Start by marking “Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb ” as Want to Read:
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  19,716 ratings  ·  266 reviews
Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers. ...more
Published September 12th 1969 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Seven Wonders Of The World by Anna OthitisMy First Fun Golf Steps by Anna OthitisThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Books for four-year-old children
17th out of 275 books — 210 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for three-year-old children
27th out of 321 books — 250 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear.
Dustin Luke Nelson
I wanted to like "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." I'd heard the mumurs. Read the hype. EVERYONE has been talking about it. While it wasn't bad, it doesn't deliver on the hype.

I started off enjoying the book just fine. The first act is solid. Meandering a bit, maybe, but I was with Mr. Perkins. (Yeah, Perkins. Not Seuss. We'll get to that.) But then I get a little lost. The narrative thread is weak. As soon as you get to know one monkey they bring in another. Now, I'm not opposed to having a large
midnightfaerie
With Dr. Seuss like illustrations, the best part of this book was the rhyming rhythmic poetry that made the kids repeat every page. They added their own drumbeats by beating on the table and loved the bring colors that accompanied each page. One our whole family could enjoy.
Suzanne
27 years later my kids can still recite the verses. My husband always found the last pages a disturbing image ....millions of fingers, millions of thumbs, millions of monkeys drumming on drums. A classic.
Books Ring Mah Bell
hands play fiddles zum zum zum. hand in hand more monkeys come!

I hope someday my son will appreciate all the books I read to him.
R.
The biological limitations of anthropoids. A hand, and another hand. Fingers on each. The thumb; the opposable thumb. An anatomy lesson for your little tommy, your little leslie and, ultimately, a primate primer, a reminder, por vous.
Shawn Thrasher
It ain't Shakespeare, but 35 years or so later after first reading this, "Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum" still rings in my ear and buzzes through my brain, which is more than I can say for Keats or Shelley. The question remains: who the hell was Al Perkins? The man has sold a bazillion "bright and early books for beginning readers" but his Wikipedia is two sentences long. It doesn't even say if he's dead or alive! He also wrote Hugh Lofting's Travels of Doctor Dolittle which I totally dug as a ...more
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
This is my toddler son's absolute favourite book. The rythm is intoxicating, the story simple, and the illustrations engaging. Recommended for every toddler under the sun.
Skylar Burris
This is one of those rare children's books I really don't mind reading over and over and over again, because it is so wonderfully rhythmic. I could chant it in my sleep.
Candice
I loved this book when I was little. This one along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to read w/rhythm. My boys have all loved it as well.
Shannon
This was my daughter's favorite book when she was little. I must have read it hundreds of times to her. Very fun to read.
Julene
This one is way fun to read to kids. It has few words per page and is really rhythmic. Funny pictures. Love it.
Dehlia
We read this over and over, sometimes with our drum and tambourine and sometimes without. Great rhythm!
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 Marshall rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with hands and fingers
At first glance, you think this is a Dr. Seuss book. But it ain't. However, it does have that Suessian-beatnik-I-grok-kids'-imaginations-and-words-that-rhyme feel about it. I don't know how we got it. Books have a way of just appearing on our daughter's book shelves or in unstable stacks beside our bed.

If Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb has more than 40 words in it - 40 different words - I'll eat my hat. You get a lot of "hands" and "fingers" and "thumbs" - duh, look at the title. But there's also a
Amy Musser
This book is full of fingers, hands, drums, and monkeys. First, just a few monkeys playing drums, then crowds of monkeys, and then millions of monkeys in a riotous drumming celebration! There are big monkeys, small monkeys, monkeys with banjos, and monkeys with fiddles.

