Start by marking “Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money: The Handbook of Financial Peace University” as Want to Read:

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  2,131 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money covers the A to Z of Dave’s money teaching, including how to budget, save, dump debt, and invest. If you’re looking for practical information to answer all your “How?” “What?” and “Why?” questions about money, this book is for you. You’ll also learn all about insurance, mortgage options, marketing, bargain hunting and the most importan ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Ramsey Press (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Ramsey's Complete Guide to Money

Margo
Jan 12, 2016 Margo rated it it was amazing
5 stars... begrudgingly. Everything he said to do (so far) has worked. Paid off our debt, except the car in 2 and a half months. Learned how to easily feed my family on $100 a week. Sometimes less. Felt like we got a raise, even though we didn't. Blah, blah, blah. It is that stupid power of "no" thing. Yes, saying no to a lot has paid of our debt quickly. And continuing to say no will get our car paid off fast. Like the big fat "no" to our Grand Canyon road trip this summer. And all the big fat ...more
Lindsey Riley
Apr 16, 2014 Lindsey Riley rated it it was amazing
I hate money. Well, no, that's not true. I love to SPEND money; I just hate MANAGING money.

No one told me that being a responsible grown up would be so boring and difficult and unpleasant, and the most obnoxious and stressful adult task, I've found, is setting up and sticking to a budget.

Ugh. Budget. It's anything BUT a sexy topic. Nevertheless, it's an important subject to research, and implementing some sort of financial plan is vital in order to be dependable and successful.

One way I have ta
John Brown
Jun 13, 2012 John Brown rated it it was amazing
If you’re like 70% of America, you are living paycheck to paycheck, which means that if you or your spouse (assuming you have one) were laid off, you would probably have difficulties meeting your mortgage the next month. If you didn’t go into default on the house, you certainly would on other payments and bills.

You also have very little retirement.

You probably have around $7,000 in credit card debt. Maybe a lot more.

You also have a car payment or two. Or, heaven forbid, a lease.

You might be h
M.E. Kinkade
Jul 12, 2014 M.E. Kinkade rated it liked it
If you're unsure about how to manage money, or have already made some big mistakes and are trying to recover, or just want to brush up on some obscure things, this book will likely help you out.

HOWEVER...it has its flaws, despite the enthusiastic baying of many of Ramsey's constituents.

I received this book as a very well-intentioned gift to help my new husband and I get our marriage started on the right foot. I'm already persnickety about how I manage my money, so I may not be the ideal audien
Michelle
Sep 29, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish I had read this book two years ago. I would have been much smarter about my spending if that had been the case. But moving forward, I believe the things I have learned from the class and from this book will last me a lifetime. I can still change my future. One of the most impacting statements for me was this - You tell your money where you want it to go. Then it doesn't just disappear and you have little to nothing to show for your hard work. Create a budget and follow it.

Dave Ramsey's Co
Nicholas Maulucci
Sep 05, 2014 Nicholas Maulucci rated it really liked it
excellent. just financial common sense fleshed out into a book. excited about teaching our children these principles. excited about handling our money correctly. if we cannot take care of the least riches, how do we expect God to trust us with the true riches. revival awaits the stewardship of the least in order to usher in the true riches. recommended for all. a top 10 book out of the last 100 I've read. read it or remain a credit card paying, car payment paying sheep. two thumbs up!
Kaity
Jan 19, 2013 Kaity rated it really liked it
This book is the beginner's guide for Finance Dummies who are looking to get themselves the heck out of debt. Dave Ramsey's writing is so easy to read- even in subjects of insurance, mortgages and 401(k)'s. I read this book in conjunction with the course, Financial Peace University and am feeling ready to tackle my student loan debt! With Ramsey's arsenal of budget-friendly, money-saving tactics we should be able to be debt-free in just a couple years.
Nicole Starner
Nov 07, 2016 Nicole Starner rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book to any person of any age and any income level who wants to take control of their finances and their future. I've made some significant changes to my money after reading this book and feel as though I have gained a wealth of knowledge. Now I must follow through!
Stacy
I took Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class as I was reading this book. We've paid off some debt, and I've gotten hooked on his podcasts. I highly recommend his program.
James
May 26, 2012 James rated it really liked it
It has been over a month since we've started using Ramsey's baby steps, and I can tell you that no book (other than the Bible) has so greatly affected my behaviors and thoughts about money.

