Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)

Extracurricular Activities (Murder 101 Mystery #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  682 ratings  ·  68 reviews

You’d think, now that she’s off the hook for murder, that Alison, an English professor at a cushy college campus just north of chaotic New York City, would be able to relax. But how can she, with a wedding in the works? A Ph.D can only go so far…

The recently-divorced Alison couldn’t be happier for her best friend, the bride Max. The problem is with the groom. Namely, his

Published September 30th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published November 27th 2007)

Lain
It takes a lot for me to quit reading a book before I've finished - particularly when I've made it over halfway. So it's saying something when I tell you I quit reading this book with less than 50 pages to go.

It was simply awful. The changing point of view was confusing and unnecessary. The main character, supposedly a James Joyce scholar, seemed part Stephanie Plum and part mall babe. She acted none too intelligent, and her supposed job was given lip service only. And her questionable actions (...more
Melinda Elizabeth
This book is hilarious. Allison's pithy off side commentary throughout the book really gave me a chuckle and it feels like she's sitting in a cafe with you, telling this story over a cup of coffee.

I only wish that there was more of Kevin the priest, although maybe I missed out on all the priest jokes in the first book (read them out of order...again....) but I liked that he was this gossip hungry reverend who was lending an ear when she needed it most. Max was also someone who felt a little off...more
Bookworm1858
Summary: Wow-Alison's life is complicated! Her best friend is getting married to her married-but estranged from his wife-kind of boyfriend's cop partner; she's under stress at work; her other best friend is trying to set her up with his brother; and her philandering ex-husband is found dead in her kitchen. Again she is dragged in to solving a mystery!

Thoughts: I read the fourth book in this series a while back so I was pleased to be able to pick this up (review of the third book tomorrow). I als...more
Shonda
When we first met Alison Bergeron, she was the number one suspect in a college student’s murder. Not only did Alison have a past with the victim’s parents, her ex-husband had an affair with the student as well. Just clearing her name from one investigation, Alison soon finds herself involved with another murder. . . her ex-husband Ray. Ray’s death has Peter Miceli’s name written all over it, as his death was a signature Mob hit. As much as she despised Ray (after all he had numerous extra-martia...more
Cherie
This is the first book I read, but actually the second one in the series. It hooked me in -- I liked the characters, the humor, the academic setting....

Alison has gone through a divorce: her husband had multiple affairs yet tries to be her friend still. They teach at the same college, which makes it awkward: they also coteach one class. Alison has already been involved in one murder--and helped investigate what really happened. She met handsome, and separated, Detective Bobby Crawford, during th...more
Shannon
If I could have, I'd have given this one 3.5 stars. This is the second of Barbieri's "Murder 101" mysteries, and it's a bit better than the first (which, by the way, I believe was her first book). This time, it's Allison's cheating ex-husband, Ray Stark, who is the murder victim; Allison discovers him sitting at her kitchen table, dead, and missing his hands and feet. The suspects are many: the mob boss, the jealous husband next door, the student with whom Ray was having an affair when he died....more
♥Jamie
Extracurricular Activities was a great second addition to the Murder 101 series. If the pattern continues, the next book will be even better than the last.

Summary:
After finding out that Detective Crawford is still technically married, English professor Alison Bergeron is heartbroken. She finally divorced her cheating husband and the first man she opened her heart to, lied to her. Things have finally returned to normal at work, but her ex-husband Ray has been coming around more and more under th...more
Shonna Froebel
This is the second book in the series that started with Murder 101. The series features college professor Alison Bergeron. Here we have her best friend, Max, about to get married and her ex-husband, Ray still hanging around more than she likes. Also hanging around is another acquaintance from college, Peter Miceli, husband of Gianna Miceli, and member of the mob.
Alison is waiting for her wanna-be boyfriend, NYPD detective Bobby Crawford to be free of his previous relationship before she starts a...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Extracurricular Activities (2007) is Maggie Barbieri's second mystery novel featuring English professor Alison Bergeron. It is the sequel to Barbieri's debut novel Murder 101.

A few months have passed since Alison was cleared of the murder that ocurred at the small, secluded college where she works. It has been about as long since Alison last saw her married (sort of) boyfriend Detective Bobby Crawford. Everything about Alison's life seems to be back to normal--leaving her plenty of time to focus...more
Deanna
Grey853
Susan
suspenseful. romantic page-turner, but the protagonist is a lot harder to like in this one. very tmi, some coarse humor, noticeable bad language, and catty comments about others.

Alison's life is slowly getting back together after the events of book 1, but then she comes home one afternoon and finds her ex-husband dead at her kitchen table with his hands and feet removed and the circus starts back up again. She has to turn to Crawford to help solve the case, even though she wasn't entirely talkin...more
Teena in Toronto
I like mystery series with continuing characters.

I really liked this book. This is the second in the series of five. I apparently read the first one in the series in 2008 but wasn't all that impressed. Maybe she's gotten better or my tastes have changed? I've reserved the other four from the library so may go back and reread the first one. I'll definitely move forward with the series.

The writing style is engrossing and funny. I found it entertaining to read.

