Sailor

Sailor

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Acclaimed novelist of The Kind One and screenwriter of such films as One False Move and The Gift, Tom Epperson brings the violence-soaked world of Cormac McCarthy’s No Country for Old Men and the heroism of Jack Schaefer’s Shane together to create an iconic action thriller for the twenty-first century.

Gina fell for the wrong guy. Joe came into her life promising her ev

352 pages
Published March 27th 2012 by Forge Books (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sailor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sailor

Heather
This novel has a very high body count. Unfortunately, some of the most interesting characters end up dead. The story is well-paced and the main character the "sailor" is interesting. The female lead, though, isn't a very sympathetic character and because she is the one in danger that the hero is trying to save, readers should really care about what happens to her. I ended up rooting for her son and not caring if she made it or not. It's a good read and very cinematic. I wouldn't be surprised if...more
Amy
Reviewed for Library Journal in the Feb. 15th, 2012 issue.

Library Journal
Gina Cicala and her young son, Luke, are between a rock and a hard place in this thriller by Epperson (The Kind One). Determined to escape the brutality of her mobster husband, she informed on him to the Feds. After entering witness protection, she and Luke were relocated to a small Oklahoma town. However, their hopes for a new beginning are dashed when a hit man shows up at their door and they realize they have been betray...more
Leslie Mesmer
I enjoyed this story. A woman on the run, a man in the wrong place at the wrong time, a helpful,friendly do-gooder, and lots of bad men.
Although the main characters try to keep ahead of the bad guys, they keep getting found.
That is my one of my 2 complaints.
First being the woman is found pretty quickly and never wonders how they are finding her so easily when she is randomly driving around.
Second one is Gray. The author doesn't really explain him very much. Trying for that mysterious guy b...more
Andrew
I liked this book. I found several of the characters to be pretty interesting. (Norman, Grey, Luke, etc., even a couple of the villains) I thought the storyline was pretty interesting and I wanted to find out what happened next. (Good sign)

However, I would stop short of highly recommending this book due to:
1) Body count
2) Enough with the C word already
3) I guessed that (view spoiler) I only missed it by 18 pages! I...more
Robert
This is the story of a woman on the run with her son in tow. She is running from her father in law, a mob boss, who is out for revenge. He wants her dead and he wants his grandson back. Then the woman runs into the sailor. Now this guy is, of course, not all that he says he is. A lot of action and mindless violence fill this book along with some real whacked out characters. It sort of reminded me of No Country For Old Men, another great novel. I really enjoyed it and I think if it sounds interes...more
dmsburns
Audio book. Very good. Kept My interest. About a man, Gray who met a Woman and her son when he offered to chAnge their tire. They were on the run from father in law and a corrupt US Marshall.
Denise Billings
The story had me in suspense all the way to the very last page. Good read. I was still thinking about it this morning after finishing it last night. Did they ever find out if.....? I won't spoil it for you! I'll look for more by Epperson. He also cowrote one of my favorite movies, One False Move. My hubby was in it. What's not to love?
John
Action story with a lot of murders, murderers, and black comedy. The hero, Gray, a troubled individual, runs into Gina and 10 yr old son who are fleeing from Mafia and a crooked US Marshall. The chase is on and bodies fly and fall while the bad guys succumb, and plenty of innocent onlookers. A good read.
Janet
A good story but a little uneven in its tone. Gray is a good main character/protagonist who hopefully will surface again in future novels. But the myriad bad guys were sometimes hard to keep track of and some of the bumbing antics of some of the bad guys seemed as odds with the violence in this book.
Penny
An excellent novel, kudos Mr. Epperson, I could hardly stand to set it down for any length of time whatsoever. Didn't want to go to bed or anything, just read. You are definitely going on my list of authors to watch!
Joyce
Oct 16, 2012 Joyce rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Too many characters, too many plot lines, too little focus and motivation. Lots of things I like in Suspense, but this didn't work for me
Amy
Herky jerky writing + flat characters + and a plot that hasn't even thought about developing by page 80 = did-not-finish shelf.
imsocrafty
Is it wrong that I wanted her to get whacked? I couldn't even finish listening to this one.
Mike Cavosie
Good story, but fuck, why so many sentence fragments? Which got really annoying.
Patrick
Well-drawn, enjoyable characters for this type of thriller.
Nick Wiens
Nick Wiens marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
James Alexander
James Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Gina
Gina added it
Mar 15, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Milantropio
Milantropio marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Kind One L.A. Noir Micro Victories: How to Crack the Code on Your Midlife Crisis by Harnessing the Power of Impulse Flying In the Face of Gravity: How to Break Free from a Negative Atmosphere and Live a Life of Abundance