Start by marking “Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)” as Want to Read:
Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery, #7)

Drop Dead Chocolate (Donut Shop Mystery #7)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  858 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The whole town of April Springs is stirring over the upcoming mayoral election. Suzanne Hart’s mother, for one, is dead-set on replacing the current mayor…and what better way for Momma to drum up support than by luring in voters with Suzanne’s drop-dead-delicious donuts? Just add chocolate, and they’re sure to kill the competition…

With Momma’s half-baked campaign heating u
289 pages
Published April 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Drop Dead Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drop Dead Chocolate

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
262nd out of 708 books — 350 voters
A Killer Plot by Ellery AdamsGlazed Murder by Jessica BeckA Slice of Murder by Chris CavenderBuried in a Book by Lucy ArlingtonSmoky Mountain Tracks by Donna Ball
North Carolina Mysteries
13th out of 119 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jo Anne B
May 28, 2012 Jo Anne B rated it liked it
This was the first book I have read in the Donut series. I didn't feel lost at all. The author did a good job giving Timbits (pun intended) of background information to catch me up on anything relevant to the story. I do regret not having read the other books in the series beforehand because a major character left the series and I know if I had been reading it from the beginning that I would have felt an emotional connection to that person and would have been sad. But, that just makes me want to ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
May 18, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
Every time a new book in this estimable series comes out, I grab a cup of coffee and sit down to what I know will be a toothsome treat for my mystery mind.

The town of April Springs, NC has had it with the current Mayor. It is a good thing re-election time is looming. When a scandal breaks, that is the final straw for sleuth, Suzanne Hart's mother, Dorothy. This time she is going to throw her hat in the ring.

Suzanne is busy with her Donut Hearts store and giving us readers delectable recipes for
Luffy
Aug 07, 2014 Luffy rated it liked it
A slow start here was followed by a solid middle act. The book ripened - that's the word I'd use, instead of bloomed - a bit late, but all things considered, it did just enough to earn three stars. So given my expectations, this book was a nice surprise. Cozy mysteries have mostly only temporary changes, but this series moves in unexpected directions. Killing the mayor of the town is no longer an original idea but it still makes for some exciting writing. Emma's quest for bettering herself ; th ...more
Fmorlan
Jan 12, 2015 Fmorlan rated it it was amazing
Small town NC has Donut hearts owned by Suzanne Hart. She has a tendency to find dead bodies. This time it involves her mother. Dorothy confronts the mayor and decides to run against him. Unfortunately he is found dead in a property owned by Dorothy Hart. Being she is dating the chief of police there are no benefits. The chief calls in Suzanne ' s boyfriend Jake. Suzanne has several suspects to investigate one being the chief's ex wife. She is a force to be dealt with. In addition, a girlfriend ...more
Ramona
Jun 20, 2012 Ramona rated it really liked it
I am addicted to these adorable donut shop mysteries. This one had me stumped. I had no idea who the killer was and why he or she did it. And one of these days I am going to try one of the many recipes that are included in the books. :)
Kim
Apr 28, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Still good, and this time the donuts were not part of the murder, but how many more people in this small town are left to kill?
Apr 30, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
just finished--Amazing; truly Amazing!!
Fanficfan44
Jun 03, 2015 Fanficfan44 rated it really liked it
This is another book in the Donut Shop series. I really enjoy this series and anticipate sticking with it through the rest of the books. The characters are well thought out and realistic. The romance is believable and light enough to not intefere with the mystery. The mystery was engaging and I didn't guess who the cuprit was until the end. Fans of cozy mysteries would enjoy this.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2016 Michelle added it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the 7th book in the Donut Shop cozy mystery series. Suzanne’s mother is fed up with the taint surrounding the mayor’s office and decides to campaign for the position. She is not alone, though, and is surprised when the chief of police’s ex-wife joins the race, mostly in spite against her because of her relationship with the chief. When the current mayor ends up dead, Suzanne works to try to find out who really did it so that her mother can be cleared of any suspicion. She must figure out ...more
Michelle
Oct 01, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
This was the first I have read in this series. It was okay. I'm not a huge fan of Suzanne's. I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something. Her relationship with Jake is a little annoying and her friend Grace wasn't my favorite either. I will try to read some earlier ones and maybe I will be able to scrape the egg off my face.
Jill
May 08, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
A little heavy handed there, that bit in the middle when he/she explains that the author of a book club selection uses a woman's name because his publisher made him, telling him that otherwise he'd never be published.
(Heavy handed to me seeing as how I'd just found out Jessica Beck is actually the pen name for a man.)
Ann Boytim
Jan 03, 2016 Ann Boytim rated it liked it
Always fun to read these books and enjoy the recipes. Suzanne amateur detective has a murder on her beat and her mother is on the top of the suspect list. Suzanne and her friends Grace and George are determined to find out who the murderer is. Suzanne's mother is the girlfriend of the police chief in town so Suzanne recruits her boyfriend Jake to help track down the murderer.
Emilia
May 26, 2015 Emilia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cosy-mystery
I like this series a lot, will probably take me a while to go through it though ;) The characters are very likable, there is humour, some relationship issues, growing up of some (someone decides to go to college...). Great read!

AND - I loved the fact that the doughnut recipes in this one are for baked not fried!!! definitely will try some out!
Amanda
Suzanne has done it again, she has gotten herself caught up in yet another homicide investigation.

Suzanne and Jake are a fantastic couple, I wish that they had more time to spend together.

I really do not like Grace's new boyfriend Peter, I really hope that she ditches him and finds someone who deserves her. Who knows maybe Grace and Grant can get together...

Trish is awesome, she is so good to Grace and Suzanne.

