Start by marking “Dolores” as Want to Read:
Dolores

Dolores

175 pages
Published 1976 by Bantam Doubleday Dell (first published 1975)

Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
"Dolores" by Jacqueline Susann is a short, thinly-veiled, semi-biographical book...about Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis...and it was Susann's last book... It was written when she was dying of cancer... Supposedly her buddy Rex Reed worked on it along side her...or finished it for her...

"Dolores" is not her best work, though..."Valley of the Dolls" is far more entertaining and "Once is Never Enough" is way more lascivious...

It's not a lousy book...but it feels...incomplete...more like a sketched outl
Louise
Having just finished a biography of Jacqueline Susann (Lovely Me), I wanted to try a Susann novel. I had never read a one before, and was curious to see if my impression of her writing was correct. This one may not be typical. Like all her novels, this one was heavily edited and may have been added to. Since this one was published after Susann's death, she did not get a final say. I chose it merely because it was short.

The book is a thinly veiled take on why and how Jackie Kennedy became Jackie
Lloyd Scott
Oct 30, 2009 Lloyd Scott rated it it was ok

I believe this was Ms. Susann's last book before she died, it was published posthumously. The one good thing that I enjoy about authors like she and others is they keep the story simple and easy to read, there aren't too many characters to keep up with in this book. Too bad this book will be compared to her other books but that's show biz. The ending was terrific, so kudos to her for that, other than that it was just another novel at the time that she wrote and this was it.
Laurie
Jun 03, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Kimberly
Sep 17, 2016 Kimberly rated it liked it
meh..
Sherry
Oct 20, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it
I got this book from a small old bookshop which barely had any English books. I got hold of this because I liked the synopsis.

It tells us the bitter reality of high-class society and rich people, the problems you face when you've indulged yourself into too much luxury, the unimaginable turns your blood relations can take just for money and popularity, how you your own blood can manipulate you and use you as a bait for their hunt and so on...

Since the beginning of the story, the author lays the
Jessica Campese
Jul 15, 2007 Jessica Campese rated it it was ok
This is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I couldn’t put down. I procured it as one of 20 terrible, old, beautifully trashy books found in a 'free' bin outside a secondhand store in Geneva. My attraction to these 20 books was twofold. First, they were free, which is a rare quality in Switzerland. Second, they’re in English, and my French is too poor even for the simplistic smut and old-school Stephen King offered up in this pile of 20 free books. Dolores – promising at the outset becaus ...more
Manoja K.
This book is not at good as her other books (not including "Everynight Josephine"). Her other books were so deliciously trashy and this book has that same element, but shorter and does not have the spark. But considering that she was writing this while she was battling cancer, she did a really good job.
Claire
Sep 05, 2008 Claire rated it liked it
This novel is a thinly veiled account of the life of Jackie O. It's about a woman who is married to an Irish Catholic president who is assisnated during a parade. The main character goes on to live a glamorous life in NYC.
Linda
Sep 01, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
A widowed first lady marries one of the world's richest men. Sound familiar?
Stacy Mar
Oct 10, 2016 Stacy Mar rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting.

There's just something deliciously mesmerizing about such elegantly wrapped smut.

This story compares in no way to Valley of the Dolls. More of a novella, and quite short, it almost felt like the shell of a book. But it read well and I couldn't put it down, so I really can't complain.

Suzann wrote this book whilst dying of cancer and it was officially published after her death. I'd say she did a fine job considering her physical condition.
Rainey
May 22, 2014 Rainey rated it really liked it
Shelves: 140-in-2014
Susann is often criticized as being a writer of little talent writing only smut. I believe that it is a mistake to lump all women's fiction into a group that many see as shallow and without merit. Dolores is a fictionalized account not of Jackie O but of the woman Jackie could have easily been. Saddled with the reputation of her old money family- now without a dollar- Dolores and her sister Nita are each expected to make a lucrative match. Nita finds a title and an unlimited source of disposable ...more
Caroline
Oct 01, 2011 Caroline rated it it was ok
Shelves: bad-women
I'm starting to think this book was an exact ripoff of wharton's Summer. Superimposed onto the life of Jackie Kennedy. Tho one features a poor woman and the other rich, their stunted love stories are almost identical. Of course I'm sure there are about a billion books on people marrying for practical reasons rather than passion.

