Start by marking “Happy New Year! and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Happy New Year! and Other Stories

Happy New Year! and Other Stories

One of the most beloved and prolific writers of Yiddish literature, Sholom Aleichem (1859–1916) produced a wealth of wonderful stories that combine traditional Jewish oral humor with Western literary tradition. For years a living legend, he wrote enduring gems of fiction, eleven of which are included in this entertaining collection.
The master storyteller brilliantly recapt
Published November 18th 2000 by Dover Publications (first published October 3rd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Happy New Year! and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy New Year! and Other Stories

Matt
Aug 13, 2007 Matt rated it liked it
Sholom Aleichem is one of my favorite satirists of all time. It still pleases me to think of the story about his arrival in the USA, where he was introduced to Mark Twain, who greeted him by saying "How do you do, I'm told that I am the American Sholom Aleichem." The similarities between the two are striking.

Anything written by Sholom Aleichem is marvelous, and I hope to read everything one can without being fluent in Yiddish, but this was by far the most disappointing collection I've read. The
David
Nov 29, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Wonderful stories from the Yiddish. Stoies with Jewish humor, particular view of life and living. But I must admit that I love the writing of Shalom Aleichem. Be sure to read "Geese" and On America.
Tasia
Jun 03, 2014 Tasia rated it liked it
I'm convinced that, had I a better understanding of Jewish humor and custom, this would have been funnier. Regardless, they're very clever, entertaining short stories!
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2010
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2008
Jennifer rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2009
donny
donny rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Jagadish
Jagadish rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Boris
Boris rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2008
Darlene Campos
Darlene Campos rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2017
Inna
Inna rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2010
Jaedyn
Jaedyn rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
lizzie
lizzie added it
Sep 24, 2007
Annie Schiff
Annie Schiff marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2010
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Gavin
Gavin marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Joel Argo
Joel Argo marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2016
Dina
Dina is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2017
Jewish writer, Sholem Rabinovich (1859-1916), who wrote under the pen name of Sholem Aleichem (שלום עליכם, Hebrew for "peace be upon you").

From 1883 on, Sholem Aleichem produced over forty volumes in Yiddish, thereby becoming a central figure in Yiddish literature by 1890.

Sholem Aleichem's narratives were notable for the naturalness of his characters' speech and the accuracy of his descriptions o
More about Sholem Aleichem...