Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic

Crossroads: Tales of the Southern Literary Fantastic

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
As William Faulkner once observed, "The past isn't dead. It isn't even past." And the past of the American South lives on in a long literary tradition where fantasy and reality blur. It is evident in the writing of giants such as Faulkner himself, Flannery O'Connor, Mark Twain, Edgar Allan Poe, Manly Wade Wellman, Truman Capote, Alice Walker, and many others. Steeped in th...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Tor Books

Althea Ann
2.96 average rounds up (just a tiny bit) to 3 stars.
Definitely a higher quality of writing, overall, than found in many genre anthologies.

*** A Place of Mojo - Honoree Fanonne Jeffers. Impressive story, really well-written, and I felt like it accurately captured elements of Southern African-American society, just post-slavery. However, it's really not 'fantastic.'

**** The Wounded - Richard Butner. Shades of H.P. Lovecraft here, in this tale of a Korean War vet turned photography student, who un...more
Res
Some of the stories are amateurish (I assume because they were trying to achieve some sort of balance, by age, geography, race, whatever), and several of them are only "fantastic" in the vaguest way and would be perfectly at home in a mundane anthology.

Two fanfic stories: one on Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily" (not impressive; too much 'oh, get a load of this, this is gonna be sooooo creepy, you won't believe it,' so that when it's finally revealed, though it's deeply creepy, it's still anticlima...more
Isidore
A good collection, with the contributions by Wolfe ("Houston, 1943"), Kessel ("Every Angel is Terrifying"), and Jeffers ("A Plate of Mojo") particularly effective. Not all of the tales have a notably regional flavour: among these is McDowell's "Making Faces", a tedious catalogue of teen culture combined with teen horror movie plot which could be taking place anywhere in the US--easily the nadir of the book.
Warren Rochelle
Another book of my To-Be-Read Shelf. Excellent collection--yes, as Catherine says, some stories I liked better than others--but, yes, all here are worth reading. Some are quite beautiful and this is a good exploration of the Southern Literary Fantastic. Only a couple I couldn't quite figure out why they were in the collection. Well done, Andy and Brett.
Jean
Perfect name for this book, the numinous southernness of "the crossroads." Blues, the devil, goth rural life, weirdness. The first story in the book "Plate of Mojo" by Honoree Fannone Jeffers, was so unique and strong, I had to give the anthology a rest after reading it. It just didn't seem fair to put any other story up against it.
Fran
I had a copy of Crossroads ages ago and lent it out. It didn't return... so I finally obtained another copy and am still enamored with this collection. If you want to borrow it, LMK - you'll just need to sign a few dozen contracts and leave me your car keys in return.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Newton Newton
Newton Newton marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2013
Brandon Barron
Brandon Barron marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
Hank
Hank marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2012
Contrarius
Contrarius marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2011
Chad
Chad is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2011
Tay
Tay marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2011
Odette
Odette marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2011