Start by marking “Dolores” as Want to Read:
Dolores

Dolores

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  447 ratings  ·  30 reviews
175 pages
Published 1976 by Bantam Doubleday Dell (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Dolores, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dolores

Magic America by C.E. MedfordSam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Short Novels
12th out of 50 books — 28 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoLolita by Vladimir NabokovKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiHeist Society by Ally Carter
Bifocals!
71st out of 134 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Louise
Having just finished a biography of Jacqueline Susann (Lovely Me), I wanted to try a Susann novel. I had never read a one before, and was curious to see if my impression of her writing was correct. This one may not be typical. Like all her novels, this one was heavily edited and may have been added to. Since this one was published after Susann's death, she did not get a final say. I chose it merely because it was short.

The book is a thinly veiled take on why and how Jackie Kennedy became Jackie
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
"Dolores" by Jacqueline Susann is a short, thinly-veiled, semi-biographical book...about Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis...and it was Susann's last book... It was written when she was dying of cancer... Supposedly her buddy Rex Reed worked on it along side her...or finished it for her...

"Dolores" is not her best work, though..."Valley of the Dolls" is far more entertaining and "Once is Never Enough" is way more lascivious...

It's not a lousy book...but it feels...incomplete...more like a sketched outl
Lloyd Scott

I believe this was Ms. Susann's last book before she died, it was published posthumously. The one good thing that I enjoy about authors like she and others is they keep the story simple and easy to read, there aren't too many characters to keep up with in this book. Too bad this book will be compared to her other books but that's show biz. The ending was terrific, so kudos to her for that, other than that it was just another novel at the time that she wrote and this was it.
Sherry
I got this book from a small old bookshop which barely had any English books. I got hold of this because I liked the synopsis.

It tells us the bitter reality of high-class society and rich people, the problems you face when you've indulged yourself into too much luxury, the unimaginable turns your blood relations can take just for money and popularity, how you your own blood can manipulate you and use you as a bait for their hunt and so on...

Since the beginning of the story, the author lays the
Laurie
Jessica Campese
This is one of the worst books I've ever read, and I couldn’t put down. I procured it as one of 20 terrible, old, beautifully trashy books found in a 'free' bin outside a secondhand store in Geneva. My attraction to these 20 books was twofold. First, they were free, which is a rare quality in Switzerland. Second, they’re in English, and my French is too poor even for the simplistic smut and old-school Stephen King offered up in this pile of 20 free books. Dolores – promising at the outset becaus ...more
Rainey
Susann is often criticized as being a writer of little talent writing only smut. I believe that it is a mistake to lump all women's fiction into a group that many see as shallow and without merit. Dolores is a fictionalized account not of Jackie O but of the woman Jackie could have easily been. Saddled with the reputation of her old money family- now without a dollar- Dolores and her sister Nita are each expected to make a lucrative match. Nita finds a title and an unlimited source of disposable ...more
Manoja K.
This book is not at good as her other books (not including "Everynight Josephine"). Her other books were so deliciously trashy and this book has that same element, but shorter and does not have the spark. But considering that she was writing this while she was battling cancer, she did a really good job.
Claire
This novel is a thinly veiled account of the life of Jackie O. It's about a woman who is married to an Irish Catholic president who is assisnated during a parade. The main character goes on to live a glamorous life in NYC.
Linda
A widowed first lady marries one of the world's richest men. Sound familiar?
Kathryn
To be fair, I recall reading that Susann had written this toward the end of her life, and she was pretty sick by then. Dolores wasn't really supposed to be a book, but a piece for a magazine, IIRC - a "Jackie by Jackie" story that became a novella. It's basically a fictionalized account of Jacqueline Kennedy's life after JFK's assassination - her courtship with a rich Greek businessman. The writing is choppy and probably should have been polished more.
Maryann Fox
I had read this book several years ago, and decided to reread it after reading the new Jackie Kennedy Onassis book. It is a fictional story based on the days of Jackie after the assassination of her husband and her remarriage.
Caroline
I'm starting to think this book was an exact ripoff of wharton's Summer. Superimposed onto the life of Jackie Kennedy. Tho one features a poor woman and the other rich, their stunted love stories are almost identical. Of course I'm sure there are about a billion books on people marrying for practical reasons rather than passion.

