Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #5)

Back from the Undead (The Bloodhound Files #5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,053 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Back from the Undead

DD Barant

Another work day, another case for the Bloodhound Files. But this time, Jace is truly stumped: How is she, a mere human, supposed to penetrate the dark heart of a child-trafficking ring of pire orphans—one that turns out to be part of a blood-farm operation, in the crime-ridden border city of Vancouver, British Columbia?

Jace is in over her head...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 336 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

Experiment BL626
CAUTION: Long Review

With over 90,000 words, Back From The Undead was one of the best books in the Bloodhound Files series. As usual, BFTU had the series' signature twists and turns that sometime become too complex to comprehend. Fortunately, the twists and turns in this novel did not lose me. BFTU had one of the more linear plots in the series, something I was glad to get in this series.

Bonus to boot was BFTU's moderate amount of angst, compared to book 4 Better Off Undead which was angst heavy...more
Cindy
Oh my beloved D.D., your "Bloodhound Files" just keep getting better and better and better... I found myself laughing so much through this book. Thank You! Our beloved Jace has finally connected sexually with David Cassius, and it rocks her world and his. But a message from the man she was brought to this universe to apprehend has her traveling with her bodyguard, Golem Chalie Aleph and NSA's resident shaman and WereBear Damon Eisfanger to Canada, which on this parallel Earth, is a nation hard t...more
Erin
Wow... Just wow. I can honestly say that this book blew me away. The fact that Mr. Barant can write a supernatural series while still maintaining a credible female lead and still have a twisty, edge of your seat mystery is absolutely astounding.

Book 5 of the Bloundhound Files starts rather innocently, with Jace doing the girly, agonizing over her new relationship with Cassius, while still trying to maintain her straightforward, no BS, cool chick image. She succeeds and, in an interesting twist (...more
Jenni Ebba
There was definitely something different in this book; something that differentiated it from the others in the series. I don't know what it was, but it made the book go by a little slower. I think it might have been the absence of our favorite pires- David Cassius and Gretchen.
The plot was still engaging and the characters intriguing, but Cassius and Gretchen add something to the mix that makes it a page turner. I loved how this novel was dealing with the problem of missing pire children though...more
Karyogini
This book, grrr I don't know. I love this series but this one hit a snag for me. :( I was 23% into the book and I lost interest. Which was really bizzarre. I guess it's because Cassius is MIA? Eh. I don't know.

Since I've gone through all the books I have on hand... I picked this one up again. Which is good. That's when Stoker comes back into the picture. And a bonus of T! (view spoiler)...more
Cher
Earlier books in the series were much better IMO, this was not by any means bad, just a little more convoluted in areas. When you deal with Japanese/Shinto Gods, it might have a tendency to do that. Otherwise the action scenes were good, some plot points tied up and new ones emerge. I still really like this series, it's different than your usual fare and I appreciate that, what with all the UF out there different is good. You never know what DD Barrant is going to throw your way in this world an...more
Natalie
This book was not as enjoyable as the previous ones, I still enjoyed it somewhat. The characters remain entertaining, there were some new plots and alliances hatched. Will be looking forward to the next one.
Mara
3 1\2 stars
I'm utterly confused by this book. All of the Bloodhound are convoluted and with a complex mythology/world-building, but I suspect this one went over the top.

I loved it was set in Vancouver, BC. I stayed there for some time and it was fun seeing an alternate version of it. I loved the humor, Jace and Charlie, Jace vs the local TSA.
I was confused by the plot, the gods, the tricksters, the ex and new lovers. I felt there was simply too much going on.

This series is truly unique (and st...more
Jed Moulton
As if things weren't complicated enough, Jace has decided to engage in an office romance with her boss. Not cool? well no it was actually very hot and sweaty and the neighbors complained. While Jace can deal with that what she is having problems with is Cassius has been sent on an assignment. Problem with working with Intelligence operatives, they usually cant tell you what they are up to. Oh well she can come up with something to keep her occupied. Like the fact that Aristotle Stroker wants to...more
Jessica
Continuing down the line of series I haven't read in over a year is D.D. Barant's The Bloohound Files. This is a very exciting series where the heroine is sucked into another world, much like her own except that all sorts of supernatural characters rule the day and night, and humans make up about 1% of the world population. Jace was brought over from her world to this one to track down and capture or kill a serial killer known as Aristotle Stoker. The only problem is, that the sorcerer who did t...more
Ana
Zeenat
Synopsis: NSA agent to the world of Thropirelem, has just hooked up with her boss, and now doesn't know what to do about it. He disappears on a mission and she takes a case to work with Aristotle Stoker. Yes the man she is supposed to apprehend so she can come back to her home dimension. Stoker informs her there are a bunch of missing Pire children, and she needs to help. She packs up herself, her partner enforcer Lem Charlie, and the nerdy Thrope Damon to the crime ridden Vancouver Canada.

