Open Preview read excerpt

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  23 reviews
People have often wondered if we are the only intelligent life in the universe — well we're not, and they’ve been here all along.

Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians is a novel set amongst the lives of the other major civilization inhabiting this planet: the dolphins. The book is aimed at adult readers, but will appeal to young adults (teenagers) too.

Watch a two minute video...more
Published July 4th 2011 by Aquapress (first published January 1st 2011)

Win a Copy of This Book

• Dolphin Way by Mark Caney
    ***WIN A SIGNED COPY***

Set in the world of the other intelligent race that we share this planet with, Dolphin Way is an adventure story with a real di…more
    Giveaway dates: Aug 27 - Sep 30, 2014
    1 copy available, 642 people requesting
    Countries available: US, CA, and GB more
    read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolphin Way

Milla
    DOLPHIN WAY THE RISE OF THE GUARDIANS is a superbly crafted and multi-layered novel, with the result that it has a wide readership appeal which will satisfy children and adults alike, and have them begging for more. In this superb novel author Mark Caney, who is an experienced diver, describes the intelligence and society of dolphins and how man’s destruction of their environment is affecting them.
    On one level it is a beautiful story of life under the sea as seen through the eyes of bottle-nosed...more
    Dana Burgess
    When I first received a request to review Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians I was intrigued by a book written from a dolphin's point of view that was for adults. Could go either way but I was willing to give it a try. After reading it, I'd say it is appropriate for anyone from about 16 years and up.

There are certain things that amaze me about authors. One of those is how some amazing writers can create worlds so different from the world we live in. Mark Caney is one of those authors that blows...more
    Angie
    Just wanted to say that I cant wait to journey again once more with Sky and the clan!
    I loved the book and felt it brings to light the concept of dolphins being non-human persons. I have made it a compulsory set book for our volunteers so they can understand the intelligence they are working with when dealing with the Dolphins of Ponta!
    Thank you for such a beautiful read.
    For the Love of Dolphins
    Angie Gullan
    Michelle
    This book does something different, and does it well. I'm going to list what I loved about it, followed by what I didn't love.

What I love
    * The details. The dolphin civilization is very inventive. Everything from the unique way dolphins greet each other, to their naming conventions, to the way the dolphins have to go up for air every few minutes, to the way they read the "shades" of the water -- so much fun.

* Descriptive. I love books that take me to interesting places, and with this book, I lov...more
    Kristina Vallaste
    I won this book from the First Reads giveaways. Of course I was extremely happy when I received the e-mail saying I had; I had never won anything before in my life. It is also the first autographed book now sitting on my shelf.

I have to admit though, when I first saw this book among the giveaways, I did not pay much attention to it. I'm not sure what made me change my mind, I had no idea what to expect from this book. I remember reading a few reviews before deciding to give it a try. And I won!...more
    Felicity
    I found Dolphin Way a truly captivating tale. Between the covers of this book I lived among the dolphins. I got to know some wonderful characters, I laughed, shed tears and followed their adventures with bated breath. I listened to their fears for their home and for our planet and marvelled at their understanding of deep philosophies. This exquisite book left me with a deeper understanding of our world. If you want to read something very special then I highly recommend you read this beautiful do...more
    Marilyn
    Nov 18, 2012 Marilyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
    Recommended to Marilyn by: Goodreads Giveaway
    I don’t buy a lot of books, usually I borrow them at the library or try to find an electronic version for my Kobo. But this book intrigued me, I am an animal lover and all the good reviews made me add it to my to-read list. Since I could not find it at the library I decided to take a chance and bought it on the net.
    I must confess that I've been disappointed at the beginning. Things happened, but not a lot and it really seems to be going nowhere. Plus you have to familiarize yourself with the vo...more
    Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
    Ok I wont lie. When I first saw this book I was like... ookeey, this is different, and it is but and there is a big BUT, it is really, really surprisingly good, it was wonderful in fact. Yeah I know it is about dolphins and it is not a children´s book.

This author has made his research and it is a very thoughtfully and well written book. The book handle a lot of stuff. The way of life for a dolphin and how hard it is for them while the humans (the walkers) destroy the Eco system in the ocean.
    The...more
    (I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I've read a few books in the past that focus on the lives on animals - Watership Down and The Animals of Farthing Wood come to mind. Dolphin Way is the first book I've read that focuses on animals in the sea.

Despite the fact that the characters were all dolphins, I found it quite easy to empathise with them. I particularly liked Sky - and I thought the naming of the dolphins worked reall...more
    Lance Jones
    I have at last found time to reads this book. Travelling to my home in Norway provided the perfect opportunity. I opened the book and read the first pages on the plane.
    I wondered how I would find this book, how could a book possibly compare to the numerous times I have been fortunate to dive with these creatures in the wild. I had to push through the first chapter, as I tried to orientate myself to the story line, was this a book about dolphins or and orientation to the underwater world?
    I realiz...more
    The Commuting Bookworm
    I was not sure when I received this book, if it was my cup of tea. However once I started to read, I could not put it down and I have read in four days flat which is quick for me.

