Start by marking “Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery, #5)

Privileged to Kill (Bill Gastner Mystery #5)

Cruising along state road 17, Undersheriff Bill Gastner is sitting warm and comfortable in his patrol car, looking for no one or nothing in particular, when he first lays eyes on Wesley Crocker, who is pushing his baggage-laden old bicycle toward Posadas along the road's shoulder.

Gastner notices the man's flat tire and offers him a lift into town. Now, Gastner is not one
Published February 1st 1997 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Privileged to Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Privileged to Kill

Elly Wendy
Sep 28, 2016 Elly Wendy rated it really liked it
4* Enjoyed this a lot and will be looking for more in the series or by this author. In this case, the narrator made a big difference. I'm familiar with him and he always adds to the story.
Cathy Cole
Apr 09, 2015 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, and it would be extremely easy for me to sit down and read each book one right after the other. But I don't. I make myself parcel them out one at a time-- almost like giving myself a gift every six months or so.

What makes this series so good? Just about everything. Fictional Posadas County, New Mexico, is right on the border with Mexico. Havill uses the landscape and the weather to paint in details of his setting, but he also uses situations that arise with our neighbor to th
Ed
Oct 18, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Shelves: law-enforcement
#5 in the Posadas County mystery series. This series adds real life issues such as aging and heart problems to the mystery venue. Rural Posadas County, NM on the Mexican border provides yet another dimension to raise this series above many of its cookie cutter brethren. Undersheriff Bill Gastner serves as mentor to his brilliant young deputy Estelle Guzman-Reyes.

Posadas County mystery - Bill Gastner labors 'round the clock to solve the death of 15-year-old Maria Ibarra. The first suspect is Wesl
Robert Scott
Jul 06, 2015 Robert Scott rated it really liked it
Finished 05/24/2014. Bill Gastner picks up a drifter whose bicycle tire has gone flat along the highway & treats him to a meal. When the man retires for the night near the school football field, there is a lot of activity & a young girl's body is left under the bleachers. The nomad is picked up by the police and put in a cell. G believes him when he says he did not kill the girl. Then as the students are returning from an away game there is a terrible accident that kills one of the stude ...more
Rosemary
Aug 18, 2012 Rosemary rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-series
PROTAGONIST: Undersheriff Bill Gastner
SERIES: #5
SETTING: New Mexico

I'm still loving Gastner and his colleagues, but this one had a character that I didn't think rang true, and whose story never really got wrapped up. Annoying. Also, I think he was going for a look at how police treat " people of interest" differently depending on their backgrounds, and it didn't work for me.
Robert J.
Apr 02, 2014 Robert J. rated it it was amazing
This is the best-written of the Gastner novels I've read so far, very subtle characterizations and excellent use of point of view. There is perhaps a little too much brow furrowing, but it's all showing at least, not telling. The mystery is engaging, as is the police procedural aspect. I do wonder how Gastner makes it through the novel, though, no spoilers but jeez....
E
Jul 26, 2016 E rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series. The continuing development of the relationships between Bill, Estelle, and Francis seems very realistic and touching to me. Havill is very good at creating walk-through characters like Crocker, whose transient bicycle touring character and mode of speaking are pegged solid. Once again, Rusty Nelson's narration is pitch perfect.
Ellen Dark
Dec 28, 2015 Ellen Dark rated it liked it
I liked this book about Under-sheriff Bill Gastner, the fifth in the series. Gastner has his work cut out for him when the body of a young girl is found under the bleachers at the local high school. The series is similar to Craig Johnson's Longmire series.
Vicki Gooding
Jul 22, 2016 Vicki Gooding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Undersheriff Bill Gastner is Posadas County. As usual a lot of excitement, humor, and anticipation. I love these books. Just not sure I like the direction this one now appears to be taking the series.
Debbie Mcnally
Feb 28, 2016 Debbie Mcnally rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Great Audio book the narrator reminded me of how my Dad would tell tales. Great for someone who loves mystery and older.
Claudia
Dec 12, 2012 Claudia rated it liked it
A good series with solid characters and interesting mysteries. I've now read three in the series and am still really enjoying it.
Michele bookloverforever
I recommend this mystery series. set in small town in new mexico not far from the mexican border. main characters are interesting and plots are decent.
Kira
Feb 18, 2009 Kira rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, small town southwest mystery series. Great writing, good plots and not over the top at all. Highly recommend anything by Steve Havill.
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Edward
Edward rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Kenneth Nordqvist
Kenneth Nordqvist rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Eugene
Eugene rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
David L. Haven, Jr.
David L. Haven, Jr. rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Blair
Blair rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2009
Ross Lawrie
Ross Lawrie rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2012
Anisa
Anisa rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2016
Sasaupe
Sasaupe rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Hugh Smith
Hugh Smith rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Terry Tschann Skelton
Terry Tschann Skelton rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Michelle Smith
Michelle Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
  • Dry Heat
  • The Stolen Blue (Claire Reynier, #1)
  • Mexican Hat (Kevin Kerney, #2)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • Cool in Tucson (Sarah Burke, #1)
  • Brooklyn Bones
  • The Curious Eat Themselves (Cecil Younger, #2)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon (Woods Cop, #3)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
Steven F. Havill is an American author of mysteries and westerns.

Havill lives in Raton, New Mexico, with his wife Kathleen. He has written two series of police procedurals set in the fictional Posadas County, New Mexico; along with other works.

More about Steven F. Havill...

Bill Gastner Mystery (10 books)
  • One Perfect Shot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #.05)
  • Heartshot (Bill Gastner Mystery, #1)
  • Bitter Recoil (Bill Gastner Mystery, #2)
  • Twice Buried (Bill Gastner Mystery, #3)
  • Before She Dies (Bill Gastner Mystery, #4)
  • Prolonged Exposure (Bill Gastner Mystery, #6)
  • Out of Season (Bill Gastner Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Weight (Bill Gastner Mystery, #8)
  • Bag Limit (Bill Gastner Mystery, #9)