Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS

Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  29 reviews
With over 60,000 copies sold since its first edition, this SitePoint best-seller has just had a fresh update to include recent advances in the web industry.

With the first two editions coming highly recommended by established, leading web designers and developers, the third edition with all its extra goodies will continue that trend. Also fully updated to include the latest...more
Published July 30th 2011 by SitePoint (first published May 2nd 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS

Jaret Manuel
Ok but web standardistas html css is much better and teamtreehouse.com or Jeff Ways' 30 days HTML CSS are great primers.
Vishwa Karma
I believe that this book has been updated and a new edition is available in the market. But, I am referring to the older (possibly 1st edition) version/edition of this book.

This book, especially the CSS part was an eye opener for me.

I had learned HTML when it was ok to use the blink tag ... if you know what i mean. Then, I had given up on the whole "build my own web site" fad. That was till I came across this book.

I bought it because I got it at a fairly good discounted price. And I read it beca...more
Mike
My technical book collection consists of almost nothing but books published by O'Reilly. O'Reilly books are so good, it usually isn't worth the trouble to browse through all the other books on the bookshelf to figure which one to buy. Still, if I had to pick a favorite publisher for web technology, it would be sitepoint. The problem is they just haven't published many books.

I think "Build Your Own Web Site the Right Way" is the absolutely best book on the market to teach you the philosophy behin...more
Trisha Cornelius
In this book written for beginners Ian Lloyd presents the basic concepts of html and css. Overall it is fairly comprehensive and fairly well-written.

A couple of things that could be improved upon:
In the chapter on Jquery no explanation of syntax is given whatsoever, and while the book purports to build on markup that was written in an earlier chapter, an important technical aspect is glossed over with regard to using the #ids from the form processing code.

All in all, it's a good beginners book...more
Mo Tipton
I was so impressed after working through the first four chapters of this book, available for free at http://www.sitepoint.com/books/html1/, that I ordered my own copy, and I now have the skills to hand code a basic website. Written in an engaging, and at times, quite humorous manner, which, when talking about a technical manual of any sort, is really saying something, it was actually fun learning basic XHTML and CSS.

This book will teach you how to create XHTML documents, which you will then sty...more
Built my first website using this book - fantastic company!
Ida
Aug 11, 2007 Ida rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious beginning web designer
this book was much more helpful than any software based web design book I have been asked to pick up for school. By focusing on the languages you are using and compatibility standards, it gives a solid foundation for building more skills, rather than a scaffolding for cobbling together web pages. The one thing it does skimp on is relative div positioning, and the blog chapter is a bit weak. That's why I am moving on to Rachel Andrew's HTML Utopia.
Trish
This was very, very useful in basics for building a website. I'm not saying that this is the only book one would need--in fact, I would suggest reading several others to see what you're missing. I learned useful things from other books, but realized that without the background given in this book, I would have been lost, or struggling. Good job, great background, thanks to the author, and the editors.
Shaphron
Apr 25, 2009 Shaphron rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to start learning web building
Recommended to Shaphron by: Parlicoot
Shelves: web-stuff, i-own-it
Very useful primer for learning the basics of XHTML and CSS, and it points you in the right direction on where to go next. You don't learn any bad habbits, as the title says - you learn the "Right Way". The only detriment is that it doesn't go very far with the subnject matter - but then, it is a broad subject, and it is written for beginners (and those who want to make sure they have a solid foundation).
David Hinckley
Jul 04, 2008 David Hinckley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone starting into web design or development
This was a really great introduction to building websites using good code. It doesn't go into incredible depth into anything specifically, but gives a good foundation into how to do a lot of useful things, then points to additional resources to learn more in-depth. I came out of the book with much more confidence building sites and a good idea of the next steps I needed to take.
Erik
Really great resource for building a web site for any noobs to web design. Used it to learn CSS while working on my own web site overhaul. It also improved my html and helped me to build a site the can be easily redesigned in the future rather than requiring a complete recoding.
Andrew Fearn
This book is a good introduction into creating web sites and I believe I could create a decent looking web site based on the information just in the book.

It may possibly try to cover too many topics, and possibly could have spent more time just covering html 5 and css.
Kristi
I know this is important so I'm trying to have a good attitude. It's the most informative of the 4 I checked out...
For a how to book that covers a subject I've resisted for years, it's pretty darn good. Almost done... then I'll read it again and apply as I go.
Steven
Mar 31, 2010 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steven by: Paul Boag
This book is a great introduction to web development. It is a little slow in the first chapter but quickly picks up and presents the material well in subsequent sections. I even learned a thing or two and I have been developing websites for a decade.
Mindi
I really liked this book because it gave me a really good foundation of HTML and using CSS as well. It didn't go too far in depth in any one particular area... so I can tell I will need to get other books to target specific topics.
Nathalie
This is a good book if you want to learn HTML and CSS. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. It did help that I first spent an afternoon reading about the rudimentals of HTML and CSS on such websites as htmldog.com

Heather
I wouldn't recommend this book as a reference, but definitely a good book for newbies - provides clear information explained in a way that makes it easy for everyone to understand.
Ferenc

Simple explanations for people with no or little computing background, it will probably bore more experienced computer users and programmers. Covers essential xhtml and css.
Francesca Tessari
Ottimo manuale per chi vuole cominciare a studiare html e css. Spiegazioni semplici ed esempi concreti, ma mi �� dispiaciuto che le jquery fossero appena accennate.
Leo Polovets
Okay for novices, poor of everyone else. Has some random sections, like integrating Blogger with your site (who cares? what does this have to do with HTML and CSS?)
Jessica
I didn't like this book very much at all. It has some good information that I was excited to learn, but it is now obsolete since blogspot discontinue their FTP service.
Brent Mair
Dec 27, 2010 Brent Mair marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, abandoned
So far so good. Rather basic so it is likely a good start for newbies. It doesn't address HTML5 but I'm guessing most starter books won't for another year.
Adam
Not really the information I was hoping to get out of this book, but probably is a good resource for true beginners to web development.
Kimberly
Nice examples to get a feel for web coding, but only a beginner book. Feels like a very basic self-taught course.
Bhavya
Great book for beginners! It is very interactive, easy to follow and fun to read.
Lauren
May 17, 2013 Lauren added it
This book was really helpful for creating my website for my IT coursework.
Hazel
Great for beginners like myself.
Dave Visaya
essential book for web developing
Humza
best html/css tutorial
Lauren
Lauren is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2014