The main characters, Alison and Crawfo...more
Nancy
Alison does not see Crawford since she discovered he was still married, though separated. Max gets married. Alison discovers her ex-husband, Ray, murdered in her kitchen with his hands and feet cut off. Her next door neighbors leave their dog, Trixie, with Alison when they leave. The woman from next door is found in a hole in her back yard minus her hands and feet. Bobby's wife gives him a divorce. Alison and Bobby get together. Giama Micelli, head of a mob gang killed Ray, wishing it was Alison...more
Laura Salas
Emma
Susan
I just love Maggie Barbieri's series featuring college professor Alison Bergeron. Despite the nastiness Alison gets herself entangled in this time around (her dead ex is found sans hands and feet in her kitchen), she still manages to juggle a murder investigation and two men, handsome cop Bobby Crawford and George Clooney clone Jack McManus...okay, make that a murder investigation and four men, if you count deli owner Tony and mob boss Peter Micelli. Despite all the insanity, Alison eventually p...more
Sandy Hoenecke
Mystery. Light. That so much murder should happen around one person!
Patty
I enjoyed this book much more than the first in the series. Alison doesn't faint or get sick when finding dead bodies this time 'round, and the first body is that of her ex-husband.

Once again she is embroiled with NYPD detective Bobby Crawford, the Miceli mob family and going head-to-head with the nuns at her college.

There were a few too many bodies for me, but the story moved along at a great pace and the relationship between Alison and Crawford enjoys its ups and downs.

Looking forward to the n...more
Joanne
murder 101, Barbieri's first book, was a great academic mystery, with a lot of witty banter and a little romance thrown in. This sequel was really disappointing -- the mystery is secondary to the not-as-witty banter, the point of view switches between characters and is disjointed, the language is crude, and the plot is just silly. It feels as if the author got the book out before it could be edited -- and as if she doesn't even like her characters, they're so ridiculous.
Toni
I really liked this book, mainly because I really like the Alison and Crawford characters. They're very likeable but still have flaws.

The only problem I had w. this book is that at times things were stated as known fact and I thought to myself "What? When was that said/did that happen?" and then would flip back through the book to see if I zoned out while reading and missed it. I did not zone out and there were a few gaps. Not sure if it was intentional or due to lazy editing.
Leya
What's a woman to do, when she finds her ex-husband, dead, in her kitchen? Should she call her almost married boyfriend? Or should call her best friend, a priest? And what about that mob boss that just doesn't leave her alone?

I read the first book of the series, Murder 101, last year. And I really enjoyed it. I love the main character, Alison, she's smart, quirky and for some reason has this ability to find dead bodies on her property. And the second didn't disappoint.
Nora-adrienne
This is the 2nd book in Maggie Barbieri's Murder 101 series. Alison is busy with teaching, and getting ready for her BFF Max's wedding. As always, Alison runs into one surprise after another, especially since she is trying to help find out who murdered her ex husband.

I am working my way through the series in order and have the next 3 books waiting for me at my local library.

Why don't all y'all visit your library's and check out a copy, or just buy one.

Julia
Dr. Alison Bergeron is swept up again in a murder when a body is discovered at her kitchen table. Barbieri uses the college community and the small town of Dobbs Ferry to populate another great story. The mob, nuns, the New York Rangers, and a priest all add interesting elements to this mystery. Alison's on/off relationship with Det. Bobby Crawford moves forward as well, which bodes wells for another installment in this cozy mystery series.
Carissa
I enjoyed the first book in the series, "Murder 101," but this sequel was so much better. For one thing, plot completely aside, it's funnier than the first one. For another, murders completely aside, the plot is more fun than than the first one. Basically, it's a chick lit murder mystery, like Nancy Drew for grown ups, except Alison has more personality and a more interesting boyfriend.
Mindy
Maggie Barbieri is a tough woman who duked it out with cancer and won. Instead of folding inside of herself, she chose to live outward, which included writing wonderful mysteries for us to read. She writes about the serious situations in life with a sense of humor using Alice Bergeron, an English professor in a small Catholic college. A woman I admire and an author I love to read.
Eileen
Stephanie
I picked it up because it was .25 at the used bookstore in town, and I had read the first one, and one night I picked it up and I was surprised that it didn't suck nearly as much as its prequel. Despite odd change-of-perspective moments, I actually sort of enjoyed this one, even though I still contend the author knows very little about hwo academia actually works.
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Scoop to Kill (A Mystery a La Mode, #2)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Tumbling Blocks (Benni Harper, #13)
  • Silent Auction (A Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
202369
Maggie Barbieri is the author of the Murder 101 series, which is comprised of Murder 101 (2006); Extracurricular Activities (2007), Quick Study (2008), Final Exam (2009) and Third Degree (due November 2010.) She lives in the New York metro area/Hudson Valley with her husband, and two children. By day she's a writer and editor of college textbooks. She is currently at work on the sixth book in the...more
More about Maggie Barbieri...
Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1) Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery #3) Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4) Once Upon a Lie (Maeve Conlon, #1) Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery #5)