Start by marking “Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home” as Want to Read:
Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home

Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home

After a baby sea otter is separated from his mother during a storm, he washes up on shore where he is rescued by a human who takes him to an aquarium to recover. There he learns everything he needs to know about surviving in the wild, like how to dive to the bottom of a pool to find clams and how to break them open to eat. Before long the little otter can take care of hims ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Seababy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seababy

Erin Buhr
This beautifully illustrated story broke my heart as a mama. A little otter is separated from his mama (heart breaks), and rescued by an aquarium where they nurse him and introduce him to a new mama how care for him (heart breaks a little again), and then separated from that mama (so much heart breaking) and returned to the wild and a group of sea otters but not his mama (ahhh!). It should be noted, however that my kids didn't catch on to any of this except for the first sadness when he is separ ...more
Sofia Davis
Sep 23, 2014 Sofia Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The picture book Seababy, A Little Otter Returns Home by Ellen Levine, tells the story of a baby otter who lives in the ocean with his mother. His mother took care of him by feeding him, playing with him, and cleaning him. One night his mother wrapped the baby otter in seaweed so he could sleep. Although, that night there was a huge storm, which separated the mother and baby from each other. The baby otter washed up to the shore, and he called for him mom but couldn't hear her call back. He even ...more
Cindy
Simple text tells the story of a baby otter who becomes stranded on the beach when mom gets drifted away by a storm; humans come and rescue the baby otter and take him back to the aquarium where they nurse him and give him a surrogate mother to teach him the ways of otter life. He is then released back into the ocean, where he is automatically accepted into a family of otters. Based on true stories of the Monterey Bay Aquarium where they consistently rescue otters, “train” them, and set them fre ...more
MaryJane
Mar 30, 2016 MaryJane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, read-alouds, 2016
A cute read aloud. The book is greatly enhanced by the artwork of Jon Van Zyle, which is the main reason I gave it four stars. The adult reading this aloud to students has to do some discussion about animal rescue. I did not think that the text makes clear why the baby sea otter was taken to a sea mammal rescue facility. Not just anyone can pick up sea mammals. It is illegal under Marine Mammal Protection laws to disturb animals in the wild. There are some explanatory notes in the back of the bo ...more
Slytano
Feb 27, 2013 Slytano rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I have no use for this book. To whom can this book be recommended? A baby otter becomes orphaned and does not grieve at all for his mother. Some scientists rescue him and give him a new mother, and then they take him from the new mother and put him back in the sea.

If I was a kid, I would be terrified that I was just going to be taken away from my mom all the time.

The art is oil and it is really good.
Jayna
Jul 26, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ages 3 and up

This book tells the story of a little otter that is separated from his mother and taken to an aquarium where he is matched with a foster otter mom and learns how to take care of himself. When he is big enough he is released back into the ocean and he makes new friends.

This would be good to use for a story time about sea animals or baby animals. It has some great lessons about how animals are cared for when they lose their moms.
Kristen Sewell
Oct 16, 2013 Kristen Sewell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This story really conveys that all babies need care and attention. Even though the otter was not an animal, the humans still rescued and took care of it until it was ready to be on its' own in the wild. All things should be set free and children will learn that by reading this. The illustrations were pretty to look at this book as well.
Lauren Soich
Oct 16, 2015 Lauren Soich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-choice
I guess this book was alright. It was not my favorite and I did not love it because I don't understand what it was trying to teach young kids. It shows an otter becoming an orphan and not caring about losing his mother and everything he knew. I know if it meant to be portraying what happens in ocean life, but it seems a little bit too morbid for kids that young to read it.
Edward Sullivan
May 05, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A baby sea otter is separated from his mother in a storm, then rescued by humans and placed in a rehabilitation center where an adoptive mom teaches the baby the skills needed to feed himself. Ending with his ocean release, he is last seen tethered in seaweed and fast asleep among a group of other otters. A good balance between naturalism and anthropomorphism.
Heather
Sep 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Read because my daughter said I HAD to read this book! A sweet story about a baby sea otter who gets rescued after being separated from his mother in a storm. It features one of my favorite places in the world, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and one of my favorite animals in the world. How could I not enjoy it? I appreciated the subtle lesson in conservation as well.
Patrick Antenucci
Sep 25, 2013 Patrick Antenucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ch2-nsta
Good illustration work, the story is of an orphaned otter adopted by humans and a new mother otter and then, when ready, released back into the wild. Told through the otter's perspective of things is a nice touch.
Karlie Bevan
I liked this book a lot! I would recommend it for parents to read their children as a bedtime story.
Mouse Denehy
This story is very cute and it's great for showing how humans can assist animals in the wild. I like how the art style is very traditional and looks hand done with color pencil.
Scottsdale Public Library
A little otter's big journey, from rescue to release.

-- Monty K.
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Christina Smith
Christina Smith rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Evan
Evan rated it did not like it
Apr 28, 2012
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Mohammad
Mohammad rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2012
paeonia
paeonia rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Tammy Flanders
Tammy Flanders rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
Pinky
Pinky rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2013
De
De rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2017
Megan Marvel
Megan Marvel rated it really liked it
May 07, 2013
Shauna Yusko
Shauna Yusko rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ellen Levine's books have won many awards and honors, including the Jane Addams Peace Award. Although she enjoys writing both fiction and nonfiction, most of Ellen's books for young readers have been nonfiction. "Writing nonfiction lets me in behind the scenes of the story. I enjoy learning new things and meeting new people, even if they lived 200 years ago."

Ellen Levine was born in New York City
More about Ellen Levine...