Start by marking “Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down” as Want to Read:
Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down

Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down

The Jack Nicholson film The Departed didn't tell half of their story. A poor kid from the slums, Robert Fitzpatrick grew up to become a stellar FBI agent and challenge the country's deadliest gangsters. Relentless in his desire to catch, prosecute, and convict Whitey Bulger, Fitzpatrick fought the nation's most determined cop-gangster battle since Melvin Purvis hunted, con ...more
Published January 3rd 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal

Jill Hennessy
Sep 26, 2015 Jill Hennessy rated it it was ok
I wanted to get a different perspective on the Whitey Bulger story before seeing the movie Black Mass. This account had very little to do with Bulger ... The focus was the FBI agent and his battle with the agencies in charge of taking Bulger down. Looking forward to the movie though!
David Ward
Dec 20, 2015 David Ward rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, crime
Betrayal: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent Who Fought to Bring Him Down by Robert Fitzpatrick (Forge Books 2011)(363.2509) was a serious disappointment. I was actually looking forward to this; I've followed the Whitey Bulger case for years and was excited to hear that this book was coming out. Unfortunately, I found it unreadable. There was no continuity to the story whatsoever. This is what was, I suppose, referred to as "yellow journalism" in the early twentieth century. Hopefully someone else ...more
Starr Gardinier
Oct 26, 2012 Starr Gardinier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Betrayal” is a nonfictional account of the ultimate apprehension of one of the most controlling gangsters in Boston, Massachusetts’ history. Fitzpatrick and Land relate true details of what is referred to as, “…one of the greatest failures in the history of federal law enforcement.”
According to evidence and testimony, the Boston division of the FBI was home to continual corruption, including leaks by federal agents. Typically, when we think of the FBI, we think of those sworn to uphold the law
Bruce DeSilva
Apr 05, 2012 Bruce DeSilva rated it it was amazing
As a journalist born and bred just south of Boston, I followed the Whitey Bulger saga closely and even had a hand in breaking a big story or two about the mobster and his corrupt allies in the Boston Bureau of the FBI.

But Betrayal by Robert Fitzpatrick and Jon Land spills details about the decades-long case that even I had never heard.

Fitzpatrick, a poor kid who grew up to be a tenacious FBI agent, was the man top bureau officials handpicked to get to the bottom of accusations that FBI agents ha
Tiffany
Jun 02, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Whitey Bulger's exploits first hit my radar in one of my college classes "Urban Crime and Politics" and Bulger was only a minor player in a book we were reading about South Boston "Southie". However, the professor had taken a special interest in the exploits of Whitey Bulger and he became a main topic of debate during the course. At the end of that course, I was given "Black Mass" by my professor, which led me to read "Street Soldier" and most recently, "Hitman". When I saw "Betrayl" in the book ...more
Russell
Jan 13, 2012 Russell rated it it was amazing
BETRAYAL: Whitey Bulger and the FBI Agent who Faught to Bring Him Down

Reviewed by Russ Ilg

Jon Land and Robert Fitzpatrick have combined to bring to paper the greatest “nonfiction novel” I have had the honor to read. The story of how the FBI protected and sheltered one of the most vicious and deranged killers in history is beyond what any fiction writer could scarcely imagine as a storyline and what Truman Capote had in mind when he coined the phrase in the wake of In Cold Blood. The story begins
KyBunnies
This book was a Good Reads First Read contest win.

Wow I read this hole book several weeks ago and I realized at the end that this was a true crime novel. I guess that shows how much I pay attention to the outside of the cover and what the media says about a book. I honestly thought this was going to be about someone's (the authors) opinion about Whitey Bulger.

This book goes in to some detail about how Agent Fitzpatrick tried to capture Bulger. How Fitzpatrick had to deal with learning about his
Natasha
Oct 08, 2015 Natasha rated it did not like it
I had to stop listening to this book. I was completely intrigued by the description and then the narrator started talking and I almost fell asleep. His monotone, dining voice killed this for me. I'll try to locate a copy of the book form and give it a try.
Sharon L. Sherman
Jan 23, 2012 Sharon L. Sherman rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, non-fiction
Author Robert Fitzpatrick sheds light on the FBI's use of informants in the 1980s to combat organized crime. With a history of successful outcomes in Miami and Memphis, Fitzpatrick is called to Boston to deal with the case of one informant whom he believes should be "closed down". He does not accomplish this task until long after his retirement as an expert witness--and by writing this book.

The injustices perpetrated by the informants highlighted in this narrative (under the FBI's watchful eye)
Chip Carpenter
May 10, 2016 Chip Carpenter rated it did not like it
it was OK as a thriller, but it's a work of fiction, just this month Fitz pled guilty to 6 counts of perjury relating to the items covered in this book. This is a self-agrandizing piece of propaganda. Not recommended.
Stephen Boiko
Nov 20, 2014 Stephen Boiko rated it liked it
More about agent and corruption in FBI Boston office, than about Whitey Bulger.
Scottsdale Public Library
Corrupt federal law officers and politicians? Say it isn't so, Toto! A former agent gives a brief summary of his life leading into his role in the Whitey Bulger investigation. I was hoping Mr. Fitzpatrick would delve into who protected a fugitive Mr. Bulger for thirteen years until his arrest in 2008. That question remains unanswered. I also recommend Howie Carr's "Hitman" for additional reading on this subject. - Michael O.

Steven
Mar 27, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
The integrity of FBI agent Robert Fitzpatrick, ultimately is brought to light despite corruption in the FBI, and the gangsters who subverted it. We can only see Mr. Fitzpatrick as an example of what was right about the FBI, and wish that more people such as he prevailed more often against the corrupt among us. Good job Mr. Fitzpatrick. The book was a great read.
Jackie Glenn
Jan 20, 2013 Jackie Glenn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read. I had heard of Whitey Bulger and his capture, but never really understood the story. This book reviews his life; but more than that it describes the corruption of FBI agents and politicians on the east coast of the USA who enabled his criminal career. Fascinating.
Tracey
Feb 29, 2012 Tracey rated it it was ok
The story of Whitey Bulger and the Boston FBI is interesting, but even that couldn't make up for the awful writing. Subject-verb disagreement? Check. Homophone mix-ups? Yep. Weird sentence fragments? Oh, yes. It's obvious a copy editor was never even in the same room as the manuscript.
Michelle
Oct 12, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shocking and educational read! My heart goes out to Fitzpatrick... who was sent into the lion's den and clawed at everytime! As he states if only HQ would have listened.... lives would have been saved!
Paul
Feb 13, 2012 Paul rated it liked it
Sounds like he fought the good fight, but too pedantic for me...
John Lester
John Lester rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
John Shea
John Shea rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Bodosika Bodosika
Bodosika Bodosika marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
John A Pirani
John A Pirani rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Maria Reyner
Maria Reyner rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Thomas Littler
Thomas Littler rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Diana R Cifranic marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Honor in the Dust: Theodore Roosevelt, War in the Philippines, and the Rise and Fall of America's Imperial Dream
  • Stop and Blog the Roses
  • Rachel Spinelli Punched Me in the Face
  • Sacrifice
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Dead of Wynter
  • King of Paine
  • Solacers
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Other Waters
  • The Dogs of War
  • Glamour (On the Runway, #5)
  • Lucky Break
  • 1923: A Memoir: Lies and Testaments
  • Island Ghosts
  • Not Before Bed
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)