Start by marking “The Song of the Ape: Understanding the Languages of Chimpanzees” as Want to Read:
The Song of the Ape: Understanding the Languages of Chimpanzees

The Song of the Ape: Understanding the Languages of Chimpanzees

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
An absorbing investigation of chimpanzee language and communication by a young primatologist

While working as a zookeeper with a group of semi-wild chimpanzees living on an island, primatologist Andrew Halloran witnessed an event that would cause him to become fascinated with how chimpanzees communicate complex information and ideas to one another. The group he was working
288 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about The Song of the Ape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song of the Ape

Dawn
Mar 14, 2012 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is truly a divide in this county, and I'm not talking about red states and blue states... There is a growing abyss between people who understand the unique magnificence of chimpanzees as chimpanzees, and those who continue to seek to humanize the apes for the mere benefit that accrues to themselves.

The Song of the Ape brought this realization home to me, with a figurative slap on the back by Higgy, the alpha male who takes center stage for most of Halloran's story. (If there is any doubt a
Chiara
Why it got more than two stars: the readability. I really enjoyed the stories that were told, learning about the relationships between all of the chimps in this animal sanctuary. It was just like a story.

Why it got less than four stars: It was just like a story. I was under the impression, when I picked this book up, that it would be a scientific examination of the language of chimps. The author referenced, near the start, his research into spectral analysis of their calls - which doesn't get ta
Cheryl
Jul 11, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very disappointing. I studied primate behavior as an undergraduate, and have had an interest in new developments in the field. Halloran, while criticizing other studies for being unscientific (mainly those about apes acquiring human sign language) offers only anecdotal incidents which are inadequately described. In the field of primate behavior, careful description is a necessity, as description forms the data that provides possibilities for understanding and theoretical models.

Ev
Ron Davidson
Apr 30, 2012 Ron Davidson rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for chimpanzee stories, but this one was especially good -- An overview of real chimpanzee "language," (i.e., how they communicate) as examined through the lives of the chimps and their "communities." The author does a great job in explicating the characters of the individual chimpanzees without reducing them to a caricature of being just another furry quasi-human, as others tend to do. (Koko the gorilla is the author's prime example.) Reading this book, I learned a bit about chimpa ...more
Phyllis
Jun 03, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
"The Song of the Ape" is an engrossing, well-written story that delves into the author's inspiration to study primates, unsuccessful historical attempts to teach chimpanzees various human languages, and current studies of chimps in captivity and the wild. Each story about the five main chimps, including the great Little Mama and Higgy to Elgin, Gin, and Cindy, is fascinatingly presented in parallel to stories about chimps being observed in Tanzania and other locations. This is not a stuffy, acad ...more
Jonah
Things I did NOT like about this book:

-Presentation of the "window" theory of the language acquisition in humans, which has been shown to be false. Halloran spends quite a while explaining the idea that humans have to learn language by a certain age or else never can, an idea often presented along with the case history he presents- one of a girl who was locked up in one room for the first twelve years of her life, with minimal human interaction, and who was subsequently unable to learn language.
Ardene
Dec 10, 2012 Ardene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012, apes
This non-fiction book was highly readable, and I think Halloran’s thesis that in trying to teach our ape cousins to speak human we’re making a mistake (we should be trying to understand, in his case, chimpanzee instead) is an intriguing and, perhaps, a valid one. This book avoids the pitfall of trying to cram too much history and scientific argument down our throats and tells wonderful stories instead.

Some of the stories are about the history of scientists trying to teach apes (gorillas, chimps
Suzanne Auckerman
Jan 24, 2014 Suzanne Auckerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but a little to hard at first. When it begins, it is a narrative by a animal keeper of chimps in an animal park in Florida. But he was actually a PhD candidate studying chimp language and his findings are quite remarkable. And as the stories of the different chimps unfold, I was completely sucked in. The worse part is knowing what so many chimps have suffered as experimental animals, as exotic pets, circus animals.
Susan
Aug 04, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He finally admitted that he mistrusts all research now but his own, which made him less of a jerk. The stories of the various chimp's lives was very interesting. And he is correct that it is much more exciting to look at them in their own culture than trying to make them fit ours.
Aaron
Aug 11, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
Rather than try to teach chimps a human language, this book focuses on observing their language use, including how ones who failed to learn as infants try to cope with learning their own language as adults. Halloran is an astute observer and thinker and this book has much to teach us about chimps and ourselves.
Elaine
Apr 29, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a great book. I personally worked with Hank's group in Chicago. A great book for those who are unaware of the issues surrounding captive chimps in the United States.
Alexandra Joy
May 06, 2012 Alexandra Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for those seeking to learn about chimpanzee vocal communication.
Ana Maria
Ana Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Daniel Greenhalgh
Daniel Greenhalgh rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Vincent Howl
Vincent Howl rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Elisheva Rina
Elisheva Rina rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Katie Gates
Katie Gates marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Sara Cooper
Sara Cooper rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Ike Sharpless
Ike Sharpless marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Elvira
Elvira marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015