Start by marking “The Lady's Scandalous Night (Tang Dynasty, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Lady's Scandalous Night (Tang Dynasty, #2.5)

Read Excerpt

The Lady's Scandalous Night (Tang Dynasty #2.5)

Tang Dynasty China, 759 A.D.

Yao Ru Jiang, known as River, has woven many romantic dreams of honorable swordsman Wei Chen from her brother's stories. Their meeting should have been a happy event; instead, Chen arrives to tell River he is duty bound to kill her brother for rebelling against the warlord they both serve.

River would do anything to distract the handsome, conflic
Published September 1st 2011 by Harlequin Historical Undone (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady's Scandalous Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady's Scandalous Night

Melissa
Jan 28, 2017 Melissa rated it liked it

This is the prequel to a later book (The Dragon and the Pearl) in the Tang Dynasty series. This story gives a good romance (separate couple from that later book) while also setting up the back story for the next book. Yao Ru Jiang (aka River) is the sister of AWOL soldier (aka Mountain) from the regional warlord; Wei Chen is the Rising Guard member sent to hunt down and kill Mountain, who is forming a rebellion to fight the warlord, and has put his entire family in harm's way. Wei Chen visits Mo
Hannah
This short story is obviously a companion piece to the novel The Dragon and the Pearl; in hindsight, it would probably have been better if the novel was read prior to this novella, since the novel contains the main storyline while this was really an off-shoot. I unwisely figured that reading either first would work and thus was left with a number of gaps - I haven't the faintest idea what River's brother, Ru Shan, was supposed to have done!

However, what is most important is that Jeannie Lin had
Lexie
Aug 22, 2011 Lexie rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
This was a different sort of story from BUTTERFLY SWORDS. Maybe because of the short nature or maybe because the characters were already half in love (and lust) before ever clapping eyes on each other, the story moved quickly. It never felt rushed or abrupt, just quickly paced.

Lin does mention this reads along side her upcoming novel THE DRAGON AND THE PEARL, which is about General Li Tao (who Wei Chen serves under) and the ending of this story must mirror an event that happens in THE DRAGON si
MBR
Full review can be found here.

Rating=3.75/5

Rated as a GOOD READ from the sunny side of life!

Review goes live at 00:00 hours MVT on February 22, 2013!
Stefanie London
Set in the era of the Tang Dynasty 759 A.D, The Lady's Scandalous Night is a treat for those looking for a historical a little less conventional. The heroine, Yao Ru Jiang, aka River, finally meets the man her brother’s best friend, Wei Chen. However, instead of them meeting and falling in love as River has always dreamed, Wei Chen arrives with the devastating news that he has been sent to kill her brother.

Ru Shan has rebelled against Governor Li Tao, the warlord that both he and Wei Chen serve.
Aoi
Mar 29, 2012 Aoi rated it really liked it
Shelves: hf-china
Done with another of Ms.Lin's books. I know it's not her fault, but what IS with the covers. People are starting to take notice of her works; the publisher should provide her better than such sub standard covers..

The book acts as a sort of side-story to the story of Li Tao. As short as the length was, i enjoyed reading it thoroughly. Again, there is a conflict created between duty and love; and Ms. Lin's characters acquitted themselves splendidly.

Though the plot angle itself is well used in fic
Morwa Pal
Oct 02, 2011 Morwa Pal rated it it was amazing
Once again, Jeannie Lin draws us into the world of Tang Dynasty China with a tale of love that is both sexy and sweet.

Yao Ru Jiang, called River, would do anything to save her rebel brother. Even seduce his executioner. Wei Chen wants nothing less than to hunt and kill his longtime friend for betraying their commander, but he is bound by honor to bring him to justice.

When he is waylaid by River’s charms, will Chen lose the trail of the outlaw, or will he lose his heart?

The Lady’s Scandalous Nig
Katie
May 06, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
Aw, this was wonderful. I'd just finished a disappointing book and then read the Dear Author review for this and was intrigued. I'd been interested in checking out Jeannie Lin for a while and figured a novella could be just what I needed right now.

