Start by marking “Guns in the Gallery (Fethering, #13)” as Want to Read:
Guns in the Gallery (Fethering, #13)

Guns in the Gallery (Fethering Mystery #13)

A new Simon Brett is an event for mystery fans - Invited to a Private View of the work of controversial artist Denzil Willoughby, the good citizens of Fethering are not quite sure what to expect. And it turns out to be a lively affair, culminating in several embarrassing confrontations. But what no one could have anticipated was that the evening would end in sudden, violen ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Severn House

To ask other readers questions about Guns in the Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guns in the Gallery

Apr 16, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok
Love Simon Brett's writing style and his ability to produce so many books each year. I have read all the Fethering mysteries in order and this is the 13th.
The writing remains crisp and the interactions between the main characters excellent and always in keeping as their relationship has developed. However the contridictions are beginning to appear; last book it was ok to speak to an artist on the pretext of a commission in this book Jude feels that wouldn't be fair. I think this is a symptom th
John Lee
Nov 07, 2011 John Lee rated it liked it
I am a fan of the Fethering Mysteries and have read them all and so it was with great anticipation and delight that I opened this latest story of Carole and Jude's antics in their south coast village.

It was a good storyline that kept up the suspense until the last moment ( and I got it wrong !)but somehow, although all of the usual characters and haunts were there, something was missing and the book lacked the 'fizz' of its predecessors.
I wondered if the author thought the same way, as a comment
May 12, 2012 Mandolin rated it liked it
The private showing of a contemporary "concept artist's" work, which revolves around gun violence, isn't exactly Carole Seddon's cup of tea, but she reluctantly joins her friend and neighbor, Jude, for the evening's chance to learn more about the gallery's eccentric owner. The night's premier is upstaged, however, by the dramatic argument between the artist and a former lover, which is quickly followed by an explosive row between the gallery owner and a rival artist. As always seems to happen in ...more
Light reading, mystery set in West Sussex with two middle-aged female amateur sleuths. While not entirely convinced that people would tell such ladies so much when it really isn't any of their business, this series is enjoyable for its gentle social comment and observation (and it's very good for the background too). I loved this: "Though she didn't read the "Daily Mail" ... her mind could sometimes run on distressingly "Daily Mail" lines" - brilliant, sums up so much so succinctly! Fun to read, ...more
Suzie Grogan
Aug 08, 2015 Suzie Grogan rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series, they are undemanding and cosy crime at its best. Like Rosemary and Thyme on the telly though you wonder at the characters willingness to spill the beans to amateur sleuths and in this one Brett does take that a little too far, IMO. Still a nice ,lazy holiday read though..
Jul 30, 2015 Molly rated it liked it
Well, a light and pleasant read. Surprising number of new vocabulary words! Not very sophisticated except in how the story came together so well at the end. (Side Note: I was surprised how easily the characters in the book agreed to speak with Carol and/or Jude. Seemed too easy).
Sep 02, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Reading Simon Brett's Fethering mystery series is like watching a USA channel murder mystery series: the characters are likeable and attractive, the setting is picturesque, the plot draws you in without being terrible demanding. All in all, it's a very pleasant experience. This sounds like faint praise, but I was very happy to escape into the world of two middle-aged women/amateur sleuths in a seaside town in England for a while between reading books for book group or other should/could/would ti ...more
Nathalie S
Sep 27, 2013 Nathalie S rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed British author Simon Brett's "Fethering Mysteries" for several years now. I like the combination of straight laced retired civil servant Carole and new-age free-spirited healer Jude as they solve various mysteries which cross their paths. I always enjoy a mystery which revolves around the art world, art galleries and this one specifically a frame maker, which is the world my husband is involved in. This, as an aside, brings the always interesting question as to what really makes a p ...more
Mar 23, 2014 Meg rated it really liked it
Always a treat. I think there is one more title in this series, which will make me very sad!
Jun 13, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
I've been a bit tired of this series lately, but found this entry more interesting than most. Fennel Whittaker is talented but depressed, so it's not too surprising when she commits suicide--she even leaves a note. But she had been under treatment from Jude, who thought that she was making progress with the unhappy girl. Jude and her rigid friend Carole investigate, as they have often done before, and find many people had reasons to kill Fennel, including members of her wealthy family. Their det ...more
Sep 05, 2015 Junipa rated it liked it
An easy read. Didn't really engage me. Not a favourite but ok.
