Start by marking “Inside National Health Reform” as Want to Read:
Inside National Health Reform

Inside National Health Reform

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This indispensable guide to the Affordable Care Act, our new national health care law, lends an insider’s deep understanding of policy to a lively and absorbing account of the extraordinary—and extraordinarily ambitious—legislative effort to reform the nation’s health care system. Dr. John E. McDonough, DPH, a health policy expert who served as an advisor to the late Senat ...more
Published September 12th 2011 by University of California Press (first published August 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Inside National Health Reform, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside National Health Reform

Shon
UPDATE: Have now completed the entire book. Still retains 4 star rating for me. McDonough does more than just paraphrase a 2000+ page bill. Indeed, he frames the significance of this legislation, citing it as not a once-in-a-generation act, but more of a "once-in-every-other or once-in-every-third" generation kind of bill. And after reading, in detail, what impact each title will make, I tend to agree. Further, he aptly points out the many bipartisan aspects of the act, and tells, at times, rive ...more
Jim
This book was highly recommended to me by someone in the health policy business. She needed it back relatively quickly to get it signed by the author, who is her close personal friend. Add to this the fact that the author states on the cover and in the book, more than once, that he is "biased," and you have full disclosure now on any "bias" I might appear to have in rating this book.

That said, I found the book to be highly informative, although it appears to have been rushed, since there are man
Susan
It is what it is advertised to be: an introduction to the ACA and the political context around it, how and why its sections came about, and where all the media turmoil fits into the larger act.

I read it to be able to think and talk intelligently about the law amidst the flurry of debate and objection against it, and it is the best and most comprehensive source I have found for doing that.

I appreciated how the author talked about what the effect of the law might be, where the challenges in imple
Max
Perfect summary of the ACA for an intermediate knowledge level. This book is an overview of U.S. health reform, with just enough narrative on the political process to make it interesting, and enough policy to make it substantive and informative. Definitely read this at the right moment. Had I read it eight months ago, it would have been over my head. McDonough is a policy expert and high-ranking Hill staffer, and he's able to provide in-depth knowledge of both the policy considerations and the p ...more
Ericka Labedz
Love it or hate it, the Affordable Care Act is a very significant piece of legislation affecting health care in the US. The first half of the book gives a very interesting and detailed account of how the legislation was formed and ultimately passed. The second half gives a fairly detailed explanation of each section of the ACA. I feel like I have a much better understanding of the good, the bad and the ugly of the legislation. I highly recommend it to anyone who works in our health care system o ...more
Morgen Shambaugh
This was a very informative book about the changing healthcare landscape in America. The first two sections of the book go into a lot of unnecessary detail, but the third section, which outlines the major parts of Obamacare, is extremely helpful. This book will really help you understand the future of the U.S. healthcare system.
Beth Haynes
Written by a liberal, but in general is a pretty even handed account of the ACA. Good introduction if you want to knw what is in the law and a bit of the politics involved in passing it. Of course the really underhanded stuff has been left out.
yaman
Great background and resource for the topic.May be a bit dense for some. But an interesting account of one of the most historic legislation in our nation's recent history.
Sandylutz
Good, not great. I thought it would be more like David Broder's The System. Very partisan, but I guess that was to be expected.
Angi
plan to re-read the second half again. Until then...
Jack
A fabulous overview of both substance and process.
Rob
Rob is currently reading it
Dec 14, 2014
Jasmine Wang
Jasmine Wang is currently reading it
Dec 04, 2014
Agus
Agus added it
Dec 04, 2014
Marcie Longo
Marcie Longo marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Hannah
Hannah is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2014
Vincent La
Vincent La marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Izabella Te
Izabella Te marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Experiencing Politics: A Legislator's Stories of Government and Health Care Interests, Ideas, and Deregulation: The Fate of Hospital Rate Setting