Start by marking “The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)” as Want to Read:
The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)

The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,616 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Illus. in full color. A dog who has to learn how to dig doesn't stop until he has dug up the whole town. ...more
Published August 12th 1967 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. EastmanDoc Tails by Othen Donald Dale CummingsThe Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring LowreyHarry the Dirty Dog by Gene ZionClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Picture Books About Dogs
37th out of 239 books — 113 voters
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb by Al PerkinsThe Digging-est Dog by Al PerkinsIan Fleming's story of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang! The Magical Car by Al PerkinsTravels of Doctor Dolittle by Al PerkinsThe Nose Book by Al Perkins
Best of Al Perkins
2nd out of 18 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Parker
Mar 17, 2014 Parker rated it really liked it
First published in the tumultuous intellectual environment of 1967, Al Perkins' treatise is frequently mistaken as a satire of Fascism. A closer reading shows the theme to be Man's struggle against (and implicitly, ultimate acceptance of) his own mortality (cf. the "hard stone floor" against which Duke rages).

An alternate, Marxian interpretation, based primarily on the ending tableau in which Duke uses his skills to plow a garden, has fallen out of favor.
A
Apr 13, 2014 A rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-books
Oh yes, I rated it 1 star. It started out with such potential, a dog being adopted by a wonderful little boy. They play and have fun together, they love each other to no end, BUT WAIT! Other dogs come along, and it is discovered the boy's new dog can't dig, because he grew up in essentially a cement cell. So, they work together; the boy trying to teach the dog how to dig.

Alas, the boy is sad, for the dog just can't learn, and so night comes. In the night, the dog discovers how to dig, and become
Aaron_ebert
May 29, 2014 Aaron_ebert rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young children
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: no one
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Digging-est Dog" by Al Perkins is a book about a dog who did not have a home until he met a young boy at the store where he was kept.

The characters include Duke, the dog who was at the store who is lonely and wants a home. Sam, the boy who took Duke home. Sam is a kind boy who feels bad for Duke when he is in the shop and decides to take him home. The pack of dogs are the local dogs who Sam hooks Duke up with, they are judgmental of dukes inability to dig and are overall the problem in the
Rosa Cline
Mar 11, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
A neat Dr. Seuss I can Read It All By Myself Beginner Book. Duke was a lonely dog in the pet store that had never felt grass or knew how to dig or knew anyone to love. But a boy comes along and adopts him. Lets him have all the things he's never had and taught him to be a dog. Doggie friends came by and they all made fun of him because he didn't know how to dig. So his boy taught him to dig. He started digging and didn't stop! Started getting in trouble and soon learnt that there are limitations ...more
Chelsea
Dec 02, 2013 Chelsea rated it liked it
A dog can’t be a dog in a pet shop. They can’t run, they can’t play, and they most definitely can’t dig! This book is about a dog named Duke who desperately wanted to get out of the pet shop—off of the “hard floor of stone”. One day, a boy named Sam, saw him in the shop. He knew that a dog couldn’t be a dog in a place like that! He took Duke back to his farm and made him feel at home. Sam introduced Duke to other dogs who liked to dig. Duke had never dug before, and just couldn’t get the hand of ...more
Brit
Apr 06, 2014 Brit added it
Category: Beginning reader picture books
Author: Al Perkins
Illustrator: Eric Gurney
Title: The Digging-est Dog
Publication date: 1967
Brief annotation: A dog obsessed with digging can’t stop and digs up the entire town.
Themes: habit, obsession, humor, dogs, dog behavior, consequences, selfishness
Ways to use the book with children: Predicting the consequences of what happens when you can’t control your own behaviors
Greta High-reynolds
Mar 04, 2014 Greta High-reynolds rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is really special... my aunt passed it down to Phoenix when he was a baby and it quickly became a favorite for both of us. It had been her son's book (my cousin) and had also been a favorite of his. Recently, my cousin passed away unexpectedly. It was way too soon. We still have this falling-apart, well-loved book on our book shelf and it makes me think of Jeff, and of little baby Phoenix :)
Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, storybook
Even when I was a very young child I really disliked this book. First, the dog is kept in that horrible store. Next, the other dogs bully him for being different; then Sammy Brown puts the 'being able' to dig condition on his love for the dog; and then turns around and rejects the dog when he does the exact activity that Sammy wanted him to do - to the point that the boy was going to return the dog to the horrible store. Again, the other dogs bully him for being different, to the point that one ...more
Lisa Arthur
Jan 28, 2013 Lisa Arthur rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The Digging-est Dog by Al Perkins.