Much like Go, Dog, Go!, this beginner reader is more concerned with repetition of words than it is with plot. Although it’s meant to be a book for early readers to read on their own, it’s fun to read to younger kids as well. Kids
Angela
This is a classic Dr. Seuss book - even though it is by Al Perkins. The book is a blast to read with my 1 year old. Today we were walking up the stairs and I happened to say "Hand hand fingers thumb" and she went back downstairs and grabbed her copy of the book. I then had to read it twice before we could go back upstairs to start dinner! She seems to love the rhymes and it is a lot of fun to read to her.
Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - A monkey and his pals use his hands fingers and thumb to drum
Annotation - This book has a great amount of repetition and introduces body parts.
Age appropriateness 3-8 years
Connection to six early literacy skills
Vocabulary - This is a good way to introduce body parts.
Opinion - This is an average story but kids might like the visuals with the many monkeys drumming.
Mary Wirt
This is such a fun book. Easy to get a young reader involved by drumming and humming, and repeating along, this book is great as a read-aloud for young children or as a beginning reader book. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I might just have to add it to my personal collection.
Pamela
May 08, 2011 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents with toddlers
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" by Al Perkins is a cute, little book I received at my baby shower...my daughter loves this book! Rhyming is using along with the text for this Bright and Early Board Book. Eric Gurney illustrated, and the pictures definitely go along with the words...they are so funny! My daughter just loves the pictures of the movies beating the drums.
As a parent, I really liked this book because I feel like it's a great resource for your toddler, especially if they are learning how
Rosa Cline
This is a really sweet "Bright and Early book" for beginning readers. You can almost 'sing' it the rhyming rhythmic lines are nice to read. The monkeys in the book are funny so young children will like them.
Caitlin
I don't like monkeys. I am basically convinced they are entirely evil. But this book, despite the monkeys, despite the lack of plot, has really great rhythm.

It's like Poe's "The Bells" but for preschoolers.

And even though it doesn't have a "plot," now that I think of it, it does have rising action, a climax, and enough of a resolution that it doesn't keep you hanging, unlike The Nose Book, which is all fun and games until it deflates completely.

I'd consider using this in poetry curriculum, to br
Kat
My son loved this book as well as I. I can also see why it what recommended to us because of his speech delay. It's a cute short book about monkeys, their fingers, and their drums.
Kaethe
The favorite board book at our house. It has a great rhythm. I do wish they'd make a version that has the complete text from the non-board version. I was shocked to discover there was more.

I fully expect to be able to recite this when I'm 102.
Jess
Someday, when all other knowledge has fallen out of my head, I will still be able to recite this book's catchy, jaunty narrative about monkeys and their musical instruments.
Bookwyrm
Great read aloud book to toddlers. The opening line has been stuck in my head for years - "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, One Thumb, One Thumb, Drumming on a Drum"
Alice
Can you believe I have NEVER read this book!?!? The mind REELS I KNOW!!
A lady came in asking for it and recited it verbtum. I had never heard of it, she said it was a Dr Seuss...one of his best. After a quick google search, a video on Vimeo and reading it out loud twice, I learned it was Al Perkins who wrote it. I guarantee it will get into your head. The cadence of the rhymes is fun and you will want to read it aloud to just bee bop along! Super fun! The lady who wanted this book did say that t
Shanna Gonzalez
This is an unusually well-designed rhythmic book with a simple theme of monkeys using fingers and hands to produce rhythm on drums. It begins with one monkey, then quickly expands to a sea of monkeys, all drumming their drums. As the complexity of pictures increase, the mood and energy of the text picks up, with lots of vocable sound effects which augment the text with fun and humor.

This is an easy reader, although the story appeals best to a preschool audience. It would be a good choice as read
Vaishali
Why are my favorite memories from childhood straight from Dr. Seuss books ????? Pure love.
Lindsey
My favorite childhood book. I didn't realize until I was an adult that this was NOT by Seuss. Huh.
Pam
It's all about the rhythm in the book! Read my original childhood copy - love doing that!!
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
  • The Eye Book
  • Belly Button Book
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...
The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R)) The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books) The Nose Book Tubby and the Lantern Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)