Start by marking “All That Is Gone” as Want to Read:
All That Is Gone

All That Is Gone

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  585 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Pramoedya Ananta Toer’s transcendent novels have become part of the world literary canon, but it is his short fiction that originally made him famous. The first full-size collection of his short stories to appear in English, All That Is Gone draws from the author’s own experiences in Indonesia to depict characters trying to make sense of a war-torn culture haunted by colon ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about All That Is Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All That Is Gone

Arlina
Feb 19, 2012 Arlina rated it really liked it
A collection of stories that have an autobiographical nature, a journey through the years that lead to the independence of Indonesia through the eyes of a child and end in the post-independence era observed by a young man, where all the hopes for a better future that bloomed during the tumultuous years are only meagerly answered.

Lost. Innocence lost, hope lost, dignity and humanity lost. What else can one expect from the simple people that got trampled and were not just bereaved physically, but
Pra
May 26, 2015 Pra marked it as sudah-punya-tapi-belum-dibaca  ·  review of another edition
Pada suatu pagi ketika jalan-jalan ke Kota Lama. Niatnya cuma mau lihat-lihat pasar klitikan dadakan yang digelar bersamaan dengan acara Kenduri Onthelis Nasional di kawasan Polder Tawang. Sejumlah pedagang tampak mulai menata barang-barang dagangannya. Mataku langsung mencari lapak-lapak yang terlihat menjual buku atau majalah buluk. Di salah satu stan, terlihat setumpuk buku buluk. Si pedagang sedang sibuk menata barang-barang yang lain. Aku bongkar-bongkar, hingga mataku tertuju pada sebuah b ...more
Brian
Nov 11, 2008 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2008, asian
This book of short stories surprised me. Toer has a great voice (I’d prefer taking a stab at reading in the original Indonesian language because parts of the translation didn’t sound right). The short story Acceptance was a sad and brutal tale of civil unrest and fighting between the Indonesian Republicans and Communist idealists. He put into words some of the most realistic descriptions of war brutality I’ve ever read… simple, unexplainable wrath that led people (masses) to inflict extreme tort ...more
Kiki Vierdayanti
Jun 26, 2007 Kiki Vierdayanti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iroiro
Saat membaca bab pertama dari buku ini, saya langsung suka. Cerita dari saat sang pencerita masih dalam kandungan sang ibu yang paling saya suka. Why not?
Meskipun ada bagian cerita yang membuat saya sedikit bosan, namun secara keseluruhan buku ini sangat menarik.
Sulit sekali menjawab buku Pramoedya mana yang paling menarik, karena setiap kali membaca salah satu bukunya setiap kali saya dibuatnya jatuh hati. Yappari, saino no aru hito da.
Jim Fonseca
Sep 06, 2015 Jim Fonseca rated it really liked it
This collection of semi-autobiographical short stories is set in a small rural town in Indonesia. The book begins with some coming-of-age stories of a young man, but most of the action takes place during WW II. Recall that Indonesia was a Dutch colony. (Even today that connection persists: if you've cruised on Holland America, the ship is staffed by Indonesians; the Netherlands houses 400,000 Indonesian immigrants.)

During WW II the Japanese invaded the island nation and displaced the Dutch. At f
Chintya Dewi
Feb 24, 2011 Chintya Dewi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cerita dari Blora adalah kumpulan cerpen PAT yang ditulis semasa revolusi 1945-1949, semasa di dalam dan selepas penjara Belanda di Bukit Duri, Jakarta. Pertama kali diterbitkan oleh Balai Pustaka pada tahun 1952, dan semenjak itu kumpulan cerpen ini telah diterjemahkan ke dalam pelbagai bahasa asing, lengkap keseluruhannya ataupun terpisah satu persatu. Kesemua cerpen ini mengisahkan kejadian di tahun-tahun awal revolusi di kota kelahiran penulis.

Teknik bercerita Pramoedya yang sedemikian kuat
Roberts
Toer's writing is often lyrical, even in translation. The book contains 8 short stories, some about the time around his youth, I assume the early 1930s, and a few around the time Indonesia was fighing for independence against the Dutch colonization and subsequent Japanese occupation during WW II. This is not a book about history though, but instead one about individual people and families caught up in the currents of history.

