Start by marking “Surrender to a Wicked Spy” as Want to Read:
Surrender to a Wicked Spy

Surrender to a Wicked Spy (Royal Four #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,020 ratings  ·  50 reviews
They are known simply as The Royal Four--but there's nothing simple about the elite band of spies who serve the King in secrecy. Their missions are dangerous, their love lives are scandalous…and each man in the Royal Four has his own secrets. This is the story of the spy known as The Lion

SURRENDER TO A WICKED SPYOlivia Calwell's new husband, Dane, is everything she could
Published October 4th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Surrender to a Wicked Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender to a Wicked Spy

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This is one of those books that instills a good feeling in the reader throughout the reading, and once the last word has been read. I was cheering for Dane and Olivia to consummate their marriage, and I was laughing and rather surprised in a good way at the reasons for Dane's virginity. I liked that Olivia was the one pursuing in this book, instead of Dane. This book was fun and exciting to read. It has some rather nontraditional sensuality elements for a mainstream, non-erotic historical romanc ...more
TJ
If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely love Ms. Bradley's writing style (it is always fun, witty and totally endearing,) that star would have been single. This book is the 2nd in a series of 4, I read the first and absolutely loved it so I bought the rest. After reading this one, I worry I may have made a big mistake. This installment hit two of my biggest hate buttons, not only hit them but wrapped them up royally.

Number one: Sex as the ONLY part of a relationship. In this book, Dane meet
Mojca
After ending up in the Thames, thanks to her meddling mother, Olivia is rescued by a Viking god a.k.a. Dane Calwell, Lord Greenleigh... Well, in the end she is the one doing the rescue.

Two weeks later, the two are wed.

Olivia, despite the fact she knows absolutely nothing about her husband, ends up falling head over heels in love. But it will take much more for her husband to follow her lead. Much, much more.

Dane Calwell, known to his fellow spies as The Lion, is quite content with his choice for
RomReader
Tall heroine is miffed that her brand-new husband didn’t court her let alone see her after their only meeting. Hero believes heroine with her average looks & good pedigree won’t distract him from his spying endeavors unlike his father. But she is more than what he expected and she isn’t shy about letting him know it. He is even surprised that his big problem isn’t scaring her away but instead is a welcome challenge for her.

-------------SOME SPOILERS: Don’t read if you don’t want to know the
The UHQ Nasanta
From the moment I read the very first paragraph, I knew that I would like this book. There was humor, a strong and likable heroine (who was not drop-dead-gorgeous to boot!), an equally strong and tortured hero (who unfortunately? was gorgeous - and an utter fool), and secondary characters I wanted to get to know better (such as Marcus).

What I liked best about this book would probably be the heroine. For once, I felt as if I got a heroine who was not particularly skilled at anything, and yet was
Fani
This one had more romance and less espionage plot than any other I've read in the Royal Four or Liar's Club series. Though it was great up to a point, in the end Dane proved a greater ass than I thought him to be and I needed him to crowl for a hundred miles or more in his knees before I could forgive him completely, which he didn't so I'm not feeling very warm towards him. Olivia on the other hand was one of Bradley's best heroines and that says a lot, when most of them are so likable to begin ...more
Elis Madison
Olivia Caldwell is out with her mother on a cold, wintry day, wearing a flimsy muslin gown (because mummy said to), standing on an icy bridge over the frigid Thames for, like, hours, waiting for God knows what, until her mum spots this giant, golden Viking and springs to action.

Fortunately, Olivia can swim. Unfortunately, Dane, Lord Greenleigh (said Viking) can’t—not with his feet stuck in the mud. Livvie has to swim back and rescue him.

