Start by marking “Spills and Spin: The Inside Story of BP” as Want to Read:
Spills and Spin: The Inside Story of BP

Spills and Spin: The Inside Story of BP

A gripping and eye-opening account of a corporation in crisis, setting the spill in its broader context within the history of BP and big oil

In April 2010, the world watched in alarm as BP's Macondo well suffered a fatal explosion and a catastrophic leak. Over the next three months, amid tense scenes of corporate and political finger-pointing, millions of barrels of crude
Published July 7th 2011 by Random House UK

To ask other readers questions about Spills and Spin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spills and Spin

Jessica
May 11, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
It’s very rare that I consider a non-fiction book fascinating…but for the whole first part of this book on Browne I was pretty much hooked. So many parts of BP’s culture that drive me crazy could be traced back to where it started. For me it was a validation relief. And I’m sure this isn’t just BP or anything, you can probably write a book like this on any major corporation. I’ll probably somehow get in trouble for this post but here goes my favorite quotes and my commentary to go with them.

Pag
Viola
May 16, 2013 Viola rated it liked it
Part One of review
BP is the rival to Exxon and Shell in globalised disaster capitalism's fossil fool (energy from oil) racket.

Plunder and pollution for a profit a 100+ years on courtesy of the bloody British Empire. Anglo-Persian Oil Company was bailed out in 1914 by the British Government taking a majority shareholding stake pushed by Lord of the Admiralty Churchill.

What the author Bergin fails to give is bigger picture The APO Company and other business interests wanted their trade route secu
Dan Glover
Aug 11, 2012 Dan Glover rated it really liked it
Tom Bergin has written a compelling tale of a company, British Petroleum, who sacrificed the safety of its own people, its stakeholders and the environment for the sake of a robust bottom line. While the thrust of this book, like all stories, can never be purely objective, Bergin certainly was in a position to know the story more fully than anyone else, being the head of Reuters resource and energy sector coverage and personally managing coverage of BP for years. Bergin ultimately tells the tale ...more
Murray
Dec 26, 2014 Murray rated it really liked it
You probably imagine that reading about BP would be rather boring, but this is an excellent read. Well written, eye-opening, and compelling reading. If you've ever heard how the emphasis (obsession even) on short-term profits leads to long-term problems, this books illustrates the ways this actually happens. Because we know how it ends, it's kind of like watching a train wreck about to happen in slow motion.

(I probably would've liked a few diagrams/drawings to illustrate some of the drilling tec
Julian Walker
Aug 24, 2014 Julian Walker rated it it was amazing
Written in a fast-paced, eminently readable style, the author takes us through the whole sorry state of affairs that led up to the disaster from a unique perspective. His real time journalistic involvement gives us an objective insight into the pre- and post-event corporate behaviour.
An engaging read and one for anybody with an interest in real life.
Karen Snyder
Apr 10, 2015 Karen Snyder rated it really liked it
If you're looking for an inside account on the history of BP (even before the big oil spill) and the oil industry as a whole, this is the book. Starling and scary facts as to how business is done. The book is heavily packed with information.
Manka Khanna
Jan 06, 2015 Manka Khanna rated it it was amazing
The author writes well making the book readable and interesting. Language simplicity would appeal to people outside the energy sector as well
Sherri M. Weiler
Sherri M. Weiler rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Lukas Davidson
Lukas Davidson rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Samantha White
Samantha White rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2017
Jeff Price
Jeff Price rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Shashwat Verma
Shashwat Verma rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
ZOZO
ZOZO rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2015
FlashRead
FlashRead rated it liked it
May 09, 2015
Ml
Ml rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Jfs3
Jfs3 rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Malcolm Fenner
Malcolm Fenner rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Stef
Stef rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
cephry
cephry rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Brian Slater
Brian Slater rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
joseph baines
joseph baines rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Duncan
Duncan rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Taylor Kayatta
Taylor Kayatta rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Ross Brown
Ross Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2013
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Stefan Kruse
Stefan Kruse rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013