Start by marking “Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)” as Want to Read:
Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)

Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie #18)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Pity poor Captain Alan Lewrie, Royal Navy! He's been wind-muzzled for weeks in Portsmouth, snugly tucked into a warm shore bed with lovely, and loving, Lydia Stangbourne, a Viscount's daughter, and beginning to enjoy indulging his idle streak, when Admiralty tears Lewrie away and order him to the Bahamas, into the teeth of ferocious winter storms. It's enough to make a rak ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Reefs and Shoals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reefs and Shoals

The Warshington Times said "Lambdin is closing in on Patrick O'Brian as the most prolific historical novelist to celebrate a Royal Navy mariner." Indeed, he's three behind the great O'Brian's tally. And while sheer numbers of books may not equal greatness they must mean something, no?
I'm speaking more about Lambdin's series in this review than this one book. The mysterious Mister Lambdin (does anybody have any details at all about the man besides that one image of him??) is no Patrick O'Brian, b
Lambdin provides with the 18th adventure of his hero Alan Lewrie, a series that certainly has legs. Here, unlike the previous few books, we spend 80% of our time in naval action, and 20% of our time back in Port in England, a reverse of what we had seen in the last three novels. And that is well worth it.

It is the time after the Peace of Amiens has ended and before Trafalgar, though we end knowing that the enemy fleet is out in the Atlantic. Fortunately for Sir Alan, Baronet, he has been given
Thomas S
Picked this at random off the "just in" shelf at the Westport library. Apparantly, there is a whole series of "Alan Lewrie" -- very similar I would guess to the much more popular Patrick O'Brian naval series (one of which, Master and Commander, was made into a movie starring that Aussie or Kiwi actor whose name escapes me -- not Mel Gibson). This one takes place in waters that I am somewhat familiar with -- Bermuda, Bahamas, Florida Keys, Savannah, Charleston -- and should have been a great read ...more
David Rubin
Captain Alan Lewrie takes us from his bedroom (occupied by one other person) to the Caribbean Sea and the United States for this land and sea conflict. What I like about Dewey Lambdin is that he patiently explains many of the details of fighting ships of the 18th and 19th centuries. The fun of these novels lies not only in the plot lines and adventures but the incredible high-technology of sailing and fighting during this era. Bring on more, Mr. Lambdin.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Florence Primrose
Once again Captain Lewrie is sailing his British ship, this time charged to patrol off Cuba , Florida and the southeastern Unitee Ststes in early 1800s.

This is an engaging story of life aboard this Beirish warship as they attempt to seize privateers.

Jumping into a series at book 18 isn't always a good choice. But I found I could keep p with this story no problem. I found the first few chapters hard to keep attention on, but eventually I was hooked.
Apr 28, 2012 Bethel added it
I think this is # 18 in the series. I have only read 2. This most likely is not for everyone but if you like British naval history? I like it and if I had been born a man I think I would have been a sailor!
Michael Rhode
Not much action as Lewrie is in American waters while Nelson pursues the French fleet, but a pleasant read.
Reginaldo Almeida
Awesome! Nice story, great depiction of the Caribean and the southern North American coast. Looking forward to reading other books of the Alan Lewerie series.
Good Book. I have enjoyed the whole series. If you like Forrester's Horatio Hornblower or Bernard Cornwell, try these.
Shane Wilson
This one was not up to par with his other books. It was very tame and predictable.
I'm a big fan of Captain Sir Alan Lewrie.
Jim marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Trighap marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Donald Davey
Donald Davey marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Sarath Varma
Sarath Varma marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • For My Country's Freedom (Richard Bolitho, #23)
  • The Pirate Round (Thomas Marlowe, #3)
  • The Ramage Touch (The Lord Ramage Novels, #10)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)