I liked the first of the 'youth' stories -- 'All That is Gone', for wh
Ratih
Sep 25, 2007 Ratih rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sangat menarik. Gambaran cerita kehidupan sehari-hari yang sederhana dengan latar belakang sejarah perjuangan Indonesia, cukup menyentuh ketika kita menyadari betapa perkembangan jaman telah membawa kita sangat jauh dari masa itu, namun ada banyak hal yang justru kita tertinggal dari orang-orang yang hidup dimasa itu. Antara lain semangat kebangsaan dan kemandirian yang tinggi.
Frank
Jul 08, 2007 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories from an Indonesian political prisoner with a voice both spare and lyrical. Sad, but not without hope, these stories offer insight into Javanese culture from arguably Indonesia's greatest voice.
Sophia
Feb 12, 2016 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian-books
The thing I like the most about this book is how down-to-earth and grounded it is. Inside this book are honest tales about hardships and suffering that makes it so unique, because it doesn't attempt to make things appear more than they really are. He brought tears to my eyes in the first chapter of the book, which is a first for me. He also made me really think about life, its meaning, and what it means to suffer.

Not only does he do that, he is also able to capture Indonesian history in beautifu
Marina Zala
** Books 245 - 2014 **

Read in english, write the review with Bahasa

All that is Gone adalah karya dari Bung Pram yang pernah menghiasi di Indonesia diterbitkan oleh Penguin books tahun 2005. Buku ini berisi 8 cerita pendek yang diterjemahkan dari dua buku kumpulan cerita pendeknya, Cerita dari Blora (terbit 1952, dilarang beredar pada tahun 1976), dan Subuh, (1951). tujuh cerita awal diambil dari cerita Blora dan satu cerita dari Subuh. Saya akan mengupas masing-masing Cerita pendek didalam buku
Ghada
Apr 17, 2011 Ghada rated it liked it
Shelves: 52-books
On bookstore shelves housing works of fiction which have been written by current authors, it has become a kind of trend to find stories from Afghanistan, Pakistan and countries from The Arabian Gulf. So, when I found this book I was intrigued to read the stories that Pramoedya Toer (who was a political prisoner for several years) had published based on his experiences while living in Indonesia during its struggle for independence.

Similar to the other books, the backdrop of his stories is also i
Reza Hendrawan
Dec 22, 2007 Reza Hendrawan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Reviewers of Cerita Dari Blora

Aku pernah punya versi jaman doeloe dari buku ini. Kusam dengan sedikit coretan di sampul depannya dan ujung kanan bawah dari beberapa lembar halamannya seperti lapuk oleh massa. Mungkin rayap atau bekas ludah orang yang basah menggumpal lalu koyak tanpa sengaja ketika membalikkan halaman.

Sial... seribu sial. Buku yang harganya cuma beberapa rupiah ini - tak sampai 50 rupiah seingatku - hilang entah kemana. Beberapa kawan pernah silih berganti meminjamnya, dan
Sera Ranasisca
May 21, 2015 Sera Ranasisca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. It told the perfect past even when the story at sorrows, happiness, and it make that all of motivation that we often heard from everyone that declared her/him self as motivator likes no use again
Haha, seharusnya aku tidak usah sok ke-inggris-an
Neil
Dec 17, 2010 Neil rated it really liked it
Tiffany
Mar 21, 2010 Tiffany rated it liked it
I'd say this book was "just OK." Nothing thrilling about it, although writing was better than a lot of other authors I've stumbled upon lately. I tend to gravitate towards books with heavy cultural content because I like learning about how others' live. The cover of the book notes chapters on child brides, ritual circumcision, traditional roles of men and women. Given those topics, and the fact that when I thumbed through the book in the used bookstore and found the writing to be decent, I was e ...more
Christy
I rated and reviewed this book, just not for Goodreads/Amazon. See http://www.librarything.com/profile_r...
Rinai
Apr 05, 2008 Rinai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book is collected his short stories, tells about the low-middle Indonesian family, I have been reading this book almost a half of it, high recommended to read!

Soo true...soo naif ...soo sad...oh my Indonesia, the best part that I love when tells "swadesi era", when we realized consumerisme in this country has been contagious all over the country, we missed our nationality! we even almost sale our land, our sand,our oil, the land that we stand was sold, everything ran out!

