Start by marking “River of Shadows” as Want to Read:
River of Shadows

River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  814 ratings  ·  66 reviews
The latest novel in Robert V.S. Redick's fantasy epic is a taut race against time that takes the Chathrand across the seas in a desperate bid to stop the sorcerer Arunis unleashing the Swarm of Night.
Published March 1st 2012 by Gollancz (first published December 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about River of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River of Shadows

Jason
3.5 Stars

Let me start off that I highly recommend this incredibly fun fantasy that is both imaginative and beautiful to behold. I love the way that Redick as an Author has matured through out these long novels. The cast is large, likable, and well developed after nearly 2000 pages of writing. There are numerous bad ass antagonists and a deep plot that unfolds over the course.

This book unfortunately, is the weakest of the series, even though it is probably the best written. I loved the clever cha
Algernon
more like a [9/10] but I find it easy to add half a star when I really enjoy the ride. The third Chathrand Voyage has confirmed the good impression from the first two books. I was a little worried that it will suffer from middle of the series syndrome, but Pazel, Tasha and their friends remain quite interesting characters: talented without being overpowered battle machines, smart but not infallible, prone to despair but open to friendship and love.
Beside great characters the other appeal of the
Nathan
The cast and crew on the Chathrand continue their adventures in the great southern hemisphere empire of Bali Adro, home of the dlomic non-humans. It is a period of fear and war in the empire, and foes old and new seek to gain access to the secrets the humans and ixchel have brought with them.

It was only in this volume that I realised that the entire series is a children's adventure tale written for adults. Yes, most of the central protagonists are teenagers, but it is not a YA book. Yes, it has
Liviu
I finished The River of Shadows and it just blew me away and I have a hard time seeing anything else this crazily entertaining in 2011; the 3 books: Red Wolf Conspiracy, Rats and the Ruling Sea and The River of Shadows just hang together perfectly and tightly with all the twists and turns you want.

The last book The Night of the Swarm hopefully will put the exclamation mark on this superbly entertaining series, but you can read these 3 for a complete experience.

Exuberant, crazy, inventiveness, g
Kiel Van Horn
This book was better than the previous novel in the quartet, but I'm not sure it was as good as the first. It worked in a lot more of the interesting history of the south, introducing an entire new race of characters.

The magic bones of the dragon-like things that I can't remember how to spell (egraungs?) was a neat idea, and played out interestingly. I wish it could have been developed a little more dramatically, though. We kind of were dropped in at the end of this unique period of history whe
Nigel
Robert VS Riddick River Of Shadows. The Charthrand finally reaches the south only to find, well, all manner of horrible things. This is the third book in a fun, well written series that combines an epic scale with lots of pacey adventure and excitement and twists and setbacks and peril and darkest hours for our heroes. Seeing as we're obsessively comparing everything to Martin (I DO SWEAR THESE CORNFLAKES ARE FIT FOR A KING'S LANDING WEDDING FEAST), then the young age of the book's main protagon ...more
Trey
Overall I really liked this book. After the first two books I was wavering on recommending the series to friends. I enjoyed them, but it wasn't a must read. I think after this third book I will finally recommend it.

The whole series is a very large adventure with lots of places, people, and different species. It really does feel more like an adventure than a fantasy novel.

I would have given 5 stars, but I felt like the end was an info dump to close all the loose ends.

I will definitely read the
LizetteMonet
Was this book predictable?
A bit.
Did all the missing pieces click into place, the misunderstandings, the questions, the hidden glances, and strange occurrences finally make sense?
Mostly.

I was a bit disappointed with the ending. It felt like such an empty, hastily thrown together type of closure. Though I enjoyed the journey (for the most part) that ending just soured my taste for this book. It was like the author had set down his pen smack dab in the middle of the story.
I understand that a 4th bo
edifanob
Another excellent book in The Chathrand Voyages series. Robert V.S. Redick spins an inimitable net of intrigues, relationships, history connected by loveable characters. But be aware. You need to read carefully in order not to miss any detail. Like the books before it has a climax on its own. Now I have high expectations for the last book in the series.

