Start by marking “Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home” as Want to Read:
Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home

Seababy: A Little Otter Returns Home

After a baby otter is separated from his mother during a storm, he washes up on shore alone and exhausted. A human rescues him and takes him to an aquarium where he's taught how to survive in the wild—lessons his own mother would have taught if they hadn't been separated. Seababy learns important tasks like diving, swimming, and eating, and before long he is well prepared ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Seababy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seababy

Sofia Davis
Sep 23, 2014 Sofia Davis rated it it was amazing
The picture book Seababy, A Little Otter Returns Home by Ellen Levine, tells the story of a baby otter who lives in the ocean with his mother. His mother took care of him by feeding him, playing with him, and cleaning him. One night his mother wrapped the baby otter in seaweed so he could sleep. Although, that night there was a huge storm, which separated the mother and baby from each other. The baby otter washed up to the shore, and he called for him mom but couldn't hear her call back. He even ...more
Mar 30, 2016 MaryJane rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, read-alouds, 2016
A cute read aloud. The book is greatly enhanced by the artwork of Jon Van Zyle, which is the main reason I gave it four stars. The adult reading this aloud to students has to do some discussion about animal rescue. I did not think that the text makes clear why the baby sea otter was taken to a sea mammal rescue facility. Not just anyone can pick up sea mammals. It is illegal under Marine Mammal Protection laws to disturb animals in the wild. There are some explanatory notes in the back of the bo ...more
Lauren Soich
Oct 16, 2015 Lauren Soich rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-choice
I guess this book was alright. It was not my favorite and I did not love it because I don't understand what it was trying to teach young kids. It shows an otter becoming an orphan and not caring about losing his mother and everything he knew. I know if it meant to be portraying what happens in ocean life, but it seems a little bit too morbid for kids that young to read it.
Simple text tells the story of a baby otter who becomes stranded on the beach when mom gets drifted away by a storm; humans come and rescue the baby otter and take him back to the aquarium where they nurse him and give him a surrogate mother to teach him the ways of otter life. He is then released back into the ocean, where he is automatically accepted into a family of otters. Based on true stories of the Monterey Bay Aquarium where they consistently rescue otters, “train” them, and set them fre ...more
Jul 26, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it
ages 3 and up

This book tells the story of a little otter that is separated from his mother and taken to an aquarium where he is matched with a foster otter mom and learns how to take care of himself. When he is big enough he is released back into the ocean and he makes new friends.

This would be good to use for a story time about sea animals or baby animals. It has some great lessons about how animals are cared for when they lose their moms.
Feb 27, 2013 Slytano rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I have no use for this book. To whom can this book be recommended? A baby otter becomes orphaned and does not grieve at all for his mother. Some scientists rescue him and give him a new mother, and then they take him from the new mother and put him back in the sea.

If I was a kid, I would be terrified that I was just going to be taken away from my mom all the time.

The art is oil and it is really good.
Edward Sullivan
May 05, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A baby sea otter is separated from his mother in a storm, then rescued by humans and placed in a rehabilitation center where an adoptive mom teaches the baby the skills needed to feed himself. Ending with his ocean release, he is last seen tethered in seaweed and fast asleep among a group of other otters. A good balance between naturalism and anthropomorphism.
Sep 23, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Read because my daughter said I HAD to read this book! A sweet story about a baby sea otter who gets rescued after being separated from his mother in a storm. It features one of my favorite places in the world, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and one of my favorite animals in the world. How could I not enjoy it? I appreciated the subtle lesson in conservation as well.
Kristen Sewell
Dec 10, 2013 Kristen Sewell rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
This story really conveys that all babies need care and attention. Even though the otter was not an animal, the humans still rescued and took care of it until it was ready to be on its' own in the wild. All things should be set free and children will learn that by reading this. The illustrations were pretty to look at this book as well.
Patrick Antenucci
Oct 13, 2013 Patrick Antenucci rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch2-nsta
Good illustration work, the story is of an orphaned otter adopted by humans and a new mother otter and then, when ready, released back into the wild. Told through the otter's perspective of things is a nice touch.
Mouse Denehy
Oct 13, 2013 Mouse Denehy rated it liked it
This story is very cute and it's great for showing how humans can assist animals in the wild. I like how the art style is very traditional and looks hand done with color pencil.
Karlie Bevan
Oct 04, 2013 Karlie Bevan rated it liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I liked this book a lot! I would recommend it for parents to read their children as a bedtime story.
Scottsdale Public Library
A little otter's big journey, from rescue to release.

-- Monty K.
Candace marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Sarah added it
Jul 26, 2016
Kassy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Suzy rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Maeve rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
Claire rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Sandra Pfeifer
Sandra Pfeifer marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Nayla added it
Dec 16, 2015
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Anna added it
Jul 01, 2015
Courtenay rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Elizabeth Bolden
Elizabeth Bolden rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Ellen Levine's books have won many awards and honors, including the Jane Addams Peace Award. Although she enjoys writing both fiction and nonfiction, most of Ellen's books for young readers have been nonfiction. "Writing nonfiction lets me in behind the scenes of the story. I enjoy learning new things and meeting new people, even if they lived 200 years ago."

Ellen Levine was born in New York City
More about Ellen Levine...