Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  15,065 ratings  ·  235 reviews
Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers....more
Published September 12th 1969 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for three-year-old children
21st out of 233 books — 185 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for four-year-old children
15th out of 214 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear....more
midnightfaerie
With Dr. Seuss like illustrations, the best part of this book was the rhyming rhythmic poetry that made the kids repeat every page. They added their own drumbeats by beating on the table and loved the bring colors that accompanied each page. One our whole family could enjoy.
Suzanne
27 years later my kids can still recite the verses. My husband always found the last pages a disturbing image ....millions of fingers, millions of thumbs, millions of monkeys drumming on drums. A classic.
Books Ring Mah Bell
hands play fiddles zum zum zum. hand in hand more monkeys come!

I hope someday my son will appreciate all the books I read to him.
Dustin Luke Nelson
I wanted to like "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." I'd heard the mumurs. Read the hype. EVERYONE has been talking about it. While it wasn't bad, it doesn't deliver on the hype.

I started off enjoying the book just fine. The first act is solid. Meandering a bit, maybe, but I was with Mr. Perkins. (Yeah, Perkins. Not Seuss. We'll get to that.) But then I get a little lost. The narrative thread is weak. As soon as you get to know one monkey they bring in another. Now, I'm not opposed to having a large...more
R.
The biological limitations of anthropoids. A hand, and another hand. Fingers on each. The thumb; the opposable thumb. An anatomy lesson for your little tommy, your little leslie and, ultimately, a primate primer, a reminder, por vous.
Meghan Douglas-Dowling
This is my toddler son's absolute favourite book. The rythm is intoxicating, the story simple, and the illustrations engaging. Recommended for every toddler under the sun.
Skylar Burris
This is one of those rare children's books I really don't mind reading over and over and over again, because it is so wonderfully rhythmic. I could chant it in my sleep.
Candice
I loved this book when I was little. This one along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to read w/rhythm. My boys have all loved it as well.
Shannon
This was my daughter's favorite book when she was little. I must have read it hundreds of times to her. Very fun to read.
Julene
This one is way fun to read to kids. It has few words per page and is really rhythmic. Funny pictures. Love it.
Dehlia
We read this over and over, sometimes with our drum and tambourine and sometimes without. Great rhythm!
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 Marshall rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People with hands and fingers
At first glance, you think this is a Dr. Seuss book. But it ain't. However, it does have that Suessian-beatnik-I-grok-kids'-imaginations-and-words-that-rhyme feel about it. I don't know how we got it. Books have a way of just appearing on our daughter's book shelves or in unstable stacks beside our bed.

If Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb has more than 40 words in it - 40 different words - I'll eat my hat. You get a lot of "hands" and "fingers" and "thumbs" - duh, look at the title. But there's also a...more
Amy Musser
This book is full of fingers, hands, drums, and monkeys. First, just a few monkeys playing drums, then crowds of monkeys, and then millions of monkeys in a riotous drumming celebration! There are big monkeys, small monkeys, monkeys with banjos, and monkeys with fiddles.

Much like Go, Dog, Go!, this beginner reader is more concerned with repetition of words than it is with plot. Although it’s meant to be a book for early readers to read on their own, it’s fun to read to younger kids as well. Kids...more
Pamela
May 08, 2011 Pamela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Parents with toddlers
Shelves: toddler-reads
"Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb" by Al Perkins is a cute, little book I received at my baby shower...my daughter loves this book! Rhyming is using along with the text for this Bright and Early Board Book. Eric Gurney illustrated, and the pictures definitely go along with the words...they are so funny! My daughter just loves the pictures of the movies beating the drums.
As a parent, I really liked this book because I feel like it's a great resource for your toddler, especially if they are learning how...more
Rosa Cline
This is a really sweet "Bright and Early book" for beginning readers. You can almost 'sing' it the rhyming rhythmic lines are nice to read. The monkeys in the book are funny so young children will like them.
Lara
I don't like monkeys. I am basically convinced they are entirely evil. But this book, despite the monkeys, despite the lack of plot, has really great rhythm.