As Ramsey says several different ways himself: this information is not new, I (Ramsey) just packaged it well—it's the same God-given wisdom your grandparents gave to you... had you been paying attention!

I bookmarked several sections in this book that I will come back to when it is time. Since the wife and I ar
Nick Hepler
Feb 10, 2014 Nick Hepler rated it it was amazing
If you have read the Total Money Makeover and are looking for the nuts and bolts details of the Baby Steps this book is an excellent choice. This would also be an excellent selection for someone interested in taking the Financial Peace University class, but doesn't have the time or money to take it; or just doesn't like the idea of going to a church to a class. Much of the material in the book is almost verbatim what you will hear in the FPU classes. The dust jacket indicates this is the handboo ...more
Doug
Jan 22, 2014 Doug rated it liked it
Shelves: other
In summary, [Financial Peace University] and “Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money” will be particularly helpful for those who have a decent income but aren’t wise in how they spend-if they follow Ramsey’s instructions. I would particularly recommend it for these people. Others will find useful information and tips. For those who have a decent income but already handle their money fairly wisely, I would probably recommend simply reading the book; the full course may be overkill. Those who have ...more
Wanda
Feb 09, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
I think this book creates a great guide to getting out of debt. I am currently working the steps and doing quite well, I think. Also, Dave Ramsey infuses scripture throughout the book. As a Christian, i think this is important. You are being a good steward and following "guidelines" from the Bible. There is information about investments and retirement, home buying and selling, dealing with debt collectors, etc. A great handbook if you are looking for some general information about these and a fe ...more
Tamra
Mar 18, 2013 Tamra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people in FPU
Recommended to Tamra by: Dave Ramsey
This book is a major step up from Financial Peace Revisited. It spells things out without any unneccessary extras. To the point, helpful, and straightforward. All of Dave's books are easy-to-read and light, even though the subject matter is pretty dense and daunting. Dave is funny and enthusiastic and inspiring, and his books are delightful. You walk away thinking, "I can do this!"

If you're wanting to read one of Dave Ramsey's books, I recommend Total Money Makeover. I think it's the best over-a
Aida
Sep 29, 2014 Aida rated it it was amazing
It's an excellent book! I would give it 100 stars if I could. It completely changed the way my husband and I manage our finances. It's true what Dave Ramsey says, it's 20% head knowledge and 80% behavior. Loved the book!! Our lives will never be the same. Now we know how to budget and how to give each dollar an assignment. Not only that, but Dave Ramsey cautions us on what tricks and schemes we should be aware of to avoid at all costs. The importance of insurance and investing is also discussed. ...more
Grace
Apr 03, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing
I just finished going through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class (which I highly recommend!) This book is basically a written version of the CDs/DVDs that are part of the class. This book is a great companion piece, and good for reading after the class as a reminder of how to change your thoughts and habits about money. Even if you read it by itself, without the class, there's a lot of wisdom and insight and the book could be very helpful to anyone wanting to change their financial s ...more
Dave Dalbey
Sep 25, 2014 Dave Dalbey rated it really liked it
I recommend this to everybody not because it's a page turner, but because there's applicable information for anyone on how to handle money. Good book and very helpful information. I'm not very big on how to books, but Dave Ramsey's book and class helped change our view on debt and how to aggressively pay it down. Beyond how we handle our daily finances there is good instruction on personal insurance, wise investing, home buying, etc. most of this isn't rocket science it's just plain talk that ca ...more
Carolynn
Sep 25, 2012 Carolynn rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. It had a lot of great, practical information, and I can see myself reading it many times. The only reason for my 4 star rating is that I was also enrolled in FPU while reading the book (it came in the course materials) and it was pretty much word for word the same as the DVDs or audio CDs. It's a great place to start if you're new to Dave Ramsey, but I think they should consider putting a different book in the course materials.
Donovan
May 07, 2015 Donovan rated it really liked it
A great and simple book on how to manage money properly. (And yes it works, because it's generally a plan that follows common sense combined with his business/financial acumen). Ramsey writes well and with humor and understanding. This book follows the video series very closely. Highly recommended if you don't take the Financial Peace University course.
Jeff Elliott
Sep 03, 2015 Jeff Elliott rated it liked it
This book is really a condensed version of the 9 week presentation that Dave gives in Financial Peace University. Not being a big fan, I did not anticipate that I would take the class but after the first week I decided I would take all the classes. All couples should attend these courses before getting married. Dave's lessons and steps are simple, practical and helpful.
Matthew
Mar 19, 2014 Matthew rated it liked it
This book obviously has some good points and I believe that most people would benefit from reading this book and implementing the suggested steps.