It's a great book for children learning to read. Sammy Brown becomes the hero and does what every kids wants to do save animal from the pet shop. Sammy gets his own dog and names him Duke. I love how Sammy wants to teach Duke all he knows. Duke like any other pet with his love for his owner want to please him. Like children who want to make their parents happy sometimes finds a little trouble along the way or their good intention goes wrong. I think these are th
Aaron
Sep 13, 2015 Aaron rated it really liked it
digging-est Dog by Al Perkins was a great book growing up book that I read. I would recommend this to any kid or the parents of kids because you never know when your special ability. This book is about this dog that never got picked and the pet store but one day one kid came in a wanted to take this dog.
Maggie Klipp
Dec 03, 2013 Maggie Klipp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-stories
In this story, a young boy adopts a dog. The dog looked sad and the boy felt bad for him. When the boy brings him home, he loves him and wants him to stay forever. He even teaches the dog how to dig. However, the dog has a problem. He cannot stop digging. He digs everything up and the boy gets mad at him for it. The dog continues to dig through the town and destroy all kinds of things. He then gets trapped in one of his own holes and his dog friends and boy have to help get him out. Then the dog ...more
Rachel Brokaw
Sep 23, 2014 Rachel Brokaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
The Digging-est Dog is simply a fun children's book to pass the time. I chose this book because some books stick out in children's minds and this is one that stuck out to me from when I was a child. It is an entertaining read for very young children.
Diana
Jan 23, 2014 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I imagine I would have given this book four, or even five, stars were it not for the sequence in which the dog's owner seems to utterly disown him. It was really upsetting when the boy threatened to return the dog to the stone-floor prison from where he had come. I would be reluctant to expose a child to that aspect of this otherwise utterly charming story.
Judy
Jun 17, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-readers
My brothers read this book when they were growing up, but somehow I missed it. From the point of view of a dog, we learn how he adjusts from life at a pet store to life on a farm. Told in simple rhyme.
Angela
Nov 07, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-grade-books
Good for kindergarten and first grade. The story rhymes and has a lesson. When realizes he messed up, he good back and fixes it. Then he doesn't do it again.
Michelle Zeman
Apr 12, 2016 Michelle Zeman rated it it was amazing
Scott Hayden
Jun 09, 2014 Scott Hayden rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, peacemaking
I LOVE THIS BOOK! And Susanna the 5-year-old insisted it deserves 5 stars because "It's fun to read and it's exciting."

It is rich with examples of so many peacemaker principles.
- A good desire blown out of proportion.
- A community turning on one of its own.
- The necessity of community to rescue someone who's in too deep to help himself.
- How real repentance results in restitution.
- Restoration to usefulness.

One year, I read it to two fifth-grade classes within two weeks, to rapt attention. Yes,
Laurie
Aug 19, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books from my childhood. I have great memories of my dad reading this to me.
Diana Pettis
Jul 05, 2014 Diana Pettis rated it liked it
Beginner reader. I would recommend this for first or second graders especially if they like dogs.
Erma Talamante
Full review coming soon. Check here for updates:
iLa
May 16, 2014 iLa rated it it was amazing
Another one of my favorite childhood books. I can read this one with my eyes shut.
Scooter Reads
Duke not too smart. What dog don't know how to dig? Is part of being dog.
Rachael
Feb 23, 2015 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
All about going too far.
Anna
The Digging-est Dog is about a boy's dog who starts digging, and he ends up digging up the whole town.

This book could be used to teach children that it's okay to do activities that you enjoy, but in moderation, and to know when to stop.
Andrea
May 12, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious!
Dec 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
3.5 ...more
Kristen
Sep 18, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, childrens
This was supposedly the first book I ever read by myself... to this day, it is one of my favorite children's stories available. Though hard to find I bought a copy for when I have kids.

The poor puppy in the window who wants a home and some friends, and gets a bit over-excited about digging. But he learns his lesson in the end and has a home and friends to boot!

The drawings are adorable, the words are pretty easy for little ones, it is a wonderful book for your children.
Rainey
Chris
Mar 26, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stig-books
Stig loves this one and makes me read it over and over. It's one of those cool Seuss books not by Seuss. It's about a dog in a petshop. A boy takes him home and introduces him to the neighborhood dogs. Every is disappointed that he can not dig. The boy works hard to teach him to dig and then he takes to digging and digs up the whole town. It's a cute and funny story, which of course has a good lesson in the end.
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • The Very Bad Bunny (Beginner Books)
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Dirt on My Shirt
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...