It's like Poe's "The Bells" but for preschoolers.

And even though it doesn't have a "plot," now that I think of it, it does have rising action, a climax, and enough of a resolution that it doesn't keep you hanging, unlike The Nose Book, which is all fun and games until it deflates completely.

I'd consider using this in poetry curriculum, to br...more
Alice
Can you believe I have NEVER read this book!?!? The mind REELS I KNOW!!
A lady came in asking for it and recited it verbtum. I had never heard of it, she said it was a Dr Seuss...one of his best. After a quick google search, a video on Vimeo and reading it out loud twice, I learned it was Al Perkins who wrote it. I guarantee it will get into your head. The cadence of the rhymes is fun and you will want to read it aloud to just bee bop along! Super fun! The lady who wanted this book did say that t...more
Shanna Gonzalez
This is an unusually well-designed rhythmic book with a simple theme of monkeys using fingers and hands to produce rhythm on drums. It begins with one monkey, then quickly expands to a sea of monkeys, all drumming their drums. As the complexity of pictures increase, the mood and energy of the text picks up, with lots of vocable sound effects which augment the text with fun and humor.

This is an easy reader, although the story appeals best to a preschool audience. It would be a good choice as read...more
Pam
It's all about the rhythm in the book! Read my original childhood copy - love doing that!!
Abby Huster
story told through rhyme. Classic Dr. Suess book. I enjoyed it.
Shira
This will forever be my favorite book to read to toddlers.
Elizabeth
Kids love it but it does wear thin by the 9,000th reading.
Erin
This book is SO.MUCH.FUN. It's a very rhythmic read: "hand, hand, fingers thumb, one thumb, one thumb, drumming on a drum," which makes it a whole body experience for both of us. We read it together and beat on the floor to the rhythm, occasionally stopping to point out a plum or other interesting illustration. My son, 20 months, asks for it by name now: "dum ditty dum DUM!" because it has all his favorite things in it: monkeys, loud noises, a chance to hit things, and more monkeys. If not his f...more
Soplada
Dum Ditty
Dum Ditty
Emily
One of my absolute favorites when I was a little kid.
D
Jan 10, 2013 D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: children with all ten fingers and toes in tact
i remember when my sweet, adorable, hyperactive, accident-prone baby brother accidentally smashed his hand in something (a door? under a block? between his brother's teeth?) and had to be whisked to the emergency room. as i hurriedly helped my mother prepare a little canvas tote bag of books to take with them and keep his mind off the pain (poor, sweet baby), she gently removed this book right after i'd stuffed it in, saying, "perhaps it's best if we save this book for another time, dear."
Heidi
This would be such a fun book for toddler storytime as long as the parents helped them get involved. A preschool group might enjoy making the sounds, too. I'll have to think on it. I like the rhyming and the pace.

3/31/10 & 4/1/10 Both toddler groups loved this one. The drumming, and showing the thumbs, and all was very fun to do with them. The parents enjoyed helping their children do some of the actions. I think the Thursday group had some parents who knew the book by heart!
I read a lot of children's books to my daughter, but usually I don't put them on Goodreads. However, this book was an exception. I remember reading this book when I was little, but forgot about it. I just checked it out from the library a couple days ago, and my husband and I have read it to our daughter about 10 times so far. The book has great rhythm and is such a fun read. This is now my new favorite children's book. I highly recommend it.
Justin
Mar 03, 2008 Justin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Stable-boys
Hands down (no pun intended) my favorite book as a kid. Whenever my parents asked me what book they wanted to read to me before bed I wanted this one. I think my plan-B boko (when my parents got tired of reading this to me) were some Richard Scary books.

I attribute this book to my undeniable sense of rythym which in turn gave me the ability to change the lyrics of commercial jingles into obscene and vulgar songs. Thanks Mom and Dad.
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • A to Z
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • Little Blue Truck
  • The Best Nest
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • I Love You Through and Through
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...
The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books(R)) The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books) The Nose Book Tubby and the Lantern Chitty Chitty Bang Bang