Start by marking “Parenthood by Proxy” as Want to Read:
Parenthood by Proxy

Parenthood by Proxy

Following her previous New York Times bestsellers, Dr.Laura Schlessinger, the conscience of talk radio, now addresses an issue near and dear to her heart: the stupid things parents do to mess up their children. Never one to shy away from tough truths, Dr. Laura marshals compelling evidence for the widespread neglect of America's children and convincingly condemns the numer ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Parenthood by Proxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenthood by Proxy

Emily
Jul 18, 2007 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this book - I listened to an audio version while driving to and from work. It's in part about how you shouldn't leave your kid in daycare, so I was having some rough weeks there - dropping the kid off at daycare with Laura lecturing in my ear about the permanant damage to his baby soul that my selfishness was causing.

I have a love of seeking out extreme viewpoints, including conservative. There were a lot of things I liked that she said though, and it's always fun to gasp and shake
Kathryn
Mar 06, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Dr. Laura
Dr. Laura is much more interesting to listen to that read. I find her writing difficult. I do agree with her premise that institutions do too much of the raising of our children.
Sylvester
Aug 07, 2009 Sylvester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A very hard-hitting book. News headlines, radio interviews, a look at what's happening out there. This book will make most people angry. It is by far the best book on this subject I've ever read. Avoid it like the plague or live with the consequences.

Dr. Laura believes that parenting is the most important (and most difficult)job in existence, that the entire planet is affected most by what does or does not happen in the home, that family is the most basic unit and influences all of society becau
Tena Holdaway
Dr Laura is not a writer. I agree with some of her ideas. I like the way she is blunt and gets to the main problems with the breakdown of the family. However, an excerpt, followed by excerpt of a radio show or letter followed by one sentence of original thought, then followed by another excerpt is not really writing. This is a collection of excerpts. She did the same thing with "The Proper care and feeding of Husbands" In fact her conclusion on that book was something like now go be a good wife ...more
Mindi
Oct 17, 2009 Mindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Way back in my college days at BYU I had a professor who had us read this book, and it changed my life! Not because I was planning on putting my kids in day care or anything but because I agreed whole-heartedly with what Dr. Laura says in the book. I remember thinking, "Finally, someone who has the guts to stand up for kids and to stand up to parents!" And the rest is history - I've been a faithful Dr. Laura listener and reader ever since. God bless Dr. Laura - she saves the lives of children an ...more
Jaclyn
Apr 01, 2012 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous social commentary backed by much research. Right up there with the proper care and feeding books. Absolutely wonderful; I was cheering by the end. After reading this book I am stronger and more determined as a parent in the face of today's permissive, immoral, and hands-off parenting society. Our kids really do need us at home and providing boundaries! It is our responsibility and obligation to actually raise our children!
Julie
Jul 12, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, I have been on a Dr. Laura kick. I read this book not really knowing what to expect. Her cause is well represented and I deeply appreciate the honesty with which she represents her ideas, even if I don't agree with all her ideas. My favorite details of this book are actually the case studies and statistics she uses. Definitely worth a read.
Emily
Feb 25, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Laura's ideas on raising children are very sensible. However, the entire book was a general attack on those who are destroying the family, such as feminists and "modern" and "scientific" "experts." Of course, such a thing is called for in today's society, but for someone who already agreed with these kinds of ideas (like me), it was tiresome.
Stacie
Jul 23, 2010 Stacie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-books
I usually like Dr Laura but I really struggled with this book. I still like most of her concepts but I did not like the presentation with this one. It was SO negative and makes it seem like you will never raise a good child unless you are with them 24/7 and NEVER let them out of your site. It makes me feel hopeless as a parent. It was such an "angry" book for me.
Mar 18, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A few years ago I won some essay contest for a local radio show. As a prize I got to go to the station and hear Dr. Laura speak. Abrasive, yes, but Schlesinger does make a lot of important points about the decline of the nuclear family and the importance of parents being parental.
Abby
Apr 09, 2008 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about all the reasons you should stay home and raise your kids, rather than hiring day care or a nanny to do it for you. It convinced me! I'm glad that I was already a stay at home mom or I'd probably quit my job after reading it.
Carolyn
Nov 11, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very conservative in parenting views, while not going into minute detail. The underlined message in this book is to be present in your childrens' lives and that being a bad (or absent) parent is 100% your choice.
Sep 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I liked this in general, but I just don't love Dr. Laura. I wish she would have quoted more hard facts instead of countless comic strips and stupid women's magazine articles. But I'd certainly say "amen" to her main point, which is that kids deserve to be raised by the people that love them most.
Trisha
Jun 20, 2011 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hooray for Dr Laura's courage to take a stand with boldness!
Chanika
Feb 05, 2012 Chanika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Dr. Laura! She tells it to you straight.
Leilani
Nov 21, 2009 Leilani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one says it quite like Dr. Laura. Being a parent is the most important job we'll ever have--I want to do better!
Jana Bruhschwein
Really makes you think.
Julie
May 29, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a good read for parents today.
Muriel Fang
Nov 05, 2015 Muriel Fang rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Reads like author's screaming, not calm writing.
Chrystal
Jan 14, 2008 Chrystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, favorites
Dr. Laura is always blunt, but usually right on the money!
Dree
Oct 12, 2009 Dree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Some common sense, some incredible arrogance and cluelessness about what other peoples' circumstances may be, quite possibly through no fault of their own.
Annie
Aug 06, 2010 Annie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the introduction, that's all I really needed to read. I agree with the subtitle, but I could've just read that and gotten the same information. I couldn't finish it.
Cindy
Dr. Laura is so right. Would never want to leave my kids with strangers.
Nicole
May 28, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hooooooray for Dr. Laura!!
JJ
Jul 04, 2014 JJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated and full of quotes and statistics.
Feb 19, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'll admit that I'm a huge DL fan. This book was great. It haven't read it in years... I think I'd like to pick it up again.
Lucky Bug
Wow. If you want to read something that horrifies the reader more than any horror or suspense book try this one.
Lafantasma
Lafantasma rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Kristen
Kristen rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Heather Giltner
Heather Giltner rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Raising a Self-Disciplined Child: Help Your Child Become More Responsible, Confident, and Resilient
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards
  • Teaching Your Children Joy
  • Raising a Daughter: Parents and the Awakening of a Healthy Woman
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • Homeschooling: The Teen Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 13- to 18- Year-Old
  • Children Are from Heaven: Positive Parenting Skills for Raising Cooperative, Confident, and Compassionate Children
  • Raising a Son: Parents and the Making of a Healthy Man
  • The Girlfriends' Guide to Getting Your Groove Back: Loving Your Family Without Losing Your Mind (Girlfriends' Guides)
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Raising Respectful Children in a Disrespectful World (Motherhood Club)
  • Your Kids Are Your Own Fault: A Guide For Raising Responsible, Productive Adults
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
  • Love and Logic Magic When Kids Leave You Speechless
  • Praying the Scriptures for Your Children: Discover How to Pray God's Will for Their Lives
  • The New Puberty: How to Navigate Early Development in Today's Girls
6519027
an American talk radio host, socially conservative commentator and author
More about Laura C. Schlessinger...