Start by marking “It's Halloween” as Want to Read:
It's Halloween

It's Halloween

Thirteen Halloween poems for beginning readers.
Published August 1st 1977 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about It's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Halloween

Josiah
Oct 25, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No one writes fun poetry quite like Jack Prelutsky, and his holiday collections are among his most enjoyable. After the otherworldly job Arnold Lobel did illustrating Prelutsky's Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your Sleep, Marylin Hafner had a lot to live up to in It's Halloween, and she performs admirably, stirring the poet's words to compelling visual life. The childhood excitement of the season is palpable in these thirteen poems (I wonder if that number was chosen deliberately) as we explore t ...more
Carolyn
Sep 03, 2010 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Daniel C Burke
Mar 15, 2015 Daniel C Burke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful collection of poetry and drawings on the joys of halloween - some of which I'm afraid have withered in the more modern era but can be a fun nostalgic romp for the 30 somethings.
Kelly Haacke
I chose the book "It's Halloween" By Jack Prelutsky. This book is a collection of children's poems, about Halloween an some of the things associated with the holiday like; carve pumpkins, go trick or treating, haunted houses, bobbing for apples and many more. I gave this book a rating of 4 out of 5 because I thought the language was appropriate for young children because there were simple words and I like the fact that a lot of the poems in the book were rhyming, which helps children remember th ...more
Tara
May 26, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I memorized a poem from this book for a competition in 2nd grade. 23 years later I can still recite it. I loved this book as a child and still do as an adult. My siblings and I all fought over who would get my parents' copy only to find out that my Mom wasn't going to part with it. So, I bought my own. Jack Prelutsky speaks to children in a completely magical (and mystical to adults) way. You will love any of his collections.
Eden
Oct 20, 2011 Eden rated it really liked it
It's Halloween is the work of Jack Prelutsky, a wonderful poet who is an author of many, many amazing poetry books. In this book you will find many enjoy poems about Halloween that is enjoyable for all ages. From poems about Trick or Treaters, marching Skeletons, to a mean couple who will not give treats and a house filled with ten ghosts.

The pictures were nice and fun. The poems were wonderful and this book is definitely a must read for Halloween.
Nancy
Sep 11, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is full of classic Halloween poems. I pull it out every Halloween and my family has most of the poems memorized. I used to have a cassette tape with all of the poems set to music, but I am disappointed because I lost it. I would love to get it again, but haven't been able to track it down. I used this while doing preschool and all the kids loved role playing the poems. Jack Prelutsky is one of my favorite children's poet.
Joel Manuel
Oct 22, 2013 Joel Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite children's Halloween book, and it was actually the very first book I bought, from Scholastic in either kindergarten or first grade (1977 or 1978). It has delightful poems and illustrations, as other reviewers have noted. The very first hardcover edition (1977) has an extra poem, entitled "Trick," in which kids rub chalk on the door of a couple who won't give them treats. This poem is not included in the first softcover edition (also 1977).
Jessi G
Sep 26, 2012 Jessi G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Prelutsky's "It's Halloween is a poetry book, formatted with single illustrated poems. Marylin Hafner's vivid illustrations gave life to the words and poetry of Prelutsky. Children would easily be able to relate to it, as trick-or-treating, costumes, and dressing up are all integrated into the poems. Further, even though there are thirteen poems within this book, it is child-friendly because of the big words and illustrations.
Phuong Dao
Dec 04, 2010 Phuong Dao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: language-art
This book has alot of poem and short stories about Halloween. It is good to use for teaching adjectives. It has alot of words that describe things. It introduces children to poetry which I really enjoy. In one of the poems it talks about how the night of Halloween would be where children dress up in different custom and roaming the street to trick or treat.
Consuelo
"It's Halloween" by Jack Prelutsky is a chapter book. The poems are about a skeleton parade, tricksters, goblins, a black cat, and bobbing for apples, which celebrate Halloween. Each poem is clever and witty which will delight young children.
Kimz Zahour
Jun 30, 2007 Kimz Zahour rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddylit
The cover is torn off, the pages are crinkled... some artwork has been added and it's still one of my family's favorite books. It's a great collection of poems for children. If you can't find it... I could probably recite it for you. ;)
Cera Williams
Oct 22, 2012 Cera Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my FAVORITE books ever!!!!!! I could not remember what it was called or who wrote it, but I finally found it again! I memorized this book and it came with a tape. I am definitely going to buy this again!!!!!!
Shelley
I would've given four stars because I loved reding this as a kid. But it's just another poetry book to me really....but for Halloween. Simple poems.
Sylvia
Sep 24, 2014 Sylvia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-book, owned
Very cute Halloween poems. Kids will love it. I love it.
Kira
Sep 08, 2012 Kira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my favorite halloween books growing up and now passed down to my daughter and has become one of her favorites as well.
Diana S
Some were cute and funny :)
Jerod Duris
Dec 20, 2012 Jerod Duris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my alltime favorites from childhood. It's Baudelaire for kids and promotes vandalism. My favorite is "The Goblin". Great illustrations too.
Rose
Nov 02, 2013 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays
Great poems! (With young children, skip one about doing pranks after not getting candy from a house.)
Maddie
This book is great for Halloween, but I would not read it to my students because Halloween is controversial to some people. I would have it in my classroom however.
Eden Steffey
Loved this book as a kid!
Brooke
Jul 08, 2016 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-kid
very fun halloween poems & pics
Judie
Feb 24, 2013 Judie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this Halloween book, and loved reading it to my kids when they were little. It's great fun!
Amy
Sep 23, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute poems that sum up Halloween.
Shannon
Feb 09, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1987
"Shannon 1987." Halloween always was the best holiday. I miss my grandma's homemade costumes -- they were the BEST.
Rachel
Nov 26, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a kid. I'm so glad I rediscovered it!
Maren Prestegaard
Will love coming back to this one when Maren starts reading. Just funny and fun.
Amy Vaterlaus
This was another of my absolute favorites! I had the cassette tape which I played over and over because I loved the songs and stories! I memorized this book and was super proud of that.
Natali
Aug 12, 2008 Natali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a family favorite. There are poems in there and we all have them memorized fro reading this so much. Jack Prelutsky is great!
Steve
Jun 23, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books I remember first being read, and then reading myself. Still have the battered copy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Dragon's Halloween
  • Halloween Mice!
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Boris and Bella
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Ten Timid Ghosts
  • Trixie The Halloween Fairy (Rainbow Magic)
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...

“There's a goblin as green
As a goblin can be
Who is sitting outside
And is waiting for me.
When he knocked on my door
And said softly, "Come play!"
I answered, "No thank you,