Revi...more
Ami

Quick recap of the book for personal purpose ...

(view spoiler)...more
Teresa
Another fabulous book of the Bloodhound Files by DDB. :-) This time they have travelled to Vancouver, BC - Canada for their next case. Love this since I am a Canadian and BC is just next door! Loved the completely different world there and references to places I have personally been. Her and Charlie, once again, the banter between them always makes me laugh hysterically. I'm glad she finally has Stoker in custody, although, I have to say I feel a bit sorry for him. All he really longs for is an...more
Iris (Paranormal Cravings)
So I ended with book 4 that Cassius said: "I love you" and there was some sloppy lovemaking on the couch in his office. (not really something to look forward when you wished for some romantice the last 4 books) I hoped that in book 5, I would get to read more about Cassius and Jane, but alas ... there was little of Cassius. He didn't showed up again until the end in Jace's dreams. When Cassius finally did, the ending was a big cliffhanger. Other that I missed Cassius I also missed all the other...more
Margaret
This was not my favorite in the series. The resolution seemed to easy and so was kind of anticlimactic. At one point, Eisfanger disappeared, which drove me nuts. But Charlie is brilliant, as always. I think there's one more left in this series, so we'll see how it a all wraps up.
Stephanie F
I love this series. Jace's humor and sarcasm are a welcome relief in the sci-fi genre which sometimes takes itself to seriously. Charlie and Jace are my favorite crime fighting duo, the banter between the two has me laughing nonstop. Barants adding in aspects of the Shinto religion is a wonderful break from the usual Christian aspects to get in a lot of sci-fi stories. My only complain has to be that when Jace and Cassius finally get together( something I'd been hoping for awhile) we don't get m...more
Darcy
This is one of those series that I read for a secondary character, Charlie the lem, not a great reason as there is much I don't care for and find the books to be slow and hard to follow at times.

There was so classic Charlie in this book, times when he flips Jace so much crap, but then again she deserves it.

I liked the part with the missing pire kids, and looked forward to reading about that, but it ended up being such a minor plot point that it annoyed me. I hated the part with all the gods, ha...more
Amyiw
This was a good one and not way out there with alternate realities and time shifts like the 2nd and 3rd. I did have the complaint of missing Cassius. Although there was a little of him and some weird dreams, it just didn't complete it. It was kind of a cliffhanger, which never occurred in other books except for whether Jace will ever return. Now we have a Cassius cliffhanger with no story behind it really. There is where I docked the star.

The over all story is pretty good this time though not qu...more
Kerstin
This instalment was a little bit disappointing. The initial case Jace picked up about some missing pire children seemed interesting enough, but unfortunately it ended up being only a minor plot point. Instead there was a lot of Japanese mythology thrown in, mixed with magic, a bunch of gods, the Yakuza and to top it off, a Samurai. All up this made for a very convoluted story, of which I have to admit, I lost track at times.
Jace and Charlie, my favourite golem, still had some funny exchanges, an...more
Daffodil
Another fun read in The Bloodhound Files. Jace is kept hopping as she moves from one dangerous incident to another, with barely a chance to think. Once she has time to put all the pieces together, everything falls into place and events make sense.

