Radiate

Radiate

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  79 reviews

At first Hayley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything she’s worked for seems out of reach. But Hayley is strong. She’...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Graphia

To ask other readers questions about Radiate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radiate

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. SmithMy Life Next Door by Huntley FitzpatrickEasy by Tammara WebberGraffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
2012 YA Contemporary Challenge!
147th out of 213 books — 1,290 voters
The Immortal Rules by Julie KagawaThe Selection by Kiera CassGrave Mercy by Robin LaFeversUnraveling by Elizabeth NorrisMasque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
2012 April YA Releases
50th out of 87 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
"This is a story of how cheerleading saved my life"

Some may be thinking "Aww poor her she was a loser and being a popular cheerleader "saved her"". Nope: We're talking cancer. We're talking honest to goodness heartfelt emotions. Although this is not about the cancer itself more than it's about the power of positive attitude. After reading this, I truly believe that we have the power to make our own miracles. It's an inspiration to all who are going through a rough patch. Don't ever believe you c...more
Bookish♥Sarah

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

Radiate is the story of Hayley Matthews. Hayley wants more out of her high school experience. Things aren't bad, but they could be more exciting. Going into her senior year, Hayley tries out for the cheerleading squad - and makes it. Cheerleading makes Hayley feel free and happy, not to mention making the squad has made her level of popularity shoot through the roof. Things couldn't be any better. Or could they? The hottest, most popul...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I knew going into this book that I was going to cry. I mean how could I not with a synopsis like that one? I just knew it was going to be an emotional ride and I wasn't wrong, not at all.

This story is amazing. It is one of those stories that can make you a better person and want to live life to the fullest. To not take anything for granted and to just...love and live like we are meant to do. To be happy, with life and with ourselves.

I absolutely adored Hayley. So strong and brave and just good....more
Julia
I kept hearing about the book through Marley's Facebook and was going to get it when it came out. When I went to the event in Gettysburg and saw she had copies for sale, I didn't hesitate in getting my own copy - a little over a week early!

Little did I know that when I started to read it last night (March 26) that I'd finish it tonight (March 27). I could not put this book down at all. It dove into the story of Hayley Matthews that finds out she has cancer in her leg. It really goes through the...more
Carla
Caution: Some language in this book may not be suitable for all readers.

So I only have one word to describe this book. Awe! I am totally in awe of the strength and courage of Hayley! Radiate is the story of Hayley Matthews who in her senior year of high school wants to do something more with her life. She has been in the high school band and made it through most of her high school years unnoticed. But she is tired of blending in. She wants to finally stand out! To be noticed. To do something MO...more
Nicola
I was very much drawn to this book for a number of reasons. The cover is very striking; its bright colours certainly make it stand out. The description also managed to be both sad and hopeful at the same time and there was just no way I could not read this one as I needed to know how things were going to work out for Hayley. Radiate definitely didn't let me down and I'm so glad I got the chance to read this special book.

The protagonist, Hayley, has finally gotten everything she has ever dreamed...more
Novels On The Run
I went out on a limb and read something that is just "normal"! No vampires, zombies, were's, fae creatures, etc!!! And I really really enjoyed RADIATE.
As the mother of a Cheerleader, Radiate caught my attention as there aren't too many cheerleader based fiction books available in Australia. And if something is going to get my 14yo to read a book - it'll be something with Cheerleaders in it!!

Radiate brings us the story of Hayley Matthews - "band geek" and desperate to be a somebody.....what bette...more
Marissa Novels On The Run

Radiate by Marley Gibson has a really powerful message about a teen overcoming cancer (yes, it's another one of those stories) but there was so much about this book, in terms of its characterization and dialog that I have a difficult time in fully embracing this story.

Synopsis: Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time.Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose...more
Jaclyn
I loved this book! A very relatable, real girl, who has always felt like a nobody decides to just go for it and tries out for cheerleader her Senior Year.

To her surprise she makes it and throws herself into the parties, cheering and social life expected. She is enjoying her new lifestyle until a pain in her leg at cheerleading practice brings her to the doctor and a scary diagnosis.

The story is not religious, although there are times she mentions praying and God. But there are also times when...more
Amanda
Going into her senior year, Hayley wanted popularity and something more. She joined the cheerleading squad, boosting her into popularity. A few weeks into training, she discovers a lump in her leg and it is diagnosed as cancer. This is the story of how she deals with the hand she's been given and how she influences others.

Really good read.
Joana (The Boundless Book List)
This is the story of Hayley Matthews, a high school senior who has just made the varsity cheerleading squad at her school when she is diagnosed with cancer. The first half of the book is dedicated to the cancer discovery and treatment. Most of it is set in the hospital where she stays for a lengthy period of time because of the various surgeries she has to undergo, chemo and radiation. The author goes into great detail about all three, which is great, but it was also a little confusing at times...more
Zoe and the Edge
(Pre-review ramblings: I had a hard time rating this book. I kept going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars. 4 stars for the fact that this is based on a true life girl. 3 stars for sketchy plot. 4 stars for Hayley. 3 stars for lack of romance. 4 stars for awesome characters. 3 stars for that weird thing with Gabriel. 4 stars for almost making me cry. 3 stars for being cheesy.)

Review
A knock on the driver's window scares hell and four dollars out of me.

Hayley is not your usual heroine. She thriv...more
Howdy YAL
Really deserves 3.5 stars

See Full Review Here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Note, I received a free copy via Net Galley. This did not affect my review or feelings of the book.

