Start by marking “Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb ” as Want to Read:
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  23,854 Ratings  ·  329 Reviews
Illus. in full color. A madcap band of dancing, prancing monkeys explain hands, fingers, and thumbs to beginning readers.
Published September 12th 1969 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakFour is a little, Four is a LOT by Cheska KomissarIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe NumeroffGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Books for four-year-old children
15th out of 398 books — 260 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Books for three-year-old children
31st out of 454 books — 329 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim
Oct 22, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember this one so well that I had to chant it aloud with a smile on my face. It's been a while. I got a couple of the dum ditty's & hum ditty's confused, but not bad after 20 years. I guess I read it A LOT for most of a decade. Cute pictures, too.

Marg bought 4 of these books for the upcoming grandmonster & asked me to mail them. I had to read them first. They're in a nifty 4"x6" thick cardboard format, unlike the ones we had for our kids. Hopefully harder for little fingers to tear.
Dustin Luke Nelson
I wanted to like "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." I'd heard the mumurs. Read the hype. EVERYONE has been talking about it. While it wasn't bad, it doesn't deliver on the hype.

I started off enjoying the book just fine. The first act is solid. Meandering a bit, maybe, but I was with Mr. Perkins. (Yeah, Perkins. Not Seuss. We'll get to that.) But then I get a little lost. The narrative thread is weak. As soon as you get to know one monkey they bring in another. Now, I'm not opposed to having a large
Bam
Jul 08, 2016 Bam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My grandson loves the repetition of sounds.
Aileen
Jun 23, 2015 Aileen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I actually really enjoy this book.
Its rhyming is fun, repetitive and catchy and a little bit silly which all means my son has loved it ever since I started reading it to him (probably when he was about 6 months old) and aged four he still loves it (and knows it off by heart).

The reason it gets such a low rating is because the pictures, although great, are obviously of chimpanzees. Chimpanzees are not monkeys they are apes.

It annoys me every time I read it.

I do not believe in the primate nested
midnightfaerie
With Dr. Seuss like illustrations, the best part of this book was the rhyming rhythmic poetry that made the kids repeat every page. They added their own drumbeats by beating on the table and loved the bring colors that accompanied each page. One our whole family could enjoy.
R.
Dec 09, 2007 R. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1974-2002
The biological limitations of anthropoids. A hand, and another hand. Fingers on each. The thumb; the opposable thumb. An anatomy lesson for your little tommy, your little leslie and, ultimately, a primate primer, a reminder, por vous.
Suzanne
27 years later my kids can still recite the verses. My husband always found the last pages a disturbing image ....millions of fingers, millions of thumbs, millions of monkeys drumming on drums. A classic.
Sean Gibson
Mar 23, 2015 Sean Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gets bonus points for being my son's first favorite book (granted, he was all of 12 months old at the time). This tome's got rhythm, though--I'll give it that...
Books Ring Mah Bell
Jul 20, 2008 Books Ring Mah Bell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidsbooks
hands play fiddles zum zum zum. hand in hand more monkeys come!

I hope someday my son will appreciate all the books I read to him.
Brittany
Jan 20, 2016 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alistair (15 months) drums along to this one and wanted to read it 3 times in a row so despite myself I'm giving it a 4.
Jonathan Fifer
Oct 31, 2015 Jonathan Fifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, like the Dr. Seuss books that it is obviously based on, is more focused on fun rhyming poems than having a coherent story. Each page has rhymes about monkeys, the instruments they play, and variations of "dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum." It slowly escalates from just one monkey to millions of monkeys, and is genuinely silly and fun.
I read this book to a small group of three year olds (including the one I'm observing), and it seemed to be a hit. The children seemed to like the rhythm
Brooke Leone
Mar 29, 2015 Brooke Leone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again Dr. Seuss did an amazing job with this book. This is not something I would recommend to someone older than 1st grade, because of all the Dr. Seuss books I have ever read I think this may be the most simple one- definitely written for early readers. The text is filled with onomatopoeia, which is very helpful to young readers. The illustrations are also very different than what Dr. Seuss has done in some of his more poplar books but that doesn't make this any less of a good book.

This book i
Dree Kinder
Mar 22, 2015 Dree Kinder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al Perkins is a children's book for beginners. The book is written in a language that is meant for younger children. It includes rhyming, which is an interactive and fun way for children to get engaged in a book. Perkins does a great job with using fun words and being repetitive throughout the book. The phrase "Dum ditty, Dum ditty, Dum dum dum" is used repetitively throughout the book. Children are able to relate to this phrase each time it occurs in the book.

