Start by marking “Still Forms on Foxfield” as Want to Read:
Still Forms on Foxfield

Still Forms on Foxfield

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Fleeing the final war that would destroy Earth's civilization, a small group of Friends--Quakers--found refuge on the uncharted planet they named Foxfield. Somehow they managed to survive, with the aid of the bizarrely gifted native life-form, the Commensals--and, even more extraordinarily, they kept up the practice of their gentle but demanding beliefs. Then, after nearly ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 214 pages
Published December 1st 1988 by Avon Books (first published April 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Still Forms on Foxfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Forms on Foxfield

Kelly
Good feminist sci-fi, envisions an alternative world where women understand natural forces and work with it.
Cissa
This is not space opera. While some of the conflicts have wide implications, Slonczewski keeps the focus narrow- on THIS colony, and THESE issues. I really like that. I am getting bored with sf that always seem to have to Save The Universe!!! and prefer things on a more human scale.

The culture clashes are depicted very thoughtfully- the ones the colonists had with the aliens (mostly historical); the ones the colonists had with the Authority that swept in and demanded allegience, and the ones sai
Cokewater
I really enjoy Joan Slonczewski's knowledge of biology and quantum physics, which shines through in her writing. She puts the science first in science fiction. I'm also a huge fan of the spirituality and philosophy in her books.

I have no problem believing in the worlds she creates. And the messages and themes she puts forth are ones I can get on board with.

Specific to Still Forms on Foxfield, I am forced to wonder if the current (late 2014) consumer trend of smart watches à la the Apple Watch-
Dana
I really enjoyed this read. I found the idea of a group of Quakers sent off in spaceship to colonize another world intriguing. I enjoyed Allison, the central character very much. Her love of tech and struggle with her spirituality very honest and believable. The dystopian civilization that comes looking for their lost colonists is fascinating. What kinda dropped my interest was the ending. It was, less than satisfying. I understand the author's desire to convey the attitude of Quakers, but it ne ...more
Jenny

I enjoyed this sci-fi novel very much. Culture clash is always fertile ground for a story. In this one, we are introduced to a bunch of Quakers from Earth who have managed to survive for four generations as colonists on a new planet, Foxfield. In the meantime, they’ve developed a peaceful relationship with some strange and sensitive indigenous beings. When the book begins, Earth – which has gone off in some new directions – makes contact again.

This book was written about thirty years ago, but t
Brenda
I've read a couple other books by Joan Slonczewski, and really liked what I've read so far. So since I've had this sitting on my shelf for a few years, I figured I'd better pick it up. I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I believe this was her first novel, and she has definitely improved (although she hasn't written anything recently), but Still Forms on Foxfield left a lot to be desired.

To start with, I just kept waiting for something big to happen, something that would surprise or excite m
Otessa
Shockingly good. The premise (um, "Quakers in space"...) could have strayed into mere gimmick territory. And, admittedly, I read it on a lark, expecting little more than a laugh.

But this book is no mere gimmick. Spell-binding world-building. Remarkable and yet believable characterization-- which also drives the action, instead of the other way around, like in some lackluster sf. Complicated and rewarding storyline. Utterly enthralling. Recommended to spec. fic. and science fic lovers, especiall
Fran
There's a lot I liked about this book. The passages about Meeting and the internal reflections that happen within are brilliant, likewise any other time the book deals with Quaker issues. The rest was an interesting exploration of cultures meeting, but it ultimately fell a little flat and went nowhere satisfying for me.
Carrie Anne
This book was hilariously poorly written, and had decided themes of American superiority, acceptance but degradation of homosexuality, and anti-industrialism. Fantastically bad.
Haljon
Haljon marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Tristantyson
Tristantyson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Lborka
Lborka marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
D.D.
D.D. marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Cindy Pallares-Quezada
Cindy Pallares-Quezada marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Kosta
Kosta marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joan Lyn Slonczewski is an American microbiologist at Kenyon College and a science fiction writer who explores biology and space travel. Her books have twice earned the John W. Campbell award for best science fiction novel: The Highest Frontier (2012) and A Door into Ocean (1987). With John W. Foster she coauthors the textbook, Microbiology: An Evolving Science (W. W. Norton).
More about Joan Slonczewski...
A Door Into Ocean Brain Plague The Highest Frontier The Children Star Daughter of Elysium