I do believe that Dave is way off on his investing chapter.

Also, this book is nearly identical to his previous book I read, The Total Money Makeover. That is why I only gave it three stars.
Nikki
Aug 01, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finance
Loved it! Might not be the thing everyone would get a kick out of reading, but it was very helpful and I am now totally hooked on the Dave Ramsey radio talk show. I recommend this book to anyone who is tired of wondering where the money goes every month!
Mosade Edwards
Feb 15, 2015 Mosade Edwards rated it really liked it
As a recent graduate of financial peace university this book helped to ingrain the principles of class after I stepped outside my church. I love the baby steps and pride myself on the progress I've made this far. I sincerely invite people to take a page and take the class.
Trish
Jan 12, 2015 Trish rated it liked it
It an easy read and there are a lot of ideas that are not new, but it is motivating. As Dave points out, it is 20% knowledge of what to do and 80% good habits and actually doing it. I have been energized to pay off the last year of my car loan early.
Kerri
Aug 04, 2016 Kerri rated it it was amazing
I have always been a huge fan of Dave Ramsey, and listen to his show on the radio. I am reading this book in conjunction with his FPU course online and can't recommend it highly enough.
Devon Flaherty
May 13, 2015 Devon Flaherty rated it it was amazing
The Total Money Makeover (2003, Thomas Nelson) and Complete Guide to Money (2011, Lampo Press), both by Dave Ramsey, the Financial Peace money guru.

Let’s just do this up front: you either love the Dave Ramsey system or you hate it. You either jump in with both feet and hang on for dear life, or you go in half-hog and never make it. It’s an all or nothing proposition, because it is a financial system. Also, let’s be clear: Financial Peace is a Christian financial system. This does not mean you ha
Ethan Smith
Mar 15, 2017 Ethan Smith rated it liked it
Overall good advice for getting out of debt and running a financially stable household (if you have a steady income). Just be sure to read into the topics outside of what Dave has to say, especially investments. Some of his remarks can be crass and not tell the whole story about some aspects.

For example, he states confidently in the book that you have the same financial protections using a debit card as you do a credit card, which is simply not true. http://clarkdeals.com/commoncents/deb...

Pawel
Mar 25, 2017 Pawel rated it it was amazing
This is what I needed to know to get my financial life together.
Annette Booker
Jan 02, 2017 Annette Booker rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to go along with Financial Peace University. I love the resources provided in this book and look back to them as reference as I move through the Baby Steps.
Caitlin Morgan
Mar 05, 2017 Caitlin Morgan rated it it was amazing
Excellent easy to read and very easy to apply to real life.
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • How to Be Rich: It's Not What You Have. It's What You Do With What You Have.
  • One Year to an Organized Financial Life: From Your Bills to Your Bank Account, Your Home to Your Retirement, the Week-by-Week Guide to Achieving Financial Peace of Mind
  • No More Mondays: Fire Yourself -- and Other Revolutionary Ways to Discover Your True Calling at Work
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's
  • The Little Red Book of Wisdom
  • Wealthing Like Rabbits: An Original Introduction to Personal Finance
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle.
  • The Game of Numbers
  • Business By The Book: Complete Guide of Biblical Principles for the Workplace
  • Gazelles, Baby Steps and 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me about Debt
  • DiscipleShift: Five Steps That Help Your Church to Make Disciples Who Make Disciples
  • The Power of Who: You Already Know Everyone You Need to Know

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...

“The accountability of a group environment causes people to change their behaviors.” 0 likes