Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)

Dead Silent (A Dylan Scott Mystery #2)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Ten months ago, Samantha Hunt set off for work… and was never seen again.

Despite the statistics of cold cases, Dylan Scott wants to believe the young woman’s alive – and not just because her father, his client, is desperate to find his missing daughter before he dies of cancer. By all accounts Sam was a lovely girl, devoted to her younger stepsisters, well-liked at her wor...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Carina Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Silent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Silent

Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Originally reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

Dead Silentby Shirley Wells is the follow-up to Presumed Dead, in which Dylan Scott finds himself called back to the Lancashire town of Dawson’s Clough – a place he never thought he’d see again.

This time the private investigator has been called upon to solve another disappearance case, that of Samantha Hunt. Sam was a bright and bubbly young woman with her whole life ahead of her, until she failed to show up for work one morning and was never seen ag

Elizabeth B
Carina Press surprises me at every turn. Since I’m not a fan of mainstream fiction but enjoy being whisked away with a suspenseful story as much as the next gal and Carina Press never seems to disappoint. It’s newest contribution is no exception. From the first page, you are dropped into a world that is already swirling around you. There are things going on right and left and you have no clue what’s happening. It’s disorientating…and makes you want to keep reading to find out more.

I thoroughly...more
Linda Baker
The second book in Shirley Wells' Dylan Scott Mystery series (I hope!) is a quick, completely enjoyable read. Dylan Scott is going on with his life after the events in Presumed Dead. After his success at investigating a cold missing person case in Lancashire, he is hired to once again investigate in Dawson's Clough. Sam Hunt, an attractive young woman has been missing for 10 months and Dylan is hired by her father to find her. Once he begins, he feels something is definitely "off" with Sam's fat...more
Kathy Jackson
Ten months ago, Samantha Hunt set off for work…and was never seen again.
Despite the statistics of cold cases, Dylan Scott wants to believe the young woman's alive—and not just because her father, his client, is desperate to find his missing daughter before he dies of cancer. By all accounts Sam was a lovely girl, devoted to her younger stepsisters, well-liked at her work, in love with her boyfriend.

But as usual not everything is as it seems in sleepy Dawson's Clough. Sam's boyfriend has a viol...more
Sian
This actually did start off pretty good.
I liked the storyline and the concept and there were a host of people who could have been behind Sam's disappearance, it wasn't nice and easy and clean cut.
But....somewhere near the end it lost it.

The storyline was really promising, I really liked Dylan and it was interesting reading with all of the other secondary characters.
I realised about half way through that this was the second in a series with this character, but this did do a good job of being a...more
Wendy Soliman
A really satisfying, gritty novel that kept me guessing right up to the last page. The hero has flaws that made me warm to him. He seems pretty down to earth but his tenacious character keeps him sniffing about, looking for a woman who's been missing for ten months and whom everyone assumes is dead. But, if she is, who killed her and why? She didn't appear to have a single enemy. Some very nasty characters put in appearances as well and I was rooting for them to get their comeuppance.

Shirley's...more
Clarissa Draper
I just love this series. I have read book one, and having loved it so much, bought book two. Next, book three! Can't wait.

The main character, Dylan Scott, is not your perfect protagonist. He's been a police officer, gone to jail, been kicked of the force and now struggles to make ends meet with a job as a private investigator. Also, his marriage has fallen apart.

In this novel, he takes the case of a missing woman, Sam, who has been gone ten months. No one wants to help him get answers. In fact,...more
Lu
La historia es muy buena y nada predecible,pase todo el libro sin saber que le había pasado a Sam y el detective Dylan Scott es un gran personaje, aunque por alguna razón no podía dejar de pensar en Hercules Poirot XD.

El final paso demasiado rápido para mi gusto,como si la autora hubiera tenido que terminar el libro en tantas paginas y tuvo que cortar una buena parte de la historia :/

Aun así es un buen libro.
Liz Fichera
After having inhaled PRESUMED DEAD, the first book in this series, I was so looking forward to DEAD SILENT. Dylan Scott was back with a vengeance, along with twists and turns throughout the story. Once again, I loved the edge in the storyline, the mystery, and the sleuthing by the gruff but loveable Dylan Scott.
Lhenry
A good procedural with Dylan going hither and yon to unravel what happened to a missing woman 13 years earlier. Interesting characters, and some unexpected twists made it an engrossing read. I found some of Dylan's thoughts about his marriage and wife were amusing but I admit it got a little old too.
Readers Roundtable
With a wide variety of startling twists and turns, Shirley Wells brings Dead Silent to a stunning and unanticipated conclusion that is guaranteed to shock her readers. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/myste...
Naomi
This book was on the edge for me. I found it to be a bit "overacted" with the dramatic flare and predictable. It just left me with an empty feeling. I just really didn't see anything that made the book stand out. Yet, it did keep me entertained. Thus, the two stars!
Kathy
With a wide variety of startling twists and turns, Shirley Wells brings Dead Silent to a stunning and unanticipated conclusion that is guaranteed to shock her readers. To read my review in its entirety, please visit http://bookreviewsandmorebykathy.com/...
Petula Darling
An enjoyable book. It took two hours after finishing it for me to notice how silly the actual mystery was.
DianeAlice
DianeAlice marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 23, 2014
Delores Alger
Delores Alger marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Aug 20, 2014
Asra
Asra marked it as to-read
Judith
Judith added it
Sue-mick Roach
Sue-mick Roach marked it as to-read
Blaze
Blaze added it
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Presumed Dead (A Dylan Scott Mystery #1) Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1) A Darker Side (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #2) Silent Witness (A Dylan Scott Mystery #3) Where Petals Fall (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #3)