The i
Shante' Polite
Title: Hand, Hand, Finger, Thumb
Author: Al Perkins
Publisher and Date:

J McCoy
Aug 14, 2016 J McCoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this book on such a regular basis that I have it more or less memorized, which can come in handy. There's also a fun youtube video with the book set to music, which is another usefulcard I keep up my sleeve in emergencies. I have managed to avoid using the video itself (no screen time for under twos and all that jazz), but my daughter loves the music, and once when I lost my voice this helped me keep our storytimes going.

The book is rhythmic and catchy. The words are better than the illu
Kaitlyn Tankersley
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb involves different sounds to get younger children engaged. It also helps children learn about different parts of their body. As you read you can ask them to point to what their hands, fingers and thumbs are. Of course, as any other early children's books the illustrations are very colorful and show a lot of detail in all the monkeys. This is a great book for children to follow along and maybe even act out the rhymes. It has a great rhythm to it and when you chant the s ...more
Shawn Thrasher
Jul 16, 2014 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It ain't Shakespeare, but 35 years or so later after first reading this, "Dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum" still rings in my ear and buzzes through my brain, which is more than I can say for Keats or Shelley. The question remains: who the hell was Al Perkins? The man has sold a bazillion "bright and early books for beginning readers" but his Wikipedia is two sentences long. It doesn't even say if he's dead or alive! He also wrote Hugh Lofting's Travels of Doctor Dolittle which I totally dug as a ...more
Meghan Douglas
Apr 17, 2013 Meghan Douglas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is my toddler son's absolute favourite book. The rythm is intoxicating, the story simple, and the illustrations engaging. Recommended for every toddler under the sun.
Skylar Burris
Jan 08, 2008 Skylar Burris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of those rare children's books I really don't mind reading over and over and over again, because it is so wonderfully rhythmic. I could chant it in my sleep.
Candice
Apr 04, 2009 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was little. This one along with Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great way to read w/rhythm. My boys have all loved it as well.
Shannon
Aug 27, 2007 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my daughter's favorite book when she was little. I must have read it hundreds of times to her. Very fun to read.
Julene
Apr 06, 2009 Julene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is way fun to read to kids. It has few words per page and is really rhythmic. Funny pictures. Love it.
Dehlia
Nov 29, 2013 Dehlia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wee-ones
We read this over and over, sometimes with our drum and tambourine and sometimes without. Great rhythm!
Alistair Parker
Apr 28, 2016 Alistair Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like about drams and i like the word it cllad dum ditty dum ditty dum dum dum

Kristy Lange
I really liked the rhythm and flow of Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb. The feel this read-aloud has as it rolls off your tongue is surprisingly catchy and memorable. There is nothing outstanding about the illustrations: it's colorful and consistent, but the rhythmic writing is what this fun board book has going for it. I've read this book to over 40 children, and most all of them have requested it again and again. This is a fun one to pick up for your toddler's library that you wont tire of as quickl ...more
Marshall
Oct 16, 2008 Marshall rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with hands and fingers
At first glance, you think this is a Dr. Seuss book. But it ain't. However, it does have that Suessian-beatnik-I-grok-kids'-imaginations-and-words-that-rhyme feel about it. I don't know how we got it. Books have a way of just appearing on our daughter's book shelves or in unstable stacks beside our bed.

If Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb has more than 40 words in it - 40 different words - I'll eat my hat. You get a lot of "hands" and "fingers" and "thumbs" - duh, look at the title. But there's also a
Amy Forrester
Mar 15, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of fingers, hands, drums, and monkeys. First, just a few monkeys playing drums, then crowds of monkeys, and then millions of monkeys in a riotous drumming celebration! There are big monkeys, small monkeys, monkeys with banjos, and monkeys with fiddles.

Much like Go, Dog, Go!, this beginner reader is more concerned with repetition of words than it is with plot. Although it’s meant to be a book for early readers to read on their own, it’s fun to read to younger kids as well. Kids
Carla Faraldo
Jan 26, 2016 Carla Faraldo rated it it was amazing
My 18-month old loves this book. It's super fun for me to read aloud to her (the rhymes sing beautifully and are perfect for making sound effects, like drumming on the book with my hands, fingers or thumb...) and it's also super fun for her to listen along and "fill in the blanks" (she says the last word of each sentence, which she's memorized). I read to her from the copy I had in my childhood, which add some nostalgia into the mix. This is a wonderful early learner book.
Courtney Williams
Great book that involves different sounds to get younger children engaged. It also helps children learn about different parts of their body and as you read you can ask them to point to what their hands, fingers and thumbs are. Of course as any other early children's books the illustrations are very colorful and show a lot of detail in all the monkeys. This is a great book for children to follow along and maybe even act out the rhymes. It has a great rhythm to it. When you chant the story out lou ...more
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears Bright and Early Board Book)
  • The Eye Book
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Horns to Toes and in Between
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go
  • Quiet Loud
  • Big Red Barn
  • I Love You Through and Through
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...