Start by marking “Tiassa” as Want to Read:
Tiassa

Tiassa (Vlad Taltos #13)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,803 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
Once, Vlad Taltos knew his trade: he killed people for a living. That skill got him his foothold in House Jhereg, running the rackets for a chunk of urban Adrilankha. Later, things happened that left Vlad a changed man, on the run from the Jhereg and frequently involved in the affairs of Dragonlords, Empresses, and even Jenoine. Far more involved than the average human.

Mea
Published April 10th 2012 by Tor Books (first published March 17th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tiassa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiassa

Brad
Jun 16, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was rather interesting in that the main thread of the tale was in a little god-made figurine with incidental characters handling it throughout a space of ten years, including a young Vlad, an older Cawti, his estranged wife, and, oddly enough, the Captain of the Phoenix Guards, of which apparently has his own series, so I just got to enjoy *his* strong voice, which was a pleasure and quite different from either Vlad's or Cawti's.

Suffice to say, strange things are afoot. There could be a ho
Stefan
Feb 03, 2011 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tiassa is the thirteenth Vlad Taltos novel by Steven Brust, and counting Brokedown Palace and the Khaavren Romances, the nineteenth book to date set in Dragaera. Jo Walton has written an excellent series of blog postst about the series so far so I won’t waste your time trying to summarize this amazing series and instead direct you to Jo’s spoiler-free introduction just in case you’re new to Dragaera.

Speaking of newcomers: while I think Tiassa is a wonderful addition to the series, I disagree wit
Carol.
Mar 16, 2011 Carol. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Taltos fans, Vlad fans
Perhaps three and a half stars~

Initial thoughts: good, but not one of his best. The novel is more like four vignettes; a short story by Devera, a story about an elaborate distraction and con done during the days when Vlad was engaged with Cawti, an incident involving the Jenoine that involves Khaavren, Cawit, Daro and Norathar and another story that is more "current," when he meets Khaavren. The characters are well done as always, but the tiassa as object remains a mystery. Otherwise, Tiassa cou
Tim Hicks
Oct 21, 2011 Tim Hicks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good but not great. You'll miss a lot if you haven't read most of the other Taltos books, and you might be confused if you haven't read at least one of the Phoenix Guards series. Especially since it takes a while to realize that the book's timeline isn't linear. Characters X and Y will sound familiar, and if you haven't been keeping up you might not realize that it's because you HAVE met them before.

The overall world structure is getting a bit of what Doctor Who would call "wibbly wobbly, timey
Hallie
Dec 28, 2016 Hallie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
... and now we're entering the Lost Time of not-reading (books in print) and when did I start reading again, and did I write those books down as read in May and June purely as I picked them off the floor beside the bed, rather than any kind of approximation of actual reading order?

I bought this on the 30th of March, the day I finished reading Iorich, my mother went into hospital on the 4th of April and died on the 17th of April.. I met Farah and Edward in town on the 27th of May and went into a
Jamie Collins
Dec 29, 2012 Jamie Collins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
1.5 stars. I did finish it, but it's my least favorite of all the Vlad Taltos novels. From reading other reviews, I take it that this one is a crossover with Brust’s other series, the Khaavren Romances, which I have not read, and that likely explains my discontent with the latter two-thirds of the book.

It began well enough with one of Vlad’s usual capers, which I enjoyed despite the fact that Cawti was in it (I’ve never liked Cawti). Then the style of the story changed, and I sighed, figuring th
Tony
May 29, 2011 Tony rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed at the end of this book. Only because I was hoping for some dialogue with Lady Teldra. That is it. That is the most critical I can be about a Vlad book.

I should add at this point that I have loved every single Vlad book and will tell anyone stupid enough to mention fantasy books near me that Steven Brust is one of the best and yet under-rated authors around. There is just something about the way he writes that get into my head almost without me reading. I am not a fast reader
Michael Pryor
Aug 22, 2016 Michael Pryor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crafty, surprising, satisfying.
Aaron
Mar 31, 2017 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a longtime Brust reader, I loved seeing Vlad and Khaavren together. I like how the second section brings most of the major female characters together. But I didn't understand what the silver tiassa did, until I read someone else's explanation.
Random
May 16, 2011 Random rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly Disappointed.

Two books ago (Jhegaala), I wrote one of my first reviews on this site. I was slightly disappointed with the book. I still found Vlad entertaining, but coming after 3 solid books (Dragon, Issola, and Dzur), the book just fell short. Not enough action, not enough stakes, and unfortunately, a disappointing novel.

