Start by marking “Manfred: A Dramatic Poem” as Want to Read:
Manfred: A Dramatic Poem

Manfred: A Dramatic Poem

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  917 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published March 10th 2009 by BiblioLife (first published 1817)

To ask other readers questions about Manfred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manfred

Miguel
Feb 14, 2012 Miguel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Byronic hero is deftly explored here, as in Childe Harold, but in a way which lends to a reading that this poem is Byron's confession of his forbidden love affair with his half-sister Augusta. But what is there to say about this classic, really? The prose is arresting and Manfred is inspiring, a character through life found no affinity with human beings and bucked the status-quo at every turn. Manfred strives to be the quintessential Nietzschean superman, valuing the forgetfulness of past in ...more
Jake
Aug 29, 2009 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
"'tis not so difficult to die!"

What a fascinating quote from a character whose great triumph of independence is choosing death. Why doesn't he say, "Choosing death has been a hard decision and will be an incredible sacrifice!" No, he says it wasn't that hard to do.

This is a marvelous and haunting poem, one of Lord Byron's great works. I revisit it from time to time. And I recommend it whether you are a Byron fan or not.

My favorite passage is Manfred's great monologue in Act III about a night vi
Rosemary
Apr 03, 2009 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot: "Manfred"s title character broods over mysterious feelings of despair and ennui, calls up spirits of Nature, persuades the forces of evil to call up his dead love in a futile attempt to set his soul at peace. The drama ends with his death, of course, and his friends wonder where his soul is headed -- "whither? I dread to think."

The appeal: How could such a despicably loathsome rake like Lord Byron write such exquisite poetry? The lines in Manfred are keen and clear, lyrical and lovely
Ismael Flores Vargas
Manfredo es uno de esos poemas que te llenan con una descripción tangente de su realidad.
Manfredo es una confesión que muy pocos pueden comprender. (Google es tu amigo.)
Me agrada la primera impresión que tengo de un héroe byroniano, que como todo, espero que mejore con el paso de las páginas.

"Somos la víctima del tiempo y de nuestros terrores; cada día se nos presentan
nuevas penas; vivimos sin embargo maldiciendo la vida y temiendo la muerte.
Gimiendo bajo el yugo que nos oprime, y cargado con
Princess Becca
Not having read anything much like this before, it's difficult for me to judge it – I found it somewhat dull trudging through the very self-conscious poetry to follow the plot to its culmination, but the actual quality of the poetry is undeniable, and I was often captivated by certain phrases and speeches. The plot itself was not nearly as interesting as the poetry; its only point of interest, really, was the implied incestuous relationship between Manfred and his sister Astarte, and that was ba ...more
Lesliemae
Jun 27, 2013 Lesliemae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Old man 'Tis not so difficult to die."

Manfred is hardcore. He dominates everything including spirits and deities claiming that he knows their modus operandi, and so needs nothing they can offer or fears nothing they can threaten as both are nothing. He's devoted only to two goals: death and reunion/reconciliation with the feminine principal of the universe. He is granted both by Astarte.

With suicide on the horizon: Enter the priest. The priest begs Manfred at the end, with full on eschatologic
Roberto Rigolin Ferreira Lopes
Son of mortals! The ultimate insult in a ghost story? I don't have the tools get the drama here. Most of the time I was laughing at the language, at the ghosts and, of course, at Manfred.
ArtYOm
Apr 19, 2014 ArtYOm rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
5/10. Mediocre, but better than his "Lara" & "Island".
Danny
Dec 20, 2015 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hamlet meets Faust. My favorite poem.
Levani Chkonia
Nov 14, 2015 Levani Chkonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"tis not so difficult to die" majestic...
Ann Bjerregaard
My first real encounter with the Byronic hero. Reminded me quite a lot of Gothic literature.
Marts  (Thinker)
Feb 27, 2014 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2014-reads
Classical poetry with a bit of a supernaturally gothic twist...
Audra
Aug 23, 2008 Audra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a seriously disturbing rhymed-meter novella. Basically, this mirrors Byron's obsession with his wife, who was a relative.

SPOILER:

In the book, Manfred murders his sister, who he's been romantically involved with, but then tries to summon her from the dead to forgive him. Freaky.

Devon
Feb 04, 2013 Devon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge fan of Manfred. The language is interesting and, at times, beautiful, but I wasn't carried away with it. It's difficult to hear about how difficult a character's life has been from their own mouth, especially when it's stated so directly, though, so that might be it.
Jlawrence
Nov 01, 2008 Jlawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very gothic and melodramatic, Byron's play of tortured individualism and concourse with 'powers beyond' nevertheless works because of his powerful writing and imagery, and his intriguing take on the theme of 'going beyond that which can be known by man'.
Emm
Nov 28, 2015 Emm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.6

such a lovely read! Byron has truly mastered the art of letting the words flow in a pleasant rhythm while letting them also have meaning to be pondered about.
Albert
Jul 15, 2014 Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting play but very vague.

You have to get past the vagueness and put your own interpretations.

It does have some elements of Goethe's faust.
Which I liked, but it was also very avant garde.
Suzette Kunz
Kind of weird. A guy stands on top of a mountain shouting to the heavens that he wants to die. Not to give it away or anything, but he gets his wish. Byron is just so TORTURED. Hope he's at peace now.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
I like his writing. Sensitive and detailed. He was my hero when I was student. And now, he is the last person who I don't wanna be due to his character.
Step aside his character, this drama was nice.
Avalon
Jul 12, 2008 Avalon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i absolutely loved this book! the story is certainly odd, but very poetic. typical of byron, the language is beautifull and elegant. this is an amazing book, and one of my faveorites.
Heather Coverly
It's reach far extends its time and unknowingly permeates our culture to this day. Can you say "Byronic Hero" in the Western genre.
§--
Nov 17, 2012 §-- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
No plot, but exquisite poetry. Obviously strongly influenced by Faust, but short and sweet, without Goethe's head-trips.
Michelle
Oct 29, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Michelle by: Dr. Shannon
The only reason that is even okay is because I love Dr. Faustus so much, and this reminds me of it at every turn.
Barry
Sep 30, 2015 Barry added it
Shelves: fiction, poetry
Manfred has excellent soliloquies in this. Also, there are some pretty interesting reinterpretations of self-as-Hell.
Adam Lewis
Aug 13, 2011 Adam Lewis rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorite pieces of literature. Manfred's frenetic struggle with the supernatural is surreal.
Maike
This was the first time reading about the byronic hero and the sublime. I liked the story
Nov 12, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emooooo. Quite lovely though, and a fast read.
Stacey
Dreary. Reads like Shakespeare.
Andrew Slimp
Feb 14, 2013 Andrew Slimp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would love to see this on stage. Alas-
Diana Creţu
Nov 18, 2013 Diana Creţu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pure epicness. As expected of Byron.
  • Prometheus Unbound
  • Polyeucte
  • John Keats: Poems (Everyman Poetry)
  • The Complete Poems
  • Christabel
  • Dithyrambs of Dionysus
  • Horace
  • Shelley: The Pursuit
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r ...more
More about George Gordon Byron...

“The stars are forth, the moon above the tops
Of the snow-shining mountains.—Beautiful!
I linger yet with Nature, for the night
Hath been to me a more familiar face
Than that of man; and in her starry shade
Of dim and solitary loveliness,
I learn'd the language of another world.”
27 likes