and out, reading poems. There was a huge variety, from Shakespeare to Ted Hughes to William Blake to Maya Angelou. My favourite though had to be W. H. Auden's Song, which I remember from Four Weddings and a Funeral. In case you don't know it, this is the poem:

"Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog for, barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
B
Dane Cobain
Oct 11, 2016 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’ve spent any time in London then you probably already know about the project that this book was born from. As you travel around on the tube, you see a number of different posters that contain poems on them, from old classics to contemporary pieces by unknown or up-and-coming poets.

This book, then, collects some of the best pieces that were featured over the years, and whilst the book itself is a little bit outdated, the kind of poetry that it features is the kind of stuff that never ages.
Camille
Jun 15, 2007 Camille rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poems on the Underground is a collection of the poems featured on billboards with trains on London's Underground [subway] system. It began about 10 years ago when a group of writers decided to pool money to buy advertising space on a train to help increase the accessibility of poetry for the "common (wo)man" so to speak. Over those ten years it has become a major project, with poems rotating frequently, and it is jointly funded by the Mayor of London.

This 10th anniversary anthology pools some of
Hubert
Sep 09, 2016 Hubert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was aware of poems appearing on London's tube but it's only recently that I discovered that a book was published. Compiling a lot of different poems in one book is an excellent idea as it brings contents for everyone. Some people will like poems from the XV or XVI Century while others will prefer recent ones. I have made some great discoveries which I will enjoy reading again and again.
Sep 14, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-2011
This is such a lovely project and I enjoyed the book (which has a fine cover and small selection of illustrations too) Some old friends and some new. and some did nothing for me. I particularly enjoyed the very brief notes at the back.
Rachel
Jul 15, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book of short (or abbreviated) poems that are easy to engage. My favs: Sonnet from the Portuguese (Elizabeth Barrett Browning), Come. And Be My Baby (Maya Angelou), and The Uncertainty of the Poet (Wendy Cope).
Jane Hornsby
Dec 21, 2012 Jane Hornsby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it.when I travel.by tubes and get.the chance to.read.the poems written... I am a big.fan of.poetry.and.the poems make.me.journey.easier.so when I saw.this book I was delighted...great.idea.. good.tube and train journey.read and gives you a chance.to aee how.much talent there is in the world.
Izzy
Jun 02, 2010 Izzy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this. I bought it because I often read the poems on the tube, and they definitely brighten days. As an anthology, it's wonderful to have such a variety of beautifully written, thought provoking and often uplifting poems in one place. Recommend it to anyone.
Julie Wolfe
Sep 28, 2009 Julie Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I lived in London I fell in love with this series of poetry that would be in the "tube" posted next to regular ads...then it was collected into volumes of poetry...still have my copy.
Tanis
Apr 05, 2012 Tanis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a keeper, I'm not a huge lover of poetry but I remember this collection being on the underground and they did used to brighten up my journeys.
phoenix
Loving the underground, I guess I expected too much of it.
Alex
Sep 03, 2007 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

An amusingly diverse selection of poetry that was featured on the London Underground. A good volume to dip into, for its variety of poems.
Evelyn
Jul 18, 2011 Evelyn rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011, poetry
A good mix of old and new poems, covering a variety of topics. One of those books where it's nice to dip in and out of.
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Karren Huzzey
Karren Huzzey rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Emma Lobb
Emma Lobb rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Martine Peacock
Martine Peacock rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Martin Budd
Martin Budd rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2014
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Chris Charlton
Chris Charlton rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
Aldi
Aldi rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Dimitra Dimopoulou
Dimitra Dimopoulou rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Holly V
Holly V rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
  • The Rattle Bag
  • Being Alive
  • From Oslo to Iraq and the Road Map: Essays
  • Collected Poems
  • What on Earth Happened?: The Complete Story of the Planet, Life, and People from the Big Bang to the Present Day
  • Penguin's Poems for Life
  • The Whitsun Weddings
  • Paddington Bear and the Christmas Surprise
  • Untold Stories
  • Kedrigern in Wanderland (Kedrigern, #3)
  • Are Men Obsolete?: The Munk Debate on Gender