A Black Girl's Poetry for the World

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Poetry on love and life
Published April 13th 2011 by Createspace

Tara Chevrestt
I don't normally read poetry and I am probably not the best judge of it, but when I saw this gorgeous cover, I was willing to give it a go and I enjoyed it very much. This book of poems is a variety of emotions. There's the poem What I Need. It's a woman telling a man she doesn't want to be his girl, just wants what she needs, but then there's the poem My Last Day, a woman telling her lover that being with him is how she wants to spend her last day and Love's Surprise...

Kimberly LaRocca
Nov 02, 2011 Kimberly LaRocca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I read back through the collection from time to time. Some of the poems make me happy, others sad but I'm glad I got to share my thoughts and feelings with the world.
Dixie Goode
"poetry Lives Here" is a poem in this collection, but it could just as well be the title of the book. I can't say that I am finished with this book, but that isn't how poetry collections work anyway, is it now? And This One Works. Everything from the beautiful cover to the poetry inside works so well it looks easy.

She titled it, A Black Girl's Poetry For the World, and even though I am a middle aged white woman who grew up in a town in Wyoming with Native American and Mexican Americans and White...more
A.F.
Nov 29, 2011 A.F. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry, own
A Black Girl’s Poetry for the World by Kimberly LaRocca is a thoroughly enjoyable book. The poetry in the book is emotive and expressive, delving into tangled subjects, and the author has separated her verse into two themed sections, Love and Life.

The poems in the first half, Love, are a diverse, frank and raw examination of affection, sex, commitment, and love gone sour and they run a gamut of emotional depth. The author doesn’t shy away from a candid message in her poetry, while still deliver...more
McGuffy Morris
Kimberly LaRocca is a very talented and gifted poet. Her poetry is clear, concise, and straightforward. I feel privileged that she asked me to review her book.

This book of heartfelt poetry is divided into two sections: Life, and Love. But it is clear that both are reflected in each of Kimberly’s poems. In fact, her poetry is driven by both life and love. She captures living and shares it in her poetry.

Every poem that Kimberly shares with the reader is written from her experiences, from life and...more
Cristina
Sep 18, 2011 Cristina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women, older teens
Recommended to Cristina by: Kimberly LaRocca
Shelves: owned, favorites
I don't usually purchase poetry books because I tend to read poetry only when I am in the mood for it. I received this book when the author asked me if I would like to review it. I did not write a review immediately after reading it. The reason being is that I like to see how much I will go back to it before I recommend a poetry book. I have gone back multiple times. The author write from experience and she writes with emotion. You feel it as you read it. I could relate in some way to almost eve...more
Ian
I don't usually buy poetry but decided to give this a try based on a recommendation.
This book is very readable, and is simplistic in many ways which I like to see.
It lets you in, and that is important.
Many emotions within these pages, a particular favourite is 'Don't Forget Yesterday.'
Rather than trying to be clever, Kimberly's view of events in her life as she sees them
and descibes them in her own contemporary way works for me.
I hope to read more of her work.
Enjoyable and recommended.
C.C. Cole
“A Black Girl’s Poetry for the World” by Kimberly LaRocca is a collection of insightful poems addressing many levels of the human existence, from pain, to love, and to everyday living. What I really enjoyed are the large messages delivered by so few, easy to read lines, and minimizing of clichés. I recommend this to anyone that either reads poetry often, or to novel-readers looking for a romp into creativity that’s refreshing and inspirational. Five Stars!
Marjie Pride
Kimberly is a fantastic writer full of love and emotion!
Allizabeth Collins
Description:

A Black Girl's Poetry for the World is a collection of 123 poems about life, love and everything in between, written by Kimberly LaRocca – mother, poet, author and songwriter.

Review:

I love poetry, whether it comes as rhyming stanzas or as simple verse, so when I read about A Black Girl's Poetry for the World by Kimberly LaRocca, I knew what I wanted to read next. First-off, the cover is gorgeous, I love the colors, the font and the side profile – they allow the outside of the book...more
Karielle
A Black Girl's Poetry for the World by Kimberly LaRocca
Release Date: April 13th, 2011
Publisher: CreateSpace
Page Count: 123
Source: Directly from author for review

Kimberly LaRocca knows all about challenges, the ones we can’t control, and those we create. She also knows about standing tall and staying proud, no matter what.

While celebrating self-determination and human pride, A Black Girl’s Poetry for the World also presents insightful poems exploring all aspects of the human experience. From lost...more
Ingrid Jennings
I really like this book of poetry. I believe anyone who reads this book will definitely find poems that they can relate too. In addition, this book has a spectacular cover. I have been keeping this book by my bedside and reading over the poems every night. The poem "Poetry Lives Here" really captures my heart because I can definitely relate to it and "Knowing My Worth" is also one of my favorites.
Gurdruda Awkward
Gurdruda Awkward marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
belinda
belinda marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Mitzfit
Mitzfit marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
kira
kira added it
Apr 15, 2014
John
John added it
Mar 23, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Christmas Book Sale 1 1 Nov 30, 2011 05:04PM
A Black Girl’s Poetry for the World
By Kimberly LaRocca

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, KNOW YOUR WORTH,
BE WHO YOU KNOW YOU WERE MEANT TO BE
--New Collection of Poetry Celebrates Personal Pride and Life Challenges

Don’t be scared to let go.
make your move.
You’re right where you need to be.
Don’t be afraid.
Do what you say.
That moment is meant just for you
To make your move.
From “Making Moves”

Kimberly LaRocca knows...more
More about Kimberly LaRocca...
My Mind's Temple What My Grandma Taught Me Inside Gray Matters