Feb 19, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I gave this 4 stars simply because I love the Fethering series and it's characters. The story was good with a simple plot. Typical of Brett, the villain is usually a side character that is rarely seen and everything gets linked together by a slim coincidence. Carol is the more realistic character and has shown growth over the course of the series whereas Brett is just beginning to offer insight into Jude's mind and backstory. Despite her empathy, Jude tends to get on my nerves. Still I love this ...more
Feb 24, 2015 Sianmorant rated it liked it
Not as good as some of the others in the series.
Nov 09, 2014 Margaret rated it liked it
This one was ok, but I wasn't really as engaged in this one as I have been with the others in the series. The characters involved in the plot weren't as interesting, and the story did little to advance the development of Jude's and Carole's characters.
Rianna Rowsell
Aug 24, 2016 Rianna Rowsell rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Did not pick the murderer, which is unusual.
Jan 10, 2014 Jenine rated it liked it
3plusplusplus. I like the characters and the sense of place. I get impatient with the psychology and the casual inclusion of a high body count (not that this book has lots of bodies, but cumulatively). Always he has a sureness of tone and commentary that is quite enjoyable.
Jan 16, 2014 Sally rated it liked it
Light hearted and enjoyable, (as far as a murder mystery can be!). I always enjoy Simon Brett's writing and love his gentle humour. Nothing earth shattering but an entertaining read.
Harry Lane
Jun 23, 2012 Harry Lane rated it it was ok
Pretty good read up until the last few pages. All the characters were well drawn and the plot moved along nicely enough. The idea of two women playing detective is somewhat implausible on its face, but is not that off-putting for a light mystery. Without spoiling the story, I'll just say that the murderer and motive, and the manner of its discovery were just a step beyond my suspension of disbelief.
Candy Wood
Jun 27, 2012 Candy Wood added it
Shelves: mysteries
This time Simon Brett gets in some criticism of contemporary art and artists, especially conceptual artists, as the duo of Carole and Jude solve (sort of) another murder. Jude even follows a suspect to London, so that the action moves briefly out of Fethering village. It's an enjoyable read, and probably the only crime novel ever to have scenes set in a "treatment yurt."
Jul 29, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
I've never read a Simon Brett mystery that I didn't love, and this one is no exception. In my opinion Brett is the master of the classic style mystery genre. Both the Feathering Series and the Charles Paris series rank among my favorite reads. Guns in the Gallery is a perfect example of the Brett style and and I recommended it very highly.
Jul 14, 2012 Lizzy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery, brit-lit
My second Fethering read. I think once was enough. Last time I was nodding off, this time I felt like I was plowing through pea soup in the fog. And then the ending??? There were enjoyable moments and I like the peek into British community life, but I think I'll give the Fethering nod to this series.
Apr 09, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it
I read this one over the weekend.
Okay, a cozy set in a seaside English village -- I think it's part of a series featuring two ladies who are Marple-style amateur detectives.
The book offered some art-world and village satire.
Ram Kaushik
Feb 28, 2012 Ram Kaushik rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A bit unbelievable but still enjoyable. Everyone seems to just volunteer critical information to two amateurs for no reason at all. I do like the deft turn of phrase and the prose is fluid.
Jan 26, 2013 April rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Solid cozy mystery series with a a extremely likeable amateur detective duo.I start other books and then think, ugh, I think I'll just read another Fethering Mysteries.
Mark Levine
Jun 02, 2012 Mark Levine rated it liked it
Man writing with women protagonists.Amateur sleuths solving crimes that the police can't or won't simply by nosing around.The premise is people talk to anyone.
Apr 06, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
The Title of this book does not go with the story at is a really good mystery novel but the title should've been something different.

Clare Coffey
Jun 08, 2013 Clare Coffey rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book, despite the rather poor ending. The murderer was the least person, I suspected- lots of twists and turns!
Oct 01, 2012 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another good and entertaining contemporary British mystery that takes place in a small coastal village.
David Stimpson
Jan 06, 2014 David Stimpson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story ..good characters ..will have to read book 1 in the series
Jan 13, 2014 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: female-mc, british, cozy, 2012
impossible to believe people tell these busybodies anything
  • The Hidden
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • The Ambleside Alibi (Persimmon Brown, #2)
  • Dead Men Don't Ski
  • Monash: The Outsider Who Won a War
  • Grievous Angel
  • Old Enemies
  • Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Burial Of Ghosts
  • One Sunday
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • The Last Explorer: Hubert Wilkins, Hero of the Great Age of Polar Exploration
  • A Perfect Death (Wesley Peterson, #13)
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)
  • The Riverside Villas Murder
  • The Color of Blood (Ed Loy, #2)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)