I am really sad that Emma is leaving town but I am certain that there are bigger and
Ali
May 09, 2012 Ali rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-mysteries
Another good book in one of my favorite cozy series. I felt that the reveal of the murderer was a bit rushed, and there wasn't a very tense standoff before the police came, etc, but it was still good. My favorite part was the book club scene though, because it very tongue in cheek alluded to the fact that the author is actually a man. I knew that this was written under a pseudonym, but it never occurred to me that it wasn't still written by a woman, just under a different name. I know that there ...more
Sharon Thrasher
Aug 18, 2015 Sharon Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book.

OK, so again I could not put the book down. It was really good. I sure love that Jake. And the sheriff is getting nicer. Had to after getting rid of the nasty wife. Looking forward to the next one.
Kimberly
Jul 08, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Is Jessica Beck really a man using a woman's name to write under? There was one scene where the book club met in Donut Hearts and there was a long conversation about a male author writing under a female pseudonym.
Anyway, this was another quick one in the series.
I wish Suzanne would get Max and what he did to her. It's getting old hearing about it. And Suzanne's sort of a bully the way she acts around people other than Emma, Grace, her Mother, George and Jake. As much as I think the town is cute
Kate
Oct 11, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok
This was an entertaining read in the series, but not as good as the others in my opinion. There was a lot of back and forth in what Suzanne said and did which I never noticed before. For example when Grace said her boyfriend wanted her to lose weight, Suzanne first has this strong stance that she's not going to let the boyfriend get away with manipulating Grace. Two lines later she says "I wasn't about to argue the point" with Grace. Ok, which is it? Things like this happened constantly and it w ...more
Jeanne Stephens
Jul 05, 2012 Jeanne Stephens rated it it was amazing
This was a great addition to the Donut Shop mysteries. Suzanne's mom is running for mayor. Then the mayor is found dead in Suzanne's mom's building. Who did it?

Suzanne, Grace, and George play detective to solve the murder.

Jake is on the scene but since Suzanne's mom is a suspect he has to avoid being seen with Suzanne due to the appearance of conflict of interest.

Toward the end of the book a bombshell is dropped but it has nothing to do with the murder!

This is a great series. It is well writ
Martha
Jul 29, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy, southern, 2014
7th in this series. I guess you could say I'm invested in these characters by now. :-)
Susan
Suzanne Hart has her hands full with her donut shop, but when her mother, indignant at local shenanigans, decides to run for mayor, Suzanne assumes the role of campaign manager. The other candidates are the ex-wife of the police chief (who's dating mom) and the slippery incumbent. And then murder strikes, and there are only two candidates left. Naturally, suspicion rests on the two remaining, and Suzanne's boyfriend is brought in to investigate. She trusts Jake, of course, but how can it hurt to ...more
Anastasia
Jan 04, 2014 Anastasia rated it really liked it
Drop Dead Chocolate by Jessica Beck is the 7th in the donut shop mystery series. This time the current mayor is murdered just after Suzanne's mother decides to run against him in the next election. I love this series, especially the donut recipes and descriptions scattered throughout the book. It leaves me craving for more- both mysteries and donuts.
Robin
Jul 17, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story all the way around. Enjoyable read well planned mystery! I would recommend this series!
Gillian
Jul 26, 2015 Gillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best election results
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
Her mom has decided that the mayor has gone too far and needs to be replaced. She decides to run for mayor and take him on, but then he is found dead in the building her mother owns. Too many people have keys to the building and too many people have had arguments with the mayor. She convinces the sheriff to get her boyfriend on the case and still help find leads to who the real killer is. She also has to run her business. The best was who actually became mayor after the election.
Connie Easlick
Aug 23, 2013 Connie Easlick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mysteries
Suzanne is in a murderous town! This time she has her Momma to thank. Momma gets upset with the major one too many times and threatens him to run against him for major. Then they find him dead. Momma is number one suspect. Suzanne has all she can do trying to sort it out and her friendship has to take a back seat, even though Grace really needs a talking to about her new beau.
Who ends up doing it and who ends up as major?? Read and find out. I'm not telling! :D
Rumeur
Oct 29, 2014 Rumeur rated it liked it
I usually love this series from first page but for some reason this story just didn't seem as exciting or with any twists, as all the others. I've not read them in order but, except for most current book, I've now read them all and this was my least favorite
[SPOILER] I know from reading future stories that Emma comes back to Donut Hearts but it was still upsetting to see in which the storyline was headed, until her return again
Trisha
Apr 28, 2012 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this. This time it's Suzanne's mom who is the prime suspect in a murder but it becomes quite clear that she is only one of many who wanted to kill the mayor. Lots of good interpersonal bits in this as well. I'm always waiting for the next book in this series to come out and this did not disappoint. Now, I have to wait for the next installment. They get better and better.
Jill
Feb 19, 2013 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A doughnut shop owner tries to solve the mystery of who murdered the man found dead in an abandoned building owned by her mother. The plot felt stale. Even though there were clues to who committed the crime, it wasn't obvious until the perpetrator was revealed. This could be considered a "gentle" murder mystery because of "clean" language and lack of graphic details.
Nancy H
Apr 30, 2013 Nancy H rated it liked it
I liked this entry in the Donut Shop series although I don't think it was quite as tightly plotted as the earlier ones. It was nevertheless quite enjoyable, and I still get the feeling that I need to be eating a doughnut while I am reading it. (So far I have resisted but with each book, my willpower is weakening!)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • Crops and Robbers (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #3)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the
More about Jessica Beck...

Donut Shop Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Illegally Iced (Donut Shop Mystery, #9)
  • Deadly Donuts (Donut Shop Mystery, #10)
  • Assault and Batter (Donut Shop Mystery, #11)