Start by marking “Conan the Avenger (Book 10)” as Want to Read:
Conan the Avenger (Book 10)

Conan the Avenger (Conan - The Lancer/Ace Editions #10)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,477 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"Peace had reigned in Aquilonia, but when his beloved Queen Zenobia is stolen before his very eyes, Conan, the great barbarian king, cannot rest until he saves her. And so the most stupendous hero of fantasy-adventure returns to the battlefield, matching his savage strength against the most monstrous forces of evil and doom."
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published 1968 by Ace (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Avenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Avenger

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. HowardThe Bloody Crown of Conan by Robert E. HowardThe Conquering Sword of Conan by Robert E. HowardRed Nails by Robert E. HowardThe Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard
Conan of Cimmeria
26th out of 45 books — 13 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickMarked by P.C. CastBetrayed by P.C. Cast
Only Because of the Cover
63rd out of 83 books — 42 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
This is a single story, set after Conan is king of Aquilonia. Zenobia, ex-slave girl & his queen, is kidnapped & he must go adventuring to save her. Lots of opportunities for him to hook up with old comrades & prove that he's not just a legend, but still has what it takes.

I didn't care for the cover art, especially his face, although the scene is actually a good one. The writing isn't as impressive as some of the other books, but all told it was a pretty good Conan story, especially
Greg
Mar 07, 2015 Greg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: conan
This was the first book I ever really read. I was 17 and all the reading I did before was skimming through school stuff that left be very bored and sleeping.
Then one day Johnny Treadway loans me this book ... oh my GOD!!!!!
It was like a light shined on me.. it was perfect for the 17 year old I was at the time.
When I grow up I wanna be this guy!!!
This started it all. The path to my reading and frankly my intellectualism. If it wasn't for this, I don't know who'd I be.
So rather than telling you ab
Rob
Apr 20, 2009 Rob rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Most of the 'add-ins' in this series by Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp at least try to match Howard's style. This, to me does not, nor does the next, Conan of Aquilonia. Of course, it's really a tale by Björn Nyberg, so I suppose that explains it. I rather wish it hadn't been included in this series, but published as a stand-alone.
Michael
Pierre Armel
Conan the Avenger should be read and enjoyed for what it is: fan fiction which was good enough to get published. It is a fun read in this sense, with Conan, now king of Aquilonia, leaving (temporarily) his throne for a rescue mission which will led him to the other side of the continent. On the way, a lot of encounters with foes and allies of previous stories make for an entertaining adventure (even though at some point you start wondering "Ok so which past book is going to be referenced in this ...more
Gabriel Wallis
Conan the Avenger (book 10) was an excellent read. After Queen Zenobia of Aquilonia gets kidnapped, King Conan does everything in his power to retrieve his bride and wage war on her captors. The book was very suspenseful and kept you wrapped up in the story. Looking forward to reading the next two Conan books, just to finish off the original series... and because I enjoy them.
Troy
This is your good old sword and sorcery story. Conan the Barbarian goes in search of his wife who has been taken by evil, mysterious creature. I've always loved the Conan stories even though you knew what was going to happen. this a nice afternoon read.
Vincent Darlage
There are many reasons to dislike this book - but the deux ex machina ending with Conan praying to his god, Crom, at the end (and Crom actually helping) is the foremost reason. The geography is screwed up, but the initial plot is kind of fun.
Vincent
It's amazing to me that people have no concept about these great books that preceded the movies. This book starts with Conan has a fully formed character and tells the story of his negotiations with a week king.
Nicholas Hunter
Contains "The Return of Conan" by Bjorn Nyberg and L. Sprague De Camp and part two of REH's "The Hyperborian Age", presumably included so they could put his name on the cover. Cover art by Frank Frazetta.
Charles
Howard had virtually nothing to do with this. The fiction is all pastiche. There is a reprint of part 2 of Howard's essay on the "Hyborian Age."

wally
conan and his mighty thews! hoo-rah! where have you gone mister conan, a nation turns its lonely eyes toward you...woo woo woo.
Ron
Hard to beat the original Conan. The character never dies... he just wanders off into unknown lands. Conan is forever.
Carl Timms
Jul 16, 2012 Carl Timms rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of heroic fantasy, Conan fans
My favourite Conan story, filled with terrific set pieces as Conan journeys for a showdown with his ultimate enemy, Thoth Amon.
Rich
All the original Conan's are great reads. Always different plots.
Peter
the Conan books were the first and the best big barbarian type books
Victoria Villalobos
Victoria Villalobos is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Mollie
Mollie added it
Jul 17, 2015
Amine  The First
Amine The First marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan the Valorous
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...

Conan - The Lancer/Ace Editions (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Conan (Book 1)
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Conan The Freebooter (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Wanderer (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Adventurer (Conan 5)
  • Conan the Buccaneer
  • Conan the Warrior (Book 7)
  • Conan: Conan the Usurper (Book 8)
  • Conan the Conqueror
  • Conan of Aquilonia (Book 11)
The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian (Conan the Cimmerian, #1) The Conquering Sword of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #3) Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2) The Bloody Crown of Conan (Conan the Cimmerian, #2) The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane