Start by marking “Late Rain” as Want to Read:
Late Rain

Late Rain

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Corrine Tedros is a Lady Macbeth wannabe who sets in motion the murder of her uncle-in-law (a soft-drink mogul), and things go awry when the murder is witnessed by a senior citizen in the late stages of Alzheimers. Things are complicated by the fact that the daughter of the man with Alzheimers is involved with a former homicide detective who has resigned and moved South in

Published (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Late Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Rain

Sally Beaudean
Interesting, if not completely satisfying

How do I explain the perplexing nature of this novel? Where it moves slowly it seems to be intentionally so. The language seems to parallel the thought processes of the characters, all of whom are deeply flawed, so much so that the criminal aspects of the plot and the resolution
o the mystery are of little significance. I was most taken in by the minor character Jack Carson who is suffering with Alzheimer's -- the author's depiction of Jack's struggle is
Derrick
I enjoyed this book immensely and found it hard to put down. The characters are truly memorable and the story was engaging. I have read Mr. Kostoff's previous books and while they were good, they pale in comparison to the greatness found between the covers of this book. It may have taken the author years to publish this third book, but it seems he spent the time crafting a book that is bound to be mentioned in most Best of 2010 lists. I hope he is working on a new novel, as I for one, will certa ...more
Jim Thomsen
Gorgeously written, quietly controlled, coolly brooding and as sneaky as a sucker punch with its surprises, "Late Rain" is quite possibly my favorite crime novel published in 2010. And I've read 40 to 50 new releases in 2010.

In a year clogged by self-conscious genre stylists screaming and steaming overheated prose from every paragraph, Lynn Kostoff's third novel is a soft breeze on a warm beach, quite possibly in the slightly seedy South Carolina resort town that offers a backdrop to this drawl
Elizabeth A.
Characters, and issues of character, abound in the latest offering from author Lynn Kostoff, Late Rain. The sleepy, second tier resort town of Magnolia Beach, South Carolina wouldn’t seem to be the ideal setting for a drama of Shakespearean proportions, yet that is precisely what Kostoff delivers.

Corrine Tedros, unhappy with her husband’s lack of a sense of urgency in persuading his uncle, Stanley, to sell his highly profitable soft drink empire, decides to speed the process along…by hiring a hi
Leah  St.James
As a writer, I can imagine the amount of time and effort Mr. Kostoff poured into this novel. That time and energy paid off in terms of the brilliant phrasing and vivid imagery throughout the story (despite some sentences so long they lost me now and then). But where it really fell short for me was the actual story. It depressed me. I can take dark stories as long as there are elements of lightness here or there to break the mood, but I didn't find that in Late Rain. I found page after page of sa ...more
Simon
It's hard to review Late Rain by Lynn Kostoff. On Amazon and various other online review sites, I've read a lot of praises for both the author and the book. Yet upon completion, I'm left wondering if something is horribly wrong with me because I did not find the book that compelling. I decided to read this book because it made it to the top of the list of free Kindle books. Since it was free and I thought the product description was pretty decent, why not give it a try?

Beside paragraph long sent
Dana King
Kostoff expertly handles a multi-POV story with well-developed characters and a sense of place, all while propelling the story and its sub-plots with perfect pacing. There’s a coincidence here, too, that I may have missed the explanation for, but, it’s a piddly bit that does not weaken the resolution. Late Rain is professional crime fiction suitable to be broken down by authors who want to know how to keep multiple balls in the air, and make the reader think it’s easy.
Anne
I got the book because of decent reviews on Kindle and the fact that it was free.

Unlike many reviews I have seen, I didn't think the writing was great. I thought that it was overly flowery and dramatic, almost to the point of distraction - the kind of language where you read the first couple sentences of a paragraph, then kind of skip down a couple paragraphs because you just don't care about the language, you want to know what is happening in the plot line.