Umm I stole it from the work used bookshelf. And I want to read it this weekend while relaxing and taking the waters. Or whatever I do during the weekends I don't have t
Kathryn
Sep 09, 2016 Kathryn rated it it was ok
To be fair, I recall reading that Susann had written this toward the end of her life, and she was pretty sick by then. Dolores wasn't really supposed to be a book, but a piece for a magazine, IIRC - a "Jackie by Jackie" story that became a novella. It's basically a fictionalized account of Jacqueline Kennedy's life after JFK's assassination - her courtship with a rich Greek businessman. The writing is choppy and probably should have been polished more.
Ashley
Aug 22, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
The end of the novel was the only time i felt sorry for Dolores. And even then just barely. I didn't like a single character in the book. I'm sure this book was written purely for fluff reading, but it just made me so angry. I couldn't handle how little anyone cared for anything but money. Is this the kind of stuff women in the 70's really enjoyed reading? And i only picked this up because the bookstore i bought it from didn't have Valley of the Dolls. Is that even worth reading?
Lisa James
Apr 05, 2016 Lisa James rated it liked it
From the author of Valley of the Dolls, which I still have not read, is a novella of a beautiful woman's journey from relative obscurity to the pinnacle of success as a President's wife, back to being a Garbo like legend, & her love, & her subsequent life of empty luxury... a reminder that money cannot truly buy you happiness.....
Maryann Fox
I had read this book several years ago, and decided to reread it after reading the new Jackie Kennedy Onassis book. It is a fictional story based on the days of Jackie after the assassination of her husband and her remarriage.
M'diya
May 01, 2012 M'diya rated it really liked it
A good book. Every character is critical. A sad ending. The book left me depressed. I'll now move on to some book that takes me out of this sadness.
Joy
Jan 21, 2010 Joy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I picked it up for fun and am quite enjoying it. Although, the Jackie O inspiration is pretty obvious.
Melanie
Jan 23, 2009 Melanie rated it liked it
Not nearly as spectacular her other books...this one is lacking in its juiciness factor, charachter developement, and excitement; but still, typical js entertainment.
Molly Lannin
Dec 23, 2014 Molly Lannin rated it liked it
I religiously read all of Susann's books because Valley of the Dolls toyed with my emotions. This was the 4th of hers I read, and while it was fairly interesting, it wasn't my favorite of hers.
Scarlett Pierson
Aug 27, 2015 Scarlett Pierson rated it really liked it
Love Susann's writing bc in one place it's unreal to me but in another's mind it's very real. So sad and deceived are the women she writes. Makes me want to Reread her other novels!
Bipin
Bipin rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
May 12, 2009
so ya so
so ya so rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
Krisi Kranz
Krisi Kranz rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
chantal Rich
chantal Rich rated it really liked it
May 09, 2007
Keri
Keri rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Heather Himes
Heather Himes rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2008
  • Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann
  • Carpool Diem
  • The Lonely Lady
  • First Love
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Vintage
  • Lace II
  • To My Senses (Nicci Beauvoir, #1)
  • Sins
  • The Long Lost
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • A WAG Abroad (WAGs Diary, #2)
  • This Could Have Been Our Song! A Coulda Woulda Shoulda Ballad (Coulda Woulda Shoulda Songs #1)
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • Saffron Skies
  • Flophouse: Life on the Bowery
  • Filthy Rich
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
Jacqueline Susann was one of the most successful writers in the history of American publishing. Her first novel, Valley of the Dolls, published in 1966, is one of the best-selling books of all time. When The Love Machine was published in 1969, it too became an immediate #1 bestseller and held that position for five months. When Once is Not Enough was published in 1973, it also moved to the top of ...more
More about Jacqueline Susann...