I liked a lot of things about this book. I thought it had a great message. Having a positive attitude is probably the best and in some cases the only way to fight cancer (besides having a kick ass oncologist) and Haley definitely has it. Occasionally though Hayley come off a bit Pollyanna-ish and makes the read...more
Janice
I've been hearing about this book for months and have been dying to read it. I was able to get my hands on a couple early from Marley at an event. Once I started reading I just couldn't put it down.
A fictional story based on the real events that happened in Marley's life, the reader connects with the characters. I've always loved Marley's characters because you can connect with them, and understand them.
I've already recommended the books to friends. This is an amazing and inspiring story of how...more
Colleen Houck
I was asked to do an official blurb for this book so here it is.

RADIATE is a word that aptly describes this new novel by Marley Gibson. Hayley’s startling journey as a teen fighting cancer is intense and astonishing and I found myself caught in the tight grip of hope and determination. A story as extraordinary and as powerful as this one will affect the reader long after the book is finished, especially after knowing the source of the author’s inspiration.
Patrick
Being a man in his 40's, I'm not EXACTLY the core demographic this book is after. But this is an amazing story, and the fact its based on a true story makes it all the more amazing. Make sure you have a box of tissues near by!
Angie
pretty southern girl meets cancer, and faces the challenge head-on. awesome story, even with the over-the-top secondary cancer story in it, and the all-too-perfect ending. i would like to be as strong as this girl.
Debra

For a more detailed review, please visit my blog -

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs
Nanci
What an uplifting book this was! This is a great read, one that will stick with you. 5 stars!
Jessica
An incredible story of overcoming. If this book does not move you to tears, you have no soul!
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Hayley is such an inspiring character. She's so positive and I'd hope that if I ever got cancer, I could keep that kind of attitude. This is more than a book about cancer though, it is a book about survival, the bonds of family, and about living to fight another day so that you can do what you love. Hayley was so strong, and it kinda inspired me to be a better person. She went through so much more than I have and I've been much more down than her, but I love that she still made time for others,...more
Misty Baker
On the front cover of this novel there is a quote by author Simone Elkles

“Radiate shows readers the power of positive thinking can change lives.”

This is without a doubt the most accurate statement I’ve ever seen splayed across the front of a book before. Normally they are just puff to entice the reader.

“Engrossing…thrilling ride!” “Utterly amaaaazing!” “Give me more…rah rah rah!”

What exactly are we supposed to take away from those? That the author had this book shoved down their throat by the p...more
Jayne
First off, the fact that this is a true story makes it about 5,000 times better. It came from the heart of the author, ( Marley Gibson ), and was based on her experience. A few people have said, oh well, it was boring. Weelllll it definately was NOT. This book was AWESOME. Hayley Mathews wants to be something more, she wants to be seen, heard, not that random face in the crowd. Soo she decides to try out for Polk High's cheer team. She made it to! Hayley puts everything into cheerleading. But th...more
Michelle Sallay
Imagine taking cancer and turning it into a pancake and then piling candy, syrup, whipped cream, ice cream, and a couple of hostess cupcakes on top...that is this book.

It is so sugary sweet it made me crazy. Never once does Hayley think she might die because she has cancer, she is just upset that she won't make it to cheer camp. I could not like this girl, she may have inspired her town but she just annoyed me.

It felt like the author was writing dialouge like how she thinks teenagers talk, but...more
Kat Black
This book brought tears and a missed subway stop. My son is an osteosarcoma survivor. He did 8 months of chemo and two operations. His thigh bone was replaced with an allograph (a cadaver bone). He's still on crutches but his attitude was exactly that of your character. He's amazing and I'm blessed to have him. 9 Months cancer free and looking forward to forever. Thanks for sharing.
Kat
Mary Denise
This is very inspirational! Learning to deal with sickness and death...while staying positive. If only we could all deal as well as the main character here does!
Carissa
I normally don't give books with curse words in it more than three stars as a personal preference. But since the book had an awesome message don't give up, and don't let cancer beat you. And the fact that it was fiction based on real life events I just had to give it four stars. Curse words aside it was a great book. a Riveting read; the book review will be up soon.

first reviewed at

Pag...more
Karen Anderson
Aug 28, 2012 Karen Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Marley Gibson
First off- I wasn't really sure if this would be the type of book I would like.
I won the book from Marley through a contest on Facebook.
I had a couple of books I wanted to read before I sat down to read Radiate.
Once I got to reading the book, it was very hard to put down. The story drew me in because it is so honest. It was something that could easily happen. The fact that it closely mimicked the authors life made me that much more interested in reading it. I knew that much of the emotions and...more
Bundles of
Title: Radiate
Author: Marley Gibson
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Age Group: 12- 18 years
Paperback: 416 pages
Source: *2 copies* Publisher and Author

Book Synopsis: Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time. Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose her leg. Or maybe her life. At first Haley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything...more
  • The International Kissing Club
  • Addison Blakely:  Confessions of a PK
  • Just Flirt
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • 37 Things I Love (in No Particular Order)
  • Jersey Angel
  • Lucky Fools
  • Wanted
  • Between You & Me
  • The Boy Project: Notes and Observations of Kara McAllister
  • The Stalker Chronicles
  • First Date
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Circle of Silence (WiHi, #2)
  • Belles (Belles, #1)
  • Who I Kissed
  • Torn
Marley Gibson is the author of the hit young adult paranormal fiction series, "Ghost Huntress," from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Graphia line, as well as "Radiate," which is a fictionalized version of the cancer she went through as a teenage cheerleader.

Gibson was featured on the premiere episode of The Biography Channel’s "My Ghost Story," as well as being interviewed by CNN.com for a Halloween f...more
More about Marley Gibson...
The Awakening (Ghost Huntress, #1) The Guidance (Ghost Huntress, #2) The Reason (Ghost Huntress, #3) The Counseling (Ghost Huntress, #4) The Discovery (Ghost Huntress, #5)