Matthew Brown
Fantastic. The Chathrand Voyage series is one of my favorite all-time series (along with Rothfuss' Kingkiller series and Weeks' Night Angel series...both fantastic as well). This book is no exception. I look forward to lots more of Redick's work.
Matt
Part Three of The Chathrand Voyage series is just as good as the first two. Redick has crafted a world unique, unlike any others. Characters you care about, magical lands. It's a dense book, not an easy read, but worth the effort.
Kess Broekman-dattner
It's been about 6 weeks since I finished this, and the details, characters and plot have already begun fading from memory.

I read the first instalment some years ago and absolutely loved it. The sweeping adventures on the high seas, the world building, Pazel's gift and curse, the shady dealings and multiple agendas — all bound within the ancient timbers of the Chathrand — were a thrill to read. Novel, exciting, swashbuckling fantasy with characters you felt you already knew, nuanced in ways that
Nadja
Thus far, I think I would call this the weakest installment of the three I've read, but I still thoroughly enjoy the series (and am hoping for a grand finale). There were a few odd character moments throughout, and while Reddick does eventually let the reader in on the reasoning, I feel like I spent a lot of time wondering if he'd suddenly become a hack because I couldn't understand why Thasha distanced herself from the rest of the crew. It could be that I missed a few clues along the way, but I ...more
D.w.
Book three, which when we first saw this trilogy was supposed to be the end. Shame that it is not. The world and the fantasy as it developed in Red Wolf (book one) showed a very complex structure and a great deal going on. The backstory alone seemed very fascinating. Our hero is thrown on the very ship where his betrayer is, where his nemesis is, and so much more.

A great premise, and then the worst evil imaginable is also resident as well as lovable characters too. The author then tried to expa
Ronald
***Some Spoilers***

The third book in Redick's series, The River of Shadows, takes us further into the South and into new lands. We've crossed The Ruling Sea and now we have some very interesting issues to deal with. In fact, there's a lot more action in this book than the others - things begin to move forward, plots unravel, and Pazel becomes dumb and useless.

I'm not certain what happened in this novel. Previously, in book 1 and book 2, Pazel was always the thinker, using his brain before anythi
Taylor P. Davidson
The River of Shadows, Robert V.S. Redick

The Chathrand, the greatest ship of the Aquarli Empire, has finally crossed the Ruling Sea – being the first to do so in hundreds of years. Its crew had envisioned welcome; help from a people that is sorely need as their thirst for water begins to tear them apart. But the shores they find are inhospitable, being full of violence as the empire of Bali Adro seeks control of the south. Strangeness is everywhere and revelations are forced on the crew that are
Aaron Jensen
I can't recommend "The Chatrand Voyage" quartet highly enough. It is my new favorite fantasy series. (Previous favorites include "The Belgariad" by David Eddings, "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" by Terry Brooks, and the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen R Donaldson.)

This is a superbly crafted story, in an incredibly detailed world, filled with real characters with a plot that carries you with it from beginning to end. Loved, loved, loved it.

The world of Alifros is fully developed with great c
Tedric
Review

PRAISE FOR ROBERT V. S. REDICK

“Robert Redick is an extraordinary talent.”_—New York Times_ bestselling author Karen Miller

The Red Wolf Conspiracy

“This is one terrific read. . . . I can’t remember when I’ve been more enthralled.”—Terry Brooks

“Masterful storytelling . . . a delight.”—_Los Angeles Times_

“With comparisons to George R. R. Martin and Philip Pullman, this is highly recommended for all fantasy collections.”—_Library Journal _(starred review)

The Ruling Sea

“Exciting

Kaila
The weakest installment of the series, for a number of reasons.

All of the bad guys were intangible. Arunis was hardly in it at all, and a new big baddie, Macadra, was introduced, who was only actually visible for 3 or 4 pages. Instead, there was a lot of our group of heroes talking about how the end of the world was nigh and how gee we'd better do something about it but SIGH life is hard.

