Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  42 reviews
At the station, sirens sound.
Corazones start to pound.
"House fire!" says el capitán.
"Fuego! Get your helmets on!"

So begins a rollicking race to save a burning casa from the roaring flames-and these bomberos are up to the task, with hoses ready and sirens blaring. Spanish words sprinkled throughout the lively text-plus a glossary at the end-will enrich young readers as they...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Mary
I think my preschoolers would really like this one - especially Dan Santat's illustrations - and I love the combination of English and Spanish. But one quibble: firefighters don't REALLY hang off the back of the truck anymore, do they? I mean, c'mon, that's not safe at all. The text mentions this, and the illustrations show it. But I've never seen it!
Stacey Cook
This is an exciting fiction story about firefighters. The firefighters are all from different cultural backgrounds. This story is about a brave group of firefighters that go out and battle a fire at a townhouse. There is a journey of rhyming words and Spanish words sprinkled around in the text. For example, the title page: Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos.

This would be a great story to read to students that are being introduced to rhyming words. For instances “At the station, sirens sound. Corazones...more
April Dawn
Book Title: Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Short Description of the Book: This book is a narrative description of a day in the life of a firefighter. Throughout the book, Spanish words are inserted into sentences written in English. This book follows a sequence of events with vivid details and descriptions of the setting and events.

FOCUS: Narrative Features I would Use in a Mini-Lesson:
1-Setting- This book uses vivid language and description to set each scene in the day of this group of firefighte...more
Danielle Baker
Review:

This is a great story to explain what a firefighter does and how they help in our community. This story is culturally appropriate. This is perfect for my class this year, I have a lot of native Spanish speakers. Even native English speaking children love to explore and learn new word in different languages. I would use this story during community helpers themed week, before a firefighter visit. Great vocabulary and spanish words.

Learning Experience:

I would make a chart after we read the s...more
Cris
Eh. Now, I'm not the target audience, but I found the rhymes to be unimpressive at best. I liked the illustrations more than the story or the rhymes. The Spanish words seemed to be dropped in more for a chance to show off than flowing from the story.

Not the worst I've seen but far from the best. I wouldn't suggest this book to anyone but child who loves firefighters.
Rachel Dalton
This was a great book I found for a bargain randomly at a book fair. This short book works on rhyming while maintaining a good story line. It also introduces Spanish words along the way, which are bolded and can be inferred by looking at the pictures and reading the sentence. For this reason, I could use this book as a tool for working on inferencing. It also is just an enjoyable read for young students!
June
May 07, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fire fighter and bilingual requests
The rhyming seemed to keep the younger children's attention and I loved the Spanish words it introduced and that helped keep the older children's involved.
Lara
Another one that caught me by surprise! I love the concept of this one--it's mainly in English, but with Spanish words sprinkled here and there, all in rhyme. It's pretty easy to guess what the Spanish words mean based on the context, but there's also a glossary in the back in case you're not sure. The illustrations are cute, and the story is one that will be pretty exciting for younger kids, what with the fire truck and the fire fighting and the kitten rescuing. The language is my favorite part...more
Ms Threlkeld
I have enjoyed all of Elya's books and appreciate how seamlessly she weaves Spanish words into the narrative. This is a perfect book for building children's Spanish vocabularies and for using context clues to figure out new words. It will also appeal to kids interested in firefighting and who like action.
Lesley
I really liked this bilingual story about some brave firefighters who put their own needs aside to save the day for others. This would be such a useful book to incorporate into the classroom during a unit on fire safety or community helpers. I love how the story incorporates spanish and English words and features a female firefighter. This book is multicultural and anti-biased, which qualifies it as an excellent piece of literature for classroom use!
Martha
Sep 28, 2013 Martha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alice, Librariansteph, Elissa, Marti
An action packed firemen's story that will fullfill the popular demand for books about firetrucks. For students who are Spanish speaking or schools teaching Spanish, there are lots of vocabulary words subtly immersed into the storyline with a glossary in the back defining them. This title would be a great choice to read during fire prevention week. As usual Dan Santat's cartoony animated illustations make the story come alive.
Savannah
I really enjoyed this book. I myself enjoy learning another language and this book makes it fun. I liked how the story wasn't all in spanish just a few words so it was easier to read, understand, and enjoy. Fun to try to guess what the spanish word meant also. I really liked how the spanish words were bolded and in the back there's a glossary. Not only does it tell you what the word means but it has pronunciation help also.
Beth
I'm a fan of Dan Santat's art, and I think he captures the action and heat of a fireman story, as well as drawing cool fire trucks and funny dogs. I enjoyed how the rhyming story sprinkled spanish words into the English sentences. After reading more than a few firetruck stories to my boys, the bilingual aspect made it more interesting to me. All Spanish words were in bold and translated in the back glossary.
Mary
This is a great bilingual book for kids, especially for those interested in firemen. It is written in poem form with Spanish words intermixed with English ones. At the end of the book, there is a glossary for any of the words that aren’t clear in the text. This would be a great read aloud book, especially for a classroom with bilingual students. The pictures are great, and the story is exciting!
Shanshad Whelan
It's not the most brilliant book out there, but it's nice to see some new contributions to the firefighter storyline. The incorporation of Spanish words in primarily English text may not be the best way to introduce either language to a new learner, but may work well with children who know both languages. There's a glossary included at the back that translates all the Spanish into English.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
After working in a Dual Language Program, I struggle with books that use Spanglish. I am okay if the whole story is done in English & Spanish. I am okay if the Spanish vocabulary is systematically introduced (though I prefer not mixing the two languages), but I struggle when I see just the random use of the Spanish words in English text.

