Start by marking “The Story of India: An Epic Journey Across the Subcontinent” as Want to Read:
The Story of India: An Epic Journey Across the Subcontinent

The Story of India: An Epic Journey Across the Subcontinent

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  272 ratings  ·  30 reviews

A companion to the major six-part BBC TV series, written by Michael Wood and read by Sam Dastor. Michael Wood weaves a spellbinding narrative out of the 10,000-year history of India. Home today to more than a fifth of the world’s population, the subcontinent gave birth to the oldest and most influential civilization on Earth, to four world religions, and to the world’s lar

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published December 4th 2007 by AudioGO (first published September 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of India

Jay Bostwick
Wood struck a good balance here between sufficiency and brevity, which is a very difficult mark to hit when it comes to such an expansive history as India has. I would even say that for a casual exploration of India's history, this is probably your best choice.

The audiobook was especially enjoyable. Sam Dastor, the narrator, has a theatrical streak and actually mimics the voice and accent of those quoted (including Indians, Americans, and English voices). This struck me as a bit silly at first,
Alan Bartlett
I've been a fan of Michael Wood ever since his first TV history In Search of the Dark Ages back in the late 70s (where has the time gone?!). I've also become increasingly interested in India over the last few years after two recent visits to that incresible country. This book is more of a snapshot of the history of India focusing on the key periods in its history and also a part travelogue. Wood's love of India shines through this book and it is a good easy introduction to the history of India. ...more
David Stuart Ryan

I am always impressed by the intuitive grasp Michael Wood shows of his historical subjects, and being both an historian and chronicler of India myself, I was fascinated to see his take on the country. Not least his future projections for how the subcontinent will become an intellectual powerhouse for the approaching computer age, the Indian nation is already the second most productive software producer in the world after the USA.

I have to go along with Michael Wood's interpretation of the trip o
Ross
A gorgeous, insightful, but unsatisfying, survey of Indian prehistory and history. The book's plan roughly correlates with its excellent BBC companion series, The Story of India. But this is not a book for beginners.

The author, British historian Michael Wood, assumes that the reader already has an decent understanding of the subcontinents' geography, languages, history, and culture. (An assumption that is undoubtedly more justified in the U.K. than in the the U.S., given England's colonial conne
Dilpreet Singh
It a great work, which makes the reader (or listener) well acquainted with the history, culture & the political situation of India both in the past as well as the present.

The author has subtly intertwined the past as well as the present of India with perfection. It takes us on a journey called INDIA, painting the canvas with its rich history & enlightening the reader with the diverse aspects of the nation and finally closing the masterpiece with the present.

The author has undertaken the
Matthew Stanfill
Its a nice quick overview of the history of India... Its nothing too deep but its entertaining if you know nada of India.
Don O'goodreader
I'm planning a trip to India. This book turned out to not be what I was looking for. India is Michael Wood's travelogue where he reminisces about his extensive visits to the subcontinent, but his desire to be a historian overwhelms the narrative with long historical digressions ... heavy on adjectives and short on details.

"It is a long and tortured story, full of splendors and miseries, of pride and greed, and of fantastic cultural crossovers..."

I expect there are better travelogues and better
Arvind
3.5/5. Fascinating first 2 sections on pre-historic and ancient India. Loved the section on Mughal India too.
Susan
I only wish that every time I opened the book, the gorgeous and mesmerizing documentary series sprang to life in my hands. Is it fair to subtract a star because the book isn't quite as compelling as the TV series? Of course not. But still.
John
I have admired the work of Michael Wood for some years now and this book clearly shows that this admiration was no folly on my part.

The Story of India is a rich, sumptuous and delighful travelogue through the history and culture of a truly great nation.

The book abounds with delighful images - striking, not only in thier honesty and clarity - but also in the vibrancy of their colour.

It is not often that you can feel proud to own a book, or have read a book - I am both with this.
Miik
Meh. I didn't realize it was just a companion book to the pbs documentary miniseries.
Gill
This is a pretty good introduction to the long and often complicated history of India, especially if you also watch the BBC series. However what really annoyed me about the book was that it had only one map, which obviously had been included without any regard for places mentioned in the book, because a lot of the important sites such as Mathura, Ayodhya and Tanjore weren't on it. That's just not good enough! Bad, Michael!
Neale Aslett
Reading it now, an amazing history, and a story applicable to all of Mankind.
Vikas Lather
I am not very impressed by this book. I feel that somehow, Wood did not make honest attempt to reflect Indian history; I felt that he was stuck with the idea of appeasement to religious sentiments. I don't like non fiction books that do not follow trajectory of factual accuracy.
Sheil
Had to stop listening to this one early. The book's focus is on ancient India, which is not what I was expecting going into it. I was hoping to learn more about Gandhi and the Indian Revolution. Instead I'm learning about archaeology - a subject I don't find particularly interesting.
Vicky
The Story of India goes far back into the history of ancient times, old civilization and the beginning of some world religions. It is a complex book with many details brought to light from the ancient texts, traditions and years of archaeological researches.
Mosselyn
I didn't care that much for the author's style, which frequently meanders between the actual history and his personal travelogue. Nothing wrong with it, it just didn't appeal to me. I would rather have just had the history without the "personal touches".
Nilesh
Informative even if too short for its scope. At times, the book is too oriented towards its main conclusions and not critical enough. On the whole, a good book for most of us Indians too for a genuine view on history
Jim
This book demonstrates the limitations of the audiobook format. Interesting book, but very hard to follow all of the Indian names and without a map to refer to, I was lost. Get the print version.
Roz
Amazing history of India presented in a wonderful, personal, travel-diary type format. The BBC video production, available on YOUTUBE, is superb also.
Sunil
Easy read, good primer to South Asian History. Better done with the eponymous BBC documentary. Skip if acquainted with the subject.
Lois
A tremendous book - Michael at his best; he interweaves his own quest for the past with the facts of long lost civilizations
Meenakshi Sundaram
I have seen the BBC documentary series a few years back loved it. Thought would read the books too and see how they are.

Sham Al-Ghazali
Yeah. Something unappealing about reading the history of a country from an orientalist point of view. Never again.
Monica
Jan 06, 2009 Monica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list
You can get the book and DVD at a discount from PBS and make a tax deductible donation at the same time/ $59.00
Syam Ahmedarino
This is a great book. It covers the whole Indian History in the simplest way to be digested. Awesome!
Sonia
great insight on India..enjoyed the book.. am gona watch the TV series now..
Souri Misra
Michael Wood just dazzles in presenting facts! Loved it
Anshuman
Wonderful book. Covers almost the entire history of India.
Lizanne Whitlow
Highly recommend this author!
  • The Dragon in the Land of Snows: A History of Modern Tibet Since 1947
  • Civilisation
  • Where China Meets India: Burma and the New Crossroads of Asia
  • Himalaya
  • The Mughal Throne: The Saga of India's Great Emperors
  • On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Consequences of American Conquest & Carnage
  • Bandits
Librarian Note: There's more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael David Wood is an English historian & broadcaster. He's presented numerous tv documentary series. Library of Congress lists him as Michael Wood.

Wood was born in Moston, Manchester, & educated at Manchester Grammar School & Oriel College, Oxford. His specia
More about Michael Wood...
In Search of the Dark Ages Shakespeare In Search of the Trojan War In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great: A Journey from Greece to Asia Conquistadors