Start by marking “It's Halloween” as Want to Read:
It's Halloween

It's Halloween

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Thirteen Halloween poems for beginning readers.
Published August 1st 1977 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about It's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Halloween

Amy Erives
This was another of my absolute favorites! I had the cassette tape which I played over and over because I loved the songs and stories! I memorized this book and was super proud of that.
Maddie
This book is great for Halloween, but I would not read it to my students because Halloween is controversial to some people. I would have it in my classroom however.
Shelley
I would've given four stars because I loved reding this as a kid. But it's just another poetry book to me really....but for Halloween. Simple poems.
Kelly Benson
This is the first book I bought from scholastic and an all time favorite.
Sylvia
Very cute Halloween poems. Kids will love it. I love it.
Joel Manuel
This is my favorite children's Halloween book, and it was actually the very first book I bought, from Scholastic in either kindergarten or first grade (1977 or 1978). It has delightful poems and illustrations, as other reviewers have noted. The very first hardcover edition (1977) has an extra poem, entitled "Trick," in which kids rub chalk on the door of a couple who won't give them treats. This poem is not included in the first softcover edition (also 1977).
Eden
It's Halloween is the work of Jack Prelutsky, a wonderful poet who is an author of many, many amazing poetry books. In this book you will find many enjoy poems about Halloween that is enjoyable for all ages. From poems about Trick or Treaters, marching Skeletons, to a mean couple who will not give treats and a house filled with ten ghosts.

The pictures were nice and fun. The poems were wonderful and this book is definitely a must read for Halloween.
Nancy
This book is full of classic Halloween poems. I pull it out every Halloween and my family has most of the poems memorized. I used to have a cassette tape with all of the poems set to music, but I am disappointed because I lost it. I would love to get it again, but haven't been able to track it down. I used this while doing preschool and all the kids loved role playing the poems. Jack Prelutsky is one of my favorite children's poet.
Jessi G
Jack Prelutsky's "It's Halloween is a poetry book, formatted with single illustrated poems. Marylin Hafner's vivid illustrations gave life to the words and poetry of Prelutsky. Children would easily be able to relate to it, as trick-or-treating, costumes, and dressing up are all integrated into the poems. Further, even though there are thirteen poems within this book, it is child-friendly because of the big words and illustrations.
Tara
I memorized a poem from this book for a competition in 2nd grade. 23 years later I can still recite it. I loved this book as a child and still do as an adult. My siblings and I all fought over who would get my parents' copy only to find out that my Mom wasn't going to part with it. So, I bought my own. Jack Prelutsky speaks to children in a completely magical (and mystical to adults) way. You will love any of his collections.
Phuong Dao
This book has alot of poem and short stories about Halloween. It is good to use for teaching adjectives. It has alot of words that describe things. It introduces children to poetry which I really enjoy. In one of the poems it talks about how the night of Halloween would be where children dress up in different custom and roaming the street to trick or treat.
Consuelo
"It's Halloween" by Jack Prelutsky is a chapter book. The poems are about a skeleton parade, tricksters, goblins, a black cat, and bobbing for apples, which celebrate Halloween. Each poem is clever and witty which will delight young children.
Kimz Zahour
The cover is torn off, the pages are crinkled... some artwork has been added and it's still one of my family's favorite books. It's a great collection of poems for children. If you can't find it... I could probably recite it for you. ;)
Cera Williams
This is one of my FAVORITE books ever!!!!!! I could not remember what it was called or who wrote it, but I finally found it again! I memorized this book and it came with a tape. I am definitely going to buy this again!!!!!!
A fun collection of poems all about Halloween. I first read this as a kid, and in fact still have my original copy. I now enjoy reading it aloud to my own children as well as my class.
Tyera
it took me forever to re-find this book! somehow we lost the copy i remember as a child.

the illustrations and speech bubbles doubly enhance the poems.
Jerod Duris
One of my alltime favorites from childhood. It's Baudelaire for kids and promotes vandalism. My favorite is "The Goblin". Great illustrations too.
Natali
This is definitely a family favorite. There are poems in there and we all have them memorized fro reading this so much. Jack Prelutsky is great!
Kira
one of my favorite halloween books growing up and now passed down to my daughter and has become one of her favorites as well.
Shannon
"Shannon 1987." Halloween always was the best holiday. I miss my grandma's homemade costumes -- they were the BEST.
Rose
Great poems! (With young children, skip one about doing pranks after not getting candy from a house.)
Steve
One of the first books I remember first being read, and then reading myself. Still have the battered copy.
Judie
I love this Halloween book, and loved reading it to my kids when they were little. It's great fun!
Maren Prestegaard
Will love coming back to this one when Maren starts reading. Just funny and fun.
Amy
Cute poems that sum up Halloween.
Sen20
Carter
Carter added it
Nov 29, 2014
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
  • The Vanishing Pumpkin
  • Too Many Pumpkins
  • Ten Timid Ghosts
  • Vunce Upon a Time
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • Goodnight Goon: A Petrifying Parody
  • Pumpkin Jack
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Zen Ghosts
  • The Nutcracker
20775
Jack Prelutsky is an American poet. He attended New York public schools, and later the High School of Music and Art and Hunter College. Prelutsky, who has also worked as a busboy, furniture mover, folk singer, and cab driver, claims that he hated poetry in grade school because of the way it was taught. He is the author of more than 30 poetry collections including Nightmares: Poems to Trouble Your ...more
More about Jack Prelutsky...
The New Kid on the Block Hooray For Diffendoofer Day! (Dr Seuss) A Pizza the Size of the Sun Something Big Has Been Here The Random House Book of Poetry for Children