One tiny thing bothered me though, Jace has been in Thropirelem for a while now and she knows that there are lots of mystical things happening in the background. (view spoiler)...more
Roielle
At the end I just got a head ache
Dr susan
I did not write a review the first read, since BFTU came out before I joined Goodreads, and I rated it as I worked on my shelves. I am gladly rereading it before starting #6. I do not want to be unfair to BFTU, but my brain has not been in a book reading mood due to lots of changes in my life. I enjoyed the second read, but did skim a little so that I could get to #6. Barant's world is so unusual that it sucks the reader in and traps her with Italian suited golems (yes, I have a crush on Charlie...more
Tori  smexys_sidekick
I give this a 3.5. While I enjoyed the plot, I found myself wanting more arc advancement.It seems to have stalled. The humor and fast pacing remains a constant though the romance that was introduced at the end of book 5 is almost non existent in here. We are let with not so much a cliffhanger but more a "duh duh DUH" that leads us into book 6's story line. I continue to enjoy Jace and Charlie's adventures and look forward to reading Undead To The World which is slated to release in November 2012...more
Lorraine
This book is just one from an awesome series, with great characters and a really good story line.
Jen
This was yet another great story by D.D. Barant. Jace's adventures in Thropirelem never fail to entertain. This time she, Charlie and Damon head up to Vancouver in search of missing pire kids, after Stoker asked for help. They get involved with the Yakuza and Triad, encounter friends and enemies from previous cases, and make new enemies. All in all, it made for a great read.
Anita
This story is set in a seedy version of Vancouver when Jace is lured by her arch-nemesis (and ticket home to her dimension) with information about a vampire child abduction ring. She and Charlie (a golem, her partner) go, and find some truth to the claim. While investigating, her former lover Tanaka, shows up to help her out. By the end, she has foiled a huge plan by the Japanese mafia and entertained a few gods.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
I am loving this series so far and Johanna Parker is doing a great job on the narration. Some good twists and turns in this one although it was sad to loose one of the characters but then I wonder if he was really lost....and I have to say the ending on this one....if the next book was not already out...I would be very upset about having to wait to find out what happens next....off to start book 6
Lisa
This book was enjoyable, but it seemed to drag at times and there didn't seem to be nearly as much witty humor as I am used to with this series. I really liked that Stoker and Tanaka were both back, especially with both of them actually showing their good side and working with Jace. I liked that the setting was away from the NSA, but missed Cassius and Gretchen.
  • Darklands (Deadtown, #4)
  • Deliverance (Mortal Path, #3)
  • Killing Rites (The Black Sun's Daughter, #4)
  • Wicked Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #5)
  • The Isis Collar (Blood Singer, #4)
  • Apocalypse to Go (Nola O'Grady, #3)
  • Kitty Steals the Show (Kitty Norville, #10)
  • Lies & Omens (Shadows Inquiries, #4)
  • Blue-Blooded Vamp (Sabina Kane, #5)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Under Suspicion (Underworld Detection Agency, #3)
  • Summoning the Night (Arcadia Bell, #2)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Stalking the Others (H&W Investigations, #4)
  • Magic Without Mercy (Allie Beckstrom, #8)
  • Precinct 13
  • Another Kind of Dead (Dreg City, #3)
Pseudonyms: Don DeBrandt & Donn Cortez

DD Barant lives in Vancouver, BC, and loves monsters, chocolate, animals, reading, comics and lying naked on the beach, while hating bullies, narrow-minded people, Sea Urchin Sushi and gluten. He has stated that D.D. Barant is a pseudonym, and that it is not the only pseudonym under which he writes.

More about D.D. Barant...
Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) Death Blows (The Bloodhound Files, #2) Killing Rocks (The Bloodhound Files, #3) Better Off Undead (The Bloodhound Files, #4) Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)

“Paranoia is just the bastard child of fear and good sense." (Charlie)

"Poor thing. Let's adopt it, give it a last name and raise it right." (Jace)

"You want to get it a puppy, too?"

"Sure. We'll call it Panic. It and little Paranoia can play together at the park and scare the hell out of all the other kids.”
31 likes
“Deep spirit scanning,” Eisfanger says. His voice has a strange resonance to it, like I’m hearing him through a bad phone connection. “Don’t worry, it’s completely safe. Well, mostly.”

Mostly?

“Side effects have been documented,” he admits. “In a very small percentage of cases. Less than two percent.”

“What kind of side effects?” Suddenly I’m feeling nauseous. Feels like the ants are crawling around inside me now, which is exactly as disturbing as it sounds.

“Memory loss. Synesthesia. And occasionally … vestigial growths.”

“So I could forget my own name, start smelling purple everywhere and have an extra nipple sprout from my forehead?”
6 likes