Start by marking “Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)

Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  132 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Ten months ago, Samantha Hunt set off for work… and was never seen again.

Despite the statistics of cold cases, Dylan Scott wants to believe the young woman’s alive – and not just because her father, his client, is desperate to find his missing daughter before he dies of cancer. By all accounts Sam was a lovely girl, devoted to her younger stepsisters, well-liked at her wor
Published August 1st 2011 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Silent

Elizabeth B
Carina Press surprises me at every turn. Since I’m not a fan of mainstream fiction but enjoy being whisked away with a suspenseful story as much as the next gal and Carina Press never seems to disappoint. It’s newest contribution is no exception. From the first page, you are dropped into a world that is already swirling around you. There are things going on right and left and you have no clue what’s happening. It’s disorientating…and makes you want to keep reading to find out more.

I thoroughly
Linda Baker
Aug 27, 2011 Linda Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in Shirley Wells' Dylan Scott Mystery series (I hope!) is a quick, completely enjoyable read. Dylan Scott is going on with his life after the events in Presumed Dead. After his success at investigating a cold missing person case in Lancashire, he is hired to once again investigate in Dawson's Clough. Sam Hunt, an attractive young woman has been missing for 10 months and Dylan is hired by her father to find her. Once he begins, he feels something is definitely "off" with Sam's fat ...more
Kathy Jackson
Ten months ago, Samantha Hunt set off for work…and was never seen again.
Despite the statistics of cold cases, Dylan Scott wants to believe the young woman's alive—and not just because her father, his client, is desperate to find his missing daughter before he dies of cancer. By all accounts Sam was a lovely girl, devoted to her younger stepsisters, well-liked at her work, in love with her boyfriend.

But as usual not everything is as it seems in sleepy Dawson's Clough. Sam's boyfriend has a viol
Sian
Jan 01, 2012 Sian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This actually did start off pretty good.
I liked the storyline and the concept and there were a host of people who could have been behind Sam's disappearance, it wasn't nice and easy and clean cut.
But....somewhere near the end it lost it.

The storyline was really promising, I really liked Dylan and it was interesting reading with all of the other secondary characters.
I realised about half way through that this was the second in a series with this character, but this did do a good job of being a
Woofas
Dec 06, 2014 Woofas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For a book to be considered well written, in my opinion, it must be based upon a reasonable and believable plot. In this case the fundamental concept of the story falls apart when the so-called reason for the criminal's action is revealed at the end of the book. Add to this the whim upon which the "hero" decides to travel to the far reaches of the UK on the merest hint of a clue, overall I was left rather frustrated.
Kristina
Apr 28, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a good book. Well written and had you trying to figure it out all the way to the end. It lagged a little in the middle but I think that it's because it's an English author and personally I'm not used to that writing style yet. This is the second book in the series and I am looking forward to reading the next book. I would recommend this book to others.
Wendy Soliman
Sep 14, 2011 Wendy Soliman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really satisfying, gritty novel that kept me guessing right up to the last page. The hero has flaws that made me warm to him. He seems pretty down to earth but his tenacious character keeps him sniffing about, looking for a woman who's been missing for ten months and whom everyone assumes is dead. But, if she is, who killed her and why? She didn't appear to have a single enemy. Some very nasty characters put in appearances as well and I was rooting for them to get their comeuppance.

Shirley's
Clarissa Draper
Jun 05, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shirley-wells
I just love this series. I have read book one, and having loved it so much, bought book two. Next, book three! Can't wait.

The main character, Dylan Scott, is not your perfect protagonist. He's been a police officer, gone to jail, been kicked of the force and now struggles to make ends meet with a job as a private investigator. Also, his marriage has fallen apart.

In this novel, he takes the case of a missing woman, Sam, who has been gone ten months. No one wants to help him get answers. In fact,
Coralie
Another great story about Dylan solving a mystery. I enjoyed this one as much as the first and I will be reading the next in the series soon.
Lu
Oct 23, 2013 Lu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
La historia es muy buena y nada predecible,pase todo el libro sin saber que le había pasado a Sam y el detective Dylan Scott es un gran personaje, aunque por alguna razón no podía dejar de pensar en Hercules Poirot XD.

El final paso demasiado rápido para mi gusto,como si la autora hubiera tenido que terminar el libro en tantas paginas y tuvo que cortar una buena parte de la historia :/

Aun así es un buen libro.
Liz Fichera
Sep 12, 2011 Liz Fichera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After having inhaled PRESUMED DEAD, the first book in this series, I was so looking forward to DEAD SILENT. Dylan Scott was back with a vengeance, along with twists and turns throughout the story. Once again, I loved the edge in the storyline, the mystery, and the sleuthing by the gruff but loveable Dylan Scott.
Lhenry
A good procedural with Dylan going hither and yon to unravel what happened to a missing woman 13 years earlier. Interesting characters, and some unexpected twists made it an engrossing read. I found some of Dylan's thoughts about his marriage and wife were amusing but I admit it got a little old too.
Readers Roundtable
With a wide variety of startling twists and turns, Shirley Wells brings Dead Silent to a stunning and unanticipated conclusion that is guaranteed to shock her readers. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/myste...
Naomi
Aug 29, 2011 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was on the edge for me. I found it to be a bit "overacted" with the dramatic flare and predictable. It just left me with an empty feeling. I just really didn't see anything that made the book stand out. Yet, it did keep me entertained. Thus, the two stars!
Kathy
Aug 18, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a wide variety of startling twists and turns, Shirley Wells brings Dead Silent to a stunning and unanticipated conclusion that is guaranteed to shock her readers. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://bookreviewsandmorebykathy.com/...
Petula Darling
An enjoyable book. It took two hours after finishing it for me to notice how silly the actual mystery was.
Jess
Aug 23, 2015 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated
2.5 / 5
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Jovy Delfin
Jovy Delfin marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
HELEN FRY
HELEN FRY rated it it was amazing
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it really liked it
Wendy Brooking
Wendy Brooking rated it liked it
Judith Cartisano
Judith Cartisano rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Karla
Karla added it
Jun 16, 2016
christy cannell
christy cannell marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Samantha Nye
Samantha Nye marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Endless Night
  • Death Bed
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Hold Me
  • Deadly Obsession (DS Jack Mackinnon #1)
  • The Sausage Maker's Daughters
  • Ambitious (Premiere High #1)
  • Ghost Crown (The Tracks, #2)
  • A Life For A Life (Parish & Richards #1)
  • The Choir Boats (Longing for Yount #1)
  • Moon Spun (Unbidden Magic, #3)
  • Yesterday's Stardust (Lost Sanctuary #2)
  • The Cleansing
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • The Glass Collector
  • The Hangman in the Mirror
  • A Safe Place for Dying
  • Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4)

A Dylan Scott Mystery (8 books)
  • Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery #1)
  • Silent Witness (A Dylan Scott Mystery #3)
  • Dead Calm (A Dylan Scott Mystery #4)
  • Dying Art (A Dylan Scott Mystery, #5)
  • Deadly Shadows (A Dylan Scott Mystery, #6)
  • Dead End (A Dylan Scott Mystery, #7)
  • Dead Simple (A Dylan Scott Mystery, #8)