Not nearly enough Chathrand. They sailed...I dunno...maybe 50 miles all told in this book. From about the hal
Reed
Jane
This book is the third in an intriguing fantasy series. I really enjoyed the first two books, the Red Wolf Conspiracy and the Ruling Sea. I had a little harder time getting into this one, probably because so much time has passed since the last. I had trouble remembering who everyone was and what had transpired in the previous books. There are many characters with significant roles to play. I think this series would be great read straight through with no long gaps.

The action is fast without overw
Christopher
Rating 3.5

The river of shadows continues the hunt for the mad sorcerer Arunis, as the conspiracy around the nilstone and those that want to use it expands and becomes much more complex. Pazel, Thasha, Neeps, Hercol and others continue their chase chase to finally catch and kill Arunis with success. However Arunis successfully releases the swarm as Thasha realizes that a great power has been hiding within her since her birth. There is a lot more that takes places but that would spoil the book fo
Glenn O'Bannon
Another excellent book in this most excellent series!

This one felt like like it should of ended perhaps a little sooner but you don't mind so much due to the really compelling adventure, characters you really care about and the imaginative settings.

My favorite authors are ones that describe so well and in just the right way that you see the movie in your head in vivid detail. That is true for Robert V. S. Redick as for very few authors alive today.
Tbloxham
A book which gets 4 stars because of the massive strength of the first book and the solid quality of the second. This was a good read, but unlike the clear and exciting story structure of the first and the intriguing account of shipboard life in the second it struggles from the very start to find it's feet. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but the story is beginning to collapse under the weight of so much surrounding architecture. Hopefully the last book in the series will restore a sharp ...more
Ivana
I can finally say it - epic. The third book in the Chathrand series has been the best yet. I lost myself in the pages more than once. The action and adventure was kicked up to epic proportions in this book, which made reading through the previous novels finally feel worth it.

Finally, an real ending, and something actually got accomplished.
Joshua
I think if we fans of the genre are honest with ourselves, we'd admit that these epic series share an uncomfortable similarity with soap operas. I think this book suffers from that comparison a little more closely than the other entries so far. We get a lot of Shocking Revelations and a little too much teenage relationship angst. Even so, Redick still keeps me reading with such things like the fourth-wall breaking chapter lecturing us (the readers) about how the main characters should be chaste, ...more
Dani
The ending surprised me. At first I was disappointed that it wasn't the standard 'love conquers all' or even searching forever for the love you lost. After mulling on it for awhile, it was refreshing to have a total left turn at the very end, and felt it echoed real life nicely, as we all know life never turns out how we expect, and sometimes settling for what we initially see as our second choice turns out to be the best, most meaningful fulfilling decision we ever make. I enjoyed this series v ...more
Fred
Almost nothing is as it seems in this series. Was definitely not expecting some of the turns in the story and characters. Bit of a multiverse element opening up as well.
Susanne
Much as it pains me to say this (I loved the first two books in the series): I don't think this book was necessary. I don't want to say 'boring', because that's so harsh and also not quite true, so maybe I'll call it 'not engaging enough'. 'Too full of stuff the story doesn't need', maybe. Or, 'too many twists and turns'? Look, what happens is: We're on the ship, we're going some place and then we 1) have a problem, 2) get out of it, 3) have a problem, 4) get out of it, 5) have a problem, 6), er ...more
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
  • The Grave Thief (Twilight Reign, #3)
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Sacred Band (Acacia, #3)
  • The Hammer
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Corvus (The Macht, #2)
  • Stands a Shadow (The Heart of the World, #2)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The River Kings' Road (Ithelas, #1)
  • Knife Sworn (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Map of All Things (Terra Incognita, #2)
Robert V.S. Redick is in his thirties and works as the editor for the Spanish and French websites of Oxfam America and as an instructor in the International Development and Social Change program at Clark University. Born and raised in Charlottesville, Virginia, he lives in rural western Massachusetts. While his unpublished novel Conquistadors was a finalist for the 2002 AWP/Thomas Dunne Novel Awar ...more
More about Robert V.S. Redick...
The Red Wolf Conspiracy (The Chathrand Voyage, #1) The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2) The Night of the Swarm (Chathrand Voyages #4) Unfettered