Start by marking “The Living End: A Memoir of Forgetting and Forgiving” as Want to Read:
The Living End: A Memoir of Forgetting and Forgiving

The Living End: A Memoir of Forgetting and Forgiving

The Living End is a tribute to an unforgettable woman, and a testimonyto the way a disease can awaken an urgent desire for love and forgiveness.Told withsparkling wit and warmth, The Living Endwill resonate with families coping with Alzheimer's, and any reader looking for hope and inspiration.

Robert Leleux’s grandmother JoAnn was a steel magnolia, an elegant and devastatin
Published January 17th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Living End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living End

Mar 02, 2012 Bookclubcheerleader rated it it was amazing
Top 10 Things You Can Learn From Reading Robert Leleux’s Latest Memoir, The Living End

Many of us have friends or family who have been diminished by Alzheimer’s. And most of us believe that having your mind fail you would be a fate worse than death. OK. Be honest. How many of you have made this kind of pact with your spouse, “Honey, if that ever happens to me, just shoot me.”? This seems to be especially important to those in academia or the literary world—where being intelligent is what we appea
William Torgerson
Apr 12, 2012 William Torgerson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-met-the-author
Robert Leleux is funny and smart. He's turned his attention to a hilarious character of a lady: his grandmother.

I'm a native Hoosier (means I'm from Indiana) and married to a Southerner. I enjoyed Robert's assessment here:

"People are always resistant to this idea, but Texans and New Yorkers have a lot in common. In both places, personalities are bred for size and splash. Needless to say, size and splash aren't of top concern to your typical, tight-lipped Hoosier." (112)

And here's a memorable sa
Kelley Tackett
Feb 28, 2012 Kelley Tackett rated it really liked it
wonderful story.
George Ilsley
Nov 29, 2013 George Ilsley rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, biography
Obviously heartfelt, but I kept feeling something was missing, even though the topic is one of almost universal experience (certainly well withing the range of my current experience).

Surgery is always risky, and especially for older patients. It is commonly known that many do not recover from the anesthetic (although apparently not that commonly known). I wondered if the grandmother's impulsive decision for surgery was actually one of the first signs of the rational mind wandering off.

Of course
Joanne  Clarke Gunter
This is a short sweet memoir about the author's feisty and adored grandmother's descent into the abyss that is Alzheimer's disease. It is also the story of an estranged family coming together to care for the grandmother and the healing of long-standing family rifts.

This is a very quick read and does provide some insight into one possible benefit of Alzheimer's disease: the forgetting of so many past wrongs by those who can no longer remember them and the forgiving of so many past wrongs by those
Richard Kramer
Apr 30, 2012 Richard Kramer rated it it was amazing
A moving and somehow hilarious memoir about a man's beloved grandmother Joanne sliding into the great
forgetting of Alzheimer's. What makes it soar is the real story, which is how the author's mother, bewigged, bejewelled, overly-married, long estranged from her own mother, re-enters the picture and finds the connection she has always wanted with Joanne and been too proud to ask for. Leleux sees the illness as a strange gift that alters the forgive-forget polarity into one of forget-forgive. This
Amy Hearth
Sep 24, 2012 Amy Hearth rated it it was amazing
This is a short memoir that will stay with you forever. The topic is a difficult one - Alzheimer's - but in many ways the tragedy of that disease takes a backseat to the real story, which concerns a fractured family, proud and feisty Texas women (are there any other kind?), and, most importantly, love. This book could so easily have turned into a heap of sentimentality or maudlin prose, but it does not. In fact, it gets better as it goes on, with some truly thoughtful and memorable reflections n ...more
My mother could have been described as a steel magnolia. It was necessary for her to move into my home for a period of four years. Then, as I was no longer able to care for her physical needs, she moved to a private assisted living home 1.1 miles from my home. This book was so familiar - it made me laugh & cry. I do not care for using "Alzheimer's " as a diagnosis/description for all dementia, but I liked this book. I could have written most of it myself.
I recommend this as a Good Read for a
Jun 02, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it
Leleux's memoir of the time he spent with his grandmother both before and after Alzheimer's disease is flat-out beautiful. He's witty and wry, snarky and spiritual, loving and loved. His trenchant observations are sprinkled with poetry and classical allusions and New York sass. I loved JoAnn, I loved learning about Leleux's dysfunctional but incredible family.

I want to read his other book right away, and I hope he's writing something else soon. 4.5 stars
Jul 30, 2012 John rated it liked it
Author keeps focus in this small book (125 pages and could fit easily in a purse or pocket); adding the story of his mother-in-law, who does not have Alzheimer's herself, enhanced things, rather than padded them. Recommended especially for families of Alzheimer's patients, although the writing quality makes it a good read in general.
Apr 07, 2015 Penny rated it it was amazing
I expected to learn about living with and loving an Alzheimer's patient. And I did; but I also read a lot about life, family, and love in general. It was interesting to hear the author's comparison of his grandmother's decline with Alzheimer's vs his mother-in-law's decline from a stroke.

I thought this would be a heavy read; but I found myself chuckling at times. I recommend the book!
Dec 02, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Interesting book that had me laughimg out loud at some points, simply because I am going through some of the some issues with a beloved grandmother right now and sometimes you just hae to laugh. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the ARC.
Apr 24, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Just as delightful as his first book. LeLeux contemplates the meaning of identity and how letting go of painful memories (actually losing them in the case of his grandmother) can bring peace and happiness. A reminder that your biography is not your identity.
Jasmine Hale
Dec 27, 2014 Jasmine Hale rated it really liked it
Bit funny, very emotional book. It definetly teaches you to life in the moment and appreciate every minute you have with everyone you are never certain when you will lose them or when something might Happen that will change them mentality.
Jan 27, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing
One of the most tender memoirs I've read in a long time. The wit and humor, mixed with Mr. Leleux truth is amazing. Love this book.
Susan Cushman
Aug 06, 2012 Susan Cushman rated it really liked it
Awesome book about living and loving family members with Alzheimer's (my mother has it).... Terrific read!
Leslie Nicoll
Leslie Nicoll rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Melody rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Ron Klausner
Ron Klausner rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
Kelly rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Angie rated it really liked it
May 21, 2012
Dana rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2012
Liz rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2014
Crystal rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Sally rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Tammy Strobel
Tammy Strobel rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Rosalind Reisner
Rosalind Reisner rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Jessica rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2013
Susanna Suchak
Susanna Suchak rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Linda Holmes
Linda Holmes rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Remember Joan: An Alzheimer's Story
  • Changing the Way We Die: Compassionate End of Life Care and The Hospice Movement
  • Rich in Years: Finding Peace and Purpose in a Long Life
  • I Will Never Forget: A Daughter's Story of Her Mother's Arduous and Humorous Journey Through Dementia
  • Pale Girl Speaks: A Year Uncovered
  • Jackson's Pond, Texas
  • The Last Stop
  • Dream of Me
  • All the Dancing Birds
  • Surface Rights
  • Imperfect Endings: A Daughter's Tale of Life and Death
  • Pioneer Doctor: The Story of a Woman's Work
  • The Perfect Scandal (Scandal, #3)
  • Ben Franklin For Beginners
  • Fathom Lines
  • Keeping It Civil: The Case of the Pre-nup and the Porsche & Other True Accounts from the Files of a Family Lawyer
  • The Greatest Speech, Ever: The Remarkable Story of Abraham Lincoln and His Gettysburg Address
  • The Jewelry Maker's Design Book: An Alchemy of Objects