Start by marking “Moo Hoo” as Want to Read:
Moo Hoo

Moo Hoo

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  201 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Cow and Owl are best friends. Moo Hoo! They do everything together, like make music. Two Coo! But when a stranger arrives—Roo New!—the two friends must decide whether their group can expand to form a New True Crew. Moo Hoo features the same unique and cleverly simple storytelling framework that fans loved in its companion book, Ribbit Rabbit, and readers will enjoy watchin ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Walker Childrens (first published April 1st 2012)

Nick
A cute and silly rhyming picture book. The rhymes and words are simple enough for very young children, but some of it turns into a bit of a tongue-twister, so parents or others who want to read it aloud may have to warm up their tongues a bit first.
The sounds of the two central characters play off against activities involving things that rhyme with "moo" or "hoo," and the plot complication is when a third character tries to join their fun, a kanga-roo. Yes, moo, hoo and roo rhymes, which get tot
Priscilla Schelling
Wow! I've never read/heard a book go over phonetic sounds the way this book does. We used this book in class, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Rhyming sounds all the way through with sweet story to top it off. Insightful writing! I would use this in a first or second grade class to reinforce phonetical sounds. Discussion with teacher is beneficial afterwards
Jenna
Great book for phonics! At first, I found this book obnoxious. Though during the second read aloud with it, I understood why it would be so great for a phonics lesson. Children learn how to decipher the oo sound with different spellings. If the story is read aloud correctly it is rather inviting and comical.
Nicole C
Read this one with my daughter at the library. She's 4 1/2 and enjoys the rhyming words and simple, repetitive text. When we brought it home, she asked if she could read it with me. Any book she WANTS to try and read with me is a good book!
Cheryl Kays
This is a great book that helps students with phonemic awareness. Students will find Moo and Hoo to be a funny set of friends that accept a new friend in their group. I would use this in a first or second grade classroom.
Pamela Cockerell
accepting new friends and experiences. a good book to use for phonics, has the “oo" sound and words that dont have "oo" but still make the sound. would be hard for early readers but would make for a good read aloud.
Roben
Fun rhyming book about friendship for the PreK crowd. Owl and Cow are best friends. When Kangaroo comes along and wants to play, they ignore him. At first. But then they realize that three friends can have just as much fun as two! All of this is told with words that rhyme with Moo, Hoo, and Roo. Very clever, lots of fun. The granddaughter laughed out loud while we were reading this one. It would be good for a PreK story time about cows, owls, kangaroos or friends. We read it on Cow Appreciation ...more
Eric Summers
Good book for phonics practice with Kindergarteners and maybe some first graders. Simple story with nice illustrations about a cow and an owl who are friends who meet a Kangaroo who wants to be friends with them as well. At first they reject him, but they all soon work it out.
Samantha
This is such a sweet book about friendship and meeting new people. It's also a great book for phonics with its clever rhyming throughout the story. Must buy.
Samantha
Great for a phonics lesson! A book about about animal friends and acceptance. Cow and Owl become friends with Roo. Woo Hoo! 3 is better than 2!
Liz
This is a really cute book for emergent readers and a beginning phonics plan. Rhyming words and super illustrations.
Vanessa Easley
This is a book that will make students laugh and keep them engaged. Great to use to help with rhyming and phonics!
Mary
Cute and silly sorry about accepting new friends. Good for rhymes, basic phonics and simple storytelling.
Chelsey Combs
This is a cute book for primary grades. Can easily incorporate phonics lessons.
Bonnie
A story about friendship and discovering that three might be better than two.
Grg
The story is nothing special but I could look at Lowery's art all day.
Amy
This would be a great book for a phonics lesson on the double o sound.
Nunupumpum38gmail.com
I like the book because it is funny
Hope
Ever wonder how many ways you can make the /ü/ sound? Me either, but after reading this book, I am thinking it could be done pretty easily. One way is to read the story, then have the class split up into 4 or 5 groups, read it again, having each of them in the group to write down the word they hear with the /ü/ sound. Then at the end each group writes out what words they heard, using the anchor chart you have torn off and placed on their table, along with markers.
Heidi
I got this book better than I did "Ribbit Rabbit" and thus enjoyed it more. (Loved their appearance in this, though!) I got the humor in this more easily, and really enjoyed it. Seemed a bit toddler-ish, but I didn't mind. Again, a different way to deal with a "behavioral" issue (in this case letting in friends in an already established group). I really like that and it's very easy for kids to understand.
Samantha Weatherford
This book has the purpose of teaching phonics in its proper context. Many words do not follow set phonics rules, and kids need to learn as they are reading where these anomalies occur. This book is extremely simple, and could be used as en excellent tool to teach sounds. The book also has a meaning, because the owl and the cow learn to accept a new friend! Love this book!
Amanda Harrison
Moo hoo is a cute book that is well suited to. Il tipple read alouds. I would use this book with kinders or first grade, making sure to leave time to read it twice, the second time with students helping. This book is not just a phonics lesson, but also a good way to teach about friendship. This book could prep the class for how to welcome a new student.
Wooden Horse
I was not expecting such a difficult tongue twister! I had to slow way down by the time I got to the third spread and then Roo came into the story and the three year old listener realized how difficult a time I was having and started laughing hysterically at the faces I was making trying to get the proper words to come out. Quite a lot of fun!
Viv
Always enjoyed Candace Ryan's books. This would be a fun book to introduce to your little ones about friendship and expanding their friend circle. Simple texts and cute & fun illustrations make it a fun read-aloud to kids. If I were to use it for storytime, I would consider have kids sound out the Who, moo, and roo. It would be fun!
Library
A cute story about friendship full of rhymes. Owl (Hoo) and Cow (Moo) meet Kangaroo but at first ignore him. Later they search for him to be a friend. After each narration of action, I liked the single rhyme phrase to reiterate it. Example: MOO HOO GLUE SHOE for the page that they fix a broken toy.
T Crockett
I picked this up thinking it might be good to use with a beginner reader, but it didn't hold the interest of the 4 yr old or 2 yr old. Both got up to do different things (which they don't usually do during books). It was a hard book to read aloud, so this one's going straight back to the library.
Samantha
Fun rhyming tale of an unlikely friendship. Cow and Owl are the best of friends, but when Kangaroo tries to join their group he's not welcome. In the end, Cow and Owl seek Kangaroo out and they all find that they prefer the company of a trio over a duo. Fun read aloud for preschoolers.
Vicki
Loved the idea of this book, once again great opportunity to talk about rhyming words, but this story didn't really hold the attention of the group. Cute expressive illustrations of cow, owl, and kangaroo, with a nice lesson on friendship. Maybe a better choice for pre-school group??
Whitney Zollman
This is a cute book about two best friends who do everything together. They are forced to make a decision if they want to allow any other friend in their group. This would be a great book to teach about friendship and being open to making new friends.
Carlee
This book was used to teach a phonics strategy. It deals with the "oo" sound and all the ways it is made up. Great for teaching a lesson on phonics. Also a good lesson of acceptance and that you can have more than one best friend inside the story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Dog in Boots
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids
  • Bats at the Beach
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Tell the Truth, B.B. Wolf
  • Come On, Rain!
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
Candace Ryan lives and works in a Los Angeles-based toy museum curated by her 5 year-old son. She tinkers with words when she can find her pen in a pile of robots and Japanese monsters.

As head of her department, Candace is in charge of cataloging and organizing the museum’s extensive collection of owl, bat, and octopus toys. It’s not as easy as it sounds, but it sure is rewarding.

In her dwindlin
More about Candace Ryan...
Ribbit Rabbit Animal House Ewe and Aye Zoo Zoom!