Umm I stole it from the work used bookshelf. And I want to read it this weekend while relaxing and taking the waters. Or whatever I do during the weekends I don't have t
Amber Dance
Probably classified as a "beach read", it was easy to read and understand.
Jonathan
Meh. Not her best. Very obviously a rip-off of Jackie O's life.
Ashley
The end of the novel was the only time i felt sorry for Dolores. And even then just barely. I didn't like a single character in the book. I'm sure this book was written purely for fluff reading, but it just made me so angry. I couldn't handle how little anyone cared for anything but money. Is this the kind of stuff women in the 70's really enjoyed reading? And i only picked this up because the bookstore i bought it from didn't have Valley of the Dolls. Is that even worth reading?
Stephanie Holcomb
I wish there were a status on Goodreads that was "gave up" because ugh, this was horrible. I read Valley of the Dolls years ago and thought it was dated and dusty and not nearly as scandalous as I had heard, and written badly. I made it, oh, 70 pages into this monstrosity. YUCK. Just horribly written. I can't believe Jacquline Susann became famous but she was so risque for the time, I suppose. Sheesh.
Kate
Eh. Not awful, but no Valley. The ending did make me sad in a similar way that Valley did, but my biggest emotionto this book was anger at the way Dolores and other women are treated. I understand though that this is more a comment on the rich and materialistic and not a reflection of Jacqueline Susann's opinion. All in all I was glad to have found this book but it's far from my first choice.
Molly Lannin
I religiously read all of Susann's books because Valley of the Dolls toyed with my emotions. This was the 4th of hers I read, and while it was fairly interesting, it wasn't my favorite of hers.
Melanie
Not nearly as spectacular her other books...this one is lacking in its juiciness factor, charachter developement, and excitement; but still, typical js entertainment.
M'diya
A good book. Every character is critical. A sad ending. The book left me depressed. I'll now move on to some book that takes me out of this sadness.
Joy
Jan 21, 2010 Joy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I picked it up for fun and am quite enjoying it. Although, the Jackie O inspiration is pretty obvious.
Heidikris
Only 1 book left by Jacqueline that I have left to read, she was pretty kick ass for the 60's.
Eli
A Jacqueline Susann novel also from the library in Toledo. That's all I have to say.
Laura C.
Una novela , aunque ficticia, real y cruda como es la vida.
Jen
Not nearly as fun as Valley of the Dolls, but a quick trashy read.
Muffy Kroha
Dec 01, 2007 Muffy Kroha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Residents of the Valley of the Dolls
Kind of like reading Villette because you ran out of Brontes.
Emarie
this is no valley of the dolls. but it'll do in a pinch.
Trinity
I love her other books but this one didn't stack up.
Candice
This book rocks!
  • Lovely Me: The Life of Jacqueline Susann
  • The Lonely Lady
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Carpool Diem
  • Diana Vreeland Memos: The Vogue Years
  • First Born
  • If You Could See Me Now
  • Vengeance
  • Murder for Choir (Glee Club, #1)
  • If I Were You
  • Little Brothers
  • Stranger From The Past
Jacqueline Susann was one of the most successful writers in the history of American publishing. Her first novel, Valley of the Dolls, published in 1966, is one of the best-selling books of all time. When The Love Machine was published in 1969, it too became an immediate #1 bestseller and held that position for five months. When Once is Not Enough was published in 1973, it also moved to the top of ...more
More about Jacqueline Susann...
Valley of the Dolls Once Is Not Enough The Love Machine Yargo Every Night, Josephine!