this book reminder
Nina Belle
Jan 24, 2013 Nina Belle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kumpulan cerita yang menyayat hati dan mengusik rasa kemanusiaan yang dikemas secara apik oleh pram. sebagai salah satu mantan digulis, pram mengajak kita berkelana ke masa2 suram sebagai orang buangan berikut cerita-cerita petualangan yang cukup mendebarkan ketika para digulis itu berusaha melarikan diri menuju suatu tempat yang lebih "beradab" tapi sayangnya, karena hampir semua penulis menggunakan bahasa melayu (atau mungkin juga bahasa lain ?), saya sedikit kesulitan memahami bahasa dalam bu ...more
Trisnadi Mirwan
Feb 03, 2015 Trisnadi Mirwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
bvv
Fanni
Nov 24, 2013 Fanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lewat cerita-cerita dari buku ini terbayang keadaan dan kondisi di masa penjajahan, munculnya masa swadesi, pendudukan Jepang, munculnya tentara merah sampai di cerita terakhir "Yang Hitam" digambarkan tokoh pejuang revolusi yang cacat frustasi. Buku ini juga menceritakan sejarah Indonesia dari sudut pandang lain dengan tidak menceritakan tokoh-tokoh "besar" yang selama ini diceritakan dalam buku sejarah.
Diah Ayu
ini kumpulan cerpen yg miris2 banget ceritanya. sedih dan bikin aku yg baca entah kenapa jd ngerasa ikutan salah. ngerasa punya andil yg mengakibatkan para tokoh utama di setiap cerita ini hidupnya jd begitu sengsara.

dan selama membaca buku ini aku membayangkan Pramoedya Ananta Toer, waktu itu usianya twenty-something, menulis cerpen2 ini dg kepala berkecamuk.. *alah*
Thuyen
Apr 29, 2012 Thuyen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a wonderful short story-ish format. The topics however are about the harsh harsh reality of revolutionary Indonesia. These stories are sad enough to make you want to give up on humanity. The author even acknowledges his story lines may be unnecessarily depressing. It is a book that can give you perspective if you read it, but may drain you of hope.
Ben Loory
Nov 30, 2008 Ben Loory rated it liked it
the early stories were great and pretty much devastating... especially the one about the 8-year old bride... but then the later stories got all tied up in indonesian history and politics and i have no interest in that. history and politics, that is... not the indonesian part, specifically.

though the unkillable man was awesome.
Wiji Suprayogi
Oct 13, 2010 Wiji Suprayogi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perkenalan pertama saya dengan Pram...sebelum baca yg ada di kepala saya: apa sih hebatnya Pram ini? Di awal baca terasa aneh dan kaku karena ejaan yang dipakai masih lama (yang saya punya terbitan 1963). Tapi karena memang mutiara, maka sampai habis say terpesona dng cara Pram mendramatisir suasana....hebat
Beth
Apr 13, 2008 Beth rated it it was ok
This was a random pick...it is a book of short stories by the author. A couple of the stories were a bit boring so I skipped past those but overall it was an entertaining book. Each story has its own message, sometimes told through a child's eyes, about life and love and humanity and the struggle to figure it all out.
Pera
Jun 27, 2007 Pera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, indonesia
I love this book.
Pram make me back to my childhood.

Aku lebih suka buku ini dari pada bumi manusia. Cara Pram menuliskan pemikiran anak kecil sangat mengagumkan.Kisah masa PKI yang mengiris, membuat generasi yang telah jauh dari masa tersebut terhenyak dan berkata "kejam".
Gamaliel
Sep 27, 2007 Gamaliel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pecinta sastra
Shelves: sastraindonesia
pertama kali baca pram... meskipun bahasanya gak akrab di telinga orang sekarang, tapi cerpen2 ini cukup menarik unutk diapresiasi...
Dewa
Aug 29, 2008 Dewa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indonesian
'Kena' banget. situasinya kena, penokohannya kena.Bagus banget!
Ada beberapa cerita yg bikin gw berkaca2 waktu baca di mikrolet.
Ebiet
May 18, 2008 Ebiet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Description of Indonesian in the early modernization. A great anthology to give us the small picture of Indonesia.
  • Saya Terbakar Amarah Sendirian!
  • Penembak Misterius: Kumpulan Cerita Pendek
  • Malam Terakhir: Kumpulan Cerpen
  • Kuda Terbang Maria Pinto
  • Laki-laki Lain dalam Secarik Surat
  • Parijs van Java: Darah, Keringat, Air mata
  • Bekisar Merah (Bekisar Merah, #1)
Pramoedya Ananta Toer was an Indonesian author of novels, short stories, essays, polemics, and histories of his homeland and its people. A well-regarded writer in the West, Pramoedya's outspoken and often politically charged writings faced censorship in his native land during the pre-reformation era. For opposing the policies of both founding president Sukarno, as well as those of its successor, t ...more
More about Pramoedya Ananta Toer...

“Kesenangan adalah tanda bahwa kematian mulai meraba jiwa manusia” 34 likes