Start by marking “Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)” as Want to Read:
Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie, #18)
Preview

Reefs and Shoals (Alan Lewrie #18)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Pity poor Captain Alan Lewrie, Royal Navy! He's been wind-muzzled for weeks in Portsmouth, snugly tucked into a warm shore bed with lovely, and loving, Lydia Stangbourne, a Viscount's daughter, and beginning to enjoy indulging his idle streak, when Admiralty tears Lewrie away and order him to the Bahamas, into the teeth of ferocious winter storms. It's enough to make a rak ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Reefs and Shoals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reefs and Shoals

Ericfg
The Warshington Times said "Lambdin is closing in on Patrick O'Brian as the most prolific historical novelist to celebrate a Royal Navy mariner." Indeed, he's three behind the great O'Brian's tally. And while sheer numbers of books may not equal greatness they must mean something, no?
I'm speaking more about Lambdin's series in this review than this one book. The mysterious Mister Lambdin (does anybody have any details at all about the man besides that one image of him??) is no Patrick O'Brian, b
Thomas S
Picked this at random off the "just in" shelf at the Westport library. Apparantly, there is a whole series of "Alan Lewrie" -- very similar I would guess to the much more popular Patrick O'Brian naval series (one of which, Master and Commander, was made into a movie starring that Aussie or Kiwi actor whose name escapes me -- not Mel Gibson). This one takes place in waters that I am somewhat familiar with -- Bermuda, Bahamas, Florida Keys, Savannah, Charleston -- and should have been a great read ...more
David Rubin
Captain Alan Lewrie takes us from his bedroom (occupied by one other person) to the Caribbean Sea and the United States for this land and sea conflict. What I like about Dewey Lambdin is that he patiently explains many of the details of fighting ships of the 18th and 19th centuries. The fun of these novels lies not only in the plot lines and adventures but the incredible high-technology of sailing and fighting during this era. Bring on more, Mr. Lambdin.
Aspen Junge
I read the entire series largely back-to-back (my local public library is well-stocked). One of the great things about this series is that we get to watch Alan Lewrie, the main character, grow up from a callow, self-indulgent teenager to a mature, thoughtful, and responsible adult.
Florence Primrose
Once again Captain Lewrie is sailing his British ship, this time charged to patrol off Cuba , Florida and the southeastern Unitee Ststes in early 1800s.

This is an engaging story of life aboard this Beirish warship as they attempt to seize privateers.
April

Jumping into a series at book 18 isn't always a good choice. But I found I could keep p with this story no problem. I found the first few chapters hard to keep attention on, but eventually I was hooked.
Bethel
Apr 28, 2012 Bethel added it
I think this is # 18 in the series. I have only read 2. This most likely is not for everyone but if you like British naval history? I like it and if I had been born a man I think I would have been a sailor!
Mike Rhode
Not much action as Lewrie is in American waters while Nelson pursues the French fleet, but a pleasant read.
Reginaldo Almeida
Awesome! Nice story, great depiction of the Caribean and the southern North American coast. Looking forward to reading other books of the Alan Lewerie series.
Cyrus
Good Book. I have enjoyed the whole series. If you like Forrester's Horatio Hornblower or Bernard Cornwell, try these.
Shane Wilson
This one was not up to par with his other books. It was very tame and predictable.
M_latimer
I'm a big fan of Captain Sir Alan Lewrie.
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 04, 2015
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Kibo
Kibo added it
Mar 09, 2015
Gary Gensinger
Gary Gensinger marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Charles Lauricello
Charles Lauricello marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Conquest (Kydd Sea Adventures, #12)
  • Signal-Close Action! (Richard Bolitho, #14)
  • The Blackbirder (Thomas Marlowe, #2)
  • Sails on the Horizon: A Novel of the Napoleonic Wars
  • Ramage's Diamond (The Lord Ramage Novels, #7)
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
Dewey Lambdin (1945- ) is an American nautical historical novelist. He is best known for his Alan Lewrie naval adventure series, set during the Napoleonic Wars. Besides the Alan Lewrie series, he is also the author of What Lies Buried: a novel of Old Cape Fear.

A self-proclaimed "Navy Brat," Lambdin spent a good deal of his early days on both coasts of the U.S.A., and overseas duty stations, with h
More about Dewey Lambdin...

Alan Lewrie (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1)
  • The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2)
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4)
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • H.M.S. Cockerel (Alan Lewrie, #6)
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Jester's Fortune (Alan Lewrie, #8)
  • King's Captain (Alan Lewrie, #9)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)
The King's Coat (Alan Lewrie, #1) The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3) The French Admiral (Alan Lewrie, #2) The King's Privateer (Alan Lewrie, #4) The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)