Its a very Cane and Able type of story but the imagery in it, and the imagination that Mark has used is wonderful. Also it makes you think about what we are doing to our environment. It also gives you an idea of perhaps how us "walkers" are perceived

Although written for the adult market, I think this would be especiall...more
    Lucy Byrne
    I, like many others, at first eyed this book with trepidation, a book written from the perspective of a dolphin seemed like it could go one way or the other. I was wrong to worry, Mark Caney's "Dolphin way" is a great success he's taken a tricky subject matter and not only made it accessible but also maintained a page turning story throughout.
    I go into schools to talk about Marine conservation as part of my work and often tell the 18+ age group to read this book, it has many facts within the pa...more
    Holly
    Absolutely wonderful novel! I stumbled across this book online and decided to take the risk and order it. So very glad I did. Not only does the story have an interesting and brilliant plot, but the author did an amazing job of creating a culture for these dolphins. The first half can be a little slow, basically setting the stage for the second half, which is much more exiting. I would definitely recommended this book, even if you are not into animal tales. 'Dolphin Way' is unique to it's genre.
    Nancy
    Thoroughly enjoyed Dolphin Way. Reminded me of Watership Down but with an environmental message. No wonder I liked it ;-)
    Pamela
    Flawlessly written and a lovely plotline. The ending was pretty depressing. N.E.E.D. the sequel!!!!!! ;D
    Denia
    I think everyone should read this book... Love it!!!!
    Alexie
    An absorbing escape - beautifully crafted.
    Azalea
    I so wanted to love this. But I only ended up liking it.

The world building is fairly interesting. While there are some parallels to Tui Allen's intriguing Ripple, Caney stays original with his anthropomorphization of dolphins and creates a rather complex society. At times so complex and full of fictionary that I had no idea what these characters were actually talking about. I wished the glossary was included in the book and I highly recommend to change this in future editions.

Every chapter star...more
    Ellie
    Touches The Sky is a young, male dolphin living within a clan which follows the teachings of the Way, passed down through generations. He is an outsider, rescued by humans when his family were beached but he is loyal to his elders. As he trains as a Novice, those around him start to ask questions about a mysterious group of rebels known as the Guardians.

I feel a bit ambiguous about Dolphin Way. The very first page is a moving account of a beached dolphin and our main character witnessing a slow...more
    Lynne Page
    I put this book on my to-read list because I was delighted to see I’m not the only person who has thrown around the (fictional) idea of cetaceans as sentient beings. So I really had high hopes for this novel. I myself relate better to the great humpback whales as the sentient giants of the ocean, but the dolphins really are much more prolific with a very complex social culture, so choosing dolphins certainly made sense.

Over all, I loved the idea of this novel. From naming the whales the Great W...more
    Trutze
    I don't know if I like to give it 3 or 4 stars,
    wish there was a 10 star system instead of just 5.
    A 3 star rating isn't a bad one but it appears to be bad.

This book is a good read, it just isn't mind
    blowing.
    I will certainly pick up the next in the series,
    even though I think the ending could have been a bit less of a cliffhanger.

What I love about it and why i chose 4 instead of 3 stars is
    the idea and the teachings of the book.
    The message to the reader is very obvious and not at all disguised in t...more
    Carolyn
    Well-written, full of insights on dolphin society, even though it is fiction. I did jib just a little at one group of dolphins, feeling they seemed too much like twisted human beings; and i don't think there is any evidence for that kind of mentality in dolphins. It can perhaps be read, in a symbolic sense, as an indictment of human beings in their less delicious manifestations, particularly the tendency to fanaticism.
    Elizabeth
    I was very intrigued by the concept of Dolphin Way when I entered (and won) the goodreads giveaway. I love reading books that are different from what I usually read, unfortunately I just really could not get into this book at all. I may pick it up at a later date and try again because I am sure it is a good book.
    Savannah Santilli
    Savannah Santilli marked it as to-read
    Monika
    Monika marked it as to-read
    Launette
    Launette marked it as to-read
    Darren Mitton
    Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
    Jeff Miller
    Jeff Miller marked it as to-read
    Kristina Jones
    Kristina Jones marked it as to-read
    Eric Frame
    Eric Frame marked it as to-read
    Dolphin lovers!!!...: Dolphin Way 3 13 Jun 19, 2013 01:31PM
    Creative Reviews: Adventurous reviewers wanted 1 17 Jul 19, 2012 07:54AM
    • Land of Nod: The Prophet (Land of Nod Trilogy, #2)
    • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
    • Velvet Rain
    • The Plectra Conspiracy
    • The Kronos Interference
    • Travels With Tinkerbelle - 6000 Miles Around France In A Mechanical Wreck
    • The Temporal Stone (Morgan Sisters, #2)
    • Book of Prophecies
    • Poisonous
    • Endless
    • Exit Strategy (Katerina Carter Suspense, #1)
    • Lessness and More
    I became fascinated with dolphins after an extraordinary experience that started one night on a lonely stretch of desert coast in the Red Sea. There I was fortunate enough to spend many hours alone with a wild dolphin. By the time I left, I wanted to learn more about these incredible creatures.

I have been a diver since I was eighteen, when I started as a hobby while with the British military. When...more
    More about Mark Caney...

“I love you for what you are
    Though your heart bears scars
    From life's harsh tempests
    I would not wish it unblemished
    Each wound carved your strength
    Suffering gave you wisdom
    These flaws make you perfect”
    9 likes