Happy New Year! and Other Stories

Happy New Year! and Other Stories

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Original compilation of 11 stories by a master storyteller brilliantly captures the joy, drudgery, trials and tribulations of Jewish life. Includes "Geese," "At the Doctor's," "Three Widows," "The Passover Eve Vagabonds," "On America," "The Ruined Passover," and5 others. A delight for devotees of Aleichem and anyone interested in Jewish cultural life.
Published October 3rd 2000 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Happy New Year! and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy New Year! and Other Stories

Matt
Sholom Aleichem is one of my favorite satirists of all time. It still pleases me to think of the story about his arrival in the USA, where he was introduced to Mark Twain, who greeted him by saying "How do you do, I'm told that I am the American Sholom Aleichem." The similarities between the two are striking.

Anything written by Sholom Aleichem is marvelous, and I hope to read everything one can without being fluent in Yiddish, but this was by far the most disappointing collection I've read. The...more
David
Wonderful stories from the Yiddish. Stoies with Jewish humor, particular view of life and living. But I must admit that I love the writing of Shalom Aleichem. Be sure to read "Geese" and On America.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Tasia
Tasia marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Annie Schiff
Annie Schiff marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2010
lizzie
lizzie added it
Sep 24, 2007
Jewish writer, Sholem Rabinovich (1859-1916), who wrote under the pen name of Sholem Aleichem (Hebrew for "peace be upon you").

From 1883 on, Sholem Aleichem produced over forty volumes in Yiddish, thereby becoming a central figure in Yiddish literature by 1890.

Sholem Aleichem's narratives were notable for the naturalness of his characters' speech and the accuracy of his descriptions of shtetl lif...more
More about Sholem Aleichem...
Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories Tevye's Daughters: Collected Stories of Sholom Aleichem Wandering Stars Tevye the Dairyman & Motl the Cantor's Son Adventures of Mottel the Cantor's Son