Start by marking “All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)” as Want to Read:
All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)

All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This volume of the Cambridge Fitzgerald Edition includes the original nine stories selected by Fitzgerald for All the Sad Young Men, together with eleven additional stories, published between 1925 and 1928, which were not collected by Fitzgerald during his lifetime. This edition is based on extensive surviving manuscripts and typescripts. The volume contains a scholarly in ...more
cloth, 504 pages
Published January 29th 2007 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about All the Sad Young Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Sad Young Men

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldTender Is the Night by F. Scott FitzgeraldTales of the Jazz Age by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Love of the Last Tycoon by F. Scott FitzgeraldFlappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald
All About Fitzgerald!!
6th out of 52 books — 6 voters
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerNorwegian Wood by Haruki MurakamiDance With Me by Luanne RiceLet it Bleed by Ian RankinExit Music by Ian Rankin
Book Titles Based on Popular Songs
42nd out of 47 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Simone Subliminalpop
TRE STELLE E MEZZA

L’attenzione dell’autore inizia a spostarsi dai “belli e dannati” agli young men che stanno diventando uomini, che hanno un velo di tristezza, che vedono sfuggir loro il sogno dalle mani come sabbia, che hanno a che fare per la prima volta con i debiti, i figli, le difficoltà del matrimonio.
[…]
… una raccolta che è estremamente unitaria e pensata…
[…]
E la raccolta è un unico libro su una generazione, sui sogni di quella generazione e, per quanto ci riguarda, sulle molte connessio
Alex Sarll
So just like last September, I found myself reading Fitzgerald short stories as summer packed its bags. But whereas then I'd deliberately been putting off Tender, this year I was all ready to finally take its hand, until this fine slim fellow seduced me in the library. The first time I've read any of his work in one of the original selections, rather than a collection curated later, and as such a far better illustration of how patchy he could be; some of the stories here, while fundamentally ske ...more
Taymara Jagmohan
His chapters of being a young man in his realest sense is better than the boys around.

I love how I dealt with Fitz!

To all the sad young men, which involves Mr. Bounce (he knows himself), I'll always remember you by this one.

Such a lovely tale, for the future.

Ela
3.5

'Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.'

Heartbreak, money, loneliness, boredom, deception, violence, frivolity, sexism and disappointment. I didn't particularly like the first two stories (which revolved too much around a rich man or rich woman screwing over other people) but the other stories they grew on me.

'The baby party', 'Absolution', 'Rags Martin-Jones and the Pr-nce of W-les', 'Hot and Cold Blood', "The Sensible Thing" and 'Gretchen's Forty winks' we
Sara
I liked it. This is the second Fitzgerald i've read and as a compilation of novellas it is good but not mind-blowing or anything. He has a very distinct writing style which became a lot more apparent after reading this. I don't know if this is written before or after The Great Gatsby but I felt like this was a pre-written and that it lead on to become that great novel.

It's all about men's success and stuff like that, so there's no female characters really, and it wasn't very keen on women when
Isabelle
If only he wrote the way his briefcase looks

description
Jacques Bromberg
Scotty's original collection of short stories from 1922 is long out of print, but worth borrowing from your local library. A favorite story of mine is "The Baby Party".
Martin
Great short stories, one a day in my lunch break. If you can't get enough of the Great Gatsby these are great bite size chunks for dessert.
Vaishali
The first couple of stories were a bit too plain and didn't reach out as much as the final few stories. Some of my favourites were Rag Martins and the Pr-nce of W-les, The adjuster and Gretchen's forty winks. Not a big fan of some of the male characters though.
Sioned Raybould
I can't even describe how much I adored this collection of short stories. They were simply amazing - that is all I can say. Laced with his later themes and characters, these stories are a nice little dabble into the world of Fitzgerald without reading a whole book. For anyone who wants to pursue reading Fitzgerald I would advise reading these first as they are simply wonderful and are an excellent introduction to his full-length novels.
Rebecca Dunbar
Fitzgerald's best short story collection and the companion to 'The Great Gatsby' - highlights; 'Winter Dreams', 'The Baby Party', 'Gretchen's Forty Winks' - excellent.
Carmen Tudor
Nice collection of Fitzgerald's short works that allows those only familiar with novels like The Great Gatsby to get a better insight into his true literary capabilities.
takeyourtowel
Some of the short stories here were fantastic. Some were a little too moralistic. Some just fizzled a little (not a super fizzle - I don't think he ever wrote anything that was a super fizzle???). That being said, every one was beautifully written and effortlessly crafted. The way Fitzgerald uses language is amazing. Definitely five stars for the writing.
Carol Storm
"He wanted to care, and he could not care. For he had gone away and he could never come back any more. The gates were closed, the sun was down, and there was no beauty left but the gray beauty of steel that withstands all time. Even the grief he could have borne was left behind in the country of youth, of illusion, of the richness of life, where his winter dreams had flourished."

ALL THE SAD YOUNG MEN
Glenn Hopp
A book of short stories. I wanted to read "The Sensible Thing" to work through the so-called Gatsby Cluster of stories, but almost all the stories are very good.
Cliodhna Ni Ghadhra
The man fought during the First World War and continues to write about shallow blondes.

(I finished Gatsby in a corner of Stansted Airport nearly a week ago)
Lydia
Some stories were better than others… my favorites were the first and last in the collection: "The Rich Boy" and "Gretchen's Forty Winks."
Elaine Chen
Sadness of love doesn't change with time. It feels the same way now. And it means Fitzgerald seized the core of love as well as sadness.
Andrew
like the other short stories that i've read by him, these were excellent. i wish i could write half as well as this.
LInda Sheu
Wonderfully written! The way the words were strung together were so beautiful it made my heart ache!
claire
admittedly not his best, but after writing my own short story i have really come to admire clever twists.
Vigdis
Hvem skulle trodd at Fitzgerald kunne være så positiv.
Kkolesnikova18halcyonschool.com
A set of very lively and descriptive short stories.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Giselle Navarro
Giselle Navarro marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Some Sort of Epic Grandeur: The Life of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Collected Writings
  • Midnight in Paris: The Shooting Script
  • Short Stories
  • Selected Poems
  • Gam
  • Cynics
  • Il giovane Holden - Franny e Zooey - Nove racconti - Alzate l'architrave, carpentieri e Seymour, introduzione
  • The Figure in the Carpet
  • Good Bones
  • The Call of the Wild/White Fang/To Build a Fire
  • Green Tea and Other Ghost Stories
  • Juvenilia
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned

“So he tasted the deep pain that is reserved only for the strong, just as he had tasted for a little while the deep happiness.” 192 likes
“He wanted to care, and he could not care. For he had gone away and he could never go back anymore. The gates were closed, the sun was down, and there was no beauty left but the gray beauty of steel that withstands all time. Even the grief he could have borne was left behind in the country of youth, of illusion, of the richness of life, where his winter dreams had flourished.” 13 likes