Start by marking “Still Forms on Foxfield” as Want to Read:
Still Forms on Foxfield

Still Forms on Foxfield

Fleeing the final war that would destroy Earth's civilization, a small group of Friends--Quakers--found refuge on the uncharted planet they named Foxfield. Somehow they managed to survive, with the aid of the bizarrely gifted native life-form, the Commensals--and, even more extraordinarily, they kept up the practice of their gentle but demanding beliefs. Then, after nearly ...more
Published December 1st 1988 by Avon Books (first published April 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Still Forms on Foxfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Forms on Foxfield

Kelly
Nov 28, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Good feminist sci-fi, envisions an alternative world where women understand natural forces and work with it.
Fran
There's a lot I liked about this book. The passages about Meeting and the internal reflections that happen within are brilliant, likewise any other time the book deals with Quaker issues. The rest was an interesting exploration of cultures meeting, but it ultimately fell a little flat and went nowhere satisfying for me.
Brenda
Oct 17, 2010 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read a couple other books by Joan Slonczewski, and really liked what I've read so far. So since I've had this sitting on my shelf for a few years, I figured I'd better pick it up. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I believe this was her first novel, and she has definitely improved (although she hasn't written anything recently), but Still Forms on Foxfield left a lot to be desired.

To start with, I just kept waiting for something big to happen, something that would surprise or excite m
Cissa
May 23, 2014 Cissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not space opera. While some of the conflicts have wide implications, Slonczewski keeps the focus narrow- on THIS colony, and THESE issues. I really like that. I am getting bored with sf that always seem to have to Save The Universe!!! and prefer things on a more human scale.

The culture clashes are depicted very thoughtfully- the ones the colonists had with the aliens (mostly historical); the ones the colonists had with the Authority that swept in and demanded allegience, and the ones sai
Jenny Yates
Feb 06, 2009 Jenny Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this sci-fi novel very much. Culture clash is always fertile ground for a story. In this one, we are introduced to a bunch of Quakers from Earth who have managed to survive for four generations as colonists on a new planet, Foxfield. In the meantime, they’ve developed a peaceful relationship with some strange and sensitive indigenous beings. When the book begins, Earth – which has gone off in some new directions – makes contact again.

This book was written about thirty years ago, but t
Cokewater
Oct 30, 2014 Cokewater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Joan Slonczewski's knowledge of biology and quantum physics, which shines through in her writing. She puts the science first in science fiction. I'm also a huge fan of the spirituality and philosophy in her books.

I have no problem believing in the worlds she creates. And the messages and themes she puts forth are ones I can get on board with.

Specific to Still Forms on Foxfield, I am forced to wonder if the current (late 2014) consumer trend of smart watches à la the Apple Watch-
Otessa
Jan 15, 2012 Otessa rated it it was amazing
Shockingly good. The premise (um, "Quakers in space"...) could have strayed into mere gimmick territory. And, admittedly, I read it on a lark, expecting little more than a laugh.

But this book is no mere gimmick. Spell-binding world-building. Remarkable and yet believable characterization-- which also drives the action, instead of the other way around, like in some lackluster sf. Complicated and rewarding storyline. Utterly enthralling. Recommended to spec. fic. and science fic lovers, especiall
Dana
Mar 09, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this read. I found the idea of a group of Quakers sent off in spaceship to colonize another world intriguing. I enjoyed Allison, the central character very much. Her love of tech and struggle with her spirituality very honest and believable. The dystopian civilization that comes looking for their lost colonists is fascinating. What kinda dropped my interest was the ending. It was, less than satisfying. I understand the author's desire to convey the attitude of Quakers, but it ne ...more
Carole B
Mar 30, 2013 Carole B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilariously poorly written, and had decided themes of American superiority, acceptance but degradation of homosexuality, and anti-industrialism. Fantastically bad.
Freyja
Feb 05, 2015 Freyja rated it it was ok
Interesting premise for a book. Especially compelling was how the visitors from Earth tried to change the Foxfield colonists and the way the colonists limited the tech onslaught.
David C. Mueller
David C. Mueller rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Amy Weiner
Amy Weiner rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2012
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2012
Barry Hill
Barry Hill rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Joseph Betz
Joseph Betz rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2009
Allison Magpayo
Allison Magpayo rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2016
Quare
Quare rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2014
ELRS
ELRS rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Dcady
Dcady rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Sheri M
Sheri M rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Taylor
Taylor rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2014
LB
LB rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2008
Ty Rossiter
Ty Rossiter rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2012
Jane Meredith
Jane Meredith rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Joan Lyn Slonczewski is an American microbiologist at Kenyon College and a science fiction writer who explores biology and space travel. Her books have twice earned the John W. Campbell award for best science fiction novel: The Highest Frontier (2012) and A Door into Ocean (1987). With John W. Foster she coauthors the textbook, Microbiology: An Evolving Science (W. W. Norton).
More about Joan Slonczewski...