I LOVE Dan's illustrations though
Brooke
I was hesitant to read this with my storytimers. I knew enough to only try it with the older kids, but they really enjoyed it. Even the younger older kids. Kids just love firefighters, what can I say? And they liked guessing what the Spanish words are in English. And the pictures are very vibrant.
La-Shanda
Well, hummmm... I have a bias for books that promote community heroes such as Fire Fighters,Policemen(women), and Teachers. I especially like this book because vocabulary terms are written in English and Spanish. The book is appropriate for Preschoolers, Kindergartners and possibly first graders.
Stephanie Sapp
I enjoyed the story and the pictures. I struggled with reading aloud the Spanish words, glossary in the back was helpful. My dual language teachers have already expressed dislike in the random Spanish words thrown in here and there. It would be confusing to second language learners.
Christina Camp
This is an adorable book that teaches about firemen. It is great to use when teaching about community helpers and also great for students who speak Spanish. Many of the words in the book are in Spanish so children must use context clues to discover the meaning of the words.
Lindsay
A good mix of English and Spanish words with a handy glossary. Plus, the story and illustrations are appealing and modern, which isn't always the case with bilingual picture books. The characters (those brave bomberos) are all latinos and there's even a woman!
Vee
Cool book, it reminds me of by Samantha R. Vamos'
The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred . What more can be said of Dan Santat's fun illustrations?
Allison Parker
The occasional scanning issue aside, this book is a treat. Rhymes, bilingualism with a glossary (instead of awkward repetition in the story), and a boldly & brightly illustrated, multiracial cast makes this text a preschool storytime must.
Pamela
This book was a good read as well as a learning tool for children. The interspersed spanish words added a bilingual feel to the book, but not overdoing it. The faces of the characters in the book accentuated the story line.
Stephanie
I love this book! It tells the story in English and Spanish. Students have to figure out what the Spanish words are based on context clues. Spanish students can figure out the English words the same way. Great for any classroom!
Bethe
many pages in this book work really well but other pages not so much. Sometimes the author tries too hard to include Spanish terms and it messes up the rhythm and the rhyme scheme. Overall a good homage to firefighters.
Beverly
Elya manages to put a lot of excitement into her rhyming text, with Spanish words scattered in here and there. Dan Santat's illustrations are large and colorful. This would be an excellent choice for story time.
Ann
Another great book fair purchase! This bilingual story is easy to read and exciting. It also features fire trucks, fire fighters, and cats-- toddler gold. My toddler had as much fun listening as I did reading it aloud.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A fun, bouncy picture book for all those little bomberos out there! Plus, Dan Santat's Incredibles-like illustrations give the firefighters a thrilling sense of action as they rush off to put out yet another fuego!
Krystyn
Ethan loved the fireman/firefighting aspect of this book. I loved the way the author put together fantastic rhymes combining English and Spanish!! Great book!! Unique!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • If All the Animals Came Inside
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • Say Hello!
Rubia and the Three Osos Bebé Goes Shopping Oh No, Gotta Go! Say Hola to Spanish No More, Por Favor