A Boy Named Walter

A Boy Named Walter

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this compelling narrative, twelve-year-old Walter escapes from yet another abusive foster home and creates a new life for himself, entirely on his own. Based on a true story, you'll be inspired by Walter's unbelievable courage, determination, and self-sufficiency as it leads him through both school and life.
Published October 4th 2011 by Cedar Fort

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Named Walter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Boy Named Walter

Shania
I won this book on a Good Reads giveaway. I was really happy when it arrived in the mail, it was in great shape too.
So I was pretty much hooked on the first page, which is always likable about a book. This book has got to be up there on the list with books that most inspire you. It inspired me SO MUCH. From start to finish, I admired Walter and his bravery and courage to move forward in life, and to forget the bad things-- to make the rest of his life worthwhile. It touched me in a way I'll nev...more
Kirt Forakis
I could not imagine growing up in Walter's situation and still accomplishing what he did. Walter is tossed around in foster care for years until he runs away at a very young age.

What do you think an 11 year old would do on his own? Would you think get a job, go to school and live like any loving parent would want an 11 year old to do? I sure didn't. I didn't realize how many kids are in a similar situation either.

Walter makes the most out of his bleak situation and gains friends along the way w...more
Kitty
This was well written, covered many important topics to help kids cope, but they never addressed the fact that this happened a long time ago and if a child tried to do this now lots of bad things could happen..
Rebecca
Feb 01, 2012 Rebecca rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
This book had a lot of potential! I feel like the main character wasn't developed nearly enough. I didn't get to know Walter. The story could be inspiring if it were written more like a based-on-a-true-story novel than grandpa's personal history as told to his granddaughter. Is that harsh? It seems like the book was written more for maybe young teens? But I don't think it would hold the interest of young teens.
Michelle
I really enjoyed this quick read. The challenges Walter faced are heartbreaking. His story of taking control and following the wise words of his teachers despite his circumstances is inspiring.

I encourage you to read this book and then share it with your child. Walter's story is one to be shared.

Brandielle
A really good middle school age story. It covered hard subjects dealing with foster care but in a very hopeful way. The 'Did You Know' segments were a little heavy-handed for me but might be fine for kids.
Minzi
This is easy to read and good for kids. I would say 6th grade on up. My CASA book club read this as a selection.
Molly

I loved this book! An easy read... Truthful in a way that makes you grateful. Great book for young readers.
Polly Edgerton
I met Walter today. I will be ordering this book today. ;)
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Kristen Crabtree
Kristen Crabtree marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
~*Ro*~
~*Ro*~ marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2013
Janis Sheldon
Janis Sheldon marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2012
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2012
Nic
Nic marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
Diane G.
Diane G. marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2012
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2012
Andrea Wondra
Andrea Wondra marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2012
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2012
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Growing Up in Africa: The True Adventures of Two American Children in the Wilds of Africa Chester the Chimpanzee A Boy Named Walter