Those Who Love Night

Those Who Love Night (Yudel Gordon #5)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  11 reviews
When Abigail Bukula, a young lawyer in the South African Justice Department, learns that the secret son of her aunt, who died in a massacre years ago, has been arrested by the Zimbabwean government, she races to his aid. She’s as determined as ever but perhaps a bit naive as well. Accused of being a part of the so-called Harare Seven, her cousin is being held as a politica...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Love Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Love Night

Tuck
a bit of a police/zimbabwean cia/lawyer procedural combined with south african history, mugabe freedom slash holocaust, and quirky plot of "big man" sexual traditions meeting modern age tribal mixing. about the plot though, too many BIG ASS HOLES and not enough lets-get-on-with-this-thing propulsion. interesting bits about zim prisons, inflation, south african humor and what it's like to drive a car in afria.

i had real problems with this goof ball book and it being so overwrought at times rolle...more
Danny
The first book in this series got rave reviews, so I thought I'd check out this one.

While it was definitely a change from Agatha Christie and P.D. James in some ways, in others it wasn't so far off. The bizarre romantic themes throughout reminded me of some love-lorn Christie characters. Or maybe just movies from the 1940s. I dunno.

The African politics, mostly modern (post-apartheid) South Africa and Mugabe's Zimbabwe, are an interesting setting for a mystery, though this isn't a typical mystery...more
Morenike Ayo-vaughan
A perfect combination of romance and mystery. You never see the twists and turns coming. I especially love how Wessel gives us clues in pieces, but we cannot even imagine how they all fit together. Enjoyed this book a lot!
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Abigail Bukula, prosecutor
SETTING: South Africa; Zimbabwe
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.25
WHY: Abigail Bukula is a lawyer in South Africa who is contacted by a Zimbabwean attorney to help in the release of 7 dissidents who have disappeared at the hands of the Central Intelligence Organization. She at first refuses, then reluctantly agrees since one of the captured is a cousin she never knew she had. Ebersohn does a good job of presenting the troubled political situation in Zimbabwe, but I...more
Monica
I really liked The October Killings, but found this disappointing. The setting was well done - vivid descriptions of life and events in South Africa and Zimbabwe. I liked the characters of Yudel, the prison psychologist, and his wife a lot. Where it fell apart for me was the way Abigail, a strong, intelligent woman, became a total ditz with men - jealous and unsure of herself with her husband, helplessly (well, almost) attracted to the dynamic head of the Zimbabwe Central Intelligence force.

It w...more
Kate
I was going to give this 2 stars because it was ok, but in hindsight it wasn't okay at all.

Authors, please don't give me an accomplished (by description) female lead that ends up being weak, silly, attracted to bad men in powerful positions that can buy her things, and entirely dependent on men for any sort of success.

Yay.
Gina
Engrossing mystery set in present day Zimbabwe. A successful South African government prosecutor, Abigail Bakula, is asked to assist her long lost cousin. He has been arrested for anti-government activities and has disappeared. She is helped in her quest by an older white South African friend and his wife.
Mark Levine
More novel than mystery.Deals with the abiguities of life-right wrong truth etc.Details governmental use of THE BIG LIE as perpetrated by dictatorships.
Linda
Intriguing situation in a grim and exotic setting (Zimbabwe) but ruined by soap opera-ish narrative. Ending is clunky, as if writer just gave out. Not so good.
William
Interesting setting of Zimbabwe. Good character development.
Edna
Liked it a lot--will read more from Wessel Ebersohn!
Delori
Delori marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Brendan Nicholls
Brendan Nicholls marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Ereneey
Ereneey marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Ashley Peter
Ashley Peter marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Brit
Brit marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Evelyn
Evelyn added it
May 30, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The October Killings The Classifier A Lonely Place to Die (Yudel Gordon, #1) The Top Prisoner of C-Max Divide the Night