One book ago (Iorich), I finished the book and was very disappointed. So disappointed in fact, that I just gave the book a rating and didn't bother to write anything. W
Nathan Trachta
Jul 03, 2011 Nathan Trachta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Brust’s Dragaera books have been a special love more me; Vlad I’ve loved since the beginning; the directness, the humor, and Vlad’s honor, with its ever so slight twist; what’s not to love. Then Mr. Brust added to his Dragaera books by bringing us the Khaavren Romances. Rather than the direct first person accounts that Vlad has, the Khaavren Romances are Dumasian; meaning our author goes to extravagant efforts to stretch things out almost as long as he could, an excellent counter point to Vl ...more
***Dave Hill
Apr 04, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
REREAD (Sep 2014)

Not much changing my mind, though I found myself very much appreciating the increased incorporation of the Khaavren characters into the Vladverse. Overall, good stuff.

=========

ORIGINAL REVIEW (Apr 2011)

For starters, I liked this book. What's not to like? There's some classic Vlad action (back in classic Vlad timeline). There's some Cawti/Norathar bits. There are gods. And Devera. There's (a lot of) Paarfi-written elegance (including Paarfi writing Vlad, which is worth the price
Jonathan Lupa
Oct 24, 2011 Jonathan Lupa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes! Usually Brust books instantly fall in my 'best books evah' category, but I had some problems with this one- actually 3.

1. The timeline jumps around aggressively. I mean, once I finished the last page, I strung it all back together, and just didn't see what the hell was going on. Brust has a habit of kind of thematically writing his books, and this one probably follows a style or theme that I am simply unfamiliar with, however, regardless of the reasoning, I didn't care for that.

2. He slip
Contrarius
May 09, 2012 Contrarius rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This one isn't really a novel, but more like a few short stories (a couple of which are quite confusing, really) and vignettes thrown together with a silver figurine holding the threads together. Hmmm, dunno what to think of it. I would probably have more coherent thoughts about it if I were more awake, I suppose. The theme here, relating to the House Tiassa, should be inspiration -- not sure I'm really getting that out of the story, though. What I did get was irritation from the prose style in ...more
Maša
There is a small silver figurine that is a subject of much mystery in all of the 4 short stories that make up this book. Two of our major players - Vlad and Khaavreen - meet, and there is much talk, and wit.

.The good: I adore this books. They are a blend of fantasy, thought exercises, and experiments in writing. The characters are engaging, the humour and action blend together flawlessly.
It was particularly interesting to see how old fashioned Khavreen reacted to impertinent Vlad. Also, it was
Geoff Paulson
Mar 30, 2011 Geoff Paulson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate love letter to his loyal readers. Quite a bit of fan service, but after over a quarter of a century of writing, Brust deserves it.

Bringing together so many of the elements of his writing and finally uniting his disparate works together really made me think about my history with his books. I've been reading his work for over half my life now. This is true for authors like Tolkien and Lewis, but unlike them, Brust is still writing new material that I'm able to follow. That I've been f
Jenn
Apr 07, 2011 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, this is not anywhere near my favorite book of Brust, even though it is the 13th in the Vlad series. I loved all 12 of the ones before, but this one should not say a Vlad Taltos novel, it should be in the Khaavren Romances if anywhere.
I love Brust, so I am not going to trash this book, let me just say that with 60 pages left, I just could not give it any more and I did try.
Jenn

I am so sorry...... I love your work and never out of any of your novels have I ever been bored. I will still be a lo
Vaun Murphrey
Jan 16, 2016 Vaun Murphrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael
Feb 04, 2015 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy, 2015
Another fairly good Vlad Taltos book. This one was more of 3 short stories with a few links between them.

It was rather enjoyable, but there were times it felt it dragged just a little bit.

I don't really have much to say about this. It provides some background to some things, and the interlude showed something that has been waiting for explanation for quite a while.
Mike
Jan 23, 2017 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read getting ready to read Hawk.

I enjoyed this MUCH more than what I remember of the first time. I think I hadn't gotten through all the Paarfi novels, so the Khaavren/Daro scenes make much more sense. But, I just loved the Cawti developments. I don't remember any of that.

This book, even more than Athrya, is about what does Vlad look like from outside his own head. I found it fascinating.
Leliel Mitsukai
May 18, 2017 Leliel Mitsukai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, highfantasy
An excellent read, especially if you are already familiar with some of Vlad's other escapades. I particularly enjoyed the way Khaavren's section was written with dry humor blended into pretentious formality.