Turns out Dane is looking for a bride. A certain kind of b
Sonia
I just finished this book and overall I enjoyed it. It was funny and sweet, but I do agree that unlike some of the previous novels, it hardly mentioned the problem of the Chimera. I found Dane's problem quite funny because I've never encountered a hero in a romance that suffered with that affliction, and Olivia was sweet because she always tried to understand Dane. I was expecting that at one point in the book Dane would tell Olivia he was a spy, but unless I missed it, he never said anything. D ...more
Lea Bourg'
Ahhh I regret to announce that this is the worst book in this series I have read so far ...
Although Olivia had become Lady Greenleigh a little too quickly for her own taste, she did everything possible to adapt to her new life, even though her husband is far from cooperative. But between her small misstep, her big blunders and her husband both boiling hot and so cold, Olivia ignores that the danger lurks closer than she thinks ...
The plot is still good with the Chimera and his machinations but t
Cruth
"'Do you like this, sweet Olivia, this obedience to me in our bed play? Does it arouse you to be mastered?'" p.100, loc.1368

Author: Celeste Bradley
First published: 2005
Length: 358 pages, 4927 locations
Setting: England, 1813.
Sex: explicit, frequent, toys, actual consummation late in the game.
Heroine: tall and buxom.
Series: Book 2 of "The Royal Four". Linked to previous series "The Liar's Club".

"Courageous as the Lion
Deadly as the Cobra
Vigilant as the Falcon
Clever as the Fox
" loc.4851

After a reall
Jacqueline
Jan 28, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
Recommended to Jacqueline by: amazon lists
This book was pretty lame. The french spy plot was pretty cheesy and non compelling. The idea that the hero couldn't even get a prostitute to do him because of his size is pretty ludicrous and the whole thing with the fake phalluses was neither good love scenes nor good women's erotica. Messy unexplained motivations all around and gratuitous humilitation for the heroine. Try Patricia Veryan for much better historical spy series stuff in the romance genre.
Kym
I really enjoyed this book. It was not as good as the first one but it was still wonderful. I found Dane's "problem" hilarious. I love how the author gives the hero or heroine some kind of fault per say. It is even better that this fault turns out to make for some funny moments.
~Sara~
I love Celeste Bradley but this book was not that good. I loved the way the characters meet and marry early in the book. The rescue, especially the crazy mother's part, was pretty funny. There were several other humourous parts and it was much steamier then her books usually are, but the quality of the sex scenes were not good. The main problem I had with this book was the hero.

***Spoilers***

Dane is a virgin because even prostitutes are frightened by his penis size. Come on!!! If Ron Jeremy can
Shannon A. Hiner
(I'll try to avoid spoilers, but reader beware)

Between the Liar's Club series and Royal Four series there have been some good books, some just okay books and some GREAT books. Unfortunately, this is one of the ones that is just okay. You'll need to read it to keep up with the Chimera plot line, but don't expect it to knock you off the couch.

The read didn't take long for me, but I really didn't feel invested in the characters or the plot. I was wincing painfully in nearly every scene that Olivia
Sara ♥
I really like Celeste Bradley's writing style—it's fun and witty and all that... but this book was NOT as good as the last one. If the book had been more along the lines of the description on the back cover, I think it would have been much better. Yeah, Olivia is a LITTLE sleuthy... and I do mean a VERY VERY VERY little, but she was NOT terribly curious or questioning or meddlesome at all! She overheard the last line of ONE secret spy conversation, but that was IT.

The MAJORITY (98% of the book)
Estefi Passadore
Ok,generally, I love celeste bradley's books, but this one was just a little bit ridiculous. The thing with dane's um excessive... let's call it... ability... and how they dealt with was amusing to say the least. Also, he was just too untrusting and unhelpful. I did not like this book half as much as any of the others.
Kat
Dane's "problem" was totally ridiculous; however, some of the book was hysterical. I loved Dane and Olivia together. Very hot. I want to read the rest of the series!
Tressa
Surrender to a Wicked Spy is the second book in The Royal Four quartet. The main characters are Olivia Cheltenham and Dane Calwell. I liked both characters quite a bit. Dane has a physical "issue" that concerns him, but Olivia is quite enthusiastic in helping him with his "affliction." I thought that those scenes were funny. There was an early aspect that felt quite contrived, but it was explained plausibly, in my opinion, in the latter half of the book. There was a secondary plot, but it wasn't ...more
Beno
This book in the series gets less stars cause Dane is an ass. but other than that it was a terrifyingly good read.
Maggie Shanley
Funny and naughty story with a slightly weak plot line. A poor but noble girl is chosen to wed the oversized spy for the English crown.
M.
I'm pretty sure this hero just pissed me off.
Karen Wilson
Really liked the beginning with the bovine in the mud bit.