I thought that the plot was fine. Ther
Mary
That has got to be the weirdest ending ever! :( Horrible ending. I would never recommend this book to anyone. It was bad enough to try to keep up with the separate characters, each chapter bouncing from the "good" guys to the "bad" guys. Yuck!
Melissa
This was free on the kindle and now I know why. Interesting concept and a lot of potential, but it fell flat. There were too many characters and some of them, including some major characters, were completely unnecessary. Same thing for some plot lines.
This book desperately needed an editor; there were many run on sentences. I normally wouldn't care because I'm guilty of run-ons, but one was about a page and a half long, another was four pages long! (Four pages on the kindle is slightly less tha
Cindy Meilink
Throw together a beautiful woman with a lot of secrets and a new husband, the murder of her husband's wealthy uncle, and a policeman trying to escape his past and discover a future; mix in some great writing by Lynn Kostoff, and you have a winner in Late Rain.

The well developed characters and storyline make this an intriguing book. Murders mount up, but will the guilty pay for the crimes in the end?

Good story, and a very quick read.
Klaudyna Z.
This one wasn't for me. I felt like all the characters were emotion-less and flat and didn't have a lot of substance. I kind of thought the whole story was pointless and that the ending also fell kind of flat.

I didn't really understand the point of Paige's character and I felt like Jack's story was just kind of left hanging at the end. I also thought that having two characters that weren't all there mentally was a bit much.
Rory Costello
I was drawn to this novel because I thought the premise with how the crime was witnessed was remarkably clever. I found the work overall solid and satisfying -- it's moody and effective. Kostoff managed something quite difficult in making me somehow feel sympathy for Corrine. The downright oddness of Croy was another element that entertained me. I would read more of Kostoff.
Elizabeth
Exactly the type of murder mystery I'm getting a little sick of. None of the characters are sympathetic or overly interesting. The situations that make them act the way they act seem trite. Wouldn't go out of my way to find more books by this author. If desperate at an airport, might buy one.
Mindy

To me this book was not really worth reading. I think the author did a good job but had quite a few drawn out descriptions of situations that really didn't do much for the story. The story part kept me reading, hoping for and ending but the ending never really came.
Sue  Turner
Finely crafted story with well drawn characters, each extraordinarily different and fully fleshed. Dialog matched the speaker. It's a book I'll remember and will probably reread for pure enjoyment of the descriptive phrasing and Croy's unusual inner musings.
Debbie
Another free e-book that was rated #1 on the Amazon top 100 free e-books list.

The ridiculously run-on paragraph length sentences and numerous editing errors were quite distracting.

There were interesting characters but ... not worth the read.
Arlene
A mystery that really isn't a mystery. You know who did what, and why, as soon as it happens. But the cops don't, and another thread of the book tells the story of the cop figuring it all out.

Not a very satisfying book, IMHO.
DK
Aug 08, 2011 DK marked it as lend-me
Shelves: fiction
Available to lend through B&N "Lend Me" - see link below for info and reviews. Leave a comment if you are interested in borrowing.

Donna
The book was okay....decently paced. However, the ending was awful.

I read it because it was free on the Kindle. Would't recommend that anyone pay for this book
John
I enjoyed this book. It was a good story with believable characters. I will look for other books by this author.
Rebecca Crowley
I am anxiously awaiting what Lynn Kostoff writes next. LATE RAIN is beautifully written with dark humor.
Nina Chachu
Although a lot of the loose ends were wrapped up, I guess I expected a somewhat different end.
Joanne
Really compelling crime novel, well written but kind left me hanging.
Caitlin Meisenbach
Slow start. Great middle. Abrupt and disappointing end.
Kim Setser
Good story, average writing.
Lou Wooten
Lou Wooten marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jamie Stringer
Jamie Stringer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
erin demers
erin demers is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2015
  • The Trouble With Green
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Restore My Heart (Mustang Sally Trilogy #1)
  • Double Exposure
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Innocent Monster (Moe Prager, #6)
  • Commune of Women
  • House Report
  • Guns
  • County Line
  • Untouchable
  • Too Near The Edge (Cleo & Tyler Mysteries, #1)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • Clear Blue Sky
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Sons and Princes
The Long Fall: A Novel of Crime A Choice of Nightmares WORDS TO DIE FOR Words to Die For

“Even if, right then, he could not name the condition, he recognized what it felt like. It felt like each moment of what he’d once been able to call his life were being reshuffled over and over like a deck of cards.” 0 likes