I did find the ending a bit unfulfilling, though, which is keeping me from awarding a full 5 stars.
Chelsea Haller
May 13, 2011 Chelsea Haller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest of Vlad Taltos books has finally reached our hands and if my husband and mine’s reactions are anything to go off of… it is about time! We love Steven Brust’s style of writing due to the fact the characters are not stock characters. Vlad is so much more than just a character, he has true emotions along with a wit that seems to get him into trouble one way or another. But, Mr. Brust also does not make the struggles of the characters abstract; we know exactly what is going on with the ch ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
This is the 13th novel directly in the Vlad Taltos series and when you include the Khaavren Romances and the short stories set in Dragaera there are over 20 works to date. I have been reading them since Jhereg came out in 1983 and still find them amazing stories to read. In fact Jhereg is the first book that I can recall purchasing for myself, and attribute it and Brust's writings for much of my love and enjoyment of reading. If you are not familiar with Vlad Taltos and his familiar Loiosh you a ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
Chy
Apr 21, 2011 Chy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another maiden re-read voyage! That makes sense, right?

Anyway, I've now made it all the way through all the currently published novels of the core Vlad series. I may have to read Brokedown Palace again. And since the last POV section of this novel gave me a taste for how I think The Phoenix Guards and those books are narrated, I may be able to go read them now. (It's a series set in the same world as the Vlad books, but hundreds [I think] of years before; there are a few of the same characters,
Ea Solinas
Apr 30, 2011 Ea Solinas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In case you care, I am usually pretty good at following complex, tangled-up narratives. But Steven Brust's latest Vlad Taltos fantasy, "Tiassa" had me scrambling back to the book's beginning multiple times. It has some deeply fascinating moments, solid action and some deliciously warped humor, but the narrative often feels like we're lost in a maze.

Several years in the past, Vlad became involved in a peculiar plot that involved spell-marked coins, a mysterious highwayman known as the Blue Fox, a
Sasha Twyst
Feb 22, 2017 Sasha Twyst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A solid entry, but towards the end, the author switches voice between the series usual narrator, Vlad Taltos, and another of the author's characters, a historical novelist who uses a much more flowery style of speech. While both have their merits, the unexpected shift does have a jarring effect.

The story takes place in three to four different time periods, one of which transcends our understanding of linear, moment by moment progression. That was interesting, but it effectively makes this three
Mmyoung
May 08, 2011 Mmyoung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to write a review of Tiassa because I will not know myself exactly what I think of it until I have read it at least 3 or 4 more times. And even after those re-readings I suspect that I would find it difficult to give the book an exact grade.

So, first things first.

Did I enjoy Tiassa?

Yes indeed.

Did Tiassa live up to your expectations?

It is difficult to answer that question because I have learned to have few expectations of any of Brust's books except that the time and effort spent
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Solid, well-written fantasy. My main complaint is that much of the dialogue didn't come with speech tags, so it was pretty easy to lose the thread of who was speaking. (And, in fact, there is at least one instance in the book where the author did so!) The book was a bit confusing, chronologically, as the segments take place at different times. Not as good as Iorich (the previous book in the series), IMO, but a reasonably entertaining read.

This part is a completely spoilertastic summary, mostly f
Jen
Nov 21, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought after reading Tiassa (Vlad Taltos, #13) is, "So *that's* where Aliera's daughter came from!"

Tiassa (Vlad Taltos #13) is a collection of stories that all center around the central theme of a small silver tiassa with sapphire eyes. The stories told that relate to this tiassa take place in a chronological order, but fit in between various other books.

For example: The story of the creation of the tiassa belongs somewhere before book #1 and ends before Iorich.

The story of Vlad and th
Dragaera: Tiassa 1 7 Oct 12, 2012 01:41AM
  • Shadowed By Wings (Dragon Temple Saga, #2)
  • Honor's Paradox (Kencyrath, #6)
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Wicked Bronze Ambition (Garrett, P.I., #14)
  • The Griffin's War (The Fallen Moon #3)
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 5
  • The Sea Thy Mistress (The Edda of Burdens, #3)
  • Dark Jenny (Eddie LaCrosse, #3)
  • Voidfarer: A Tale of the Moonworlds Saga
  • Legacy of Kings (The Magister Trilogy, #3)
  • Heaven's Needle (Ithelas, #2)
  • Not Really The Prisoner of Zenda (Guardians of the Flame, #10)
  • Flashing Swords! 2
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Delasangre, #2)
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)
More about Steven Brust...

Vlad Taltos (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1)
  • Yendi (Vlad Taltos, #2)
  • Teckla (Vlad Taltos, #3)
  • Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • Phoenix (Vlad Taltos, #5)
  • Athyra (Vlad Taltos, #6)
  • Orca (Vlad Taltos, #7)
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)

“I'm told I'm very charming when people do what I want.” 21 likes
“Why do you work so hard to make yourself disliked? I should think you'd find it happens enough on its own without putting yourself to any extra trouble.” 14 likes