The rest was pretty outrageous and lighthearted and sadly, forgettable. There was too much going on in such a short space of time to really give cohesiveness to the story and characters. Almost everything happened within 11 days.

Lots of potential and possibilities but overall it became weak because of them.

Olivia is a sweet and strong heroine. I would have liked to hear more about Mrs. B. Maybe this is meant to be read along with the oth
Starcatcher

I do like Celeste Bradley's work, which gives this book a star our of zero. This book has a simple plot, which you can easily guess. That doesn't make me like it less. But when sex dominates the hero and heroine characters and lead their lives, I start to hate it. And I hate it more when he treats her like a piece of trash. And she accepts it by calling it a kind of faith. I believe this can be far better developed to an erotic novel, which love is less expected and the book then can offer more
penelopewanders
Second in the series, fun holiday fare.
Lauri
So far out of all the Liar's Clun and the Royal Four series, this book did contain the most explicit scenes of sex. A bit disappointing on a few levels, but still an enjoyable read. It just lacked a little content. I am still trying to figure out what the true story was about. The plot just seemed to get lost in this book. Sorry Celeste, but not the best in te series. I hope the next book is back to the original formula.
Ane
I'm torn between a four or a five... only because I'm two books into the series, and I feel like I'm missing some background stories since I haven't read The Liars Club series yet.

But ultimately gave it a five stars because I teared at the angst scene. I haven't had that in a while with the other stuff I've been reading. And I like the heroine!
Sopha
Light, adorable and funny, this book was one I enjoyed immensely. I don't have much to complain, besides the fact that I would have liked more scenes between Dane and Olivia after the rescue from the Chimera and the fact that she forgave him way too easily. Is there even a book where the heroine makes the hero grovel at her feet, nowadays?
Out of all of the books/series I think this is funniest. Meddling mother, unaware brides, husbands with doubts. Olivia is really refreshing the marriage between Dane n her isn't a love match like the other to start with then theirs the training which when they lost the tools for I was lol. Loved the story, loved the action. Great HEA.
Kit
Boy was this an unusual book (perhaps odd might be more appropriate). The whole sub plot was that Dane was simply a monstrosity of maleness that was the bane of his existence. I chuckled as I read it.
Perhaps in spite of that(maybe because of...) I found this story compelling enough to stay up late to read it.
  • Sins of a Ruthless Rogue (Sinners Trio, #2)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • A Matter of Temptation (Lost Lords, #2)
  • My Forever Love
  • To Wed a Wicked Prince (Cavendish Square, #2)
  • The Spy Wore Silk
  • What a Gentleman Desires (Redgrave #3)
  • Pleasure Me
  • To Pleasure a Prince (Royal Brotherhood, #2)
  • Midnight Eyes
  • Touched by Fire
  • When Dashing Met Danger (Spies, #1)
  • The Tender Texan
  • Challenge to Honor (Masters at Arms #1)
  • The Panther & the Pyramid (Khamsin Egyptian #4)
  • Masquerading the Marquess (Lords of Intrigue, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
  • Ravishing in Red (The Rarest Blooms, #1)
Celeste Bradley is the author of Fallen, which was nominated for a RITA in 2002, and The Pretender, the first book in the Liars series. According to Bradley, the best thing about writing is that she finally gets to use the brain full of trivia she's collected over a lifetime of living in eight states, residing in over twenty homes, and changing her major five times. "It was research for my writing ...more
More about Celeste Bradley...

Royal Four (4 books)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • Seducing the Spy (Royal Four, #4)
The Pretender (Liar's Club, #1) To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1) Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3) Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1) The Spy (Liar's Club #3)

“We ought to talk. Had four words ever put more fear into the heart of men around the world? He’d not heard them before himself, but ancient gender memory recognized them well. He was in for it now.” 2 likes
“Four spies, a monosyllabic earl, an annoying heiress, an obnoxious young sot, two very pleasing ladies—although Olivia had scarcely spoken this evening—and the mother from hell.” 1 likes