This was a different kind of story, set in China's Tang Dynasty (take note, friends who want different settings!) and it just WORKED. The couple meets for the first time, but they've known of each other and dreamed of each other, so I believed in the l
Cate Rowan
Sep 10, 2011 Cate Rowan rated it it was amazing
I loooved this short story! The author has an amazing touch with emotion, description, angst (in a really good way), and incredibly sensual love scenes. It's a quick, gorgeous read and very satisfying. I did wonder a little about one piece of the ending, but I have a strong suspicion that it relates to the forthcoming novel, The Dragon and the Pearl, which I'm EAGERLY awaiting. (Li Tao's story, finally!)

If you haven't read her first short, The Taming of Mei Lin, DO IT NOW. It's one of my favorit
Shopgirl
Apr 28, 2015 Shopgirl rated it really liked it
This one worked much better for me than "The Taming of Mei Lin". With the characters, everything just fit together really well and I had no problems believing these two could be in love even after having just met formally for the first time. The end wraps up a bit too cleanly for my taste, and I was left feeling like I missed something because I have no idea what Ru Shan did--either to force himself into hiding then to get himself out of it--leading me to believe that this must be an off-shoot o ...more
Librariasaurus
Apr 20, 2015 Librariasaurus rated it liked it
Andita
Nov 01, 2015 Andita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure...

I felt it was a scandalous night. She slept with him to give her family time to get away. I felt like that was honorable. I also felt they had a connection between them that she would have slept with him regardless of situation.
Megan
Mar 23, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Atrocious cover but a compelling little story. Jeannie Lin writes well in such a short format and manages to tap into some deep emotional veins and interesting character dynamics, but I kind of feel the external plot in this one just kind of fizzled out.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Chinese Tang Dynasty
Caroline
Jan 30, 2017 Caroline rated it liked it
The previous story left me wanting more of Ru Shan than this novella really delivered, but I liked the glimpse of these new characters that we got.
feux d'artifice
Dec 12, 2013 feux d'artifice rated it liked it
Shelves: poc-author, romance
rating is 3.5 stars. half a star taken off for ending.
all my stars were awarded based on pure enjoyment I derived out of reading this.
Shawntelle Madison
Aug 22, 2011 Shawntelle Madison rated it it was amazing
I've had a chance to read this book and it's fabulous! Jeannie Lin does a wonderful job of creating a sensual world and I can't wait for others to read this ebook! :)
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Karrie
Karrie rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Aimi
Aimi rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Bremonline
Bremonline rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2014
Cid Tyer
Cid Tyer rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Katycalen
Katycalen rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Ruby
Ruby rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2014
Isa Lavinia
Isa Lavinia rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2013
May
May rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2011
Banesa
Banesa rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Cat's Tale: A Fairy Tale Retold
  • An Accidental Seduction (Accidental, #1)
  • A Dark and Brooding Gentleman
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • A Lesson in Chemistry with Inspector Bruce (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #2.5)
  • Secrets for Seducing a Royal Bodyguard (The Renegade Royals, #1)
  • Her Risk to Take (Her, #3)
  • What the Bride Didn't Know (The Wests, #3)
  • A Very Sinful Valentine (Addicted, #2.2)
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Hidden Honor
  • Burn For Me (Secrets & Shadows, #0.5)
  • Behind the Mask (The Associates #4)
  • Dancer of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #3)
  • White Tigress (Tigress, #1)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • Three Weddings and a Murder
USA TODAY Bestselling author Jeannie Lin grew up fascinated with stories of Western epic fantasy and Eastern martial arts adventures. When her best friend introduced her to romance novels in middle school, the stage was set. Jeannie started writing her first romance while working as a high school science teacher in South Central Los Angeles. After four years of trying to break into publishing with ...more
More about Jeannie Lin...

Tang Dynasty (5 books)
  • Butterfly Swords (Tang Dynasty, #1)
  • The Dragon and the Pearl (Tang Dynasty, #2)
  • My Fair Concubine (Tang Dynasty, #3)
  • The Sword Dancer (Lovers and Rebels, #1; Tang Dynasty, #4)
  • A Dance with Danger (Lovers and Rebels, #2; Tang Dynasty, #5)