Start by marking “Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)” as Want to Read:
Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)

Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie #18)

Pity poor Captain Alan Lewrie, Royal Navy! He's been wind-muzzled for weeks in Portsmouth, snugly tucked into a warm shore bed with lovely, and loving, Lydia Stangbourne, a Viscount's daughter, and beginning to enjoy indulging his idle streak, when Admiralty tears Lewrie away and order him to the Bahamas, into the teeth of ferocious winter storms. It's enough to make a rak ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Reefs and Shoals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reefs and Shoals

Ericfg
May 20, 2013 Ericfg rated it really liked it
The Warshington Times said "Lambdin is closing in on Patrick O'Brian as the most prolific historical novelist to celebrate a Royal Navy mariner." Indeed, he's three behind the great O'Brian's tally. And while sheer numbers of books may not equal greatness they must mean something, no?
I'm speaking more about Lambdin's series in this review than this one book. The mysterious Mister Lambdin (does anybody have any details at all about the man besides that one image of him??) is no Patrick O'Brian, b
D.w.
Jun 12, 2015 D.w. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Lambdin provides with the 18th adventure of his hero Alan Lewrie, a series that certainly has legs. Here, unlike the previous few books, we spend 80% of our time in naval action, and 20% of our time back in Port in England, a reverse of what we had seen in the last three novels. And that is well worth it.

It is the time after the Peace of Amiens has ended and before Trafalgar, though we end knowing that the enemy fleet is out in the Atlantic. Fortunately for Sir Alan, Baronet, he has been given
Thomas S
Jul 23, 2012 Thomas S rated it it was ok
Picked this at random off the "just in" shelf at the Westport library. Apparantly, there is a whole series of "Alan Lewrie" -- very similar I would guess to the much more popular Patrick O'Brian naval series (one of which, Master and Commander, was made into a movie starring that Aussie or Kiwi actor whose name escapes me -- not Mel Gibson). This one takes place in waters that I am somewhat familiar with -- Bermuda, Bahamas, Florida Keys, Savannah, Charleston -- and should have been a great read ...more
Jim
Jan 16, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing
The year is 1805, the year of Trafalgar, and Sir Alan Captain Lewrie, Baronet, is ordered, as captain of the frigate, HMS Reliant, to Bermuda, there to form a small squadron to combat French and Spanish privateers, who are wreaking havoc on British commercial vessels.

Lewrie spends most of the year in this endeavor, coasting from Key West to as far north as Wilmington, NC, seeking the hideouts of privateers. He also has the opportunity to visit Wilmington, Charleston and Savannah (all of which ar
Brenda Jones
Sep 11, 2016 Brenda Jones rated it it was amazing
I have been getting Dewey Lambdin's books from the library, and so I have not been reading them in the order that they were written, but I have found that each book stands on its on, and even though I have not been reading them in order, I can follow the series of events very easily. Mr. Lambdin writes in a way that is easy to follow, and enticing to read. I have to confess that I do not know much about naval history or sailing ships, but I enjoy reading Lambdin's description of the above, and a ...more
Steve
Apr 24, 2016 Steve added it
David Rubin
Jul 29, 2013 David Rubin rated it it was amazing
Captain Alan Lewrie takes us from his bedroom (occupied by one other person) to the Caribbean Sea and the United States for this land and sea conflict. What I like about Dewey Lambdin is that he patiently explains many of the details of fighting ships of the 18th and 19th centuries. The fun of these novels lies not only in the plot lines and adventures but the incredible high-technology of sailing and fighting during this era. Bring on more, Mr. Lambdin.
Aspen Junge
Mar 24, 2012 Aspen Junge rated it liked it
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Florence Primrose
Apr 23, 2012 Florence Primrose rated it liked it
Once again Captain Lewrie is sailing his British ship, this time charged to patrol off Cuba , Florida and the southeastern Unitee Ststes in early 1800s.

This is an engaging story of life aboard this Beirish warship as they attempt to seize privateers.
April
Sep 28, 2012 April rated it really liked it

Jumping into a series at book 18 isn't always a good choice. But I found I could keep p with this story no problem. I found the first few chapters hard to keep attention on, but eventually I was hooked.
Bethel
Apr 28, 2012 Bethel added it
I think this is # 18 in the series. I have only read 2. This most likely is not for everyone but if you like British naval history? I like it and if I had been born a man I think I would have been a sailor!
Michael Rhode
Dec 28, 2013 Michael Rhode rated it liked it
Not much action as Lewrie is in American waters while Nelson pursues the French fleet, but a pleasant read.
Reginaldo Almeida
Dec 26, 2013 Reginaldo Almeida rated it it was amazing
Shelves: em-2013
Awesome! Nice story, great depiction of the Caribean and the southern North American coast. Looking forward to reading other books of the Alan Lewerie series.
Cyrus
May 12, 2012 Cyrus rated it really liked it
Good Book. I have enjoyed the whole series. If you like Forrester's Horatio Hornblower or Bernard Cornwell, try these.
Shane Wilson
Jun 07, 2012 Shane Wilson rated it liked it
This one was not up to par with his other books. It was very tame and predictable.
M_latimer
Feb 08, 2012 M_latimer rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Captain Sir Alan Lewrie.
Edward
Edward added it
Sep 25, 2016
Simian
Simian rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Paul Berg
Paul Berg rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Stephen J. Angers
Stephen J. Angers rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Jim Bell
Jim Bell rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Kevin Tonkin
Kevin Tonkin marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
JAMES R. PLATIS
JAMES R. PLATIS rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
doug whittenburg
doug whittenburg rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Kevin Varley
Kevin Varley marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Hal
Hal rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
JR Alpine
JR Alpine rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • Ramage & the Drumbeat (The Lord Ramage Novels, #2)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • The Pirate Round (Thomas Marlowe, #3)
  • The Darkening Sea (Richard Bolitho, #22)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)